• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Maryland

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Using the supernatural to sell Howard County

Tourism: Historic Savage Mill hopes ghost walks will have a high-spirited effect on business.

By Sandy Alexander
Sun Staff
Originally published October 4, 2004

For years, merchants and staff at Savage Mill have believed the place is haunted. Now Howard County Tourism Inc. is turning that into an asset for the 19th-century mill turned boutique shopping center.

On Friday and Saturday nights through next month, the new Ghost Walks in Historic Savage Mill combines local history with tales of ghostly apparitions, unseen tricksters and unexplained occurrences. They also encourage visitors to shop and dine at the mill.

advertisement

advertisement

It is a combination that has worked well in Ellicott City, where the tourism group's ghost tours have drawn approximately 4,000 people in the past year and where merchants saw ticket holders come in to redeem the discounts on the back of the passes.

"We are looking to do that same formula again at Savage," said Howard County Tourism's Executive Director Rachelina Bonacci.

The Savage Mill Tour takes visitors through several buildings, outside to the Bollman truss railroad bridge - the last of its type in the world - and up the tower where Rebecca King, the mill's best-known ghost, fell to her death while carrying a bundle of cloth down the steep wooden stairs.

Along the way the guides - and sometimes merchants - share stories of hearing mysterious laughter and running footsteps, smelling burning candles, finding objects that have been moved and sensing unseen visitors.

Ghostly children, including one who died sliding down a banister, are said to frolic in the buildings and play tricks on visitors.

Some people say they have spotted ghosts peeking through windows or lurking in stores.

The tour ends at Rams Head Tavern, where participants are invited to try Becky's Brew, in honor of the resident spirit.

They also can ask the manager about his encounters with Rebecca King.

In addition to being entertaining, the tour's stories are intended to highlight real people and events surrounding the mill.

"Ghost tours ... are a way of making learning fun," Bonacci said. "It's history with a paranormal twist."

Savage Mill was built in the 1820s, when four brothers borrowed ,000 from their friend John Savage to start a weaving business on the banks of the Little Patuxent River.

The mill produced textiles until 1948, when the new owner made it into a Christmas display village featuring live reindeer, a circus and Santa Claus. After that venture went bankrupt, the Winer family bought the complex and, starting in 1985, renovated it into a specialty marketplace that draws about 1 million visitors each year.

General partner Jay Winer encouraged the tourism group to start a tour at the mill.

"We're really excited about it," Winer said. "The history is interesting. There are few places like it left."

Plus, accounts of paranormal encounters add a nice shiver to the tour.

"From the day I got here I'd always heard stories," Winer said. He had an assistant quit after she said ghosts bothered her on her first day, he said.

Mark Croatti, an adjunct political science professor at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, started collecting the stories for a tour in July, talking to merchants, historians and other researchers.

He said he was surprised by the number of first-hand accounts that he collected.

"There are 50 stories on the tour," Croatti said. "You definitely ... get a sense of the mill's history."

Croatti was a ghost tour guide in Ellicott City three years ago and became interested in researching history and paranormal activity in the area. He wrote the latest version of the Ellicott City tour and the script for Savage Mill.

"I always tell my students to get involved in the community," he said. "This is my way of doing that."

Other tour guides also are getting wrapped up in the tales.

Vikki Smith, 16, of Severna Park has been a fan of ghost tours since she was 5 years old and likes to try to track down otherworldly entities, particularly by finding spots of light in photographs she had taken.

When she passed the audition process and was hired as one of six new tour guides, she went to the mill to familiarize herself with the layout. An encounter she said she had there with Rebecca King is now part of the tour script.

"I believe there are things that can't be explained," Smith said. But, she said, she knows she will have skeptics on her tours and will have to let visitors decide for themselves.

Tom Allers of Hanover took the Savage Mill tour on its first night Friday. He said the Ellicott City tour was scarier but that the Savage Mill tour "has a lot more history. ... It was very informative."

Angel Allers said her husband has lived 15 minutes from the mill nearly all his life but had never been there. Now, Tom Allers said, "We're definitely coming back."

Ghost Walks in Historic Savage Mill are offered Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. The cost is , and for children and seniors. Reservations are recommended. Information: 800-288-8747 or www. visithowardcounty.com.

----------------------
Copyright © 2004, The Baltimore Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-ho.ghost04oct04,1,889925.story?coll=bal-business-headlines

Mysterious bottles in Maryland lake

Hi

Maryland getting spooky???

source:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 05. 2004 8:41AM
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041005/REPOSITORY/410050327/1013/NEWS03
The Washington Post

quote:
------------------------------

Mysterious bottles in Maryland lake 'Reluctant oracle' sends murky messages

By CAMERON W. BARR

W ASHINGTON - It is a pleasant September afternoon on Clopper Lake, a 90-acre expanse of water in Seneca Creek State Park in suburban Gaithersburg, Md. Blue herons pose on the shoreline. A turtle rests on a log.

Sgt. Susan Hatter, a state park ranger, pilots her patrol boat along the
lake's edges, peering across the water. After nearly an hour, something catches
her eye. She idles the boat near the gray, leafless branches of a dead tree that has fallen into the lake.

"We found another bottle," she says into her radio.

The glass is clear; the outside is wrapped in black thread and has no
label. Inside, dangling from the cork by the thread is what looks like a
postcard cut in the shape of a hand. It is made from two photographs stuck
together; one side depicts a palm, the other side the back of a hand. The back
is affixed with antique stamps and an "air mail" sticker. A broken skeleton key
is tied to the base of the hand.

Since May, park employees have found nine such bottles, each subtly
different. All have rtune-cookie-from-the-dark-side messages printed on the
palms of the postcards. The one Hatter found says: YOUR QUESTION IS A
MISUNDERSTOOD ANSWER.

