• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Weirdest Tale

I don't think that I'd get away with that TBH. That has, to be fair, always irked me. The wife sounds like a possession, like the TV, the mobile phone, the dish washer... ;)

'The wife' is said ironically. Nobody uses it to mean 'the wife as a possession' any more than a husband expects his bride to obey him when she promises to at the altar. ;)

A few years ago there was a newspaper article about what people called their partners, asking for readers to reveal theirs. I texted in Techy's nickname of 'Manbitch', which I do believe was suggested by our good friend @Stormkhan some years ago.

To my delight this was printed in the next edition and I forced all the customers to read and admire it. A group of particularly intelligent gay blokes stated that they wished THEY were my Manbitches. All good fun!

How about "My better half"?

An elderly relation of mine used to say that about whichever bloke I was with, only he'd say your infinitely better half.
It irritated me. I used to think 'You thick bastard, don't you know it's the woman who's called that?'
It's a marriage in-joke, like when @GNC 's Dad calls his Mum 'The Boss'.

How about "My better half"?
Idea! instead of saying "I" let's start saying, "my worse half". :wink2:
That's what "for better or worse" can mean.

Spoken grammar and written grammar... 'perfectly well-educated people using 'I weaved in and out of the traffic'...
H'm... could have been a person sat in an self steering e-car, guiding itself in and out of traffic whilst the occupant is sat in the seat weaving a cane basket for the craft group he/she is on their way to attend that evening. See, makes perfect sense!

Idea! instead of saying "I" let's start saying, "my worse half". :wink2:
That's what "for better or worse" can mean.
That’s disrespectful though. The idea is to honour the partner in a jokey way.

Like when you tell a man he’s punching above his weight. That’s a way of saying his missis is too beautiful for him, a huge compliment.

Back