• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery Booms From The Sky (Skyquakes)

A single massive boom heard over Utah and southern Idaho is suspected to have resulted from a meteor.
Officials: Loud ‘boom’ heard in north Utah likely a meteor

A loud “boom” heard across areas of northern Utah was likely a meteor, officials said Saturday.

Reports of the loud noise circulated at about 8:30 a.m., with people from Orem to southern Idaho posting that they heard the “boom,” The Salt Lake Tribune reported.

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox tweeted that his office confirmed it was not related to any seismic activity or military installations.

The National Weather Service’s Salt Lake City office wrote in a tweet that its lightning detection mapper likely picked up the meteor’s trail flash, which officials said seemed to be confirmed by witness video in Roy. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/astronomy-science-utah-salt-lake-city-a3829bf8643abf153f51f1a839326058

Here's a video that captured the boom's occurrence ...

The Utah event was confirmed. https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/loud-boom-homes-shake-after-possible-meteor/

I'm confused, though. I've been keeping track of "mystery booms" for about a year now as reported in the news. So many of these are almost certainly meteors or aircraft sonic booms, many get confirmed by other sources. But every time it comes up once again, it's labeled "a mystery". At this point, meteor should be a default explanation. Now that satellites can confirm the traces, this cause should be well established.

It is a mystery. Just one that can be solved fairly easily.

Several years ago we had an earthquake here, and the sound itself woke me up; I must admit my first guess was 'meteor' rather than 'earthquake', since I really didn't expect that an earthquake in the UK would be strong enough to be audible.

It is a mystery. Just one that can be solved fairly easily.

Several years ago we had an earthquake here, and the sound itself woke me up; I must admit my first guess was 'meteor' rather than 'earthquake', since I really didn't expect that an earthquake in the UK would be strong enough to be audible.
How odd, I have only experienced one earthquake in NJ -
it was about 15 years ago, I was at home that afternoon and was typing on the computer when I felt the room was 'swaying'. No sound or noise. I got up and ran to a huge heavy piece of wooden furniture we have and put my hands on it, it was swaying back and forth also. I ran outside, as were my neighbors.
It was just a small quake, no damage.

Mystery boom rattles Outer Banks, shaking windows and ripping pictures off walls

Late Thursday morning, a big boom shook parts of the Outer Banks, rattling windows, shaking pictures off walls, scaring family pets and driving people to social media to see if anyone knew the source.

The rumbles are a jarring but familiar phenomena along the chain of barrier islands in North Carolina. They even have a name: Seneca guns. But what causes the episodes — which have been heard and felt for centuries — is a long-debated mystery.

Thursday’s single boom vibrated across Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills around 11:30 a.m. The on-duty seismologist at the U.S. Geological Survey searched for any seismic activity in the area strong enough to cause the boom, but found nothing.

A spokesperson with Marine Corps said neither the Marines nor military partners were conducting training or flights in the area Thursday. A spokesperson for Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach said the same.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and...cle_70320549-54b0-51b6-bfa3-c5587ee245f1.html

maximus otter

What is that noise? South Tampa neighbors search for source of mystery bass sound​

/more at link

https://www.fox13news.com/news/south-tampa-neighbors-search-for-source-of-mystery-bass-sound

-----------------------------------------------------
TAMPA, Fla. - Neighbors around South Tampa have a mystery on their hands. What is that strange noise?

Hundreds of people have taken to social media, complaining about a deep bass sound that can often be heard and even felt on some Saturday nights into the early morning hours.

"A deep vibrating, bass sound," said Abbi Reynolds, a resident. "You can feel it when your head's down on the pillow."

People are reporting the low vibration from the top of the peninsula to the bottom, and clear to Davis Islands. So far, no one knows the source, not even the police.

What is that noise? South Tampa neighbors search for source of mystery bass sound​

/more at link

https://www.fox13news.com/news/south-tampa-neighbors-search-for-source-of-mystery-bass-sound

-----------------------------------------------------
TAMPA, Fla. - Neighbors around South Tampa have a mystery on their hands. What is that strange noise?

Hundreds of people have taken to social media, complaining about a deep bass sound that can often be heard and even felt on some Saturday nights into the early morning hours.

