• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And has been 'sin-binned' for 72hrs while we deal with the matter.

Fingers crossed some agreement can be reached.

@Analogue Boy's account has been restored to normal and we hope he comes back to use it.

There was some confusion about its status: he is on an amber warning (well, two greens = amber).

@INT21 has received an official warning for what we can only suppose was a racist post. It wasn't any kind of jokey, edgy, knowing post-modern racism--it was the the brutish old-fashioned stuff.

This takes him to a 'Red' warning, which, given that we don't do 'blue' (it would mean changing the bulb), is the last level before a ban.

Whether such a ban would be temporary or permanent we shall decide as and when necessary.

We would prefer, of course, never to have to consider this at all and hope that the spite can be shelved from now on.

We're also tired of deleting sporadic whinges about how it's not possible to speak one's mind on this board.

If more appear, this user will disappear.

The next person to introduce the subject of Greta Thunberg on a thread that has nothing to do with environmentalism will receive an immediate warning.

@AlchoPwn LIKES this post.

Alchopwn almost immediately posts this to the same thread:

Greta Thunberg has been pretty scathing about the way governments have been racing to stop covid-19 but have done nothing about the long term looming threat of climate change: Climate change or Coronavirus? Greta comments...

Alchopwn receives a GREEN WARNING (expires in three months).

I don't pretend to understand what on earth the mental process was here, but I'm not going to enter into negotiation on the matter when I could not have been clearer.

If you want to talk about politics there are hundreds of political forums out there, go fill your boots.

@maximus otter has been issued a Green Warning for taking off-topic potshots at inclusivity/diversity.

blessmycottonsocks narrowly avoided the same for picking up and running with the ball.

We don't say you're wrong and we don't say you're right; we simply say that we don't care and don't want it here.

@INT21 has been given a warning point for inappropriate content.

He was already on a Red/Final Warning. This is additional to that.

We are gathering in the Mod Isolation Pod to discuss our next step.

@INT21 We have started a PM conversation with you. Please keep any thoughts and responses to that channel rather than compounding the fault on open thread.

Frideswide

Edited for clarity

@INT21 has received a 2 month ban from today.

The internet is huge, it is a bigly place embiggened every day. There are other places where we can each discuss obsessions which are not within the scope of this place.

Frideswide

BMCS is given another warning.

As in recent Mod posts: leave your prejudices at the door, don't use this place to display them.

@blessmycottonsocks We have started a PM conversation with you. Please keep any thoughts and responses to that channel rather than compounding the fault on open thread.

@Trevp666 has been issued a green-level warning (1 point; 3 months) for posting a proscribed political item 1 day after being advised a repetition of a similar such action within the past few days would garner an official warning.

On Wednesday I wrote:

Three points occasioned by various posts this week:

1) Discussion of the media vs Dominic Cummings is definitely covered by our politics ban and not worth any of our time here. I suggest Twitter--they love this stuff on there.

2) Saying 'there's a conspiracy' without any evidence beyond vague speculation is not a get-out clause for posting political material (either from the UK or the U.S.)

3) If in doubt, why not drop us a line? We usually respond within about ten to fifteen minutes. If you simply include all the moderators in the PM, one of us will probably pick it up and respond pretty soon.

Apologies to anybody who feels hard done by, but we're erring on the side of overcaution as a result of bitter experience.

We have our first lemming: @AgProv (an otherwise decent poster--always liked the avatar), who thought that what the board needed was a 'lookalike' (it didn't) post comparing the above named individual with an SS General of especially ill repute.

Green Warning issued and I'm happy to do another few if anybody would like one.

A Red Warning has been issued to @maximus otter for posting a misleading 2 year old Twitter item about a specific politician (i.e., "politics").

(A Red Warning assigns 3 Warning Points to a member record for 12 months. Accumulation of 7 Warning Points will trigger an automatic Ban condition for so long as the Warning Points total exceeds the auto-ban threshold.)

Last edited:
The lemming stampede continues. Yes, I know lemmings don't but apparently @Coypu do.

Green warning for politics in What's Your Favourite Dinosaur.

@Sabresonic receives a green warning for managing to fit a) politics, b) mocking physical disabilities and c) mild racism in a single sentence.

Please let's not keep dragging politicians into our threads. They have no place here.

Official warnings issued to @blessmycottonsocks & @ramonmercado for dragging two threads off topic to talk about BLM protests/riots in London and elsewhere. Ramon was all terribly clever and also managed an oblique Dominic Cummings reference somewhere along the way; BMCS dropped in a few 'morons' and other slurs for good measure.

We don't care how long you have been a member here, how many posts you have made or how 'important' the issue is, the only two ways this process possibly ends are that either you desist from dredging up 'culture war' topics, or you are banned from the board.

BMCS will claim that it's all crucial to his analysis of the pandemic; Ramon will tell us that he didn't start it.

Don't trouble to write to justify your actions--messages will be deleted unread.

This place is not Twitter.

Green warning (1 point; 3 months) issued to @INT21 for invoking "political" materials and linking to a known disinformation site.

We don't care how long you have been a member here, how many posts you have made or how 'important' the issue is, the only two ways this process possibly ends are that either you desist from dredging up 'culture war' topics, or you are banned from the board.

@blessmycottonsocks receives a warning for pulling up an old thread to tell us about the BBC comedy and ethnicity.

See above.

Not too many more lives left.

@maximus otter receives a warning for treating us to a story about Black Lives Matter and his opinion on how to deal with them.

I'm not sure I have enough fingers to calculate the warning points, but if he isn't over the line, he's very close.

Edit: over the line--temporary ban (duration to be determined).

Furthermore, the 'toppling statues' thread is now locked to prevent wasps drowning in the jam jar.

Cumulative points are sufficient to trigger an automatic ban status until late next week.

@maximus otter receives a warning for treating us to a story about Black Lives Matter and his opinion on how to deal with them.

I'm not sure I have enough fingers to calculate the warning points, but if he isn't over the line, he's very close.

Furthermore, the 'toppling statues' thread is now locked to prevent wasps drowning in the jam jar.
The duration of the ban for Maximus Otter has been discussed and set at a two month ban. He is welcome back on the 10th of August. This is due to a combination of the above mentioned infringement coupled with numerous warnings and his constant sniping and attempting to push the boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back