• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysteriously Buried Cars & Other Vehicles

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
We have one or more threads focused on sunken cars and other vehicles. This thread is being established to address vehicles found buried with no apparent explanation.
Car found buried in sand at Beachside

Tina Castanares was walking at low tide south of Beachside State Recreation Site on Oct. 27 when she discovered a buried car.

“We saw four half tires sticking up out of the sand,” said Castenares. “We thought it was worrisome.” ...

Castanares called Oregon State Police (OSP) that evening, but by then the tide was coming in and the car was covered.

“The next day I could see it again at low tide in the afternoon,” said Castenares. She sent a photo of the car to OSP.

“My husband said maybe it’s been buried for a long time, who knows, but the state police said, ‘Oh, well, that’s different. We haven’t had any reports [of a missing vehicle].’”

“Basically, we got a request on Tuesday morning from OSP regarding the vehicle on the beach,” said Dylan Anderson, manager of the South Beach Management unit of Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. “They were interested in checking the contents of the vehicle.”

OPRD contracted with Road and Driveway Company out of Newport, said Anderson. A small excavator was used to remove the vehicle he said was “upwards of 20 years old.”

It didn’t come out in one piece, Anderson explained. “They took it out piece by piece, removing the vehicle from the beach.”

OSP Trooper Scott Severson responded to the scene at low tide on Tuesday, performing due diligence, looking for human remains. He spoke with Yachats Rural Fire Protection District Chief Frankie Petrick, who told him that many years ago people used to drive on the beach there.

The car is gone. The investigation is closed, but the mystery of the vehicle remains.
SOURCE: Newport (Oregon) News-Times
https://newportnewstimes.com/article/car-found-buried-in-sand-at-beachside

The only mystery associated with this story concerns WTF the owner was thinking. He'd decided to bury his Land Rover that wasn't worth fixing. Then he decided to sit inside the vehicle while it was being buried, just to see what it was like. Things didn't go quite as planned ...
Video | I Buried My Broken Range Rover (With Me Inside)

So what would you do with a perfectly good hole and a perfectly broken car? I imagine most would put in a pool, or fill in the dangerous hole -- and spend money fixing the car, or sell it off to be someone else's problem. I did neither of these things, since I thought a repeat performance was a good idea. Instead, I buried my broken 2004 Land Rover Range Rover in my giant hole, but this time, I also buried myself along with it. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/video-i-buried-my-broken-ranger-rover-me-inside-281474979892027

This story from 1978 involves an insurance scam, a double-cross among co-conspirators, and a pair of boys who discovered a Ferrari buried in a yard.

This is also one of the rare buried car stories in which the car is immediately salvageable.

Two Kids Find A Ferrari Buried In Their Backyard But That’s Only Half The Story

We all grow up digging around in sand boxes hoping to strike it rich and find some hidden ancient treasures. What we typically find is a rusty, old Matchbox car or a present left behind by a cat. Either way it’s very rare to find something desirable. Well, that’s not quite the case with a young group of boys in California. They were digging in their yard when they found something that would make anyone’s jaw drop and their mouth start drooling. In 1978, these kids were digging around in their yard when they came across something big, something metal, and something very, very valuable. A buried Ferrari! ...
FULL STORY: https://www.buzznick.com/buried-ferrari/

This 2017 story from Oklahoma seems to have resulted from another insurance scam ...
Oklahoma family shocked after discovering vehicle buried, wrapped in plastic in backyard

An SUV found buried in a family's backyard is now two tons of evidence in a crime nearly 15-years-old.

The 2003 Chevy Trailblazer was discovered in the middle of a trail on a property in the 19000 block of Bethel Road.

"We jumped off this car for several years with our ATV and motocross bikes, without ever knowing it," said property owner, Fredie Green.

His son, Cody, was trying to adjust the jump when his tractor unearthed something familiar.

