• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Strangest Experience

Happiness

Junior Acolyte
Maybe I should do a little introduction here as well ? I was reading a thread on mumsnet of all places and there was a link to this site so I've had a little peruse and love it. I had no idea what to do for a username so it's very random!
I've had a few experiences but didnt want to put them all in one thread incase I bored people so thought I would go with the one I never discuss in real life.
I was about 14 and it must have scarred me so much I completely blanked it out of my mind for a few years and never talk about it out loud. You'll probably read it and think I am insane actually because it's not like "I saw a Victorian gentleman" or anything like that.
So my grandparents had gone on a cruise for 2 weeks and their house was right opposite the stop where the school bus dropped me off. I would always pop in to see them and have my tea there before going out with friends so I just carried on doing this whilst they were away but eating microwave meals that they had left for me.
One day I was watching TV in their living room after school & I heard a loud bang come from one of the bedrooms (it's making me get all panicky thinking about it). I went upstairs and walked into the room I had heard the noise coming from.
My nan used to have a vase of flowers on the window ledge and I noticed it wasnt there. I dont know why but I just felt like I needed to look under the bed. I bent down and what I saw completely freaked me out . I could hear my heart beating in my chest really loudly but I also felt like it had dropped into my stomach, I'm not sure I have ever felt fear like it although have come close on other occasions. This is the part where you will think I am crazy
The vase was lying on its side by the side of the bed and the flowers from it were arranged in a perfect circle type shape like they had been placed there. All my nans 'ladies' as we used to call them (they were white Victorian ladies dalton ornaments) were standing around as though it was some kind of ritual . I cant even explain it but I know it wasnt "right" I just got this horrible feeling that nothing was "right" . The day before , those ornaments had been in a glass cabinet in the dining room and I know I had seen them and nobody else had a key apart from my parents. This sounds completely barmy I know but there were no windows open and the bed was too far away from the window ledge for the vase to have fallen and rolled under there. How did the ladies get there ? When I eventually mustered up the courage to get downstairs to the phone, I rang my mam absolutely sobbing that something weird had happened , I wasnt making any sense. I left the house and my step-dad came down to clean it all up and we never mentioned it again.
I blocked it out until about 4 years later when I was pregnant with my first child & I was sat with my nan who was telling me a creepy story about that bedroom. It all came flooding back to me ! I'm generally a sceptical person although open minded... I would say agnostic if that term can be used for weirdy stuff ? My parents confirmed it had happened (because when the memory came back I thought I had dreamed it) but they had never mentioned it to my grandparents when they returned and never brought it up with me again because I had been so scared .
I am epileptic & often hallucinate before a seizure so I am fully aware of what the brain can make you think. But this was a solid thing that other people saw ... just weird.