The author of the works says they are the communications of a "reluctant
oracle"- a term that describes the artist himself. He calls himself Hobby Horse
and will not divulge his name or other details, other than to say he leads "a
normal life." To prove he is the artist, he encloses digital images with his
e-mails that depict the hand that appears in the bottles.

In one of his e-mails, he cites The Blair Witch Project as a "contemporary
recasting of the horror novel." The 1999 movie was partly filmed in Seneca Creek State Park. He also mentions Edgar Allan Poe, who published a story called MS. Found in Bottle, as the inventor of the detective story. "Imagining this art project and developing it felt similar to writing a detective novel - without the last chapter."

The form is a cliché: a message in a bottle. But people who have seen
Hobby Horse's artworks find them creepy and alluring. The idea of a disembodied hand is less than pleasing. Some of the palms contain splotches of red that could be taken for blood. The thread that suspends each postcard has been stitched along the side of the middle finger.

Hatter keeps the bottles in the park office as she investigates their
meaning and origin. They strike her more as art than crime. "From our point of view, there's nothing threatening about them," she says.

Still, the puzzle they present is intriguing. "It's unanswerable; it's
very daunting," Hatter says. "It drives me insane when I put my head to it. But I appreciate it. I would like to find out more, but I'm not sure we ever will."

One feature the postcards share is the stamp "REBUTS." A French postal
term, it means dead letter.

Sometime in late July, a package arrives in the office of the Washington
City Paper. Taped to the box's top is a piece of paper with the sentence: "One
of several postcards (?) found this year floating in bottles near the Clopper
Lake boathouse." It is signed "M. Antipyrine." The package includes an e-mail
address.

Inside the box is one of the bottles, and inside the bottle is a
hand-shaped postcard. The palm reads: SEEK INSTEAD THE QUESTIONS TO YOUR ANSWERS. City Paper runs a photo of the bottle as its "Found Art" feature Aug. 13.

On Aug. 26, an e-mail from a Washington Post reporter to M. Antipyrine - sent to the address provided to City Paper- yields a reply in less than 10 hours. "Sorry," it reads, "I would rather not contribute to a story about" the bottles. But he offers to forward a message to the artist.

M. Antipyrine also provides his real name on the condition that it not be
published, saying he received "heated e-mails" after the bottle appeared in the City Paper. "(S)ome of the people involved in this are a bit peculiar," he
writes.

Two days later, Hobby Horse replies to the query. He has "one concern," he
writes. "I need your assurance that you will not share any information you learn
about my identity."

Hobby Horse ignores a request for a meeting. But during an e-mail exchange last month, he sends a photograph of a hand that matches the one depicted in the postcards, providing some evidence that he is the artist.

In mid-September, Kerry McAleer-Keeler, a printmaking instructor at the Corcoran College of Art and Design, scrutinizes one of the bottles. She uses similar motifs - hands, keys, postage stamps - in the "book art structures" she fashions.

"It's puzzling and I guess that's good, because it makes you want to know more about the piece," she says. She suggests that the hands might symbolize humanity; that the antique stamps - most of them from Romania, some from Cuba and Taiwan - might refer to history; that the bottle and the thread might
signify containment or bondage.

And then there is how the work has been displayed. "I'm wondering if it's
a joke to the artist that everyone is struggling to figure it out," she says. A
"wonderful marketeer"may be behind the bottles, she adds. "It's hard for artists to find ways to show their work. Sometimes you have to get creative."

Even so, the bottle she holds has an eerie quality, McAleer-Keeler
concludes. "It's definitely strange. It's definitely mysterious."

In late September, Hobby Horse's e-mailing provides a detailed explanation of the bottles: "Deciding what would go into each bottle was like designing a scene. What evidence to expose? What to hide? How to show clues with ambiguous meanings? How to display an airtight half-told tale?

"Allowing the pieces to be discovered created more possibilities for imagining the full story and/or participating in it. The finder can view me as provocateur or polluter; artist or criminal. It enabled me to find an audience that was not self-selected and introduce an artifact into a stranger's life that might seem as though it fell from a place not quite here. . . .

"When I started the work I did not try to make sense of it. But after a
month or so I began to recall one of my earliest memories - learning how to
read. I know that I actually learned how to read at school but what I remember is learning how to read at church.

"For a straight year in Sunday School we had to write down a prayer during the week and read it on Sunday to the class during prayer time. I don't remember any of the prayers I wrote or read. But as I became literate that year, I do remember a feeling of unfulfillment. Perhaps I learned something else that year too.

"Anyway, maybe in some way this work is a belated attempt by an agnostic father to respond to the 52 prayers of the boy inside who still wants to believe. (Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands.)"

The postcards all bear a poem on the back of the hand, in the place where an address would appear. Each version is similar to the others and at the same time unique. In this one, abbreviations have been spelled out, missing letters filled in, and three French words translated into English:

Dreaming, he remembers

Awake, he writes the (question) on his palm

Dreaming, he read(s the) answer he holds

Awake, you (discover) his (recreated hand)

Dreaming, you find the quest(ion) he grasps

Awake, you forget.

------ End of article

By CAMERON W. BARR

The Washington Post
------------------------------------

endquote

Mal F

Thats a great story - I love this quote:

Hatter keeps the bottles in the park office as she investigates their
meaning and origin. They strike her more as art than crime. "From our point of view, there's nothing threatening about them," she says.

Still, the puzzle they present is intriguing. "It's unanswerable; it's
very daunting," Hatter says. "It drives me insane when I put my head to it. But I appreciate it. I would like to find out more, but I'm not sure we ever will.

and that should be one of the effects of art.

Well, some people may say it's being too obscure, if they also have problems with 'piles of bricks' ;) Personally, those bottles sound very interesting.

Back