"Went down a little deep and the tractor just stopped," Cody said. "I went, 'man, what is this?' Well I end up digging some more and got to the hood of it, and 'this is a car!'"

He called his father to let him know.

"Alerted me, 'dad, we got a car buried six-foot underground,' and I told my son, 'stop right there and leave it alone,'" Fredie said.

He called authorities, fearing the worst.

"Just make sure that there were no dead bodies in the car," he said.

Deputies dug it up, dragged it out, and tore the doors off, dispelling suspicion of any possible bodies inside.

However, they were able to use the license plate left on the vehicle to discover it was reported stolen by the previous owner.

"He had reported it stolen in 2003," said Lt. Robert Stewart. "He at one time owned that property that vehicle was located on."

No one has been charged yet, but deputies suspect it could be insurance fraud.

"It's amazing that someone could even go that far to bury a brand new car," Fredie said. "It's amazing."
FULL STORY: https://kfor.com/news/oklahoma-fami...ehicle-buried-wrapped-in-plastic-in-backyard/

Owing to the COVID-19 lockdown, this British man decided to do some garden work while sequestered at home. He didn't expect to find a buried car ...
Man working in garden finds car buried in his yard

A British man who decided to build a deck in his garden during coronavirus lockdown made an unexpected discovery -- an entire car buried in his yard.

John Brayshaw, 40, who bought his Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, England, home six months ago, said he was digging post panels for a garden deck when he discovered the vehicle buried on its side.

Brayshaw said the car, believed to be a 1955 or 1956 Ford Popular 103e, still has its engine, doors and license plate. He said all it appeared to be missing was its wheels.

The man said he believes the buried car predates the previous residents of the home, who lived there for about 50 years.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...n-finds-car-buried-in-his-yard/5251586543527/

Well that certainly beats finding an entire corpse buried in his back yard!

(That's a nice page to glance over, BTW. Nearly every article featured on the sidebar was a rescued animal story.)

(I feel I'm straying significantly from the thread here but I'll just pop this little gem in here)

However it came to be there, it wasn't quite on the same scale as Lord Brocket.
"He dismantled his three vintage Ferraris and a Maserati, buried the parts in the grounds of the Hall and put in an insurance claim for £4.5million. "

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/484441/Lord-who-lives-in-the-fast-lane

A good number of years ago a group of friends went camping at Gibraltar Farm in Silverdale, North Lancashire. Unknown to us, an illegal rave was setting up on the beach near where we were camping. The DJ drove his Land Rover, with DJ equipment onto the sand and promptly lost his vehicle. It is still buried in the sands there somewhere.

Obviously some found on the beach is because some idiot drove onto it and couldn't get it off again before the tide came in, there was a rumour at Skeggy that there is a mini buried on that beach

Here's a story involving a buried car in which the mystery / weirdness has more to do with the vehicle than the burial.

A "Gyrocar" is a 2-wheeled enclosed car that maintains its balance using one or more gyroscopes. It's not the same thing as an enclosed motorcycle or motorized trike. The notion of a 2-wheels gyrocar has been an elusive futuristic / mad science concept for over a century. Multiple gyrocars and gyrocar-style monorail vehicles have been proposed and promoted, but only a handful were ever actually built and demonstrated.

This story concerns the first functional gyrocar - the conceptual brainchild of a Russian count and gyroscope enthusiast who believed gyrocars would make good all-terrain vehicles for the Russian Army, transformed into a demonstration prototype by the UK firm Wolseley from 1912 through 1914.

gyrocar_01.jpg

shilov0.jpg

The Great War interrupted the R&D effort, and Wolseley buried the world's first (somewhat) functional gyrocar. More than 2 decades later they disinterred it, then scrapped it another decade after that.

Here's the full weird saga ...

