• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery Booms From The Sky (Skyquakes)

Yes- can't find anything specific but it seems to be against aviation rules and guidelines, rather than law, to cause a sonic boom over land unless there are "operational reasons" for doing so.
Unless it's secret and involves the MoD or the armed forces. Then they'll say nothing. Plus everyone will now chatter about a 'mystery boom'.

I think if there is a necessity to do so, the military will happily unleash sonic booms anywhere and anywhen they like.

First time i heard one i thought something had hit the side of the house, turned out it was old mine shafts caving in
And i have heard two more booms in Skeggy, one as the jet that crashed in The Wash, and the other decided not to wait till he got out to sea to hit the sound barrier, he did it over Chapel St Leonards

Edited

Last edited:
This article claims there were at least 64 mystery boom events reported worldwide in 2017.

It describes the latest rash of mystery booms in the USA - in a Denver-area town ...

Mysterious ‘booms’ heard in the middle of the night in towns around the world
Mysterious ‘booms’ have been ringing out in the middle of the night in an American town, keeping people awake, and leaving police baffled.

It’s the latest in a series of reports of mysterious noises seemingly coming from nowhere.

The sound, in Denver Colorado, has been ringing out for weeks, with locals capturing it on CCTV cameras. ...

SOURCE: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mysterious-booms-heard-middle-night-towns-around-world-110814381.html

I enjoyed this video from a North Carolina meteorologist explaining a very loud boom experienced by Charlotte, NC residents in late January. He says it was a positive lightning bolt and provides evidence to show why it was so darn loud.
http://www.wcnc.com/video/news/local/panovich-the-full-rundown-on-the-big-boom/275-2898021

Unexplained booms are like UFOs. People often see/hear things that they can't readily identify. There are so many possible explanations for booms and "sky noises" that to call them "apocalyptic" and a "cover-up" like the StrangeSounds site does is lazy and ridiculous. I find the ice quakes and shallow earthquakes explanations to be particularly neat. Sonic booms are so boring.

Mysterious Booms Across Pennsylvania Triggers FBI Investigation

For the past month, residents in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, have been reporting mysterious booms overnight. However, nobody — not even local authorities — can explain.

Now, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has arrived in Upper Bucks and Lehigh Counties to investigate the nighttime explosions. Springfield Township police say that multiple earth-shaking booms occurred as recent as 4 a.m. on Tuesday, according to KYW-TV.

While federal authorities are circling the region in search of the source, everyone is puzzled at what is causing the explosions.

“I thought that somebody was making a tunnel or space junk fell out of the sky,” said Susan Crompton, who lives in Haycock Township.

“From poachers, gunfire, to explosions to a sonic boom,” said Jerry Hertz of the mysterious sound.

KYW-TV said there had been no shortage of theories among residents, but still, no clear answer of the cause.

“It’s a rumble, it actually like rumbles the ground like an earthquake would happen but with a loud like boom,” Crompton added.

“I’ve been in the military, I’ve got experience with explosives, I was a Navy diver and was definitely not a gunshot,” Hertz said.

Mysterious Booms, House-Rattling Sounds In Pennsylvania Under Investigation By FBI

Since early April, local law enforcement agencies have noticed that all reported booms have taken place between the 2 a.m. and 4:30 a.m.

Crompton and her daughter have heard the booms twice, indicating that it felt like an explosion, as it shook her house.

“It is imperative that we get the information as soon as possible in order to track these events,” said police.

What is even more perplexing, is that another explosion was reported on early Sunday morning in Nockamixon Township. Resident Nick Zangli told the Bucks County Herald “it was one hell of an explosion,” who lives down the street from a 4-foot wide by 1-foot deep cavity, which he alleges opened up after the blast.

Zangli said there was “nothing in the hole, which was filled with water because of heavy rain over the weekend.” Law enforcement came out Monday to investigate the sinkhole but did not respond to any media requests.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...cross-pennsylvania-triggers-fbi-investigation

Mysterious Booms Across Pennsylvania Triggers FBI Investigation

What is even more perplexing, is that another explosion was reported on early Sunday morning in Nockamixon Township. Resident Nick Zangli told the Bucks County Herald “it was one hell of an explosion,” who lives down the street from a 4-foot wide by 1-foot deep cavity, which he alleges opened up after the blast.

Zangli said there was “nothing in the hole, which was filled with water because of heavy rain over the weekend.” Law enforcement came out Monday to investigate the sinkhole but did not respond to any media requests.
I wish there was a picture of this "cavity". I strongly suspect it's not related. I'm trying to follow up with some locals on this but I live pretty far away. The geology is similar to that of Dillsburg, PA and Moodus, CT where shallow seismic activity causes "booms" that are not recorded on the existing seismograph network.

