• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Illusions Delusions

Would you like this thread to stay open and for the story to continue?

• YES

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So my brother read my story and wrote me...

"Hi brother,
Cool writing. it's an interesting story.

I can't tell if you are just writing, or if you are really working on your childhood memories.

My memories from near the time you were around 8 include me buying a weight bench from a garage sale. At 8 you probably did wonder where the weights came from.

My friend's Dad was studying welding at the local college. We went down and watched him weld. Maybe that's the source of your welding memory. There was another time that dad needed something welded but I can't remember what. I think he took us with him to a welder some where and we watched through visors as the job was done. I'm sure it would make a big impression on a young child so there were all these events in your life except for Capt."
So this delusion is mostly concluded, but still have dreams about him. He is kind of like an Obi Wan--- Here, but not really here... lol.
Kind of a guide... my Jimminy Cricket...

And a hero...

As real as any super hero could be...

I'm glad your brother provided some additional facts to put the Captain America memories into perspective.

There's nothing wrong with having woven things into a narrative that was more symbolic than historically precise - whether the interweaving occurred at the time in a child's mind or later as memory simmered the past's elements into a persistent form.

Since you brought up the subject of interrelating facts with the Captain saga ...

One of the few externally check-able references you made in telling the story demonstrated misremembering if not mis-correlating events.

According to your narrative Captain told you during that first summer of 1975 he'd watched Welcome Back Kotter. That sitcom didn't premiere until September of that year - i.e., after both you and Captain would have been back in school and the summer days at the pool had concluded.

You might say all memories are virtual, and therefore subject to inacuracies... especially this kind...

Back