• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Lost Sumatran Pygmy Tribe May Have Been Found

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Mysterious Lost Sumatran Pygmy Tribe May Have Been Found

A video purportedly take by trail bikers riding in a forest on the island of Sumatra appears to show a diminutive nearly-naked man running at an extremely fast pace before disappearing into tall grass. The man’s size and the location has many suggesting he was a member of the mysterious Mante tribe which has a status of urban legend in the area because the last known members were seen (and unfortunately captured) in the 17th century. Is the end of the legend? Will it be the end of the Mantes?

The Jakarta Post reports that a group of bikers from Banda Aceh, formerly known as Kutaradja and the capital of Aceh province, were riding on a trail in the local rainforest when one rider – fortunately the one with a running video camera in his helmet – spotted a small humanoid figure with a wooden stick.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/03/mysterious-lost-sumatran-pygmy-tribe-may-have-been-found/

Sumatran pygmy tribe.png

Footage looks odd, something not right about it.
The man suddenly appears and runs in a weird way, seemingly too fast for his size.

The man suddenly appears and runs in a weird way, seemingly too fast for his size.

It strikes me as odd, too ...

The running fellow's gait seems a little too stiff in some places, and a bit too fast in general.

His figure consistently shows a shadow, but the shadowing seems to vary.

He seems to be wearing a kerchief or bandanna on his head, and my impression is that he's wearing tan shorts.

There's something about the length of time he's not visible around the curve of the dirt track in the middle of the pursuit that doesn't seem quite right.

The strangest parts are his explosive exit from the tall grass(?) at the beginning and his sudden dashing leftward into similar greenery at the end (of his visible run). The ending dash looks especially suspect when I step through it.

It also strikes me as odd that he carried that large stick throughout the panicked sprint.

I can't see any trace of footprints, even though the ground where he finally disappeared is muddy (there's even standing water at the place where he exited the dirt track).

If he were experienced in that sort of environment, one may well ask why he ran out into the open or why he didn't remain hidden until the motorcyclists passed by.

Finally, I can't convince myself the stick one of the motorcyclists holds up after searching at the end is the same stick the running figure was carrying.

Footage looks odd, something not right about it
Yes....
Just as if he were a CGI insert. Except there's a special mystical ban on me making such a foul and unwarranted allegation.

The running fellow's gait seems a little too stiff in some places, and a bit too fast in general.
Exactly.

Just as if he were a CGI insert. With reused framestock. Except there's a special mystical ban on me making such a foul and unwarranted allegation.

Because the technology to do this is far too complex, and anyway, seeing is believing.

Because even old cinematic composition techniques, from back in the earliest days of film, allowed production of layered composites (long before Disney, computers or the internet).

Thankfully, we don't live in an era of falsified 'false' news, ersatz 'citizen journalism', the worship of celebrity artificiality and vapid villainous vectors of viral vanity. Weapons of mass distraction. Or do we?

See https://www.facebook.com/FredographyCopyright
Culture, Social, Nature, Green, Issues, Fun, Travel, Adventure, Dirtbike & Photo Videography

This image I find particularly-revealing. (But I should stop saying these things, because the falsification of static and moving images just does not happen....I must try & accept that)
2017-03-29 03.01.39.png

http://www.okezone.com/read/2017/03...-mante-viral-di-medsos-ini-kata-pemilik-video

Last edited:
Dunno...looks alright to me.

But could be anything.

Firstly - a bloke playing a "pygmy tribesman" for the camera.

Dunno...looks alright to me.

Really? Are you quite sure?

As a budget-level Gollum, maybe. See a pro LOTR version

So perhaps your explanation for the static image above is that someone has taken a real-world image-grab from the video image, and then helpfully over-marked a blurred/moving physical person with graphics tool such as MS Paint?

And that the purported pygmy pic doesn't look exactly like an inked-in animation cell from a budget-level computer graphics package?

Whilst the online Indonesian publisher may have post-produced an existing image, I'm very much getting the impression of a freehand generated image, layer-inserted above a dissolve/random moiré background, intended to emulate a focus-rush/depth-pull effect.

And crucially: to have the high levels of (one might say cartoon) contrast between the sunlit and shadowed areas of his body that he inarguably is depicted as possessing- do you not find it odd that he seems to cast no shadow upon his surroundings?

