• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery 'Lost' Items

jafwilding1982

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Something weird happens in our house. Things have been randomly disappearing.
It started out when I lost a book and DVD. Strangely, they were about the same subject.
Then, today, my Mum lost her credit card in the house, somewhere within the distance on 5 feet. However, despite searching everywhere in the area and all of her files, there is no sign.
This cannot be a thief, as there was noone around in the house, unless it was an invisible theif.
Science teaches us that things cannot just disappear and that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. However, when things just go, what other explanation can there be?

jwilding said:
when things just go, what other explanation can there be?

could it be your absent minded or something? if you beleive things are genuinely dissapearing, set up a video camera and catch it in the act!

jwilding said:
Something weird happens in our house. Things have been randomly disappearing.
It started out when I lost a book and DVD. Strangely, they were about the same subject.
Then, today, my Mum lost her credit card in the house, somewhere within the distance on 5 feet. However, despite searching everywhere in the area and all of her files, there is no sign.
This cannot be a thief, as there was noone around in the house, unless it was an invisible theif.
Science teaches us that things cannot just disappear and that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. However, when things just go, what other explanation can there be?

There has been some threads in the past about stuff disappearing from houses.
Perhaps it's the house gnomes or the Borrowers?

Ravenous sofas: they'd consume the world if we let them.

Everything gravitates towards their cavernous recesses.

The other day I was looking for the receipt for a money order I sent to an eBay seller. I took everything out of my wallet; nada. Took everything out of my purse (which is not a large one); ditto. Repeated the whole operation several times.

Grabbed my wallet out of my purse today and what's clinging to it: the damn receipt. :confused:

things go missing?

jwilding:

Just wait, I bet these items will show up sooner or later when & where you are not expecting them.
But you need to stop looking for them.

Cheers

Try asking for them back, that's supposed to work. Sometimes.
Don't forget to say thank you though. :)

Not so much thins disappearing, but rather reappearing.

About 7 years ago I was on holiday in Corfu. Whilst there I was wearing a NY Yankees cap to keep thesun off my head. A friend of mine decided that it would be fun to steal my cap and throw it on a roof. So basically I lost my hat!

Now comes the bizarre bit. About two years later I was tidying up my spare room in my house. I had moved into this house about a week before I went to Corfu and lost my hat. Whilst tidying the room, what should appear from behind a wardrobe, but a NY Yankees cap!

I have no explanation for this at all! It freaked me for a while. Now I just try not to think about it too much.

Regards

MF

Its the pixies. Make sure to thank them, and just be glad you have some around who are willing to help you out. They can be mischievious, but they are basically good natured.

I'm a knitter. Every time that I have to sew up seams on an item, things seem to go smoothly. I get the project sewn. Then my yarn needle disappears. Every time!
So if there is a gnome or something in my house, it must like to sew or knit.

Missing items

Used to happen to me all the time. Especially with my zippo lighter. My friends and I took to calling it Boomerang.

I would leave it on my dresser or some other place, and it would pop off somewhere. If I was patient, it would turn up again in some weird place.

It disappeared once off my dresser when I was living in New Jersey with a friend of mine, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I waited and waited, and it never turned up.

I had moved back to Texas, and a few months later, my friend called me. He had come home and found my lighter in the middle of the kitchen floor..

Before I ever left, we'd remodeled the room next to mine, putting in a bathroom, and after I left, he gutted my room and made it a dining room, and he'd never found it either.

But there it was, in the middle of the kitchen floor, and it had green corrosion spots on it. He posted it back to me, and I've had it put away ever since.

The same thing happened to the both of us again recently. We live in the same area again, and we've been building my house. On a couple of occassions, we'd be using an item, put it down, turn back for it, and it'd be gone. We'd look all over, turn around again, and it'd be right there in plain sight. We knocked an old house down and rebuilt on the foundation, and we believe the previous owner's wife died there, so I chalked it up to her.

