• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Illusions Delusions

Would you like this thread to stay open and for the story to continue?

• YES

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You acknowledge the ‘angry mob’ rushing you to finish the story (or at least get to the point).

Are you in the position to accept the criticism surrounding this aspect of your writing ability ?
You could try inviting a professionally qualified and trusted english teacher to teach the basics of creative writing.
Oh, I have had classes on that... what you witnessed here is the freeform stream of conciousness... it is not edited, or proper, I know... some complain that too clean of writing on these boards lacks sincerity, so I gave them what they asked for...

I do have editors. At least 8 edits for each published item, and they still aren"t perfect. But I do do not believe in cookie cutter perfection as it does detract from the essences of realism.

Last edited:
You mentioned having brothers who'd taught you to use a mask, fins, and snorkel. There's no mention of your brothers during the course of the Captain America period. Where were they? Did they ever see or interact with Captain America?

You could try inviting a professionally qualified and trusted english teacher to teach the basics of creative writing.

Harsh! Kchoos story is better written and more interesting than most of the current dross spewed out by the publishing industry right now (esp from digital imprints who are churning out masses of throwaway ebooks that clog up the Amazon top 100 lists).

He writes clearly and carefully and some of us like that style. I hate writers who think that "proper writing" is to stuff pages with every ridiculous bit of symbolism and metaphor they can come up with.

The question for me is - as I mentioned in another post - is this (lengthy) narrative-style appropriate for this forum? I think judging by most comments on this thread, probably not.

EDIT spelling!

Last edited:
Oh, I have had classes on that... what you witnessed here is the freeform stream of conciousness... it is not edited, or proper, I know... some complain that too clean of writing on these boards lacks sincerity, so I gave them what they asked for...

I do have rditors. At least 8 edits for each published item, and they stoll aren"t perfect. But I do do not believe in cookie cutter perfection as it does detract from the essences of realism.

How can something be ‘realism’ when you are ‘making it up’ in a “free form stream of consciousness”.?

Not sure anyone on these boards complains about writing being “too clean” you’re making that up too.
and those that lack sincerity ? Hmm, we query stories that lack believability - is that what you mean ?

As to your actual experience, Kchoo, my mind is busy framing it in something that it is comfortable with, something it can "believe".

So, my mind feels comfortable with the idea that you did have an experience as a kid, whereby you interacted with Captain America, and this experience was later invalidated by other people. We have threads on here about just such things - people who have strong memories of people/events, but when mentioned to other people are denied.

The bits my mind has trouble "believing" are, firstly the length of time this went on for, and secondly, that people at the time (rather than later) denied his existence, rather than years later.

The reason my mind has trouble with this is that it can comfortably believe in the distortion of a memory, but it can't believe a person existed, who only you saw, who hung out at the gym.

Please understand, I am not commenting on your integrity, more the limits of what my mind will and will not accept.

You quite obviously do have a strong imagination, and as a fellow creative I know what that's like. I am therefore minded to ask you if having a definite line between Real v Imagination is something that you do now, or have ever, struggled with? Because this reads to me like a strange experience that planted a seed in your imagination that grew, and that now as an adult, you remember the imagining as reality?

I really hope you take this post in the spirit with which it is intended. My own mind is limited in how far it will stretch to accommodate someone's paranormal experience, before it starts to look for psychological reasons.

In any case, thank you for writing.

EDIT cleaned-up some writing (I am typing on a phone, with one arm in a splint, which makes things much more difficult than I would've imagined)

Last edited:
How can something be ‘realism’ when you are ‘making it up’ in a “free form stream of consciousness”.?

Not sure anyone on these boards complains about writing being “too clean” you’re making that up too.
and those that lack sincerity ? Hmm, we query stories that lack believability - is that what you mean ?
Free form stream of conciousness is a style. It does not mean I made it up on the fly, it means to simply let the story flow in the natural process of remembering it.

I dont know why questioning believability is such a hot topic item as this forum is about sharing real but unbelievable things to begin with.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have trouble understanding your intention.
Are you really trying to help or is this posturing only serving to place yourself above others or more specifically, Me?