"A deep vibrating, bass sound," said Abbi Reynolds, a resident. "You can feel it when your head's down on the pillow."

People are reporting the low vibration from the top of the peninsula to the bottom, and clear to Davis Islands. So far, no one knows the source, not even the police.
Seems like the best clue to what might be emitting the sound would be that it is heard on Saturday Nights?

I don't doubt this, in bed one night about 11pm and can feel/hear a beat type
noise, think it may be a big ships diesel running we can sometimes hear them
3 or 4 miles away, then daughter txt's they have a band and are playing the
local pub, the pub is in the next town this is a long way by rd but in a straight
line a 1/4 mile to the harbor, 1/2 a mile across then maybe 1/4 mile the other
side, she was amazed when I could tell her when one song ended and the next
started thought I had second sight, it was definitely them.

:omr:

US Booms last week
From this week's Weekly Weird Newsletter:

Mysterious booms rattled several states this week, particularly last Saturday night! What seemed like an explosion occurred inside Riverside Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan. A security camera captured a flash and then a boom. Local residents suspect it was a homemade explosive or firework. Police were on the scene quickly but found nothing. https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/grand-rapids/explosion-in-grand-rapids-caught-on-camera and
Around the same time, home security cameras captured a flash a second before a boom rattled the ground in Kootenai County, Idaho. Police didn’t find any damage, such as from an explosion, and didn’t locate the source of the sound that they concluded was from the air, probably from a meteor exploding. But residents also suspect it was explosives. No meteor was seen. https://cdapress.com/news/2022/dec/03/unidentified-boom-heard-pf-and-rathdrum/

Slightly earlier, around 9:35 PM, a flash and boom was captured in Sewell, New Jersey. The local meteorologist received reports of hearing the boom all the way north to the Poconos in Pennsylvania. He said there was a temperature inversion that could carry sound but it seems unlikely that the sources were the same. No meteor was spotted.
On Monday afternoon, residents in southern New Jersey felt repeated rattling of windows and shaking of their houses. Some assumed it was seismic activity and reported it to the VolcanoDiscovery website (which was weird). But no earthquakes were actually measured by any seismograph network. The VolcanoDiscovery website logs anecdotal, unconfirmed reports but one must check the official records to determine if the ground actually moved. Instead, this again appears to be from an aerial source. The suspect is aircraft activity out of the Naval Air Station at Patuxent River. Southern New Jersey is no stranger to loud booms. These are often likely related to aircraft creating sonic booms. https://www.nj.com/news/2022/12/rum...nday-but-no-evidence-of-seismic-activity.html

Mystery booms of 2022​

https://sharonahill.substack.com/p/the-mystery-booms-and-skyquakes-of

In 2022, I collected a list of 41 events around the world. Granted, this is skewed by my necessary preference for English news reporting. So, this is not a scientific study. No one else, as far I can find, has written an analysis of mystery booms in such a time frame. When considering the causes, notable characteristics are season, weather, and the occurrence of an associated flash. Was it a weekend, or a holiday that might indicate celebratory explosives? Also important is if the sound is single or multiple booms. Out of the 41 events:

31 were singles booms
7 events were multiple booms over times (hours or days)
3 events were described as two booms in close succession

I noted that booms are more likely to be heard and a cause of concern in the cold months. There may be solid reasons for this. People are in their homes during the winter. Sound from various sources travels farther in cold air, when there is less vegetative cover on trees. A structure with closed windows may amplify the sound. Low cloud cover can reflect sounds back to the ground. Back in 2021, out of 43 events I documented, 15 occurred in December alone.

For 2022, I kept track of what authorities and/or the media noted were the suspected causes of the booms. Some are easy to pinpoint if they are associated with other evidence - such as a visual report of a meteor or ground evidence of an explosion. Some events have strong circumstantial evidence due to location or timing - such as military aircraft testing, explosive materials/fireworks, lightning storms, or shallow earthquakes.

