• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Former Employer Was Investigated By MI5 For Links To Aleister Crowley & Occultism

An auntie of mine many years ago asked my uncle to take her to MI5 (she meant MFI).

Distraction, please continue...

And no TSA in Springfield, nor IBM in Armonk.
There's not even an ORD in Chicago.
No wonder we all feel so confused.

I was at uni - 1000 years ago - with someone doing, I forget the degree but it was something like French or German.

In her final year, she was approached one day by "some men" who asked her to work at GCHQ. She couldn't speak a word of Russian (this was during the Cold War), but after uni she took the job and had to speed-learn it.

Then, her entire job consisted of listening to Russian radio broadcasts. She said it was incredibly boring. Stuff about potatoes, etc. She'd thought she'd be doing something exciting.

My eldest was also approached, when he was only 17, and at college, to go on a scheme for a certain company that is involved with aerospace, arms and security (just had to look that up) - they offered to pay him the entire way through uni if he worked for them after. They wanted him for military flight sims development. Son turned them down, so is still paying a student loan back. He thought it wasn't ethical - he couldn't work for someone building things that killed people. I was proud of him. Told my dad (an old WW2 paratrooper) thinking he'd be disappointed and he was just as proud as me, that son told them go swivel.

We never were told how they found him - he just went to a really crap local state school and this was in 6th form college. Whether the teachers tipped them off about the most talented kids, or what. He never applied for it. They just approached him, out of the blue.

He is now a developer, and always gets head hunted - doesn't need to apply for jobs so I am guessing he must be good - but got there on his own £s.

Last edited:
My wife went to one of “those schools” and tells me she was approached in sixth form .(ooh matron!).
By MI5. Apparently it was quite common. Anyway it didn’t get far. They started background checks, found out her father was a union official and (literally) card carrying member of British communist party.
That was the end of it! :hahazebs:

Back