More on this situation is reported...

Police: Over 20 Explosions Caused Mysterious Booms Reported In Bucks, Lehigh Counties

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A joint-investigation into the mysterious booms rattling the communities of Bucks and Lehigh Counties reveals the cause to be explosions, according to police.

Authorities said Tuesday that more than 20 explosions during the early-morning hours are the reason for the booms happening in the area since April 2.

Police also say they are still working with federal law enforcement to uncover the source and culprit behind the explosions.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...sions-mysterious-booms-bucks-lehigh-counties/

Police Investigating Another Mysterious Explosion In Bucks County After Tractor Cutting Grass Strikes Device

MILFORD TOWNSHIP, Pa. (CBS) — Authorities are investigating another mysterious explosion in Bucks County, this time after a tractor mowing grass struck a device.

Pennsylvania State Police say a Milford Township road crew member was cutting grass along Brick Tavern Road on Thursday when the tractor he was operating ran over the device, creating an approximately 1-foot-wide by 3-inch-deep crater.

The township worker was not hurt and there was no damage to the tractor.

“I’m very concerned, I’ve been concerned for a while,” said neighbor Lisa Bernstein.

Bernstein says she has called police numerous times in the past few months after hearing other explosions, usually between 1 and 4 in the morning.

“Yesterday, it was called in right away because most people in the middle of the night don’t hear it. Me, it will wake me right out of bed,” she said.

An explosion nearby on Brick Tavern Road rocked her house last Sunday.

“It’s scary to me,” said Bernstein. “It’s right in my backyard.”

Police believe this incident is connected to other mysterious explosions that have been rattling Bucks and Lehigh Counties.

Authorities say more than 20 explosions during the early-morning hours are the reason for the booms happening in the area since April 2.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...ikes-device-related-to-mysterious-explosions/

I was trying to find more info on the FT's report on the mystery horn blasts heard in Stekene, East Flanders, but the net is drawing a blank. The source mentioned isn't in English, which may be why. Anyone know any more about this case?

The local papers say:

Stekene is again a mystery.The municipality and police have received numerous calls over a horny sound in recent months.'We have already received reports from the Bormtestraat, Meersstraat, de Tragel and the Centrumwijk,' says Jan Van Dooren of the environmental department.'The sound takes a few seconds and comes back every few minutes.We have already investigated a number of possible causes, but for the time being without success.We already exclude that the noise comes from the pumping stations or a nearby factory. '

After the mystery of Kemzeke last year, Stekene is again puzzled. The municipality and police have received numerous calls over a horny sound in recent months. The municipality and police also make a call to provide tips.

Great, thanks Uair! Pausing briefly to snicker at the thought of another very loud "horny sound", it does come across like those YouTube videos where someone has dubbed over a trumpet blast - except it's happening in real life. Maybe someone with an industrial-sized air horn? I wouldn't put it past some sports fans to build one.

Police arrest Pa. man in connection with mysterious explosions
Updated 12:40 PM; Posted 12:40 PM

A man was taken in custody in connection with mysterious explosions that have rocked Bucks County in the last few months.

CBS Philly reports the arrest was made as multiple locations were investigated throughout an area in the county Thursday morning.

Officers were initially dispatched to a residence in the 2400 block of North Old Bethlehem Pike in Milford Township early Thursday morning, but then raided a second location on Spinnerstown Road, The Morning Call Reports.

More than a dozen police vehicles were seen at the building on North Old Bethlehem Pike, and a reporter on the scene was warned the scene was not secure.

Police later raided a dwelling on Sleepy Hollow Road, and hazardous material teams were also on the scene, according to the report.

The Bucks County District Attorney's Office, Bucks County Detectives, Pennsylvania State Police, the FBI and the ATF are on scene, CBS Philly reports.

The raids and police activity come as police have been investigating a number of mysterious explosions across upper Bucks County since April.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/06/police_arrest_pa_man_in_connec.html

Bucks County DA: Suspect Charged With Weapons Of Mass Destruction In Connection To Mysterious Explosions

BUCKS COUNTY, Pa. (CBS) — Police made an arrest Thursday in a series of mysterious explosions that have rocked Bucks County for months. Law enforcement converged on two locations in Quakertown as part of the investigation – a chemical company on Old Bethlehem Pike and the home of the owner of that company on Spinnerstown Road.

David Surman Jr. is being charged with possession of weapons of mass destruction. He would not speak when entering for his arraignment and made no comments about the disturbing finds in his home.

“This was what we believe to be a large bomb that was capable of mass destruction,” said Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub.

The FBI and ATF have worked the case with Pennsylvania State Police for months. They have been investigating 30 rattling booms which terrorized those living in Upper Bucks County since April 2.