I had a friend whose house was haunted by an old woman who'd hung herself in the attic, and she used to take paper money left lying around and hide it in strange cubbyholes. Apparently she'd done the same thing when alive, because they'd been finding money stashed around since they'd moved in. Never a whole lot, just a few bills hidden here and there. It never left a purse of wallet, but if you left it out on a table or dresser it seems it was fair game. You could hear footsteps pacing around up there at night, along with what sounded like a rope creaking. They actually paid to move the house nearly 6 miles from the country into a lot in town, and she came right along with it.

I get this sometimes. Just recently, i tore up the house looking for my gloves; turns out they were in my pants pocket. You know, the one i had previously stuck my hands in dozens of times. @_@

They talk about people entering other dimensions.
Perhaps it happens to things as well?

Er... just to clarify, since the early 20th century science has most definately taught that matter can be created and destroyed - thanks to Einstein.

It gets converted into energy - hence bombs, power plants, the sun etc.

I wouldn't say I agreed - just that its very much what 'science teaches us'.

Also - when you search for something you have a very specific search image in your mind that you scan for through the loads of junk info your senses throw away. If you lighter is a different colour or in a different position than you are envisaging you will be unable to find it.

Its a very powerful and very frightening thing - your brain will throw away that information. It throws away so much it can't understand or feel is important.

Not impressed with the old brain

Just read an excellant article dealing with the question of why quantum particles can exist in two places simultaneously, but objects can't. The physicist postulates gravity as the reason objects stay put, but photons don't. This thread proves the poor bloke's barking up the wrong quantum tree !! Obviously small objects can spontaneously 'jump' to the next quantum level, where they are outside our dimension. Later, losing that 'push' they drop back into our dimension.

Quite obvious, really. Now if the pixies would please give me back my fave CD I'd be obliged.

jaloopa said:
Its the pixies. Make sure to thank them, and just be glad you have some around who are willing to help you out. They can be mischievious, but they are basically good natured.

The Pixies?!? You mean they stopped off from their reunion tour to hide one of my John Cale CDs? Are they going to systematically hide all the rest of my CDs so I can only listen to theirs?

(sorry, couldn't help it. I am missing a disc, though - if a caseless Paris 1919 shows up mysteriously in anybody's house, let me know!)

And if anyone finds a labradorite and onyx necklance, please send it to Leaferne Towers, postage due.

I just had some weird experiences with losing things only to have them reappear in strange and unlikely places.

About a month ago I was getting ready to leave for work and - familiar scene to us all - I couldn't find my keys. Now, I live in a railroad (or "shotgun") apartment and I need my keys to get back and forth to my room while my roommate is at home. She was there when I woke up and so I used my keys - then she left for work and I didn't need them.

However I did need to have them before I left, and though they'd been in my hot little hands earlier, they had now completely vanished. I tore up the apartment, lifting couch cushions, emptying pockets and purses, taking all the sheets off my bed, looking beneath furniture, etc., to no avail. Eventually, very late for work, I called my landlady and she had to go out and make me a spare set of keys.

When I returned from work my roommate was home and we both looked high and low for the keys. I even went across the hall and asked the super, who also helped me look in the apartment hallway.

I shower in the evenings instead of the mornings because I work out at the gym after work. So around midnight, I got my things together and prepared to have a shower. Upon pulling back the shower curtain, what do you think I found in the middle of the bathtub?

zede said:
(sorry, couldn't help it. I am missing a disc, though - if a caseless Paris 1919 shows up mysteriously in anybody's house, let me know!)

This happens to me all the time. Usually it takes about two years for the missing CDs to reappear, but they always do. Patience! (They'll reappear much sooner, though, if you go buy a new copy of the CD - either Murphy's Law or another facet of the hilarious sense of humour these faeries seem to have.)

I've lost an important legal textbook and my precious Walkman radio, searched high and low.
They may be in the back bedroom where tons of junk has been stuffed since last year but it seems unlikely as it all went in there well before they 'vanished'. That's the only option left, though. :(

yurei said:
zede said:

This happens to me all the time. Usually it takes about two years for the missing CDs to reappear, but they always do. Patience! (They'll reappear much sooner, though, if you go buy a new copy of the CD - either Murphy's Law or another facet of the hilarious sense of humour these faeries seem to have.)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I checked a used shop for it but they didn't have it. I do have all the songs on my hard drive here at work, so I'll probably just burn myself a new copy.