Maybe I should do a little introduction here as well ? I was reading a thread on mumsnet of all places and there was a link to this site so I've had a little peruse and love it. I had no idea what to do for a username so it's very random!
I've had a few experiences but didnt want to put them all in one thread incase I bored people so thought I would go with the one I never discuss in real life.
I was about 14 and it must have scarred me so much I completely blanked it out of my mind for a few years and never talk about it out loud. You'll probably read it and think I am insane actually because it's not like "I saw a Victorian gentleman" or anything like that.
So my grandparents had gone on a cruise for 2 weeks and their house was right opposite the stop where the school bus dropped me off. I would always pop in to see them and have my tea there before going out with friends so I just carried on doing this whilst they were away but eating microwave meals that they had left for me.
One day I was watching TV in their living room after school & I heard a loud bang come from one of the bedrooms (it's making me get all panicky thinking about it). I went upstairs and walked into the room I had heard the noise coming from.
My nan used to have a vase of flowers on the window ledge and I noticed it wasnt there. I dont know why but I just felt like I needed to look under the bed. I bent down and what I saw completely freaked me out . I could hear my heart beating in my chest really loudly but I also felt like it had dropped into my stomach, I'm not sure I have ever felt fear like it although have come close on other occasions. This is the part where you will think I am crazy
The vase was lying on its side by the side of the bed and the flowers from it were arranged in a perfect circle type shape like they had been placed there. All my nans 'ladies' as we used to call them (they were white Victorian ladies dalton ornaments) were standing around as though it was some kind of ritual . I cant even explain it but I know it wasnt "right" I just got this horrible feeling that nothing was "right" . The day before , those ornaments had been in a glass cabinet in the dining room and I know I had seen them and nobody else had a key apart from my parents. This sounds completely barmy I know but there were no windows open and the bed was too far away from the window ledge for the vase to have fallen and rolled under there. How did the ladies get there ? When I eventually mustered up the courage to get downstairs to the phone, I rang my mam absolutely sobbing that something weird had happened , I wasnt making any sense. I left the house and my step-dad came down to clean it all up and we never mentioned it again.
I blocked it out until about 4 years later when I was pregnant with my first child & I was sat with my nan who was telling me a creepy story about that bedroom. It all came flooding back to me ! I'm generally a sceptical person although open minded... I would say agnostic if that term can be used for weirdy stuff ? My parents confirmed it had happened (because when the memory came back I thought I had dreamed it) but they had never mentioned it to my grandparents when they returned and never brought it up with me again because I had been so scared .
I am epileptic & often hallucinate before a seizure so I am fully aware of what the brain can make you think. But this was a solid thing that other people saw ... just weird.

Hi Happiness! Can I ask what your nan's "creepy" story about the bedroom was?

Frideswide it was on a 'woo' thread as thats what they call spooky stuff over there. People were posting their experiences and someone said you will like this site and put a link up.
The spooky experience from my nan was that she had walked into the bedroom and seen the shape of a person slide from the top of the bed down to the bottom and slip of the edge. Like they were under the covers. She put it down to her imagination.

The spooky experience from my nan was that she had walked into the bedroom and seen the shape of a person slide from the top of the bed down to the bottom and slip of the edge. Like they were under the covers. She put it down to her imagination.

Sounds like a shadow person! Except it was acting like an actual shadow, rather than an cut-out outline as they usually do. I know that's not much of an explanation, but at least there's a kind of precedent.

I dont know much about the lingo , but it was like a solid person under the covers but slipped off the end and nothing was there. I dont know what shadow people are but sounds creepy.
My nan was a total unbeliever in absolutely ANYTHING strange even after having experiences like this.

That's right. I may as well tell the story now, this woman who had suffered a sleep paralysis episode one night (pressure on her chest, two big red eyes in the dark), well, the day before that incident she had noticed something in her bed she thought was her cat. But it was a dark shape that slithered from under the covers and disappeared over the side of the bed. There was nothing there when she looked.

Hope you're not too freaked out!

Oh my goodness that's made me go a little goosepimply. The worst story I ever read was on mumsnet about someone being chased in the woods after following a black shape that she thought was her friends dog escaped .
It's not really the same as seeing something but I can remember once as a teenager being home alone and listening to music in my bedroom when nature called (number 1!). The landing light was on but all other lights apart from my room were off (including the bathroom). I trotted off to the toilet and thought I may as well just go with the door open cos nobody else is home. I heard the back gate go and someone unlock the back door so I just sort of leaned forward and shut the bathroom door (sorry for painting this picture if TMI). I'm sat in complete darkness now & I can hear someone walking in the house, up the stairs and stop outside the bathroom door. I'm suddenly aware that I am sat in the dark with my trousers round my ankles and I can hear my music playing but sense something creepy outside the door. That's the only other time I've ever come close to that feeling of fear I described earlier. Eventually I got the courage to open the door and nobody was there , nobody had been in the house either.
My mam had a very similar story after I told her about it, that house was uber creepy . There were loads of experiences there .

Frideswide it was on a 'woo' thread as thats what they call spooky stuff over there. People were posting their experiences and someone said you will like this site and put a link up.

