• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Illusions Delusions

Would you like this thread to stay open and for the story to continue?

• YES

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kchoo

Lunar Goon III Pilot
So there are anomalies in my life I do not tie to Kchoo Experience, but rather, my life in general.

Last edited:
I was an 8 year old child hood college student:

I was not enrolled. My mom was.

She needed a way for me to feel like I had a summer, but she wanted to accelerate to the end of her degree. Rather than hire a nanny, she figured out how to keep me near her while she was on campus.

The University had an Olympic-sized outdoor swimming pool. She knew some of the life gaurds so she had them keep an eye on me. I was not much of a problem, as I was happy in the water. I had been taking lessons since I was four, and my brothers even taught me how to use a mask, fins, and snorkel. I loved to swim. Often throwing a PENNY and free diving for it. I was easily entertained, and college students were notorious for losing things while flirting and cavorting with each other in the pool. Sometimes I could work a deal for enough change to buy a bag of chips and a soda from the vending machines, by negotiating with them to retrieve lost bracelets, necklaces and earrings.

On saturdays, I could invite my friends to go to the pool with me. We were all impressed with a very muscular man that frequented the pool. Sometimes he was a lifeguard, sometimes he was the pool cleaner, sometimes he was just a guy working on his tan.

Mom said he was a professional student. He also taught physical education, kinematics, and math.

My friend thought he looked like Captian America, so that name stuck. He didn’t seem to mind...

Captain was a nice guy, and me and my two best friends were in awe of him. We asked him all sorts of questions...

“Do you have super powers?”
“How did you get all those muscles?”
“Have you been on TV, like the Incredible Hulk?”
“Are you friends with Aquaman.”

He as always friendly and answered our questions.
“No I do not have super powers.”
“I work out. I swim, and pump iron for four hours a day, six days a week.”
“I have been in a student film, it was not very good. We had no budget.”
“I know a real live person that reminds me of Aquaman, but Aquaman is fiction.”

One day he said it was time to pump iron, so I followed him. It looked like a classroom turned into a weight room, and it was located just behind the receptionist desk, near the Instructors’ offices.

He walked in and shut the door. I tried to turn the knob and go in, but it would not open. It was magnetically locked.

“You can’t go in there”, said the receptionist, “And you need to dry off before you come in here anyway. This is a professional building.”

“Okay.” I took the towel off my shoulders and dried the water spots as I retreated toward the door. “Sorry..”

The next day, I saw him at the pool. I hadn’t removed my T Shirt yet, hoping that if I was dry, they would let me in...

“I looked in the window of the weight room... I want to look like Captain America too. Can I go in if I am your guest?”

“I don’t know. That is serious stuff. You can get really hurt if you don’t know what you are doing.”

He must have had a soft spot for people wanting to learn about fitness. He studied my seriousness for a few seconds, and said, “Let’s go find out...”

He put his hand on my shoulder, walked me past the receptionist, “He is my guest.”
Without a word or even a bob of her head, she buzzed us in.

Last edited:
He taught me proper gym ettiquette, wiping down equipment before and after. Next, he showed me two free weight exercises with some light dumbbells.

“Welcome to gym 101. We will start with Biceps.” He flexed his, then demonstrated the method, “You can only grow by feeling the burn... do as many curls as you can until you cannot hold the weight any longer. Then rest. Then do it two more times. You want to feel the burn, not pain. Pain is when your body is injured. Use the burn, working your muscle to failure, this will teach it to grow. Next week, you will be able to do more. You may even notice your arm feels stronger, and after only the first week, it may look stronger. That is the fun part.”

I did what he said. My arms were sore the next day, but I was not in pain. I liked it... I was convinced my muscles were already growing... I knew I was on my way to being just like The Captain.

Sometimes I did not see him for a week, or more. I think the longest was two weeks, and that happened right after that day of ‘Gym 101’.

I was swimming more now, working on excercising my chest, arms and legs by swimming with good form until my muscles burned. After a long swim I hung into the edge of the pool and pushed my mask and snorkel up to my forehead.

He was sitting on the edge of the pool with his feet in the water.

I saluted, “Captain!”

He saluted back, “Howdy partner!”

I pulled myself up, and sat next to him with my feet in the water, and said, “Long time no see. Where have you been?”

He said he was just busy with finals, researching a for a paper, being a teacher, a manager, a student, and a Body Builder, with a very tight schedule. He only allowed himself one evening out once a week when his girl was in town.

“Wow.” I said, “Don’t you watch TV?”

“Not much.” He said, “But I like ‘Welcome Back Cotter’ and occasionally, I get to watch it.”

“Wow.”, I said, “All work and no play?”

Captain, “When you love what you do, you never really feel like it is work.”

Me, “I have been swimming a lot... going for the burn... see my muscles?” I FLEXED just like I had seen him do when he was showing off his shoulders, and chest...”.

He smiled and said, “Pretty good! It is working... you could even embarrass some of my students... haha.”