The investigation turned on Thursday as authorities secured search warrants on two separate scenes: the Consolidated Chemical and Solvent Company which Surman Jr. owned on Bethlehem Pike and his home on Spinnerstown Road.

Federal agents conducts four controlled explosions across the street from his business.

Besides other bombs and chemicals, agents uncovered strange drawings and pictures, some with hate symbols, and others showing Surman Jr. and his girlfriend driving away from a bombing scene.

“You can see some of the musings that were found in the defendant’s house,” said Weintraub.

Weintraub says a motive is unclear and warns that there could be more planted bombs.

“I am a little concerned there may be unexploded bombs out there,” said Weintraub.

Neighbors, though, hope this is the end of the frightening booms which have terrorized them for months.

“I’m glad it’s over, for not only me, but the residents out here,” said one person. “We’re a close knit family and I’m just glad it’s over, if it’s over.”

Surman Jr. is being held on $750,000 bond.

To date, police say no one has reported any injuries related to the explosions.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...ounty-in-connection-to-mysterious-explosions/

Mystery booming sounds have been shaking houses and terrifying residents after "flashes of light" were spotted across America.

Experts have been left baffled by a spate of seismic booms from Arizona to New York that appear to have gathered pace over the past week.

The string of phenomena was first reported last Thursday morning when locals in three separate Tennessee counties reported hearing loud booming noises.

On the same day, North Carolinians contacted police reporting unexplained loud blasts and booms that kept them awake at night. Two homeowners said the booms were so powerful that they briefly lost power as a result of the tremors.

On Saturday, loud bangs were reported in Rhode Island, where Jeremy Braza's doorbell captured a video and audio of a loud noise over a three minute period:

"The whole house shook," he told TurnTo10.com.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8378268/booming-sounds-shake-houses-america-experts-baffled/

maximus otter

Bomb-like sounds - could it be someone mucking about with a bomb? :)

A bomb loud enough to be heard from Arizona to New York would leave significant evidence, e.g. the sudden inexplicable absence of Missouri.

;)

maximus otter

Or bombs/fireworks plural - is there any evidence of a synchronised single event?

Interesting stuff!

This may also be of interest, particularly for the future.

Space Weather News for Jan. 15, 2019
http://spaceweather.com
https://www.spaceweatheralerts.com

A COLLISION IN THE ASTEROID BELT: Something violent just happened in the asteroid belt. Not far beyond the orbit of Mars, asteroid 6478 Gault appears to have been struck by another asteroid. The resulting stream of debris stretches more than 400,000 km, which is greater than the distance between Earth and the Moon. Astronomers around the world are now monitoring the formerly unremarkable asteroid to see what happens next. Get the full story on today's edition of Spaceweather.com.

"..the RAF said it was not a sonic boom caused by one of its jets." Doesn't mean it wasn't caused by someone else's jets though.

Mystery night-time 'loud bang' heard in Highlands
  • 18 September 2019

People have reported hearing the sound of a "loud bang" in the Highlands on Tuesday night.
The noise was heard by people in and around Ullapool at about 20:00.
British Geological Survey has ruled out an earthquake and the RAF said it was not a sonic boom caused by one of its jets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49741335

That BBC article contains a classic example of misreporting:

The UK Meteor Network said if it was an exploding fireball this would have occurred 20 to 30 minutes prior to the sound being heard on the ground.

I was in an Outward Bound course in the North San Juans in the Rockies after high school and was rock climbing with some others in the group and we experienced one of these "sky explosions"; it terrified everyone and there seemed to be a shock wave and we were looking to see if there was some plume of smoke --if a factory had exploded somewhere in the distance.. Or worse.. and all we could see was the endless mountains.

I recently did some research into the Moodus Noises and was surprised to find out that the tiny earthquakes that can cause them are so small that they register magnitudes of 0 to -2 and are so shallow that they are only noticed within a range of a few hundred meters. They create audible sounds only because they are so shallow. You would not catch these unless you lived in the location. I'm inclined to think that some mystery booms are localized seismicity, cryoseisms or other shallow earth events that just are not caught by instruments. https://spookygeology.com/moodus-the-place-of-bad-noises/

Or, in unusual atmospheric circumstances, sound gets amplified, bounces off layers of the atmosphere and can't be easily traced.

The world is a very noisy place.

i'm still hearing weird booms in colchester, essex, uk.

the other day they were closer and i felt the vibration in the floor of our kitchen.

no fracking is happening in the area as we don't have any round hear.

not as loud as the random explosion sound from several months back early one morning, like a bolt of lightning or a transformer exploding, i swore when i heard that as i was only just waking up....

Lots of fireworks going off this time of year, just to rule those out.

Back