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...-gyro-car-because-it-ran-out-of-storage-space

Obviously some found on the beach is because some idiot drove onto it and couldn't get it off again before the tide came in, there was a rumour at Skeggy that there is a mini buried on that beach
I was once almost that idiot! I beached my car (and yes, it was a Mini) quite badly at Skegness and had to spend the night in it. Luckily it was well above the high tide mark.

A little different story of a buried car. I was driving at night home between the main highway and home on a 2-lane country road. As I drove I noticed on my right an old American car that had been neatly buried perpendicular quite near the road front end first. This is farm country and it's not likely to find a art installation here and as I drove past I wondered what had possessed the farmer to do this. I rounded the next curve and every police car and fire engine in the county were coming at me. ("Terminator: how many police are out there? Other guy: All of them.") So I realized that this car was not an art installtion.

I used to know someone who had been a senior officer in a British Army regiment. When the regiment carried out an inventory of vehicles they discovered there was one more armoured car or tank than there should have been. They decided that owning up to this would be more trouble than it was worth so, you've guessed it, they buried it. And it's probably still there, somewhere in Germany.

I used to know someone who had been a senior officer in a British Army regiment. When the regiment carried out an inventory of vehicles they discovered there was one more armoured car or tank than there should have been. They decided that owning up to this would be more trouble than it was worth so, you've guessed it, they buried it. And it's probably still there, somewhere in Germany.

I've heard of sweeping things under the carpet but.. You'd need a pretty big hole to bury an armoured car & a ginormous one for a tank.

I've heard of sweeping things under the carpet but.. You'd need a pretty big hole to bury an armoured car & a ginormous one for a tank.
Very true. He could tell a tale or two, but I don't think he was joking. Would've been a right bummer if the Russians had invaded and they were one tank short.

Isn't there an urban myth about diggers used on building sites being too expensive to move out of the holes they dig, so they're buried in the foundations of the buildings? Something like that?

Isn't there an urban myth about diggers used on building sites being too expensive to move out of the holes they dig, so they're buried in the foundations of the buildings? Something like that?

In 2014 this article in New Statesman:

https://www.newstatesman.com/business/2014/06/bizarre-secret-london-s-buried-diggers

... was widely cited as revealing that up to 1,000 diggers / excavators had been interred rather than recovered during below-ground property improvement projects.

This story was quickly echoed through all sorts of channels, including trade publications such as this one:

https://www.equipmentworld.com/buri...ectly-good-excavators-beneath-their-jobsites/

However ...

The story was immediately disputed as soon as it was published, and it's still disputed to this day:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/06/london-urban-legend-jcb-digger_n_5459717.html

https://www.quarrymagazine.com/2020/03/19/buried-diggers-fact-or-urban-legend/

Flipping that 180⁰, large awkward holes have been filled up with tanks. Such was the fate of Deborah, a WW1 British Mk. IV buried at Flesquières in northern France.

More recently buried and rediscovered was a German WW2 Tiger Ausf. B (AKA King Tiger or Tiger 2) which was used to fill a bomb crater in a road at Mantes-la-Jolie, France, in 1944.

maximus otter

Last edited:

I don't think it's solely an urban myth. Many years ago a friend discovered a buried excavator in the back garden of his recently built house.

Flipping that 180⁰, large awkward holes have been filled up with tanks. Such was the fate of Deborah, a WW1 British Mk. IV buried at Flesquières in northern France.

More recently buried and rediscovered was a German WW2 Tiger Ausf. B (AKA King Tiger or Tiger 2) which was used to fill a bomb crater in a road at Mantes-la-Jolie, France, in 1944.

maximus otter
Has that King Tiger now been removed then? I know that it's been talked about for years. If largely intact it would be worth millions.

Has that King Tiger now been removed then? I know that it's been talked about for years. If largely intact it would be worth millions.

When last l heard, French bureaucracy (l get the impression that it’s like the Indian babu system, but without the sense of urgency...) was delaying the process. The plan is to excavate it, and turn it into a memorial, but l’m not aware of its progress.

