• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Monsters

MrRING

Android Futureman
I just got through watching the movie Mysterious Monsters, which is a 70's paranormal film based around Bigfoot, Nessie, and the Abdominal Snowman, as hosted by Peter Graves, and produced by Schick Sunn Classics.

While uber-cheesy, I still dig it, but I wonder about some of the artifacts that are claimed as real occurances (circa 1975) of the existance of monsters.

Are any of these claims still believed:

1) They claim a British speed-boat captain was killed when his speedboat crashed due to a wake created by an escaping Nessie. Anybody still think this? What kind of anaylisis has been done on the film itself of his crash?

2) They present some audio recordings of Bigfoot sounds that a sound experts "digitizes" and proves that it was made by a man-like creature 9 foot tall. To me, the sounds were pretty bogus, and I can't believe anybody still takes it seriously.

3) The film claims numerous Bigfoot hairs have been found and are unlike the hairs of any known creature. It seems like with DNA evidence they could look into alleged Bigfoot hairs and find out something about them - has anybody done any research with the hair samples?

4) When talking about the hair samples, they also discussed fecal samples found (uggh!). Is anybody still doing research on this?

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
1) They claim a British speed-boat captain was killed when his speedboat crashed due to a wake created by an escaping Nessie. Anybody still think this? What kind of anaylisis has been done on the film itself of his crash?

John Cobb was the guy who was killed attempting to break the world water speed record in his boat Crusader on Loch Ness in sept 1952. The boat hit a patch of disturbed water and broke up. Um.. it seemed to witnesses he had seen the disturbance on the water because he throttled down, but was still travelling at around 205 mph when he hit... I think the official line is that he hit a patch of wash from one of his own support boats - a wake can "live" for a long time in calm water.

To the best of my knowledge, the alternative explanation was put forward by Tim Dinsdale, who obtained the film and looked at it frame-by-frame, and noticed the presence of ripples similar to that in the "Lowrie" photograph taken on the Ness in 1960 which shows a long v-wake, apparantly caused by something swimming just below the surface. There's stills of the Crusader crash in his book The Leviathans which certainly shows a v-wake, but all v-wakes, whether it be from Nessie or paddle boat, look kind of the same :rolleyes: I suppose if you believe sincerely that large animals do live in the Loch, as Mr Dinsdale did, then it's not unreasonable to think that this kind of thing could happen, but Nessie or no, we'll never know exactly what did cause the crash. But my money's on the tories. They're an evil bunch of bastards.

:D But, um I don't think this view point is particularly widely held even amongst other believers, although I'm sure it's been parrotted with extras in some second rate books. (Tim Dinsdale's books are first rate, natch) And I don't think anyone else has ever analysed the film with this in mind, or whether you could tell the source of the disturbance from the film- what ever caused it, it had probably gone long before filming even started. Wakes live and all that. Blah blah.

Hmmmm...

I'm not completely sure, but I think that they have recently discovered the wreckage of Mr. Cobb's boat at the bottom of the loch.

As for the Sasquatch "voice" recordings, there are a fair few on the net - they have been analysed (sources are quoted) and linguists have identified that they are structured - and they are beyond the range of the human vocal chords.

This one, (Klamath) has been analysed by Texas University, results etc included.

Bigfoot Sounds goes a bit deeper, including an alleged exchange between a human and a bigfoot - again, analysis is included. Both need RealPlayer.

There was a Channel Four documentary in the "To the Ends of The Earth" strand a few years back which included recordings made in Oregon in the mid-nineties made by two hunters in a log cabin - can honestly say they make the hairs on your neck stand up, and once again showed academic analysis of the recordings: they weren't digitised or otherwise tampered with, and showed a huge range. Other physical evidence was shown from the area, such as twisted branches (as in gripped between hands and wrung like a towel) - far beyond ordinary human strength. I'll see if there's a link for it somewhere.

Enough to be going on with?

I remember the documentary, and your right it really did make the hair on the back of your neck raise, one of the few times this has ever happened to me.There was something about the sounds, that you just knew that they were real.I would put money on it that it was genuine.:eek:

Back