• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious 60m Diameter Disc Discovered On Baltic Seabed

suziwong

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The Swedish article that EnolaGaia has posted seems much more detailed. Is there any chance that a Swedish-speaking poster could give us a précis?

By the miracle of Google translate:
Mysterious circles in the Baltic Sea

Dragged forward? Next to the circle is a 300 meter long slide track - as if the circle has traveled across the seabed before it has settled. Dragged forward? Next to the circle is a 300 meter long slide track - as if the circle has traveled across the seabed before it has settled. Photo: Peter Lindberg Peter Lindberg Peter Lindberg Photo: PRIVATE Dennis Dennis Asberg Asberg Photo: Private

An algal bloom? A mine? A UFO?

No one knows.

But it is clear that Swedish treasure hunters found a giant circle on the Baltic seabed.

The bay was a mirror in the morning on June 19. Six of the nine crew members aboard the fishing vessel lake was still asleep in their bunks. Barely awake sat remaining three, staring at the screen that shows what is hidden on the seabed.

The group called Ocean Explorers and call themselves treasure hunters. Their mission is to comb the Baltic Sea wrecks containing alcohol which can then be sold at auction. 1997 found leader Peter Lindberg wreck Jonkoping in the Åland archipelago. On board were champagne that has subsequently been sold for millions of dollars.

But this morning they found something quite different.
"Something solid down there"

At 87 meters, between Sweden and Finland, they saw a large circle, about 60 feet in diameter.

- You see a lot of weird stuff in this profession, but during my 17-18 years as a professional vrakletare I have never seen anything like this. Shape, completely round the circle, makes this unique, said Peter Lindberg.

Next to the circle is a 300 meter long slide track - as if the circle has traveled across the seabed before it has settled.

- Germans have been there, the Russians have been there, dumped a huge, yes, it is not inconceivable, said Dennis Åsberg one involved in the expedition.

What would it have been?

- I have no idea. All I know is that I've seen anything down there that is solid - stone, concrete or steel - and that is completely round.
Too early to determine

They rule out theories that there is a depth bomb or mine from the First World War - or a symmetrical blooms.

- It does me completely. This is not soft, says Peter Lindberg.

Andreas Olsson, marine archaeologist at the National Maritime Museums, will see pictures of the circle and say it is too early to determine what it is:

- The most likely scenario is still that there is a natural ground formation.

Though the bot may have missed some subtleties, so a native translation would be helpful too :).

Especially in light of Peter Lindberg's statement above..

"It does me completely. This is not soft.." indeed.

I bet it will turn out to be something disappoiningly mundane.

Ronson8 said:
I bet it will turn out to be something disappoiningly mundane.

Something like a large round rock, would that be mundane enough. :)

There is a large chunk of it missing - if it was ever there in the first place - and no 'missing' pieces in the slide track.
It has fissures which run all the way through it, and from top to bottom - hence it is solid. Rock solid.

Or a viral internet meme of some kind. Many of the most interesting Fortean stories these days have some viral aspect to them: that is to say, they are deliberately fabricated for one reason or another, often by person or persons who remain unknown.

The drag track does not seem very clear to me.

More obvious is another partial circle, left of and below the main one.

Possibly a double meteor strike when this part of the Baltic was dry land in the last(?) Ice Age? If it was soon covered by rising sea levels, it would not have suffered the erosion it would have on land.

As the Baltic is non-tidal, there'd be little to erode it once it was underwater, and as the post Ice Age sea level rises occured in (IIRC) three, fast, separate phases, it may not have been at the shore line long enough to be eroded. And in a few thousand years it's unlikely to have been obliterated by silt.

But on second thoughts, they're flying saucers! :D

It may be the remains of an ancient caldera, or an ancient asteroid strike.
Or an experimental WWII aircraft...
Or...

It's the Round Table! You hit the nail on the head...

:lol:

Stuff like this turns up like a bad penny.

Largest petrified tree trunk yet discovered?

It's not that deep down, it's not exactly thousands of miles from land, so why hasn't anybody been back to inspect it further?

Exactly. This Peter Lindburg, whoever he is, wants to get his finger out and go down there and take a look.

Moooksta said:
CYLONS !!!! :shock:

I did immediatley think of a Cylon ship also. :)

But I will go with my first thought and Bigfoots, It's a rock formation, probably from a previous lava like moulten rock spew, frozen in glupe mode by the cooler sea, in a time of great geographical activity. It looks like a very normal rock with fissures and breaks like any other, only it is circular in shape. And the so called "slide track" nothing more than, natural silt flow with the object itself, creating the trench behind it.

There are many examples of natural formations of geometrical shapes, although they are always surprising to see, they are not unique. Why would they get excited by this example? They were obviously not excited enough to investigate immediately. What sort of treasure hunters are they? If it is anything like what they are suggesting it could be. Would this not be the find of the century.... mellennia... More likely however, they figured it to be a rock formation, and/or they're a bunch of crusty lazy beardy lard asses, :p and if it's not shiney, leave it...

If so, could be a great opportunity to see the Coriolis effect writ large.

No, I go with rock formation too. It's a displaced slab or similar.

how odd from stu nevilles google translation :
At 87 meters, between Sweden and Finland, they saw a large circle, about 60 feet in diameter.
yet the original is clearly metres :
På 87 meters djup, mitt mellan Sverige och Finland, såg de en stor cirkel, cirka 60 meter i diameter.

We have sonar and video equipment that could get a very good look at this, if only we had the means to get it to the area.

Back