As to your actual experience, Kchoo, my mind is busy framing it in something that it is comfortable with, something it can "believe".

So, my mind feels comfortable with the idea that you did have an experience as a kid, whereby you interacted with Captain America, and this experience was later invalidated by other people. We have threads on here about just such things - people who have strong memories of people/events, but when mentioned to other people are denied.

The bits my mind has trouble "believing" are, firstly the length of time this went on for, and secondly, that people at the time (rather than later) denied his existence, rather than years later.

The reason my mind has trouble with this is that it can comfortably believe in the distortion of a memory, but it can't believe a person existed, who only you saw, who hung out at the gym.

Please understand, I am not commenting on your integrity, more the limits of what my mind will and will not accept.

You quite obviously do have a strong imagination, and as a fellow creative I know what that's like. I am therefore minded to ask you if having a definite line between Real v Imagination is something that you do now, or have ever, struggled with? Because this reads to me like a strange experience that planted a seed in your imagination that grew, and that now as an adult, you remember the imagining as reality?

I really hope you take this post in the spirit with which it is intended. My own mind is limited in how far it will stretch to accommodate someone's paranormal experience, before it starts to look for psychological reasons.

In any case, thank you for writing.
I love this post. Thank you. It is a heartfelt reader feedback.
I did my best to tell the story exactly as I remember it, but
I agree with you. I have had the same struggle with it myself, but
I tried not to embelish the memories.

This is the only time I have tried to write this story, and many years have passed, but this is been with me since that day I was grounded, and never resolved.

I do not know why things happened this way.

I dont think I have trouble with reality in general. Just a few anomolous things in my life have made me question that...

...Because people often only see things from their own false perspective. To invite a professionaly qualified and trusted advisor is one way to solidify balance in their lives. ..

But don't the people involved only tell the adviser what they want him/her to hear ?

My argument would be that, unless you are living withing the situation day and night you will never get a true idea of what is actually happening.

INT21

dont know why questioning believability is such a hot topic item as this forum is about sharing real but unbelievable things to begin with.
/QUOTE]

i know this comment wasn't aimed at me, Kchoo, but just on this one point - everyone on here gets questioned, and the more "unbelievable" a story, the harder you will get questioned about its believability. As no doubt you know, some people come on forums to yank people's chains, thriving off the attention, and it gets tiring.

You mentioned having brothers who'd taught you to use a mask, fins, and snorkel. There's no mention of your brothers during the course of the Captain America period. Where were they? Did they ever see or interact with Captain America?
There is a segment about that, but I skipped to the end... and it really didnt add much to the story.

I love this post. Thank you. It is a heartfelt reader feedback.
I did my best to tell the story exactly as I remember it, but
I agree with you. I have had the same struggle with it myself, but
I tried not to embelish the memories.

This is the only time I have tried to write this story, and many years have passed, but this is been with me since that day I was grounded, and never resolved.

I do not know why things happened this way.

I dont think I have trouble with reality in general. Just a few anomolous things in my life have made me question that...
Ok, thank you.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have trouble understanding your intention.
Are you really trying to help or is this posturing only serving to place yourself above others or more specifically, Me?
I’m one of the 55% of your readers that you alienated with your incredibly naive and morally superior opinions on the cause and prevention of divorce.
You have proved your willingness and ability to give out ‘advice’ and criticism - you better be ready to receive it !

...Because people often only see things from their own false perspective. To invite a professionaly qualified and trusted advisor is one way to solidify balance in their lives. ..

But don't the people involved only tell the adviser what they want him/her to hear ?

My argument would be that, unless you are living withing the situation day and night you will never get a true idea of what is actually happening.

INT21
If they don't trust the advisor they might.

You have to work to grow... councelors don't solve your issues, they guide you to solve your own issues and offer a third party objective viewpoint.

I’m one of the 55% of your readers that you alienated with your incredibly naive and morally superior opinions on the cause and prevention of divorce.
You have proved your willingness and ability to give out ‘advice’ and criticism - you better be ready to receive it !
Ok, I am not here to fight, but I dont care if a statistic offends you.