When yours turn up, do they turn up back in their cases, or under piles of stuff, or what?

This may be a bit OT, though, since I personally suspect a perfectly natural explanation for the case of my missing CD. I never leave discs laying around anywhere, so if somehow I did, I wouldn't remember - I'm one of those types who, when I have a routine for something, never notice the abberations from the routine. That's how I lose my keys.

Hi, I have had various "things" "items" just go missing in my house. I honestly thought it was me, then I knew it wasn't when a note book, I had been writing in, which was on my bed, "went" as I needed the ladies. No one was in the house, and I did not go anywhere else.
Looked all over, then gave up.
The next day, in the front spare bedroom, there it was spread out on the floor, and yep I HAD looked there. :oops:

zede said:
When yours turn up, do they turn up back in their cases, or under piles of stuff, or what?

This may be a bit OT, though, since I personally suspect a perfectly natural explanation for the case of my missing CD. I never leave discs laying around anywhere, so if somehow I did, I wouldn't remember - I'm one of those types who, when I have a routine for something, never notice the abberations from the routine. That's how I lose my keys.

Mine tend to show up in their cases in rather prosaic places - like back in the CD shelf I'd already scoured a million times over the course of years. One day they're just suddenly... there. I mean, if they were in weird places or under things I'd understand how I could have lost them... but they're not, they're right where they ought to have been the whole time. That's why I suspect faeries. Dementia is not as appealing. ;)

It's quite possible in a blank moment you put a CD down somewhere so unconsciously you never noticed and can't remember. I've seen other people do it and I've done it a lot.

Once my mother came out of the kitchen with a can of soup in her hand, to ask me something. Then she came out again a moment later and asked me if I'd seen the soup. It had mysteriously vanished. Both of us searched high and low and finally found it, on the bookshelf in the living room, where she had absentmindedly placed it while talking to me.

I do that all the time. I'll come in, put my keys down without noticing, realize I have to go back out and not be able to find my keys!

well on the subject of things missing still.
Whomever took my Watch and matching bracelet, took a liking to it, as I never have got it back. Everything else I usually do. I loved that set i did ;)
Odd thing was that, a silver ring, only small, I discovered on my mantelpeice. It does not belong to me, nor my daughter or suchlike, as have asked about. Tiny silver one with 3 sort of circles on the front. It doesn't look expensive, and I am not sure wether it is old either, but maybe I was given an exchange for my watch set, for the ring....well no good....it doesn't fit.....

I think I've mentioned previously about my teaspoon fairy problem. They are currently going through a returning things phase. Today I found 4 disappeared teaspoons sitting in plain sight in various places around my room. Also, this morning I was sitting in bed reading when I found the pair of tweezers I lost last week lying on my pillow, where my head had been not half an hour earlier. I'm fairly sure I would have noticed if I had been sleeping on a pair of tweezers.

sidekick said:
It doesn't look expensive, and I am not sure wether it is old either, but maybe I was given an exchange for my watch set, for the ring....well no good....it doesn't fit.....

Wear it on a chain around your neck. As long as you don't get a negative vibe off it. I'm sure they wouldn't have given it to you without good reason.

Know what, I didn't think of that. I was trying to figure out whos it was mainly, and when i found out it wasn't anyones from coming round, then just left it.
Thanx I will do that, and I don't get any negative vibes, at all from it, infact just the opposite.
If can will take a little picture and show it. Someone might know weather it looks old or not.
thanks again :D :D

Stuff dissapearing

The oddest thing I ever lost was the button of the "tab" key off my keyboard. Years ago my bro and I used to play practical jokes by "popping" each others keys off our boards and swapping them around (i.e putting the "S" key where the "P" key is etc). But that ended when he moved to France. Almost a year later my "tab" goes walkabout. Boringly I must point out that I have thought about this issue at great length (I have a lot of time on my hands!) and it's weird cause the only key you can swap a "tab" for is a "Ctrl" becuase of its size and shape.

Bored yet....?

Back