• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Experience As A Psychic Medium

... Is there a metaphor therein, regarding a visible perception which only some can ever experience?

I don't see much connection between the two ... Mental visualization is entirely a personal affair, and it relies on individual psychological / cognitive capabilities. The 'Magic Eyes' illusions were either visible or invisible across sets of people, and they were a matter of optical / perceptual processing. It seems to me there's a clear differentiation in terms of faculties involved and ability to share / verify / coordinate with others.

I don't see much connection between the two ... Mental visualization is entirely a personal affair, and it relies on individual psychological / cognitive capabilities. The 'Magic Eyes' illusions were either visible or invisible across sets of people, and they were a matter of optical / perceptual processing. It seems to me there's a clear differentiation in terms of faculties involved and ability to share / verify / coordinate with others.

You beat me to it! I was about to say that I'm very good at creative visualisation (hoards of dinosaurs used to parade along the valley in front of my kitchen window :) ) but I could never see those damn Magic Eye things! I was quite upset about it until a collegue similarly afflicted found out it was something to do with having a particular sort of short sightedness.

Sollywos x

I don't see much connection between the two ... Mental visualization is entirely a personal affair, and it relies on individual psychological / cognitive capabilities.
For sure... as noted, just a passing idea. With hindsight, what I had in mind was the premise, 'Is there a metaphor therein, regarding a perception which only some can ever experience?'.

Noting the omission of, 'visible'.

Does that change things?

For sure... as noted, just a passing idea. With hindsight, what I had in mind was the premise, 'Is there a metaphor therein, regarding a perception which only some can ever experience?'.
Noting the omission of, 'visible'.
Does that change things?

I don't see any metaphorical correspondence beyond "some people can do X, whereas others cannot."

At this level of generality it's the same as one could say of (e.g.) rolling one's tongue or bending one's digits a certain way.

The 'Magic Eyes' example extends no farther than this level of generality, because it concerns an outcome that can be tested (e.g., you either discern a Space Shuttle or you don't).

The aphantasia / mental imagery example goes further to differentiation at the level of individuals and the realm of those individuals' 'minds' - where outcomes cannot be tested and must either be accepted or disputed based on testimony. Leaving this example at the aggregate referential level of "some can / some can't" is no more informative than saying (e.g.) "some people dream and others do not."

I don't see any metaphorical correspondence beyond "some people can do X, whereas others cannot."
What if it was argued, contrary, that the, 'Magic Eye' is our *analogy*, because it evidences perception only given to some... same as any proclamations of 'psychic'.... let's call it, 'supernatural' (sic) powers?

What if it was argued, contrary, that the, 'Magic Eye' is our *analogy*, because it evidences perception only given to some... same as any proclamations of 'psychic'.... let's call it, 'supernatural' (sic) powers?

That doesn't do anything to change my earlier comments. It's just another reframing of the same 'some can; some can't' proposition. If that's the extent of whatever point it's intended to make - fine.

That doesn't do anything to change my earlier comments. It's just another reframing of the same 'some can; some can't' proposition. If that's the extent of whatever point it's intended to make - fine.
Seems precisely the point. Was wondering about perceptions only given to some and, 'in general', is the 'Magic Eye', comparative.

Just a thought, remember that craze with the, 'Magic Eye' illusions?

Only some of us could discern the, 'Hidden Picture', whilst others never could.

Is there a metaphor therein, regarding a visible perception which only some can ever experience?
I could never see those. We tried our hand at seeing auras at one of the workshops I attended, and apparently the key is to stare just above the person who's aura you are trying to see and let your eyes unfocus, a bit like trying to see those magic eye pictures. I never saw anything.

I could never see those bloody things then a mate explained about letting your eyes go out of focus as you look.

Once I new the technique I could see the image fine. I seem to remember I had a great sense of achievement; like I'd achieved a higher level of knowledge :cool:

Yup, I couldn't 'do' them until someone mentioned that a relation with a turn in one eye could, and as I have that very talent it all soon became clear to me.

The type of "vision" we're talking about here runs simultaneously with the real world, like having a TV on in the background.

I do this fairly often, especially when someone is talking to me, and I feel guilty because the movie running in my head is interesting to me and what the other person is saying seems boring. I just always thought I was being undisciplined and a little immature, since I wasn't giving all my attention to what I was "supposed to" but instead more engaged with my own little, inner world. Until I started to figure out that, even with my attention divided, I actually noticed more of what was happening in our immediate environment than the other person noticed.

One of the delights of this forum is how alert to outer and inner worlds the members are. It's never boring here!

:loveyou::twothumbs::sshot::sshot::fish::p
...One of the delights of this forum is how alert to outer and inner worlds the members are. It's never boring here!
This was a cracking post!

Just wondering... if the premise is, 'this Fortean, forum community, typically has a grasp of both inner and outer worlds...'.

Don't know for sure about that... :p

Back