• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My, What A Big Book You Have (World's Largest Book)

MrRING

Android Futureman
The better to read you with??

Bhutan Tome Named World's Largest Book
By JUSTIN POPE, Associated Press Writer

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A 133-pound tome about the Asian country of Bhutan that uses enough paper to cover a football field and a gallon of ink has been declared the world's largest published book.

Author Michael Hawley, a scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said it's not a book to curl up with at bedtime — "unless you plan to sleep on it."

Each copy of "Bhutan: A Visual Odyssey Across the Kingdom," is 5-by-7 feet, 112 pages and costs about $2,000 to produce. Hawley is charging $10,000 to be donated to a charity he founded, Friendly Planet, which has built schools in Cambodia and Bhutan.

Guinness World Records has certified Hawley's work as the biggest published book, according to Stuart Claxton, a Guinness researcher.

Hawley has led a number of MIT student expeditions to Cambodia and Bhutan, an isolated country of 700,000 people that is about the size of Switzerland, and thought he could raise money for education there by putting together some of the thousands of photographs he was gathering.

He said he did not set out to make the world's largest book. But playing around in his office at MIT's Media Lab with a state-of-the art digital printer, Hawley discovered just how spectacular large, digital images can look — especially of Bhutan, a country flush with colorful scenery and dress where even the rice is red.

"What I really wanted was a 5-by-7-foot chunk of wall that would let me change the picture every day," he said. "And I thought there was an old-fashioned mechanism that might work. It's called the book."

Hawley said he's received about two dozen orders for the book, which includes an easel-like stand. Early customers include Brewster Kahle, the inventor of the Internet Archive project, who has known Hawley for years through his computer science work at MIT.

"You deal with a book in a fundamentally new way," Kahle said when asked about the appeal, adding he wasn't certain how he would display his copy. "You meet it eye-to-eye, like a person."

Processing and printing the images took enormous chunks of computing power, much of it donated by companies including Dell, Apple Computers and Kodak. Then there was the assembly. At this size, the normal physics of bookbinding simply don't apply.

"All my traditional techniques for binding books are impossible," said ACME Bookbinding President Paul Parisi. Zeff Hanower, a shop machinist, had to build an assembly line from scratch. ACME also used an "accordion" style of binding to ensure the book folded and held together properly.

Hawley said his research revealed that the biggest book in the Library of Congress was John J. Audubon's 19th century "Birds of America," which is 2 1/2-by-3 1/2 feet.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=12&u=/ap/20031215/ap_on_re_us/largest_book_1

Last edited by a moderator:
A picture book on Bhutan would be good...So few people get to see it....But I think thats going a little far.

And I dont think my father would be very civil if I asked him to build a shelf for that book. He huffs enough whenever I say the word `shelf`

(She has more books than she can count....This is not the same as too many books, though.)

Homo Aves said:
(She has more books than she can count....This is not the same as too many books, though.)

You can never have to menny books ;)

Being an avid reader from age 4 (I've still got my books from then), I've a massive number of books. I love them. I'd encourage reading.

But one, giant book?
Sounds like yet more scientists bored, time on their hands, waiting for the next grant allocation, looking at each other over a few beers and saying "Hey, let's get into the Guiness Book of Records by making a really big book!"
They probably thought of the charity donation scheme afterwards. Still, if it gives lots of money to deserving causes then fine. But it still sounds like excessive finger-twiddling to me!

'don't you know there aint no writers of a huge book on Bogitan it's just scientist when they're drunk' :D

Is there a chemistry department at MIT? Maybe they've been sniffing too much "happy haze"!

Stormkhan said:
Is there a chemistry department at MIT? Maybe they've been sniffing too much "happy haze"!

perhaps boredom mixed with 'hey let's see what this does!' *snif* ...

Hey lads what about making the world's largest book! *giggle*

Wow! They'd sound like Beavis and Butthead!
"Ha!Ha! Big book! Cool!"
"Yeah! He!He! Picture book! Double cool!"

Stormkhan said:
Wow! They'd sound like Beavis and Butthead!
"Ha!Ha! Big book! Cool!"
"Yeah! He!He! Picture book! Double cool!"

'Oh mad this shit's cool...'

'Let's make a book about Butan!'

'Where the f***'s that?'

'Who cares man!' *giggle*

Hi

source:
---------------------
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1169571.html?menu=news.quirkies

quote:
----------------------

Ananova:
World's biggest book

The world's biggest book has been written about the leader of one of the world's smallest countries.

Croatian author Hrvoje Sosic has claimed a new world record with his biography of former Croatian president Franjo Tudjman.

The mammoth publication has 3,604 pages and weighs 12 kilos - the equivalent of 12 bags of sugar - and will be the biggest ever when it goes on sale this week.

Sosic told daily newspaper Jutarnji List: "It is the biggest ever book about a country's leader. There are no such books on people like Dwight Eisenhower, Winston Churchill or Charles de Gaulle."

Tudjman, also a former Yugoslav army general, led Croatia to independence in 1991.

----------------------

Endquote

Mal F

what about, as a random example, the OED? I bet that's got more than 3604 pages :confused:

Surely the size of a book should be judged by how many letters it contains rather than how many pages it has?

Originally posted by Mal Function
The mammoth publication has 3,604 pages and weighs 12 kilos - the equivalent of 12 bags of sugar - and will be the biggest ever when it goes on sale this week.

that's a big book but i have to ask...

WHY?
Is it something like men with small members getting big cars? You know: samll country, big book.

You know what they say about the size of a man's book...

Re: Re: World's biggest book

The Virgin Queen said:
You know what they say about the size of a man's book...

Yeah, big book, strong bookcase! :rolleyes:

Re: Re: World's biggest book

The Virgin Queen said:
Is it something like men with small members getting big cars?
My car's particularly small, I wonder what that says about me...
;)

My feet are also quite large :p

Re: Re: Re: World's biggest book

Colin said:
My car's particularly small, I wonder what that says about me...
;)

My feet are also quite large :p

It meens you have a small penis shaped car and big feet ;)

Guinness has certified this Texas publication as the world's largest published book.

World's largest published book unveiled in Texas

A Texas nonprofit and a museum teamed up to break the Guinness World Record for largest published book with a tome measuring 7 feet tall and 11 feet wide.

Literacy nonprofit iWRITE and The Bryan Museum in Galveston teamed up to create a massive version of the book I Am Texas, which contains writing and artwork from 1,000 Texas students from third to 12th grades. ...

The book, which has smaller versions available for purchase, measures 7 feet tall, 11 feet wide and weighs in at 496 pounds.

The giant book ... has been certified as the world's largest by Guinness World Records ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/11/18/Guinness-World-Records-largest-published-book/4711668790471/
See Also: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-book-published

I've been plowing my way through 'Parallel Lives' on the Lizzie Borden case, very interesting background on Fall River, Massachusetts and the Borden family, but it's over 1100 pages and 3-1/2" thick and weighs a good few pounds.
I think I'll visit the house before I ever finish the book!

1671227136367.png

Back