• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Rock Growing 'Hair' In Beijing

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
By Feng Yiran
The Epoch Times Mar 26, 2007

A rounded rock with grey, human-looking hair growing out of it. (The Epoch Times)

CHINA—On March 16, 2007, an unusual rock went on display in Beijing. This rock has "hair," almost identical to human hair, growing out of its "head."

The rock is iron gray in color, naturally smooth and rounded, and is similar to a cobblestone. There is also a very thin layer of scalp tissue connecting the "hair" to the rock. The hair is grey in color and similar to the color of the rock itself. The hair grows quite naturally from the top with the longest strands being about 15 centimeters (6 inches) long. The hair is slightly coarser than human hair.

The rock was found on a beach, and according to Fashion Rock Café's executive Miss Yong, this kind of rock is named a "hair-growing rock". As long as conditions are right, the hair on this rare rock will continue to grow. Only two other hair-growing rocks have been reported in the world; and both are in a Taiwan Museum.

This "hair-growing rock" is in a glass display case at the Fashion Rock Café, located in the Digital Building in Beijing's Zhongguan Village. The rock measures approximately 30 centimeters (11.8 inches) long, 20 centimeters (7.8 inches) wide, and about 15 centimeters (6 inches) high.

The value of the rock is estimated to be around 10 million Yuan (approximately USD 1.3 million).

Article link Link is dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like toupee era Paul Daniels. Is this the ultimate pet rock?

A DNA analysis would be interesting.

Indeed, then we'd find out it was Dougal from the Magic Roundabout! ;)

Found on a beach? Probably seaweed, then. Maybe Microcladia or another fine red or green alga bleached by the sun.

eburacum said:
Found on a beach? Probably seaweed, then. Maybe Microcladia or another fine red or green alga bleached by the sun.

Excellent! All I have to do is cultivate one of these, and suddenly I'm very rich indeed...

Back