• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery Sharks

But a quick search on google shows the sixgill shark to have quite a small dorsal set a long way back, almost at its tail. The one in that news article looked quite different to me.

Edit.. sorry I thought this was another shark photo chumpanzie had posted.

I think chumpanzie is probably closest with thresher. I thought, as it turns out wrongly, that they were too small to fit the description.

I'm rather suspicious about that picture. It looks like it's a retouched picture of a sea-lion.

What if...

When they took this photo, the shark was laid out on its side in order to show off its teeth for the camera, so the underside of the head is facing us and the dorsal fin we see is in fact the left pectoral fin pointing upwards. Maybe when the photo was developed the exposure was wrong, or the picture was indistinct in some way so the guy in charge of photography at the newspaper took it upon himself to touch it up a bit and make it look more "normal".
Just a thought.

Could be, although the tail looks to align with the dorsal without any body twist. Its a shame if it is just old school re touching, eh?

I've combined Identity of shark & Mystery Sharks, in one thread. Jolly interesting it is, too.

P_M :)

You're right. You'd think wouldn't you that you could easily track this one down but so far no go.

What's bugging me is that I think I can just about remember a shark with a fin like this.

Bioflourescent sharks!

A team of U.S. researchers has discovered a previously undescribed group of small molecule metabolites responsible for the green biofluorescence in two species of sharks. Not only is the newly-discovered chemical mechanism different from how most marine creatures glow, but it may also play other useful roles for the sharks, including helping them identify each other in the ocean and fight against microbial infections.

The species in question are the swell shark (Cephaloscyllium ventriosum) from the eastern Pacific and the chain catshark (Scyliorhinus retifer) from the western Atlantic.

Full Article incl. pictures and videos
http://www.sci-news.com/biology/new...ztH0UKZc5GDHbUtevChniPYN5jX7rT6Yn2bPjBKlGV0oE

The guy in the article says it can't be a Mako as the water is too cold but according to my shark guide, Mako's are available all around UK waters.

Back