For the past year, of my 41 events:
  • 7 were definite or suspected aircraft-created sonic booms or loud noise - military jets, rocket launch or spaceplane
  • 5 were definite shallow small earthquakes
  • 4 were definite meteor airburst/sonic booms
  • 3 were definite or suspected explosive material - fireworks, tannerite, or homemade bombs
  • 2 were related to lightning storms
  • 2 were probable frost quakes
  • 2 were industrial noise malfunction
  • 5 were sonic booms of unknown origin
  • 11 remain of unknown origin because of insufficient information

The rest of the information is here: https://sharonahill.substack.com/p/the-mystery-booms-and-skyquakes-of

Last edited:
In the video there’s only a short time between the flash and the bang. Sound travels just over .2 of a mile in a second so it can’t be far from the cam.

Jersey Shore residents report loud, sustained rumbling

Jan. 13, 2023, 2:40 p.m.

A loud, sustained rumbling shook residents and buildings along the Jersey Shore on Friday afternoon leading some to speculate on social media that an earthquake could be to blame.

But the U.S. Geological Survey site shows no signs of seismic activity in New Jersey or neighboring states as of 2:30 p.m., about 30 minutes after the tremors rattled windows and houses.

Residents from as far south as Cape May and up to Manahawkin along the coast and as far west as Glassboro in Gloucester County reported feeling the shaking on social media. The tremor lasted at least 10 seconds.

“I thought my house was about to explode,” posted one user to Facebook.

A supersonic military airplane was flying a few miles off the coast on Friday, and could have been the cause of the rumbling, the Press of Atlantic City reported. The military has an Atlantic test track for flights about 3 miles off the eastern seaboard, and a sonic boom would occur if a plane was flying fast enough to break the sound barrier.

The Naval Air Station in Maryland also announced it was running low-altitude test flights Friday, and issued a noise advisory as a result.

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/01/ear...residents-report-loud-sustained-rumbling.html

maximus otter

The reporting to Volcano Discovery https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes-past7days-showMore.html is a fairly new thing and people are catching on social media causes people to jump on the band wagon. These reports from New Jersey last week have hundreds of reports listed.
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 10.16.42 AM.png

I took a look at others and noticed that in some other instances, people are hearing thunder or wind-related noise and reporting it. It's subjective and all over the place. I have a feeling this site will end up being a lot of garbage data. But it is interesting that people are now mashing the ideas of earthquakes and "skyquakes" together. Any booming sound is now considered "anomalous" and people are actively listening for them.

I have mentioned before that I often hear what sounds like a plane overhead, but with no plane visible and the sound going on for a long time, sometimes hours! It happened again yesterday so I made a short video hoping to catch the sound. Any ideas?

I have mentioned before that I often hear what sounds like a plane overhead, but with no plane visible and the sound going on for a long time, sometimes hours! It happened again yesterday so I made a short video hoping to catch the sound. Any ideas?
Are you near a military air base?

lf you live near a military training area, e.g. the RAF bombing range in the Wash, you could have military aircraft loitering in your area for protracted periods.

l’ve experienced just such a noise near one such area, the aircraft producing it remaining out of sight.

maximus otter

lf you live near a military training area, e.g. the RAF bombing range in the Wash, you could have military aircraft loitering in your area for protracted periods.

l’ve experienced just such a noise near one such area, the aircraft producing it remaining out of sight.

maximus otter
I'll not discount it completely as a possibility. If you watch the clip on YouTube, it takes you to my page. There are a couple of other clips on there, in one of which, you hear the sound stop abruptly. It's been going on for years and I've never got to the bottom of it.
The clip link.

I'll not discount it completely as a possibility. If you watch the clip on YouTube, it takes you to my page. There are a couple of other clips on there, in one of which, you hear the sound stop abruptly. It's been going on for years and I've never got to the bottom of it.
The clip link.

My guess is that when you hear the sound "stop" abruptly, it's the unseen aircraft switching off its afterburners.

I've heard all of this from conventional jet fighters manoeuvring overhead.

maximus otter

My guess is that when you hear the sound "stop" abruptly, it's the unseen aircraft switching off its afterburners.

I've heard all of this from conventional jet fighters manoeuvring overhead.

maximus otter
I often heard similar sounds from aircraft at a good distance when I used to visit the coast near RAF Leuchars on Sea fishing trips, or exploratory coastal curiosity, on the East coast of Scotland. The sudden cut off of sound was due to the distant aircraft's sound being blocked by way of hills/etc cutting out the sound wave when they were flying quite low to ground/sea. That's what it reminds me of Maximus & Rushfan62. Back then it was mainly from fast jets and they used to go round and round quite a lot before they returned to there base.

