• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery Science Theater 3000

ignatiusII

Ephemeral Spectre
This was my favorite show when it was airing, and hearing a radio interview yesterday with the guys who created it reminded me of just how much I loved ( and miss ) it. What was your favorite episode, and why? ( mine was probably 'Egaah!')...

I love MST3k!

I havent seen alot of them since there is no way of that show being showed in Quebec . My favorites are Cave Dwellers and I accuse my parents.

What's the one with the magician??

Love the show, love the show, love the show. Cannot understand why a terrestial channel like channel 4 in the UK has never snapped it up as late night post-pub fodder.

I've only seen a few episodes, but I always found it very very funny indeed. I have the film on video, which also very good. I too wonder why it hasn't been snapped up by C4.

I've only seen This Island Earth.

"Sir a small shuttle has appeared shall I begin talking liking George Takei?"

Genius!

mooks out

I've also only seen the This Island Earth film, but I love it and have long hoped that someone would show the series on TV (if only Channel 4 could be distracted from their endless streams of dull reality TV and programs about sex. At least they've licenced some decent American stuff in the past). Every time the film's on I watch it ;)

This show never ran in the UK? Huh.

It was perfect late-night drinkin' fare. So what did Sci-Fi do when they acquired it? Showed it at 9AM on Saturday mornings. Idiots.

The short films were always gold. "You're hot, Mr. B. Natural!"

PUMAMAN!

If you look round on Edonkey/Emule you can pick up Divx's of some episodes. It was broadcast on theSci-fi channel but pulled because of low viewing figures (like all the other re-runs packed 'em in.....)

See also the MST3K Digital Archive Project

I loved the movie. Odd how UK TV shows the movie yet won't show the TV series...

I remember discovering this show on Comedy Central back in the early 90's and becoming completely addicted. What a great show. I was so sad when they cancelled it after its switch to the Sci-fi channel. I miss Joel and the Bots!

What a sad and ignoble end to a truly great show. After the Sci-Fi channel decided to pull the plug on the series, thousands of fans mobilized to start a letter and email writing campaign in an attempt to keep it on the air, all to no avail. According to the show's creators, while they wouldn't completely rule out ever doing the program again in some incarnation, they very much consider it part of the past, and have moved on with their respective careers. I shall forever treasure the words Crow T. Robot thus spake: KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES!

Moves should be made to put the series onto DVD - this has happened with the equally good cop spoof 'Sledgehammer!', but only because of the shows' fan base making its' interest known.

JerryB said:
Moves should be made to put the series onto DVD
Some of them are, though I've only ever seen them when I've been to the US.

I just searched Amazon.com, and here are indeed many, many MST3K DVDs ;) Amazon.com also ship DVDs (and books and CDs) internationally, so that's good too. The only problem is the Royal Mail and their "Because we're worth it" tax + customs VAT that some of them look like they'll apply for.

I often buy anime (and the odd not-available-in-UK DVD like Wierd Al's music videocs) from Amazon.com, and I've taken to buying single DVDs at a time, since that works out at $10 postage per DVD, whereas if you put 2 DVDs in an order and they go together, it's $10 postage (it's actually about $1 less than for shipping the single DVD, mysteriously), then ~$20 Royal Mail Tax too. Sometimes the multi-DVD parcels go through unnoticed though, just as an extra taunt :)

I think there are only something like 30 episodes ( out of the 172 that they produced ) available on video/DVD, the main problem being licensing fees. Apparently, after agreeing to let the show use their respective films for virtually nothing, the companies who hold the rights to the movies MST3K parodied will not allow a proper video release unless Joel, Mike & company cough-up big bucks for the rights. A pity, as some of the best episodes have never appeared on video. Supposedly, executives from Toho Co. were shown the MST3K versions of a couple of Godzilla epics and were extremely pissed ( american meaning ) stating that Toho would never, ever license the rights for a release and threatening a lawsuit if they ever did it again.

Fans should also check out The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide here. It covers, I think, all the episodes up to the move to the Sci-fi Channel.

I love this program. Have a few of the tapes. Found it after moving south.
It reminded me of home. A group of us would get together, rent some movies (anything from current releases to classics like Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, Frankenhooker) get pizza and beer, and proceed to carry one much like Joel and the robots. *sigh* Those were simpler days indeed.

I saw a few eps. in the days when it was on Saturday mornings.
Pumaman was an all-time classic peice of prime gorgonzola ... Joel and the bots were trashing it in the same way me and the missus trash films that we like to wince over. Try the original version of 13 Ghosts - it's a hoot!
*sigh*
The strange things we do for pleasure!

There was another satiricial series, introduced by Robert Vaughn which featured a particularly good micky-take on the McGuyver/A-Team style of show called something like The Liberator or some such. Wish I could remember...

Sledgehammer - great series, great laughs! Also managed to get a video of the puppet/animation series Dick Spanner - wonderfully whacky! Ren and Stimpy, Earthworm Jim, etc. etc.

Such a fund of humour and yet tv execs still jerk themselves off over crud like Big Brother and I'm a B-list Celebrity ... Get Me Back On The Telly!

Does anyone remember the BBC2 series "The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand DeBargos"?

Old film and TV footage with a totally over-the-top dailog dubbed on. It was marvellous.

I wonder if the series is available on DVD.

YES! An excellently funny series using old newsreel footage with seriously funny voice over!

I know I might get some stick for this but I admit to liking Doctor Terrible's House of Horrible.

The MST3K movie was on ITV last night at 3.05 am. Good thing I'm an insomniac as I hadn't seen it before (despite being addicted to the series when it was on the sci-fi channel) Good grief i've missed tose guys. Funniest series ever :)

Ozymandias said:
The MST3K movie was on ITV last night at 3.05 am. Good thing I'm an insomniac as I hadn't seen it before (despite being addicted to the series when it was on the sci-fi channel) Good grief i've missed tose guys. Funniest series ever :)

LOL I caught it last night too - great stuff. The comments about the see-through helmets cracked me up ;)

Emps

Emperor said:
LOL I caught it last night too - great stuff. The comments about the see-through helmets cracked me up ;)

Emps

"Don't mind me I'm just a weather balloon. Or maybe a cloud of swamp gas" :D

It sounds like an awesome programme, i'd like to see it sometime.

I never could stand the show, nor understand why people liked it. So other than "cuz it's funny" why DID people like it?

You mean you've never watched a bad film and not started taking the piss out of it? Not ever hired out crappy videos because they look crap and it'd be amusing to watch with some friends, just so that you can take the piss? That's basically what the whole point of MST3K is about - apart from the fact that you're watching others doing the piss-taking (and in a very amusing way).

JerryB said:
You mean you've never watched a bad film and not started taking the piss out of it? Not ever hired out crappy videos because they look crap and it'd be amusing to watch with some friends, just so that you can take the piss? That's basically what the whole point of MST3K is about - apart from the fact that you're watching others doing the piss-taking (and in a very amusing way).
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Back