I squinted, “I Want to do some more work in the gym, but without you, they won’t let me in.”

He said, “I am not always around, and even when I am, I may not have the time. Ask your mom for a weight set your size. If she says it is okay, have her talk to me, and I will make sure you get a good one.”

He stood, and looked down at me, “In the meantime, Keep swimming. I already believe in you, Aqua Man.”

I posed as I thought a super hero would, breathing in, flexing my muscles, pushing my chest forward, “Thanks, Captain America!”

I Asked mom that afternoon about getting my own weights.
I didn’t see Captian that week, but the next Saturday, a bench and a barbell, and two dumbbells were on my back patio.

She must have talked to him.”, I thought.

THANKS MOM!”

Mom, came out to the patio, “Huh... where’d that come from?”

Last edited:
Summer school was over, and I guess the weight bench came at just the right time, because I didn’t go to the campus with mom... it was just—over.

So I still had my bike, and my patio had just become a mini gym. My friends were allowed to come over, and I taught them Gym 101. We worked out every Saturday for a while, and I would work out a few times a week by myself.
I picked up a book on weight raining at the library, and learned more on my own, but it wasn’t the same...

Aqua Man didn’t have a pool...
School was okay, but I thought Mom’s Campus was better... at least they had a pool. By Christmas. It was too cold to use the patio... I drifted away from working out as much, shifting my focus to playing with my new toys, and watching Star Trek on TV. Funny... I remember pieces of the third Grade, but nothing stands out too much... just school...

Until Summer came again. Mom again enrolled in summer classes, and I was going to get to go back to college!

Skinny, I'm sure the paranormal part of the story will be along shortly.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.
Kchoo, I think you watched the Jason Momoa film recently? The film called Aquaman? Was it any good? I heard it was a fun thing, but it won't make anybody's must-see list.

I'm watching Game of Thrones Season One again for the fifth, maybe the eighth time, and he is a shit actor. I'd drink with him anyway. I'd drink with Boss Nass too.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.
Kchoo, I think you watched the Jason Momoa film recently? The film called Aquaman? Was it any good? I heard it was a fun thing, but it won't make anybody's must-see list.

I'm watching Game of Thrones Season One again for the fifth, maybe the eighth time, and he is a shit actor. I'd drink with him anyway. I'd drink with Boss Nass too.

Havent seen it, and no... this is a very different story...
Rambling? How?
Paranormal? Unknown, but anomolous.
Memoirs? I suppose... but arent most fortean posts a type of memoir?

Sorry, Kchoo. I'm drinking hard tonight (hence arsehole style) and was picking at your seeming lack of a point. I'll wait. Take your time. Sorry to be so direct. I'm not British. Lose the dog after the first 5 beers. Apparently it's an Aussie thing. Nothing personal.

Sorry, Kchoo. I'm drinking hard tonight (hence arsehole style) and was picking at your seeming lack of a point. I'll wait. Take your time. Sorry to be so direct. I'm not British. Lose the dog after the first 5 beers. Apparently it's an Aussie thing. Nothing personal.
I like Aussies. You always know what is on their mind.

... and wish they'd STFU. I understand completely.
I'm still growing. As you were.

We're happy to host memories, reminscences and anecdotes here. We've had many over the years and some are interesting to read, but if there's no unexplained or unusual element the thread will be moved to CHAT at some stage.

We're happy to host memories, reminscences and anecdotes here. We've had many over the years and some are interesting to read, but if there's no unexplained or unusual element the thread will be moved to CHAT at some stage.
Thanks. There is an element of strangness, but it will take some time to get there. I am just providing the background elements right now.

Thanks. There is an element of strangness, but it will take some time to get there. I am just providing the background elements right now.
Ok. I'm sure the background will benefit the narrative. Looking forward to hearing the rest :) .

My first day back to campus, The Captain did come out to the pool after I did a bit of swimming. When I noticed him, he was working on his tan and doing some stretches with a towel. “Howdy Captain”, I said.
He didn’t seem to hear me, so I climbed out of the pool, and walked toward him. “Howdy.” I said again.

He finally heard me, but only nodded my direction.

“Captain? You okay? Remember me.”

“Yes, I remember you.., you were doing so well! WHAT happened to you?” He pinched at a bulge that had developed on my sides and He looked disappointed.

“It got too cold for weights, and I kind of got out of the habit. I only come to the pool with my mom when she is is in summer classes, but I am back now, and swimming again. She says it is time for me to shed the winter coat.”

He laughed, “Winter coat? I never heard of it.”

Me, “Yeah... I should have started with the weights again sooner.,.”

Captain, “Yeah. You should have brought them inside.., set them up in your room.., use them all year... I suppose you didn’t think of that?”

He turned and walked to get a bottle of water, and took a big drink, then shook his head, “Winter COAT! He He haha.”