Sorry, the shape of a person under the covers? Like a moving "bump"? Anything else weird happen in that house?

Can you post a link to the sppoky tales thread on mumsnet?

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

Sorry, the shape of a person under the covers? Like a moving "bump"? Anything else weird happen in that house?

Can you post a link to the sppoky tales thread on mumsnet?

Welcome and thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the welcome :)
I get the impression that's what she meant when she described it but it is a second hand story & she isn't around anymore so can't be 100%
I can't remember the exact thread on mumsnet I think it was entitled something like "what's the creepiest thing you have ever experienced" there are woo threads on there periodically. I have been lurking on here for a while after seeing the link.
I can't recall anything else specifically happening in that house but apparently I used to ask who the lady in the funny clothes was in the dining room (I don't remember saying this at all). Lots happened at my parents house which was on the same estate as my nans . Maybe its us Haha

When I told my mam about the toilet thing her face dropped and she told me a scarily similar one. She had been in the bath and heard exactly the same as me; back gate go, the door, walking up the stairs. However someone actually knocked on the bathroom door for her and a deep voice said "can I come in?" & she thought it was my step dad so she said "yeah hang on a sec" got out the bath and opened the door to nobody there. She said she felt really vulnerable and aware that she was naked. I swear to God if I ever heard a voice I would probably die on the spot of a heart attack lol.
The mumsnet story was so creepy it stayed with me for ages. She was pet sitting for a friend & something came and disturbed the chickens so she went out and saw it run into the woods (thought it was the puppy) it was a really long story and included things speaking to her. She had actually said something like "if anyone can come up with a rational explanation then please do" because it had scared her so much and she was a generally non woo person. I'm going to try and find it then copy and paste it in here if anyone is interested ? It's a public site so it should be ok shouldn't it.

It might have been me that recommended this forum on Mumsnet, if it was a year or so ago. I used to be an ardent member of both, but left Mumsnet after some rather strange behaviour on one particular chat subject. They used to have occasional 'creepy story' threads that were fascinating, I remember the one Happiness quoted above!

When I told my mam about the toilet thing her face dropped and she told me a scarily similar one. She had been in the bath and heard exactly the same as me; back gate go, the door, walking up the stairs. However someone actually knocked on the bathroom door for her and a deep voice said "can I come in?" & she thought it was my step dad so she said "yeah hang on a sec" got out the bath and opened the door to nobody there. She said she felt really vulnerable and aware that she was naked. I swear to God if I ever heard a voice I would probably die on the spot of a heart attack lol.
The mumsnet story was so creepy it stayed with me for ages. She was pet sitting for a friend & something came and disturbed the chickens so she went out and saw it run into the woods (thought it was the puppy) it was a really long story and included things speaking to her. She had actually said something like "if anyone can come up with a rational explanation then please do" because it had scared her so much and she was a generally non woo person. I'm going to try and find it then copy and paste it in here if anyone is interested ? It's a public site so it should be ok shouldn't it.
Yeah that sounds interesting.From your story about the flowers and ornaments being arranged it could be a poltergeist? From the stories the entity isn’t particularly malicious but just mischievous.They often haunt people instead of locations but I imagine it could haunt a family instead.

It might have been me that recommended this forum on Mumsnet, if it was a year or so ago. I used to be an ardent member of both, but left Mumsnet after some rather strange behaviour on one particular chat subject. They used to have occasional 'creepy story' threads that were fascinating, I remember the one Happiness quoted above!
It was a spooky story wasn't it . Whenever the occasional paranormal thread pops up on mumsnet that one is always mentioned so it must have stayed in lots of peoples heads. I think it was about a year ago so was probably you that mentioned this forum, I'm glad you did anyway I've had a good time looking through all the posts and scaring myself.