Shadock notes its existence, but with no update.

l’m sure that pro restorers, such as Kevin Wheatcroft, would kill and eat small children to get their hands on it...

maximus otter

Hmm, I'm not sure if the following story fits here or not - the car being neither buried nor it's fate being mysterious, but it's probably as near a fit as I'm going to find on the boards!

As a nipper, my family spent many wonderful weekends at St Mary's Loch in the Scottish borders. My father and I both sailed on the loch, and during our sojourns there I made the acquaintance of an elderly local 'character' called Sid, who lived in a hut at the west end of the loch. Sid made his living during the summer by occasional shepherding or gamekeeping duties, and by hand-carving walking sticks that he sold to the tourists.

Sid once told me a story that went something like this:

Many years previously, during a long cold winter, during which the loch had frozen over, some of the locals gathered in the bar of the Rodono Hotel (now a private house), which overlooked the loch. The then owner of the hotel, along with his wife, was planning on emigrating to Australia but was concerned about his car; an immaculate Model T Ford, that was his pride and joy*. The owner couldn't afford to take it with him, but nor could he thole the thought of someone else owning it if he sold it.

Considerable beer and whisky having been consumed, it was decided to ensure that the car would never fall into someone else's hands and the inebriated company clambered into the vehicle, drove it onto the loch, and then slipped and skidded their way back over the ice on foot to the warmth of the hotel bar.

A few days later a thaw set in, the ice began to melt, and the Model T sank to it's final resting place at the bottom of the loch.

Even as a twelve or thirteen year old I was somewhat skeptical of the above tale.

However, through the Internet, I've recently found that it's quite widely known. Although the accounts on the net ascribe the sinking to 'high-society' high-jinks rather than inebriated locals, I'm inclined to believe Sid; who was, so he claimed, one of those drunken passengers that night.

From this site

Folklore

Rodono House

We used to think that the following was an old wives tale but its true! In 1934 the inhabitants of Rodono House a Victorian Hunting lodge on the banks of the loch were having one of their famous partys when a couple of inebriated guests drove the car (a model T Ford presumably in Black) out on to the frozen loch and left it there and when the thaw came it sunk.

Now exactly where it is today god only knows, but the local sub aqua club have had numerous dives in the area in which it was known to have sunk to see if they could find any remnants of the car and to date have come up empty handed. So if you have difficulty in pulling in your anchor it may just be that a model T Ford is on the end of it, if so let us know.

According to the locals, the bottom of St Marys loch is also home to an old tractor which was pushed out on to the frozen loch one day when its useful working life had come to an end.

The loch is also known as the "silent loch" and is reputed to be the coldest loch in Scotland!

Some more on the Rodono Hotel - among other things the refuge to which the late Mandy Rice-Davies fled when the Profumo scandal broke.

* Sid described the car as being one of those that was so dear to it's owner that it rarely left the garage for fear of the sun fading it's paint, it's finish being marred by stone-chips, or, heaven forbid, rain raising the possibility of rust!

On the Danny Baker podcast someone e-mailed to say they once knew a rogue in the Army who buried a couple of jeeps in the African desert before he was about to be discharged, then once he was on civvy street he and a friend went back to the carefully marked spot, dug up the jeeps and drove them back to Britain where they were repainted and sold at a tidy profit.

One of my uncles-by-marriage had two brothers killed in WWII, and they were both buried in Italy. For reasons that are not entirely clear to me, he buried both of their motorbikes. I think it was compensating for the fact that he couldn't bury his brothers in England.

The stories of buried excavators may have originated in the Appalachian coal country of the US. The excavators used in some of those strip mines are the size of an office block, transported in pieces and assembled on-site. The story is that, when the mine is depleted, the equipment has been fully amortized, and it doesn't make economic sense to disassemble and remove it. Ergo, bury it when the land is reclaimed.

So I am told by folks who work in the mining industry . . .

Back