• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Ghost Survey

I was thinking about something similar today (mods please move if there’s a better place for this). I was looking at the website for Chambercombe Manor, nr Ilfracombe. From their website they are reknown for paranormal activities that have happen there, and that Most Haunted have featured the property. It’s now on the market, I think due to the cost of upkeep of what looks to be a genuinely beautiful and interesting property, which is very sad. The sales details though make no mention (as far as I can see) of any paranormal activity or connections. I’m curious whether you think it is morally / ethically / whatever-ly wrong to omit such information, or should any potential buyer be expected to research that kind of detail themselves and draw their own conclusions?
One million pounds if anyone is interested

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/121286465#/?channel=RES_BUY

I was thinking about something similar today (mods please move if there’s a better place for this). I was looking at the website for Chambercombe Manor, nr Ilfracombe. From their website they are reknown for paranormal activities that have happen there, and that Most Haunted have featured the property. It’s now on the market, I think due to the cost of upkeep of what looks to be a genuinely beautiful and interesting property, which is very sad. The sales details though make no mention (as far as I can see) of any paranormal activity or connections. I’m curious whether you think it is morally / ethically / whatever-ly wrong to omit such information, or should any potential buyer be expected to research that kind of detail themselves and draw their own conclusions?
For the greater part of the population - the poor misguided souls who have no interest in Our Kind of Thing - I would suppose it to be irrelevant information.

Thank you, this is very interesting. I tried contacting the Langham and this is what they said, "Phoebe Sington, the Marketing Communications Executive informs me that, "Though we appreciate the outreach we will have to decline this opportunity as it is not a story we wish to progress."

One hotel said that they had no ghosts but they don't advertise its association with spooks because, being a wedding venue, this would have a detrimental effect on the business. So, I think that we can infer that they wouldn't say anything even if a troupe of laughing cavaliers, their heads tucked under the arms, were prancing through the lobby every night.

Then there was another location, where the proprietor said that he didn't believe in ghosts but had had some strange phenomena (which he recounted over the phone). He was quite happy to chat even though he intimated that having ghosts could be bad for business as no one wanted to experience bumps in the night. I told him that there were hundreds of people who would happily stay at his establishment based on its spooky reputation alone, and he seemed a bit placated by that. But of all the categories of locations, hotels were the worst to reply.
Having both worked and simultaneously lived in a haunted hotel (for almost two years)? ... the work is hard and the hours are long as a staff member so simple staff tiredness is also a factor as well as trying to focus more on running the place as a business. That didn't stop me giving one local group an unofficial tour after the owner had refused permission though one evening because I wanted to know what was (or wasn't) happening there as well. I had to do it low key though.

Some of our team visited Worstead on the 22nd of January this year to try to recreate the 'white lady ghost' photo for a (as yet) unpublished video. Unfortunately, although advertised as open, St Mary's Church was closed that day so we all ended up taking shelter at The White Lady pub www.thewhitelady.co.uk and the barmaid was super enthusiastic to talk to us as well as sharing an unpublished sinister suicide story set in the barn conversion she and her partner live in next to the church. We sadly weren't able to stick around long enough for the landlord to return so we could interview him (apparently their cellar is also haunted) but she promoted him as being equally enthusiastic to talk with people like us. The pub also owns an original print of the famous photo which isn't even framed that I got to handle and study.

Back