• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery 'Spider' - Not!

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
I was chatting with a bus driver the other day, and we got around to talking about how many more wild animals are around since people aren't on the streets as much these days. This reminded him of something his wife had seen on a local online forum. Someone had discovered a strange spider or similar creature in her home – said it had even formed a nest – and was asking if anyone knew what it was.

When we stopped at the local railroad station, the driver pulled out his phone to show me the picture. It was difficult to tell the scale, since the background was mostly just a white floor with what appeared to be a track for a sliding glass door – possibly a shower – but the creature seemed to be rather large. It looked like a spider with a bifurcated abdomen, but the most unusual feature was a long, thin tail that was several times the body length. It was quite scary and repulsive, reminding me a bit of the "camel spider" pictures from Iraq some years ago. I was eager to post a description and a photo (if he could forward it) to this forum.

After my initial shock, something started to look familiar about this thing. I wasn't positive, but I thought I might know what it was. I told the driver what I thought it was, but I had to do a little research to be sure.

My research confirmed my suspicions: it was a model of the facehugger from the movie Alien.

Someone had discovered a strange spider or similar creature in her home – said it had even formed a nest – and was asking if anyone knew what it was.
Now that's impressive! A spider that can talk! You'd think it would have researched it's identity when it was on the web!

Back