• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Small Bipedal Creature Found in Azerbaijan?

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Could be a hoax... A monkey?
----------------

Mysterious Small Bipedal Creature Found in Azerbaijan
Paul SeaburnJuly 28, 2017

“In the Caucasus caught a creature similar to a brownie … Unusual video excited the network. It depicts a strange creature, densely overgrown hair, something that does not resemble any other creature.”

That’s the rough Google translation of the description in a video uploaded by someone in Azerbaijan of a small hairy bipedal creature. The folks at the Cryptomundo website got word of the video from well-known Russian cryptozoologist Igor Burtsev, a hominologist and head of the Yeti institute at Kemerovo State University. While Burtsev did not see the creature in person, he determined that the video was taken in late 2016 but did not give any clue as to what the person in it was saying not any speculation on what the creature might be.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/07/mysterious-small-bipedal-creature-found-in-azerbaijan/

A small monkey with extra-long fur stuck on it.
They've also forced it to wear something on its feet to make it walk with a limp.

Could be a hoax
First impressions...

During the closeup, the face/head looks like a very-good animatronic casting. The eye movements are impressive, but not totally convincing. No respiration signs (nostral flare) or other mouth movement.

The hand looks totally-floppy hypotonic/askeletal, and I feel I can possibly see molding lines between the fingers. As in a latex casting. The nails look painted, and I get the impression of stitching at the wrist.

So: I am reminded of human dolls, with cast realistic hands/feet/head, and a cloth torso/limbs. Except this is a rug in the middle (I need to watch it again...I may see something vaguely mech low-down).

The running-about scenes are a different animal. Note the hands are dark and hairy. Why would you film an amazing discovery with no lights, and at a bad angle? Well, because it's a monkey wearing aquamarine socks....

NB I may be entirely wrong. And would prefer to be. But....

The hand looks totally-floppy hypotonic/askeletal, and I feel I can possibly see molding lines between the fingers. As in a latex casting. The nails look painted, and I get the impression of stitching at the wrist.
The nails seem to disappear around the 2.30 mark.

More accurately at 02:21.

Is it just that the fingertips disappear into the hair? Otherwise, vanishing would suggest the nails were a visual effect they forgot to continue. Seems an odd and wasteful thing to apply using visual effects.

I wondered about visual effects regarding the eyes - my impression is that they are real footage of monkey eyes inserted into this. But I am no expert and my impression is from just one viewing, so certainly open to change.

Genuine question: which would be a bigger technical achievement, building animatronic eyes this good or compositing real eyes over the picture?

The walking around part reminds me of seeing monkeys pulled around on leashes at a Russian circus years ago. I hope the poor animal under there was treated well apart from this charade.

The first time I watched the video I was admittedly primed to see 'monkey'. However, something didn't seem right with 'monkey' in the first part of the video. I came away thinking "max 60% certainty on monkey; min 40% something else."

Now that I've gone back and reviewed it again 'something else' has overtaken 'monkey' as my gut-level interpretation for at least part of the video.

Some general points:

- Can (e.g.) Krepostnoi fill us in on what's being said?

- The video is a stitched-together pastiche of at least 3 different parts / segments. The first is the recumbent furball with the dark nails. The second is the same or similar furball without the dark nails. The third is a different furball (completely dark or obscured hands) trundling around the apartment.

Having said that ...

My predominant take on the first segment has shifted from monkey to child with heavy cosplay add-ons. This interpretation was the 'something else' that was troubling me after my first viewing.

The eyes don't correlate with any monkey / ape I've ever seen, nor any monkey / ape eyes for which I can find illustrations, and the skin around them is 'way too smooth.

The immobile lips and visible nostrils are a half-mask well-blended into the upper face. You'll notice the low camera angle prevents closely searching for the seam / boundary. Yes - there are such things as latex cosplay half-masks. There are even such things as cosplay pacifiers, some of which are large enough to be half-masks.

I strongly suspect there's a pacifier behind those static lips - either integral to the half-mask or separate but hidden.

The fur looks synthetic to me (owing to its uniform sheen and rigid straightness), and in any case it strikes me as too long.

The first segment 'hands' appear to be gloves. If you look at the wrist area you'll see consistent wrinkling / bunching from their being on smaller forearms than they were designed for. Also, they seem to extend under the fur as if entering sleeves rather than abutting a suddenly hairier area.

The apartment floor is notably covered in area rugs. Not the sort of thing you'd do with an un-diapered ape-let in the house, but something you might well do with an infant or early toddler in residence. (I've seen new parents do the rugs-everywhere thing before.)