Yeah that sounds interesting.From your story about the flowers and ornaments being arranged it could be a poltergeist? From the stories the entity isn’t particularly malicious but just mischievous.They often haunt people instead of locations but I imagine it could haunt a family instead.
Maybe it has attached to us, although it has eased off us now and nothing has ever happened to me since I became an adult and moved 40 miles away. There were times when stuff would be happening daily and now it's very rare. My step dad used to get locked in the ensuite whilst having a shower, or the door would unlock and open at other times. It was always locking itself from the inside. I was watching high school musical up there with my sister once (I wasn't the exact demographic for it as I was an adult when it came out but secretly loved it haha) & went to open the door to use the toilet and it was locked. It always unlocked itself if you just waited an hour or so , we took it as normal.
Other little things would happen which I might mention in another post below so as not to create a massive post .
There is only one of us kids left living at home now , my brother who is 17. Stuff picked up again a couple of years ago and he mentions how he would be getting ready for school and the piano would play a few notes but he would look at it and the top would be down . They threw the piano out in the end , we only had it because my sister wanted to learn when she was younger so it just sat up a corner for years.

The few oddities that happened were CD player coming on by itself twice , playing something relevant to what was happening . It was one of those with a record player on top, 2 cassette players and then you could fit 5 CDs in rotating. So one day my mam started crying about something that was going on with the family , just broke down sobbing and we were looking at her not knowing what to do. Then the CD player comes on playing "under pressure" . Another time I had gone into town and skipped school, came back home and the CD player was on playing stereophonics handbags and gladrags. As I walked into the room the words were "they told me you missed school today" .
We threw it out and then the TV would start coming on at odd times really loud. Also I had the family computer in my bedroom and when we first got the internet (dial-up) it would randomly say "goodbye" in the middle of the night (that's what it would say when you switched AOL off).
Anyway we had nothing for years until a couple of years ago my brother said it had started up. Last summer I went over for a BBQ and we were all drunk in the garden having a lovely time, family friends were round etc. I had put my kids up in the loft room to sleep and when everyone had gone home I joined them. About 2am I woke up to the LOUDEST bang on the back door I've ever heard. Hammering like a police raid, I expected to hear "open up!" Like you see on these crime dramas. But nothing happened. Then the knock came again and I heard someone go downstairs and start rustling ab

About in the kitchen. I tiptoed onto the landing and quietly said "mam?" In a little timid voice and this deep voice went "hello?" Turns out it was my brother but for a second I nearly pooped myself. Anyway he had heard the noise as well but said immediately before the first knock there was a flash in his bedroom like a camera flash but not a camera. My parents were fast asleep hadn't heard a thing ! I don't know how cos it was so loud. He said nothing amiss was downstairs so we left it at that. Then he messages me to say "you know what's creepy ? *aunties friend* was singing that someones knocking at your door song when she was doing the dishes earlier"

Found the mumsnet one , have copied and pasted below. Have to actually do some work now and get off here!

Warning: it's very long (sorry) and very freaky, and if anyone can come up with a rational explanation I'd be extremely grateful because I'm generally a pretty rational non-woo where's-the-evidence person, but I've never been able to explain this and it still makes my heart beat faster and the hair stand up on my arms when I think about it, years later.

I was pet sitting for my friend several years ago. She had moved into a sort of small holding right on the edge of a village in the SW, with a huge garden that backed onto trees. At the time she had a right menagerie - chickens, ducks, a couple of Shetlands, cats and four black retrievers, three fully grown and one a half grown puppy. Originally DH had been going to come with me as a little holiday but the dates she ended up having to go away for work clashed with a couple of his medical appointments so he stayed at home with our dog and I went to petsit alone.

It was about halfway through my stay, a couple of nights to go. Late evening, already dark when I heard a massive commotion from the chicken shed, banging and thumping. I assumed a fox or something had got in so went out to check. As I was halfway across the garden the noise stopped instantly as if it had been shut off; by the time I got to the shed all was calm and the chickens were all settled, mostly asleep. No sign of any intruder or disturbance at all, nothing to explain the noise or any indication that the chickens had made a noise. Bit freaky but I didn't (and still don't) know much about The Way of Chicken so I locked up again and left them to it.

