• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery Surrounds Shoreline Woman's Two-Hour Disappearance

kamalktk

Antediluvian
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...reline-womans-2-hour-disappearance/ar-AAEtna2

SHORELINE, WA — One minute, she was standing on the porch of an Edmonds home. Two hours later, she woke up in a field near a gas station 2 miles away. She was barefoot and her body was covered in cuts and scrapes.
Edmonds police are asking for help from the public to solve the mystery. On July 14, a 28-year-old Shoreline woman was visiting her fiance's parents at a home along Bowdoin way in Edmonds. Her fiance saw her step out onto the porch around 12:20 a.m. When he went back a few minutes later, she was gone.

Sounds like a classic TIA.

Both my mother and I suffered multiple TIA's causing temporarily severe disorientation and / or memory impairment. Neither one of us ever wandered / ran off in response. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who's suffered a TIA-induced "memory blowout" / "brain crash" who didn't "shelter in place".

The other thing that doesn't correlate with a TIA is the woman's claim of "waking up" in the field with no idea how she got there. Such a total blackout / lost time effect isn't a factor in any TIA episode with which I'm familiar.

I'd like to know more about the situational context - the visit to the fiance's parents' home, what happened that evening, and whether any intoxicants were involved.

A local woman was found about a mile from home in some woods, she didn't know
how she got there and appeared to have been badly battered about, her husband
was arrested on I think suspicion of attempted murder but released, as it was thought
she had some sort of episode and the injuries which must have been pretty substantial
were self inflicted, she had no recollection of any of this.

Are you thinking of TLE, temporal lobe epilepsy? There are many forms and manifestations of epilepsy. Some can result in a 'fugue state', where a person might wander off and be lost or come to harm.

Agreed - a fugue state induced by a TLE or other cause would seem a better explanation.

Both my mother and I suffered multiple TIA's causing temporarily severe disorientation and / or memory impairment. Neither one of us ever wandered / ran off in response. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who's suffered a TIA-induced "memory blowout" / "brain crash" who didn't "shelter in place".

The other thing that doesn't correlate with a TIA is the woman's claim of "waking up" in the field with no idea how she got there. Such a total blackout / lost time effect isn't a factor in any TIA episode with which I'm familiar.

I'd like to know more about the situational context - the visit to the fiance's parents' home, what happened that evening, and whether any intoxicants were involved.
I suspect TIA may cover a broader range of symptoms, although I'm open to correction. My father had an episode diagnosed as a TIA and had he not been with my mother (who thought him quiet but otherwise 'OK', my father would have 'come to' in a local town, having driven there with no recollection of how he'd got there and no-one to tell him. Or where he'd parked the car come to that.

Sheesh you people, do I have to explain everything? Missing time? Winds up nearby?

nys.jpg

I remember once, when i was young, we visited my grandma, she lived near the coast, i remember my dad driving us all there and on the way we were near a cliff as i looked over as we drove past and could see ferries coming and going, i was fascinated, the sea was a beautiful blue, anyway, we got to grannies, she had a caravan on a farm, it was amazing, i couldn't stop thinking about the sea and the ferries, so, i decided to go there, i had no idea where to go or how to get there, anyway, the next thing i know i heard a mans voice, it was like i was jolted back to reality, and i was suddenly standing on the cliff looking at the ferrries, i turned to the man in the car, and he said "You are Julie, Evelyn's grandaughter arn't you?", and he offered me a lift back, to this day i do not know how i got there or how long i was gone

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...reline-womans-2-hour-disappearance/ar-AAEtna2

SHORELINE, WA — One minute, she was standing on the porch of an Edmonds home. Two hours later, she woke up in a field near a gas station 2 miles away. She was barefoot and her body was covered in cuts and scrapes.
Edmonds police are asking for help from the public to solve the mystery. On July 14, a 28-year-old Shoreline woman was visiting her fiance's parents at a home along Bowdoin way in Edmonds. Her fiance saw her step out onto the porch around 12:20 a.m. When he went back a few minutes later, she was gone.

I take it (I'm rubbish at distances)... that it isn't impossible for her to have walked the two miles in those two hours? (What I mean is, if it were impossible for her to travel that distance in the time, it would lend itself to more paranormal explanations).

"She also remembers running off into a wooded area prior to finding her way to the gas station."

It's not clear... does this mean she remembered running to the wooded area straight from her fiance's parents house, or later on?

I remember once, when i was young, we visited my grandma, she lived near the coast, i remember my dad driving us all there and on the way we were near a cliff as i looked over as we drove past and could see ferries coming and going, i was fascinated, the sea was a beautiful blue, anyway, we got to grannies, she had a caravan on a farm, it was amazing, i couldn't stop thinking about the sea and the ferries, so, i decided to go there, i had no idea where to go or how to get there, anyway, the next thing i know i heard a mans voice, it was like i was jolted back to reality, and i was suddenly standing on the cliff looking at the ferrries, i turned to the man in the car, and he said "You are Julie, Evelyn's grandaughter arn't you?", and he offered me a lift back, to this day i do not know how i got there or how long i was gone

Wow @Shady that's quite the story! So... just to be clear... you'd gone past the cliff area on the way to your granny's house, then after arriving you decided to go back to the cliff, and... you were suddenly just there? Like you willed yourself there?

How very strange. How far away from your granny's house, was this cliff, do you remember?

I do not think I willed myself there, altho it sounds like that, I just do not remember actually getting there, I remember nothing till I heard the guys voice, I think it was about a ten, fifteen minute drive back, I was lucky the guy recognised me.

It wasn't straight away that i went, i love the fact that nobody had missed me, such caring parents lol, i think i was about 11ish

Agreed - a fugue state induced by a TLE or other cause would seem a better explanation.

