• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious symbol?

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
I have recently met a strange character. I took a large group of men on a ghost walk in Stokholm and over coffee afterwards, we all chatted about ghosts, legends etc. One man was very interested in my knowledge of secret societies (which isn't very much) and then he asked about the masons.

He passed me his business card and I noticed that it was marked with a very strange symbol. I know the man is also a memeber of the Magic Circle but I can't find reference to this symbol anywhere. It feels like I've seen it before.

symbol.jpg

Is it magical? Is it pagan? Is it masonic? I am intrigued and need to know. And if any brothers of a Stockholm masonic order are reading this, and I have missed a blatant attempt to probe my intrest in masonic matters then please excuse my lack of intelligence - I am from Newcastle after all.

If you complete the circle, and take the horizontal arm of the cross and position it vertically under the vertical arm, you have something very like the CND symbol.... FWIW!

Otherwise it could be some Christian sect (cross on Golgotha), but not sure about the circular arcs...

Did he affect a sudden deep voice, and proffer rather than offer you the card, with a swirl of an imaginary cape?

If so, he's an occult nut who thinks you're impressionable. :lol:

Maybe it´s a crosshair and he´s a member of some rifle club.

Don't want to worry you, but have you seen Night of the Demon...

It looks more like the sort of think that you used to get on the little prayer cards that said "Pray for the soul of..." or "Mary Mother of Whatever Pray for us", that you used to get in Catholic Churches...

I'd guess it's someone deliberately being mysterious...

it looks a bit like an anchor cross or st clement's cross:

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/anchor.html

Clement was considered a renegade and ever since, the Anchor Cross has been used by Christians who do not wish to conform to the state religion. When Christians have been persecuted and forced underground, their emblem has often been the Anchor Cross. To the outside world, it was just an anchor. To the Christians, it was a camouflaged Latin Cross. Like a ship's anchor, it helped them to keep their faith firm in the stormy social and religious environment. They took comfort from the Epistle to the Hebrews chapter 6 verse 19, which says: "We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters the inner shrine behind the curtain."

He was a bumbling old grandpa type, the sort who would go out without his trousers on if somebody didn't check him first.

I'm really intrigued now and it must have some sort of mystical/magical conotation. He definitely wasn't the show-off occultist type, if anything he was quite shy and retiring.

Was he a secret member of the "Eddie the Eagle" Edwards fanclub?

-

I'm swayed by the 'rifle club' idea. If when he introduces you to his friends you hear the words 'new', 'moving' and 'target', make your excuses and leave. :lol:

Wasn't that the symbol on the side of the spacecraft Lonnie Zamora saw in 1964? Was this gent less than five feet tall and dressed in white coveralls?

That one looks like it is filled with jelly beans.

Xanatico said:
That one looks like it is filled with jelly beans.

My great aunt and uncle were strict, church-going Methodists; from my experience of them, I can assure you that those are not jelly beans because that would be silly.

I couldn't find it in my usually good dictionary of symbols. (I may have looked in the wrong category, so I'll check again later.)

To me it looks like a cross on a hill in parentheses.

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep em coming. It's starting to annoy me more than anything.

Could it not just be a logo used by the guy on his (business) card, designed specifcally, or maybe even by chance(??), to give the impression of occult significance...??

There are too many possibilties as to what this could be.

Looking at it again, an obvious deconstruction might be.....

A cross on a hill, with the sun behind it.
It could be a moon behind the cross, but that would typically be represented by a cescent.

If this is the interpetation, then I think it's an extremely well designed symbol. I like the way it's been stylised.

Now would those bible-reading doods please remind me if there were any lunar/solar phenomena on golgotha dring the crucifiction?

Let's see what other possible interpetations there could be:

1. Random symbol designed to feel 'occultish'
2. Random symbol designed to induce conversation, debate, and confusion.
3. Family coat of arms. I've seeen a coat of arms with 3 crosses on a hill.
4. Religeous symbol.
5. Alchemical symbol.
6. Other occult symbol.
7. A sigil, i.e. part of a magicial working. Any similarity to existing symbols is pure synchronicity.
8. Doodle/Automatic writing.

The sun went dark for 3 hours during the crucifixion, according to gospels of Mark and Matthew

I seriously doubt I've solved the mystery, but here's my best shot at it ...

The first thing that occurred to me was a stylized alchemical symbol. After some considerable online searching, I find only one such symbol which is 'topologically identical' to yours. By 'topologically identical' I mean a symbol which can be modified to match yours with no more than stylistic modification of the lines.

This is a symbol that looks like a small cross arising out of the central peak of an ornate serif capital 'W'. If the straight lines in the 'W' element were stylized into curves / arcs, and the outer 'arms' extended upward to bracket the cross, this would result in the symbol you posted.

One version of this symbol is illustrated (albeit crudely) in this figure:

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/images/valent02.gif

... And it appears this symbol is attributed to:

'lapis calaminaris' - calamine / zinc oxide

I found another 'cross atop W' symbol image (sorry - can't seem to locate this second one again ...) attributed to 'borax'.

I tried ... ;)

Excellent Detective work there, Enolagaia.

Your answer is just as good (or probable) as anything else. I find the whole thing more interesting as the symbol is placed in a corner of the card as if symbolising something whilst not being the reason for having the card.

Your idea of it being an alchemetical (is that even a word??) symbol seems fairly straight forward but that leads to the question , why would he have the symbol for zinc oxide on a card?

I know I'm going to end up calling this guy and demanding to know the meaning of such a strange thing. To which he'll reply, Oh it's the logo of my local Lutheran church!

Or the logo of the guy who makes his business cards. :)

I've just realised why the logo looks so familiar. Does this ring a bell with anyone "Magic (k)" ?

Maybe my brain just sort of filled inthe gapd and told me I had seen the logo on the card before.

Back