As I went back in the house a small black shape ran past me out of the back door and I realised the puppy must have got out. It streaked across the garden and off towards the woods. Cue much cursing, then calling her name in vain. More cursing when she didn't come back. I grabbed a torch and put one of the other dogs on the lead, partly for protection, partly because I thought the pup was more likely to come back if I had one of her canine companions with me and partly because I didn't fancy my chances of finding my way back to the house on my own even though there were a couple of vague paths that I'd followed when walking the dogs throughout the week.

Off we trudged into the wood along one of these paths, me calling pup's name at intervals and trying not to imagine murderers and rapists behind every tree trunk. We got to a point where it felt like the trees were starting to thin out and I remember thinking that I didn't remember a clearing on this path and we must have gone wrong somewhere when the dog with me slowed right down and started to resist going forward. I tried to jolly her along - while my stomach suddenly dropped like a stone - and she started growling, a really low serious rumbling growl. By this time I was practically shitting myself. I tried shining the torch ahead but the beam just sort of bounced back off the darkness if that makes sense? I got the sense of something - or somethings - moving but just sinuous deeper black shapes against the blackness and always on the periphery of vision. (The hairs on my arms are standing up again just remembering how completely and utterly terrified I was. I have honestly never known a feeling like it.)

At this point the dog sank right down, still growling, hackles up and refused to budge. I muttered something like "Jesus, you have got to be kidding me" and this ugly gurgling inhuman sort of voice hissed, right up close as if someone was right next to me "don't say that name". At the same time there was a horrible snickering sort of laugh. I cant express how utterly petrified I was. I can't remember having any coherent thoughts apart from the word "evil". That's the only clear thing I can remember. Me and the dog were frozen to the spot with pure fear. Then a different voice, really commanding, said "GO. BACK." That sounded more in my head but echoey, where the others had sounded out in the air IYSWIM?

Wherever it came from it did the trick. Me & the dog turned and belted back through the woods. She basically towed me, I just clung onto her lead stumbling to keep up and sobbing with fear. I lost the torch somewhere on that wild run but there was no way I was stopping to find it. How I didn't run blindly into a tree I'll never know, she guided me I guess. I can remember thinking desperately that I mustn't let go of her lead or "they" would get me.

When we got back to the garden she suddenly stopped - I did fall over her this time, onto my hands and knees - turned around and started snarling, proper teeth bared, rabid-looking snarls, back at the trees and the darkness. I thought I heard the snickering again but the blood was pounding in my ears so hard I can't be sure. I scrambled up and ran to the back door and she followed me but backing and snarling all the way as if holding something at bay. Oh, and the chicken shed was banging and thumping again. I got the back door open, me and her belted in, I slammed home every bolt behind us. The other dogs left behind were staring at the door and growling too with their hackles up and when I saw all three of them, puppy included, acting like that I started to cry properly because I honestly thought I was trapped in some horror film nightmare and was going to die. I don't know - I still don't know - what the black shape was that ran past me out of the house and triggered all of this because the puppy was right there in the kitchen.

Anyway I made sure every door and window was locked and bolted, I turned on every light in the house, I wandered round mumbling all sorts of weird half-religious half-spiritual shit to ward off evil spirits. Gradually the dogs settled down and stopped growling, and eventually stopped glancing at the door. Funnily enough I didn't sleep for one second that night and I rang my DH and begged him to come over the last couple of days. I know I didn't dream it because I was covered in scratches from running through the woods and had grazed hands from where I fell over the dog in the garden.

Nothing like that has happened before or since and I hope it never, ever does. It was the single most horrible, terrifying experience of my entire li

said immediately before the first knock there was a flash in his bedroom like a camera flash but not a camera.

Sometimes when I'm just falling asleep, if there's a loud noise I get a 'flash' inside my head (ie, there's no external flash, it's more of a hypnopompic thing). Could it have been the same for your brother?

Back