The second segment is, I suspect, earlier imagery attached out of sequence (i.e., before the final exterior coloring and dark nails were applied to the 'hands').

I'm less certain about the third segment and its relationship with the other two. The relatively spry movements seem more 'monkey' to me, but there's nothing about them I've not seen with human toddlers (including the rapid squat-down-upon-stopping). The most 'monkey' aspects of the subject's gait are the splayed feet and hunkered posture, both of which are still reasonably consistent with a toddler encumbered with a wad of fur.

The face is completely hidden except for a few frames starting around 3:20 where you can catch an oblique peek at something (nose? corner of the face?).

The arms are hard to make out, and appear to be rigid (as if empty, stiffened sleeves) with no movement at all. The previously-seen 'hands' are completely missing, and the subject seems to rise upright from a seated position by leaning against the wall rather than using its hands.

- Can (e.g.) Krepostnoi fill us in on what's being said?

I'm afraid I cannot - although the video title is Russian ("A strange creature has been captured in the Caucasus. It resembles a house-sprite*"), the language being spoken is not one I recognise. Apparently Azerbaijani and Turkish are very similar. Are there any Turkish speakers in the house?

I will add that the voice in the first segment has a peculiarly artificial undertone, at any rate to my ears. This may of course just be an artefact of either my playback equipment or the recording device. Also, it seems to me to have a repetitive, lullaby-esque quality to me, presumably the equivalent of what you'd say to your dog while fussing him/her, or your child, who you are desperate to keep calm. But you probably don't need me to point that out.

The rest of your analysis seems to me to be typically astute. That said, I have a clarification request and a minor observation to make that I hope are not entirely trivial.

The eyes don't correlate with any monkey / ape I've ever seen
Can I check I've understood this correctly - you're suggesting the eyes are human as opposed to those of any other primate, of any age?

The apartment floor is notably covered in area rugs. Not the sort of thing you'd do with an un-diapered ape-let in the house, but something you might well do with an infant or early toddler in residence. (I've seen new parents do the rugs-everywhere thing before.)
That doesn't strike me as necessarily unusual, especially in that part of the world (although my experience of there is almost wholly restricted to ethnic Russians in the Northern Caucasus) - if the cultural norm is sitting on the floor rather than on seats or chairs, I would expect to see many rugs and cushions as a matter of course, just as we in fact do in this footage.

* The house-sprite (домовой, domovoi) is a standard fixture in the Russian folkloric imagination, often depicted as - you'll never guess - a small hairy creature. Without looking them up, I think they are pretty standard household entities: keep them sweet with the odd saucer of milk etc. and enjoy serene domesticity/domestic serenity. Or don't.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I cannot - although the video title is Russian ("A strange creature has been captured in the Caucasus. It resembles a house-sprite*"), the language being spoken is not one I recognise. Apparently Azerbaijani and Turkish are very similar. Are there any Turkish speakers in the house?

I was afraid of that ... It didn't sound like Russian to me, but I was still vainly hoping it might be some sort of dialect variation that was throwing me off. Thanks for checking it out.

I will add that the voice in the first segment has a peculiarly artificial undertone, at any rate to my ears. This may of course just be an artefact of either my playback equipment or the recording device. Also, it seems to me to have a repetitive, lullaby-esque quality to me, presumably the equivalent of what you'd say to your dog while fussing him/her, or your child, who you are desperate to keep calm. But you probably don't need me to point that out.

Yep - that's one of the factors that pushed me from my original 'monkey' presumption toward seriously considering it might be a child. At first I paid little attention to the vocal tone, thinking it was meant to be soothing to an animal. As I found myself slipping toward the radical 'maybe it's a child' impression, it seemed to support rather than counteract that shift.

The rest of your analysis seems to me to be typically astute.

Thanks! :bdown:

I had to wrestle with myself on this one. It didn't take long to conclude there was fakery here, but for some reason I was resisting the notion it was fakery wrapped around a child rather than an animal. The more I looked at the footage the more I came to realize this wasn't any stranger or 'worse' than benign pranks or gags I've known parents to pull with their very young kids.

That said, I have a clarification request and a minor observation to make that I hope are not entirely trivial.

Can I check I've understood this correctly - you're suggesting the eyes are human as opposed to those of any other primate, of any age?

Yes. The eyes were the main thing that bothered me when first reviewing the video. Something didn't sit right with the 'monkey' presumption. The more I studied the eyes, the more I began to suspect they were human. I've tried to locate photo evidence to assure myself those eyes could indeed be demonstrated to be consistent with another primate, but the result was to drive myself toward concluding otherwise.

