Mystery Booms From The Sky (Skyquakes)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
A single massive boom heard over Utah and southern Idaho is suspected to have resulted from a meteor.
Officials: Loud ‘boom’ heard in north Utah likely a meteor

A loud “boom” heard across areas of northern Utah was likely a meteor, officials said Saturday.

Reports of the loud noise circulated at about 8:30 a.m., with people from Orem to southern Idaho posting that they heard the “boom,” The Salt Lake Tribune reported.

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox tweeted that his office confirmed it was not related to any seismic activity or military installations.

The National Weather Service’s Salt Lake City office wrote in a tweet that its lightning detection mapper likely picked up the meteor’s trail flash, which officials said seemed to be confirmed by witness video in Roy. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/astronomy-science-utah-salt-lake-city-a3829bf8643abf153f51f1a839326058

Here's a video that captured the boom's occurrence ...

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
The Utah event was confirmed. https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/loud-boom-homes-shake-after-possible-meteor/

I'm confused, though. I've been keeping track of "mystery booms" for about a year now as reported in the news. So many of these are almost certainly meteors or aircraft sonic booms, many get confirmed by other sources. But every time it comes up once again, it's labeled "a mystery". At this point, meteor should be a default explanation. Now that satellites can confirm the traces, this cause should be well established.

eburacum

Papo-furado
It is a mystery. Just one that can be solved fairly easily.

Several years ago we had an earthquake here, and the sound itself woke me up; I must admit my first guess was 'meteor' rather than 'earthquake', since I really didn't expect that an earthquake in the UK would be strong enough to be audible.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
It is a mystery. Just one that can be solved fairly easily.

Several years ago we had an earthquake here, and the sound itself woke me up; I must admit my first guess was 'meteor' rather than 'earthquake', since I really didn't expect that an earthquake in the UK would be strong enough to be audible.
How odd, I have only experienced one earthquake in NJ -
it was about 15 years ago, I was at home that afternoon and was typing on the computer when I felt the room was 'swaying'. No sound or noise. I got up and ran to a huge heavy piece of wooden furniture we have and put my hands on it, it was swaying back and forth also. I ran outside, as were my neighbors.
It was just a small quake, no damage.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Mystery boom rattles Outer Banks, shaking windows and ripping pictures off walls

Late Thursday morning, a big boom shook parts of the Outer Banks, rattling windows, shaking pictures off walls, scaring family pets and driving people to social media to see if anyone knew the source.

The rumbles are a jarring but familiar phenomena along the chain of barrier islands in North Carolina. They even have a name: Seneca guns. But what causes the episodes — which have been heard and felt for centuries — is a long-debated mystery.

Thursday’s single boom vibrated across Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills around 11:30 a.m. The on-duty seismologist at the U.S. Geological Survey searched for any seismic activity in the area strong enough to cause the boom, but found nothing.

A spokesperson with Marine Corps said neither the Marines nor military partners were conducting training or flights in the area Thursday. A spokesperson for Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach said the same.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and...cle_70320549-54b0-51b6-bfa3-c5587ee245f1.html

maximus otter