• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery Booms From The Sky (Skyquakes)

If by "trump" - note small 't' - can we take this to mean the previously mentioned "loud fart", and not the former President, then we can keep the post intact.

If you do mean the former President, then it'll at least need editing to fall in with the "no politics" rule.

Shall we take it to mean the previously mentioned "loud fart", then?
Go half-way I would suggest. . . a Trump-et?

Last edited:
Maybe advisable to put a line above the link to the boom story to explain what it is?
Some people (not me) are wary of clicking on blind links.
I click on anything. Always ready for adventure me.
Thanks Trevp666. The link is from the Huffington Post describing a mystery boom that was heart/felt in New Hampshire and parts of Massachusetts (USA).

*slight edit, spelling errors.

Why does Huffington ring a bell? I wont sleep now tonight.
:omr:

A few more booms this week:

Orange and San Diego Counties, coastal California. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...diego-county-coastlines-early-monday-morning/
This "double" boom sounds very much like a supersonic aircraft. Testing of a new plane in early hours seems likely.

A boom centered around Stow, Massachusetts around 10pm on a Wednesday night is less clear.
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/11/18/stow-loud-booms/
People across several towns reported the noise to emergency services. No seismic activity was noted, which doesn't mean that it wasn't a shallow small quake. But this seems unlikely considering the area is well monitored.

On Wednesday our shop was full of people saying 'did you feel the earthquake?' None of us did, so we went and looked it up and there had been a 'noise' associated with doors rattling and things shaking. I questioned whether earthquakes came associated with noise and everyone looked at me as though I were mad.
However, it's starting to look like it was a sonic boom, rather than an earthquake.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/19724180.earthquake-north-yorkshire-may-sonic-boom-say-experts/
So I consider myself vindicated.

We had a very slight shake Thursday morning about 9:10
it showed on a local seismograph trace but not seen any
mention of it on local media, this was in the Fylde area.
:omr:

On Wednesday our shop was full of people saying 'did you feel the earthquake?' None of us did, so we went and looked it up and there had been a 'noise' associated with doors rattling and things shaking. I questioned whether earthquakes came associated with noise and everyone looked at me as though I were mad.
However, it's starting to look like it was a sonic boom, rather than an earthquake.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/19724180.earthquake-north-yorkshire-may-sonic-boom-say-experts/
So I consider myself vindicated.
Yes. Earthquakes have noise if they occur very close by or are very large and you are farther away. The noise can vary from whistling, whooshing, to booming or rumbling.

It seems the boom was caused by a Swiss F18 taking part in a exercise
Yep, in the local paper today. No earthquake, just a sonic boom.

I used to live 'down south' and we were used to Concorde breaking the sound barrier as it flew out over the coast. It's been a long time and up North, I suppose they never got used to the 'sonic boom' so were misreading it as an earthquake because things shook.

Reactions: RaM
That's the same article I posted but on a syndicated site.
That's the same article I posted but on a syndicated site.
The only reason I searched for this 'other' web site Sharon, was because the page that you had given wasn't able to load any of the photos, and I wanted to see if there was another website with which to view them.:bpals:

Last edited:

Exploding meteor blamed for ground shaking, loud boom in Pittsburgh

Officials from the National Weather Service believe that a meteor exploded in the Pittsburgh area on New Year’s Day after residents reported feeling the ground shaking and hearing a massive boom.

Allegheny County officials tweeted Saturday that county 911 officials had received reports from South Hills and other areas about the disturbance.

FIC7NqOVgAAU2_1

This GOES-16 GLM Total Optical Energy product shows a flash that was not associated with lightning. No confirmation, but this is the most likely explanation at this time.

NWS could not confirm for certain that a meteor was the case, but data showed a flash in the area that wasn’t lightning around 11:26 a.m. — around the time residents reported the loud noise and ground trembling.

Residents around suburban Pittsburgh reported feeling their homes shaking and rattling while a loud noise rang out in the region.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/02/exploding-meteor-blamed-for-ground-shaking-loud-boom-in-pittsburgh/

maximus otter

New Orleans residents rattled by mysterious 'boom'
https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-mysterious-boom/38889796

Many New Orleans residents reported hearing a loud sound across the city Tuesday night.
The sound has been described as a "sonic boom."
Andrew Thomas, Public Affairs Officer for the Belle Chasse Naval Air Station said no planes from that base were in the air last night.
The FAA also said it has no records of any unusual aviation activity in that area at that time.

No initial evidence of a meteor, either.

I have nothing to add to this thread just now, aside from the fact that The Mystery Booms is probably the best band name we've ever come up with.

A bit too close to The Mystery Jets, mind you.

Oh, yeah - forgot about them.

'Boom' is a much more satisfying word than 'jet', though. We definitely got that bass sound sorted right there.

Last edited:
I have nothing to add to this thread just now, aside from the fact that The Mystery Booms is probably the best band name we've ever come up with.
It's all due to the Town Rat's I tell you.:doh:

Mystery booms in remote areas of Washington islands point to homemade bombs​

The San Juan Islands of the coast of Washington, near Canada, have been the location of periodic strange booms since 2019. The dates reported by the San Juan Islander news site note events in November and December 2019, March, May and October of 2021, and the most recent was March 7, 2022. The seismically active area is flush with seismographs. Seismologist Steve Malone looked at 10 readings in the area after the latest boom. The energy event was on the surface, not a result of seismic waves. He was able to mathematically determine the location of the boom was near Crescent Beach Preserve just east of Eastsound. The sound was carried 23 miles due to conducive atmospheric conditions - a stable atmosphere and no wind or temperature gradients. The data ruled out an aerial explosion such as a meteor. It didn’t appear to be a mining-related blast or military exercises. It appears that the source is another illegal explosion. Last year at this time, a homemade pipe bomb was discovered detonated at False Bay. Law enforcement is investigating this disturbing trend. https://sanjuanislander.com/news-ar...booms-on-orcas-island-and-forensic-seismology

Huge mystery explosions are waking up a Welsh town in the middle of the night and police are now investigating.

People are baffled as to the real cause, although there are plenty of theories.

Police are set to carry out patrols in a small Welsh town because residents keep being woken up in the middle of the night by unexplained “explosions”. The strange noises have been reported in the coastal town of Llanfairfechan in Conwy over the past few weeks.

Theories have been put forward to explain the explosions, including railway works, lightning strikes, quarry blasts and fireworks, but so far people living in the town are dumfounded as to what could be causing the noises, which are often accompanied by blinding flashes of light.

The explosions normally occur at the same time of night - around 4am - and residents living in Llanfairfechan and further afield have heard them. According to North Wales Live, one resident in nearby Deganwy said that it “sounded like bombs going off - all the dogs were barking and birds were flying in panic. It scared me.”
(C) WoL. '22

There is a big ol' quarry there. It's either some daft pranksters having fun or somebody is making a film (but didn't tell anyone).

Has anyone looked into the potential mechanism for such mystery booms being something like a large slow whirlwind, which just has enough energy to reduce pressure in the centre by a 100-200mb, then collapses. Kind of a macro scale vortex shedding thing?

Back