Which, indeed, may have played a part in the Wotton Hatch "timeslip" where Irina Barton had a strange feeling that "something was off", then felt she was in the presence of 3 men wearing 17th century garb. Inexplicably she then found herself some 5 or 6 miles away in Dorking. Problem is that her husband shared this experience so, unless we're talking about a folie à deux (as the Versailles timeslip is sometimes described), then it's harder to explain.

I take it (I'm rubbish at distances)... that it isn't impossible for her to have walked the two miles in those two hours? (What I mean is, if it were impossible for her to travel that distance in the time, it would lend itself to more paranormal explanations).

Entirely possible, it's only 1mph and that's a really slow walking speed. 2.5 - 3.5mph is about average so she could have gone a lot further in that amount of time.

You teleported there.

Doesn't this belong here? --
O 'ell! No Noel. Just no deal. It's still too soon....

Even if he is willing to reveal that Mr Blobby/The Banker and The Stig are one & the same entity.

Agreed - a fugue state induced by a TLE
Very possible. Utterly terrifying when witnessed. Perhaps symptomatically similar to possession.

You teleported there
May I propose the occasional use of the word "jaunted", as an inexact conversational substitute for the over-worked paratechnonym 'teleported' (not specifically in this case, I just mean sometimes). As a 60s/70s Britkid, "The Tomorrow People" had a massive formative influence upon me, and is an entire trope that I'm always surprised doesn't seem to register more nowadays than it does.

Agreed also, dosn't really sound like a TIA.

Sounds more in keeping with an epileptic type seizure. People can do the most odd behaviours prior to a seizure. Wandering about, opening and shutting doors etc. TIAs can be so suttle that they can at first go unnoticed.

Sheesh you people, do I have to explain everything? Missing time? Winds up nearby?

nys.jpg
Hi 'kamalktk:' Having read this Edmonds Police report - https://www.heraldnet.com/news/edmonds-police-trying-to-solve-2-hour-gap-in-womans-memory/
online, it does mention that the woman lost her sandals during her two hour AWL disappearance. Suggests that at some point - in order for her sandals to fall away, suggests that she would have been pulled along the ground backwards - with her feet dragging along the ground for them to become dislodged from both of her feet - unless someone removed them.

online, it does mention that the woman lost her sandals during her two hour AWL disappearance. Suggests that at some point - in order for her sandals to fall away, suggests that she would have been pulled along the ground backwards - with her feet dragging along the ground for them to become dislodged from both of her feet - unless someone removed them.

In that case she'd have abrasions on her feet so it'd be obvious. The sandals might have been loose and fallen off if she was stumbling along in long grass or whatever.

Her injuries seem superficial. I'm guessing she's had a more personal medical examination which ruled out sexual assault.

Reminds me of Constantinos Filippidis -

Skier who went missing from New York mountain slopes ends up six days later in California still wearing ski clothes

A firefighter who went missing from the slopes of a ski resort in New York and sparked a massive search was found six days later on the opposite side of the country, still wearing his ski suit.

Later reports say he most likely suffered a head injury, after which he seems to have hitch-hiked across the country. Whoever gave him lifts must have wondered why he was wearing a ski outfit and whether he was generally OK.

Odd ...

This other account

https://q13fox.com/2019/07/17/what-happened-to-woman-who-went-missing-for-2-hours-in-edmonds/

... states she and her fiance were leaving his parents' home together, but he'd gone back inside the house and found her gone upon returning outside.

This second news item clarifies that she had been wearing sandals, but lost them somewhere during the next roughly 1.5 hours' movements.

Another thing that strikes me as a little bit odd, is that (as reported) she told the police - "that she simply did not know what happened."
Yet, in another paragraph it mentions that she... "also remembers running off into a wooded area - before finding her way to the gas station."
After looking over the area on Google, there is a fairly large, not that wide, strip of woodland in line with her heading towards the area she found herself in. I would imagine that might be one area worth searching for the sandals?

Another thing that strikes me as a little bit odd, is that (as reported) she told the police - "that she simply did not know what happened."
Yet, in another paragraph it mentions that she... "also remembers running off into a wooded area - before finding her way to the gas station." ...

No account I've seen specifies whether the "running off" bit was associated with the starting point (fiance's parents' home) or somewhere between the starting point and the place where she was found.

Another point ... Nowhere have I seen a claim for exactly how long the fiance's return into his parents' house lasted before he came back out to the porch where she was allegedly waiting for him. The sole account addressing this point describes this time lapse as "a moment."

I have a sneaking suspicion there's more to the story leading up to her and the fiance exiting his parents' house. Based on this suspicion I further suspect this story may never yield any published follow-up.

This news story from the following day:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/edmonds-police-trying-to-solve-2-hour-gap-in-womans-memory/

... provides a map illustrating her starting and ending points that night. Here's the published map:

17744763_web1_M-Map-EDH-190718-1200x887.jpg

Edit to Add:

The large purple dot in the upper right was her starting point, and the large red dot in the lower left was where she ended up.

This article also reduces the purported distance between these points to circa 1 mile.

Last edited:
No account I've seen specifies whether the "running off" bit was associated with the starting point (fiance's parents' home) or somewhere between the starting point and the place where she was found.

Another point ... Nowhere have I seen a claim for exactly how long the fiance's return into his parents' house lasted before he came back out to the porch where she was allegedly waiting for him. The sole account addressing this point describes this time lapse as "a moment."

I have a sneaking suspicion there's more to the story leading up to her and the fiance exiting his parents' house. Based on this suspicion I further suspect this story may never yield any published follow-up.

Certainly seems to heading that way from the lack of info - but they may have their reasons I suspect!

Back