I hear noise like this almost every day when I'm at work. Work is not far away from a small air base.
I can hear the planes circling around in a big arc with their afterburners on, then when they turn them off, there's a sudden change in pitch, like a 'whoop'.

Reports of Loud Explosion in Mission, Texas are Being Investigated by Multiple Agencies After a Meteor was Spotted in the Area

Hidalgo County Sheriff Eddie Guerra was alerted by federal colleagues that Houston Air Traffic Control received reports from two aircraft claiming they witnessed a meteor west of McAllen.

Jonathan Flores, chief of police in Alton, told ValleyCentral that they heard the explosion, but the origin of the explosion is yet unknown. They mentioned that they received several phone calls.

“I do know that it was widespread. There are multiple cities receiving the same call,” Flores said.

According to Mission Police Chief Cesar Torres, they have now received hundreds of calls from concerned individuals who “heard the earth shake.”

“I was notified by federal authorities as well with same information. The Mission Police Department received over 100 calls regarding a loud explosion and as a result, many homes shook in a violent manner. The scene has not been located but the most important thing is that there are no reports of any injuries,” he said.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...iple-agencies-meteorite-reportedly-seen-area/

maximus otter

This story is a bit more interesting in Rhode Island. Not a meteor. Is repeating. Could be local explosions (which is annoying, if not dangerous). Maybe military activity. Maybe, they should put some seismographs out there.

https://www.abc6.com/it-shakes-my-whole-house-mysterious-booms-baffle-north-kingstown/
You mention 'seismographs,' and 'repeating booms.' Sound very much like someone is carrying out seismographic surveys - using controlled ground explosions to complete there exploratory surveying mission perhaps?

Last summer I was starting one of my old bikes and it back fired, what a bang
never heard anything like it sounded like a cannon had gone off, I was asked
several times in the days after did I hear that big bang, apparently heard all
over the village, didn't put them right.

You mention 'seismographs,' and 'repeating booms.' Sound very much like someone is carrying out seismographic surveys - using controlled ground explosions to complete there exploratory surveying mission perhaps?
I don't think so. Such surveys have very small effects, they would occur during the day in a defined time span. Often, such projects would be known to officials. Easy to track. I'll have to check, but I don't think they create "booms" either. Just maybe tiny rumblings.

Mystery as residents around Leicester and beyond shocked by loud bang or sonic boom

Police have sought to reassure the public that there is no concern over the incident as it was reported it was a RAF Typhoon aircraft scrambled to intercept a plane that had suffered radio failure.

Dozens of people in and around Leicester have reported hearing an explosion or a sonic boom overhead.

There are suggestions it was heard as far away as Oxford.

The loud bang led to a swift reaction on social media as people speculated about the cause, including whether it was a jet breaking the sound barrier.

Twitter user Dr Jon Sutton said: "Massive boom heard over a wide area of Leicestershire. Aircraft, or meteor?"

Naomi tweeted: "Anyone in Leicester know what the hell that massive explosion was?? It shook our house and the birds are going crazy."

Another user wrote: "Very loud boom in Leicester about 15 mins ago. Felt the air shake - cats scared and ran indoors. Very unnerving - what the hell was it?"

Reports later emerged it may have been a RAF Typhoon aircraft scrambled to intercept a plane that had suffered radio failure, which later landed at an airfield in Epping.

Leicestershire police said: "We have received numerous calls in relation to a large explosion sound heard from various parts of the city and county.

"We like to reassure you that there is no concern however thank you for your immediate response to us."

The neighbouring Northamptonshire force said: "Police and fire services in Northamptonshire have received numerous calls in relation to a large explosion sound heard from various parts of the county.

"We would like to reassure people there is no concern, but thank you for contacting us."

Now, donning my MYSTERY hat (an ordinary hat on which I've written MYSTERY with a glitter glue pen) the boom apparently occurred in the middle of an equilateral triangle formed by Oxford, Cambridge and Leicester:

100.jpg

These three cities are precisely 100km apart. We know when, where and how, but who is trying to tell us something? What are they trying to tell us? And why?? :pop:

Back