I love good advice, do give some.

...they guide you to solve your own issues and offer a third party objective viewpoint. ..

One wonders why people can't sort out their own problems.

But here is a point.

How does the confidentiality thing work ?

I can't see how a counselor can satisfy the opposing approaches of the Scientific Method and The Hippocratic Oath of Confidentiality at the same time.

INT21

We've now had enough personal comments.
Further digressions in this line will be removed without consultation.

If you do not like a poster or his views, please employ the IGNORE function.

...they guide you to solve your own issues and offer a third party objective viewpoint. ..

But here is a point.

I can't see how a counselor can satisfy the opposing approaches of the Scientific Method and The Hippocratic Oath of Confidentiality at the same time.

INT21
Okay, I dont care about that, but I could see how others might have that fear

They create case studies for the scientific purposes based on real cases, but names, places, etc are changed so patients remain anon in the academic scientific discussions and studies.

Journals are usually statistical and case examples are generified examples.

They do not share info between spouses, if that is what concerns you.

Kchoo,

I'm still not sure how you are expecting us to react to this story.

You did entitle the thread 'My illusions/delusions'

An Illusion being something that isn't there, and a delusion being the belief that, for instance, you are being watched.

You also do admit to having undergone some kind of therapy because of this.

How do you actually expect us to react ?

INT21.

(Surely you are not just trolling?)

..They do not share info between spouses, if that is what concerns you. ..

Indeed it is.

If the husband claims one thing, how can the therapist come to a conclusion without verifying it with the other party ?

You do see the problem.

INT21.

Kchoo,

I'm still not sure how you are expecting us to react to this story.

You did entitle the thread 'My illusions/delusions'

An Illusion being something that isn't there, and a delusion being the belief that, for instance, you are being watched.

You also do admit to having undergone some kind of therapy because of this.

How do you actually expect us to react ?

INT21.

(Surely you are not just trolling?)

Just to clarify your excellent point. A delusion can be much more than being watched, it's more like a belief that is utterly unshakeable but not based in reality.

But here is a point.

INT21

What's the issue with confidentiality?

Indeed it is.

If the husband claims one thing, how can the therapist come to a conclusion without verifying it with the other party ?

You do see the problem.

INT21.

I'm confused here.

If a couple enters therapy together there is a joint confidentiality and ground rules are set. If for some reason the therapist talks to one party alone that information can be shared with the other spouse and no breach of confidentiality has occurred. It's really straight forward.

It's not really how it should work but I can see it happening if one of the spouses does not attend the sessions.

Indeed it is.

You do see the problem.

INT21.
In my experience they are really smart. I think they follow their guidelines very concientiously there. I have no fear of it, anyway. If there are concerns, perhaps see an isolated counselor that does not have any connection with the other party. It is more about you that way. But it wont mean all your problems will he solved. They only give you tools to work it out, and coaching to help ensure you are not going down a rabbit hole.

Ultimately they leave it up to you.

I'm confused here.

If a couple enters therapy together there is a joint confidentiality and ground rules are set. If for some reason the therapist talks to one party alone that information can be shared with the other spouse and no breach of confidentiality has occurred. It's really straight forward.

It's not really how it should work but I can see it happening if one of the spouses does not attend the sessions.

Joint counselling is not advised where one of the partners is coercive or abusive. In that case the counselling is not to mend the marriage, but to give the partner who is undergoing counselling the sufficient mental wherewithal to leave,.

Joint counselling is not advised where one of the partners is coercive or abusive. In that case the counselling is not to mend the marriage, but to give the partner who is undergoing counselling the sufficient mental wherewithal to leave,.

Good point, but the therapist wouldn't share any information with the abusive partner as he or she wouldn't be involved in the therapy. I was talking about couples who are seeking to improve the marriage together. If a therapist identifies an abusive partner as part of therapy I'm guessing the joint councilling would then be terminated and both offered separate alternatives.

Back