Who did frame Roger Rabbit? Easy. You and I did, @Coastaljames

We all believed he was there, put him in the crime scene, but he wasn't really. The movie WFRR is the best-ever pre-digital animation/life-mix movie in the history of film. It can never be beaten, because the production technologies are now so advanced. Unlike this pygmy....

(remember- always bump the lamp...)

Last edited:
Really? Are you quite sure?

As a budget-level Gollum, maybe. See a pro LOTR version

So perhaps your explanation for the static image above is that someone has taken a real-world image-grab from the video image, and then helpfully over-marked a blurred/moving physical person with graphics tool such as MS Paint?

And that the purported pygmy pic doesn't look exactly like an inked-in animation cell from a budget-level computer graphics package?

Whilst the online Indonesian publisher may have post-produced an existing image, I'm very much getting the impression of a freehand generated image, layer-inserted above a dissolve/random moiré background, intended to emulate a focus-rush/depth-pull effect.

And crucially: to have the high levels of (one might say cartoon) contrast between the sunlit and shadowed areas of his body that he inarguably is depicted as possessing- do you not find it odd that he seems to cast no shadow upon his surroundings?

Who did frame Roger Rabbit? Easy. You and I did, @Coastaljames

We all believed he was there, put him in the crime scene, but he wasn't really. The movie WFRR is the best-ever pre-digital animation/life-mix movie in the history of film. It can never be beaten, because the production technologies are now so advanced. Unlike this pygmy....

(remember- always bump the lamp...)

Right you are.

I just thought it looked like one of their short mates running about in his pants.

Either way...

is it supposed to be ?

I don't know one way or the other. It seemed strange to me the motorcyclist would bother to pick up and brandish a stick at the end unless he (perhaps mistakenly) took it to be the same stick the running figure insisted on carrying while fleeing.

.... Just as if he were a CGI insert. ...

Yes - exactly. The running figure's dash into the grass at the end struck me as artificial / generated on the first viewing. I couldn't convince myself on closer inspection it had to be CGI (whatever), but neither could I convince myself it had to be authentic.

A lot of these Asian clips come from TV shows, obviously filmed.

I don't know one way or the other. It seemed strange to me the motorcyclist would bother to pick up and brandish a stick at the end unless he (perhaps mistakenly) took it to be the same stick the running figure insisted on carrying while fleeing.
i took it to be the guy equipping himself with something to poke around with stroke defend himself with maybe ... whole thing comes across a bit like the skiing chick singing rhianna into her go pro while pursued by a big bear (fake)

I think there is something even more obvious than the false appearance; there is no way that a real forest dweller would be on that exposed track, even without the presence of the noisy bikers.

I think there is something even more obvious than the false appearance; there is no way that a real forest dweller would be on that exposed track, even without the presence of the noisy bikers.

Yeah, kinda what I thought. The area is hardly very remote if it's known to bikers.

A lot of these Asian clips come from TV shows, obviously filmed.

I stand by this.

Yeah.
When I first saw it, I thought the movement looked 'wrong' and then I thought 'CGI'.

There is a supposed pigmy race in West Sumatra called orang-kardill (tiny people). Thy are three feet tall, go naked in the forest, have long hair on their heads but are hairless on the rest of their body and they hunt with poisoned bamboo spears. The father of my late guide Sahar Dimus saw a group of them around 1989 in a remote area of Kerinchi Sablat. A friend of his killed one with a parang after it stole rice from their camp (they were trading rice and walking between remote villages over some hills). Afterwards a group of orang-kardill emerged from the jungle and speared the man to death.
The local people insist that they are some kind of primitive human and not an ape like orang-pendek. There was a report of something like them from the far south of Sumatra around 2013 but it turned out to be a newspaper hoax.

There is a supposed pigmy race in West Sumatra called orang-kardill (tiny people). Thy are three feet tall, go naked in the forest, have long hair on their heads but are hairless on the rest of their body and they hunt with poisoned bamboo spears. The father of my late guide Sahar Dimus saw a group of them around 1989 in a remote area of Kerinchi Sablat. A friend of his killed one with a parang after it stole rice from their camp (they were trading rice and walking between remote villages over some hills). Afterwards a group of orang-kardill emerged from the jungle and speared the man to death.
The local people insist that they are some kind of primitive human and not an ape like orang-pendek. There was a report of something like them from the far south of Sumatra around 2013 but it turned out to be a newspaper hoax.

How much credence do you give this story?

Back