• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mythconceptions

Anglocelt

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've always enjoyed Mat Coward's "Mythconceptions" and over the years it's caused all sorts of debates in the various places I've worked. In one case, my boss wasn't amused when I told her that according to Mythconceptions all the time she'd been playing her child, at the time a toddler, classical music (from pregnancy onwards) it was unlikely to improve his intelligence. Her stiff reaction was probably borne of embarrassment, resulted in absolute denial, and reminded me of the "cognitive dissonance" theories about the millennialists, examining why people redouble their efforts despite being proved wrong (not that playing classical music is going to do anyone any harm, of course. Frankly I'd have much preferred a bit of Havergal Brian while growing up than the Frank Ifield and Cliff Richard I was subjected to).

Anyhow, I did run into a bit of a problem on Facebook recently when a FOAF (an actual named friend of one of my Facebook friends, rather than an untraceable piece of gossip down the pub, I should add!) made a comment on my friends profile about having to change her name by Deed Poll. I definitely recalled a Mythconceptions about this, saying that Deed Polls were unneccessary for people wishing to change their name in the UK and you could change your name just by giving yourself a new one and having it witnessed by a responsible person. I checked with CAB online, and it does indeed say this, so I just told my friend they technically didn't need to pay for one.

Unfortunately my FOAF who lives in Scotland and was relocating as a single parent with children, couldn't find anyone in authority to actually accept her change of name without a Deed Poll certificate, her solicitor wouldn't even be the 'responsible person' without sight of one (kind of defeating the point of the 'responsible person' legislation).

I eventually dug out the Mythconceptions concerned, FT 224 in July 2007, and Mat's source was CAB, same as mine. It appears then that while this might well be the law, the actual application of it in reality is much harder. It's probably much easier just to get a Deed Poll certificate than to get another solicitor to take action against your first solicitor for ignoring the law!

Incidentally, Mythconceptions always suggests that if you know of anything contrary to its source, you should contact FT via the letters page. However in FT 224 it reads: "If we've got this wrong and you can put us right, kindly address your letters and emails to Sir Ebenezer Knobdonkey, Editor, at Fortean Times." Has he moved on?

If anyone's interested I could scan and post an example of a Deed Poll, with the relevant names deleted, of course. ;)

It's rather an impressive document, quite archaic and elaborate.

Don't most people just do a statutory declaration? Or has the law changed since the last person i knew to do one?

Just i've known a lot of people who have changed their names, and all of them that i know about did the 'stat dec' rather than the deed poll.

Escargot sure why not!

BlackRiverFalls, thanks for that, I'd never heard of a State Declaration until you'd mentioned it so I checked http://www.adviceguide.org.uk, which says on its "Change Of Name: Families-England" page:

Letter
A letter from a responsible person, such as a GP, solicitor, minister, priest or MP, will often be enough evidence that you have changed your name. The letter should state that the person has known you in both names and that the change of name is to be used for all purposes. A letter will not be enough evidence if you are applying for a UK passport.
Public announcement
You may want to record your name change by placing an advertisement in a local or national newspaper. This should state that you have stopped using your previous name and have assumed a new one. A copy of the advertisement can then be used as evidence that you have changed your name.
Statutory declaration
For most purposes, a statutory declaration is generally accepted as evidence of your change of name.
A statutory declaration is a statement, recording your intention to abandon your old name and adopt a new one.
Preparing a statutory declaration can be complicated. If you want to prove your change of name by making a statutory declaration you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on (New window) nearest CAB.
Deed poll
A deed poll is a formal statement to prove that your name has been changed. For most people it will not be necessary to prepare a deed poll as evidence that they have changed their name. However, there may be cases when a deed poll is required, for example, when applying for a passport.
As a child or young person under 18 you can only have your change of name recorded by deed poll by a person who has parental responsibility for you. However, if you are over 16, this can only be done with your consent.
For more information about parental responsibility, see Children at the end of your relationship in Ending a relationship when you're living together or Children at the end of a civil partnership in Ending a civil partnership.
Changing your name by deed poll can be complicated. If you want to use a deed poll as evidence of change of name you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on (New window) nearest CAB.

Reading the paragraph about families, I'm suspecting that the FOAF on fcebook is running into difficulties and requires a Deed Poll because of her family circumstances, i.e. having under 18's and moving to England from Scotland where the law is slightly different anyhow, and being separated.

Under 16s seem to be an odd sort of exception, parents that change the surnames of their kids quite often do it by just changing the name they use, which is actually illegal, but people do it anyway and it's too late to do anything about it by the time it comes to light.

It gets quite strange really, anything that you need a birth certificate for after that is pretty pointless because the name on the cert isn;t the name you have and there's nothing to say that you're even the same person. Could be any bugger else of the same forename and sex that was born on the same day.

Back