I didn’t like the idea of disappointing him, but he was right... I don’t know why I didn’t bring the weights inside... “Yeah, lame excuse, huh?”

He studied my face, “Well, fitness isn’t something you only do in fair weather.... fitness is a priority.... you have to make time for it every day of the year... do something—sit-ups, pushups— you can do them anywhere, almost any time. Your mom is right, you can get rid of the winter coat, but don’t put it on again next year. It will be harder to get rid of each time. Stay fit and strong, all year from now on.”

He gathered his towel and water bottle. “Time for my third hour in the gym today...”

I walked with him, “Did you put that bench on my patio?”

“Yes.”

“Did you talk to my mom about it?”

“No... I gave you a set a student sold me for next to nothing... my gift to you.”

“Thank you. The bench has a loose weld on the frame... can you fix that?”

He looked at me again, almost in disbelief, “Yeah... I can weld it... I will stop by when I have the time.” We stopped at the entrance to the hall where the weight room and office area was. “You can’t come in here... I will see you soon.”

“Okay.”

He opened the door and slipped in, letting it close behind him without looking back.

Last edited:
The next Saturday, Mom went to the library, and I went to the patio and started my weight training again. Avoiding bench work because the weld that was broken supported the back board and It bent downwards when I put weight on it. I didn’t want to make things worse. A truck pulled up out front and The Captain unloaded a portable welder.
He helped himself in by reaching over the gate and lifting the clasp, “Show me the problem.”

“Right here... “.

“Easy fix.” He said. He held out a second welding helmet. “Here, put this on.”
He turned over the bench, Put his helmet on, dropped the visor, so I did the same. I watched the rod melt into the surrounding metal.

He stood, raised his visor, turned off the welder.
The board was smoking near the welded area.

He picked up the bench, turned it upright.
“Try it out.”

I watched, to make sure the board stopped smoking. “All ready?”

“Try it..”

So I laid on it... wiggled a bit, and pushed the bar up for 12 reps at 25 lbs. “Yep.”

He nodded, “Tell Me about your workout plan.”

I told him what I learned from my library book and added, “And from now on, all year long.”

He nodded again. “Sounds good. You already look better. Amazing how fast your muscles come back, huh? It is called muscle memory... your swimming muscles will come back quickly... but whatever gains you make, you will need to maintain the rest of your life. No winter breaks.”

“How did you know where I live?”

He looked up, “I have access to student records... I looked it up as easy as looking up a phone number.”

“Just wondering, Mom didn’t know where the weights came from.”

He nodded and grinned, “I bet she could guess.”

Me, “Yeah.. what is your name.”

Captain, “I am David after the Greek Statue, and sometimes, Captain America!”

“What is your real name.”

Captain, “You couldn’t pronounce it.”

Me, “You are weird.”

Captain, “That isn’t nice to call people names.”

Me, “I will ask my mom.”

Him, “Arnold.”

Me, “Fine, I will just call you Captain. Until I ask my mom...”

He stood, grabbed the handle on top of the welder. “I think it will hold. Let me know if it doesn’t hold.”

He let himself out, and put the stuff in his truck, and turned back to say, “I won’t be around next week, keep swimming, keep lifting... See you at the pool when I get back. I want to see those muscles growing.”

“I found out where the weight set came from.”

Mom, “Oh?”

“Yeah, the fitness instructor that hangs out at the pool. Nice guy, but a little strange.”

Mom, “I figured it was something like that.”

“What is his name?”

Mom, “I don’t know him.”

Me, “He knows who you are, and he knew how to find the house by looking up student records. He acted like you could have guessed where the weight set came from.”

Mom, “Oh, that guy with all the muscles? I have seen him... But I don’t know him... Strange how? “

Me, “I asked him his name and he gave me a bunch of different ones... So, I don’t know his name.”

Mom, “I will find out.”

Last edited:
Mom went with me to the pool. She picked out a nice lounge chair under an umbrella and opened a book.

I played in the water as usual, and enjoyed it.

Later I heard her call to me, and she waved me to come over. She was standing next to a fit male life guard. “Is this the guy you were telling me about?”

“No. He sad he wouldn’t be around this week... but this guy knows him I bet.” I turned to him, “What is the name of that super muscles guy that works out all the time?”

Lifeguard, “I don’t rmember seeing anyone like that here.”

Ken's "playful imaginings" (his own description from his Amazon com page) are quite well-written and entertaining. If, however, they are just a protracted method of plugging his books, then I would concur with Yith's suggestion that these threads would sit more comfortably in the Chat or Fortean Reads section.

Ken's "playful imaginings" (his own description from his Amazon com page) are quite well-written and entertaining. If, however, they are just a protracted method of plugging his books, then I would concur with Yith's suggestion that these threads would sit more comfortably in the Chat or Fortean Reads section.
I have not mentioned my books.
I am not here to plug them.
Patience is a virtue. I ask not to be judged to quickly.
But thanks for checking me out. ;)

Back