That doesn't strike me as necessarily unusual, especially in that part of the world (although my experience of there is almost wholly restricted to ethnic Russians in the Northern Caucasus) - if the cultural norm is sitting on the floor rather than on seats or chairs, I would expect to see many rugs and cushions as a matter of course, just as we in fact do in this footage.

Understood and agreed. On this point, the thing that nudged me toward the child hypothesis had more to do with the 'negative' issue of whether the rugs would be there with an animal in the residence than the 'positive' point of assuming the rugs may have represented a parental precaution.

Another such 'negative' issue that affected my thinking was why the little creature would be considered worthy of being tethered / 'leashed' (cf. 3rd segment), but using nothing more substantial than a length of string or yarn.

The house-sprite (домовой, domovoi) is a standard fixture in the Russian folkloric imagination, often depicted as - you'll never guess - a small hairy creature. Without looking them up, I think they are pretty standard household entities: keep them sweet with the odd saucer of milk etc. and enjoy serene domesticity/domestic serenity. Or don't.

'Domovoi' I recognized, by comparison with the Swedish 'tomte', from personal experience many years ago. I thought it odd that a video purporting to illustrate a cryptid would be titled in relation to a relatively benign folklore figure.

This video makes a lot more sense to me if I presume the 3 segments are presented in reverse order as follows:

- One or more adults (perhaps playing around with cosplay or makeup activities of their own), crudely wrapped the child (or maybe a primate) in fake fur and led it around the apartment(?) as a joke. (3rd segment; quite active little creature)

- This amused them sufficiently to start elaborating the gag / costume, moving on to faking hands at an early stage (2nd segment; no dark nails). By this point the child is sufficiently bored to be passive.

- The makeup project continued until it was sufficiently compelling to support a protracted close-up of the finished (?) product (1st segment; dark nails added). By this point the child is so bored he / she is starting to nod off.

Of course, all this could have occurred over several hours or even multiple days.

The more I studied the eyes, the more I began to suspect they were human.
.....I favour the opposite case (but I will check again).

Yep - that's one of the factors that pushed me from my original 'monkey' presumption toward seriously considering it might be a child
The occular tracking, for me, is more simian than human, and potentially more anamatronoid than ape. I am also reminded strongly of either drug-induced sleep (or mechanical) eyeball movement that accidentally-emulates this liminal state.

There seems also to be a total lack of interpupilary astigmatism, which is a strong contraindicant against it being a suited human child.

... There seems also to be a total lack of interpupilary astigmatism, which is a strong contraindicant against it being a suited human child.

What do you mean by "interpupilary astigmatism"? :dunno:

This is a new one on me ...

Is this some UK-specific phrase I can't fathom nor find, or is it really the virtual oxymoron I originally took it to be?

Are you referring to issues relating to eye motions like nystagmus, saccades, or astagmus?

... Or perhaps alignment issues like strabismus?

The "face" immediately reminded me of those characters you can make by lying with your head tipped back and a couple of eyes stuck to your chin. Do you know what I mean? Then the eyes could be joined in digitally. That could be why the lips look real but nothing else does.

(Ermintrude thinks the lips look static but I think they move)

it looks a bit like some sort of snub-nosed monkey to me
a bit like this
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150718-rare-photos-of-oddball-monkey

but evidently got up to look like a Brownie, yes. Here's my picture of one and it reminded me of it instantly
yallery1.jpg

Or perhaps alignment issues

I may well be using the wrong opthalmic term: what I mean is that I can see no evidence at all of any favoured-eye dominance...perhaps sometimes called a 'cast'?

There is not even the slightest axial deviation, one pupil from the other, which although not-unheard of in humans, is very-much the standard expectation in other primates....and, depicted on classic dolls. (Interestingly, modern-day children's toy fashion dolls now display supra-realistic single-eye dominance).

The "face" immediately reminded me of those characters you can make by lying with your head tipped back and a couple of eyes stuck to your chin. Do you know what I mean? Then the eyes could be joined in digitally. That could be why the lips look real but nothing else does.

(Ermintrude thinks the lips look static but I think they move)

I think this is an example of what you mean:

ive got to say, as fakes go i like this one, mind you it is mysterious, small and apparently bipedal so on those grounds it may not be a fake at all

i like the eye movements and although at first i thought the little hand was perhaps a behind-the-scenes scammer, theres a moment where it flinches and the movement is very naturally timed between eyes and hand

the fingernails dont dematerialise, the fingers simply curl into the (fake) hair

walks and talks like a monkey in the second half though ... obviously isnt a child at that size with so much mobility !

its like a welcome return to fake practical effects after too much fake fake cgi

Back