• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Greenish-Yellow Liquid Gushing From Walls On I-696 Now Identified

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The mysterious, greenish-yellow liquid that ran onto I-696 in Madison Heights on Friday came from a closed electroplating business whose owner is serving a year in federal prison for operating an unlicensed hazardous waste storage facility.

a9c75a05-3c47-46b0-a6ba-875c407185e4-xwayspill.jpg

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency was called to investigate and determined the liquid likely was groundwater contaminated with hexavalent chromium.

EGLE said in a statement that the seepage was directly in line with Electro-Plating Services at 945 E. 10 Mile, Madison Heights. Crews spent Friday night vacuuming the sewers and eventually started on the basement at Electro-Plating Services, where green liquid was found in the basement pit.

The closed business's owner, Gary Sayers, pleaded guilty in April of operating an unlicensed hazardous waste storage facility and sentenced to one year in federal prison.

EPA removed hazardous chemicals from the site after it was closed, but did not remediate soil or groundwater contamination.

More than 5,000 containers of hazardous chemicals, were removed from the site.

https://eu.freep.com/story/news/loc...21/green-liquid-i-696-lane-closed/2721790001/

maximus otter

Looking at that pic, my first thought was 'Chromium' and then I read the next line.
Nasty stuff, don't want that in the water table.

Back