• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nairobi 'Jesus'

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Further to this story on the front page: -

On This Day

June 11

In 1988 a 'tall, slim, swarthy man in white robes and a turban' appeared in a crowd who had gathered in the Kawangware slums of Nairobi to hear faith healer Mary Ataska. As a bright star had been observed three times in the light of day, the people recognised the man as Jesus Christ. He blessed them in Swahili before uttering a Hebrew curse and departing in a car driven by Mr Gurnam Singh. They drove to the bus terminal, where the son of God asked Mr Singh to stop the car so He could get out and 'head for heaven'. A photo of the man appeared the next day in Kenya Times.

Maitreya in Nairobi

On 11 June 1988, a man suddenly appeared before a vast crowd in Nairobi, Kenya, gathered to witness healing prayers. Instantly recognizing the tall, white-robed figure as "Jesus Christ," the crowds fell down overcome with emotion. The editor of the Swahili edition of the Kenya Times, veteran journalist Job Mutungi, witnessed the event and took some pictures. A summary of his article as it appeared in his newspaper follows.

About 6,000 worshippers at Muslim Village, Kawangware, Nairobi, believe they saw Jesus Christ, in broad daylight last week.

The scene was at the Church of Bethlehem, where Mary Sinaida Akatsa conducts miracle prayers, praying for the sick, the blind, cripples, mad people, and the barren.

Worshippers were singing Mungu ni Mwema, a popular Swahili hymn, when Mary Akatsa interjected. She announced that God had spoken to her and told her to "await a miracle because a very important guest would be coming to give her a very vital message."

Five minutes later, she asked those who were singing to stop as the messenger had arrived. "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus of Nazareth!" went the loud whispers from the crowd as they raised up their hands in divine welcome.

The tall figure of a barefooted white-robed and bearded man appeared from nowhere and stood in the middle of the crowd. He was walking slowly towards the new church building away from the tent. Mary walked with him, side by side. I stared at the stranger without blinking. Strange, sporadic light wafted on top of his turbaned head, his feet and his entire body.

In clear Swahili, which had no traces of accent, the strange man announced that the people of Kenya were blessed, especially those who had gathered at the venue that afternoon.

"We are nearing the time for the reign of heaven. But before that I shall come back and bring a bucketful of blessings for all of you," the man said.

It took the crowd nearly 20 minutes to recover after the man left the meeting in a car belonging to a Mr Gurnam Singh, who offered to give him a lift. But it will probably take Mr Singh his lifetime to recover from the shock he got two minutes later. On reaching the bus terminus, the man informed Mr Singh to stop the car. On getting out, he walked a few paces beside the road and simply vanished into thin air.

Benjamin Creme comments:

1.The man of Nairobi was Maitreya. His appearance was in keeping with the crowd’s expectations of Jesus Christ, hence his bearded face and biblical robes.

2. The "bucketful of blessings" with which Maitreya promises to return is an allusion to himself as the 'Water Carrier,' the symbol of the Aquarian Age.

3. The correct translation of the Swahili word used by Maitreya is ‘pitcher,’ not ‘bucket.’ The "strange sporadic light" emanating from Maitreya’s head and feet described by Job Mutungi are also habitually seen by those around Maitreya now.

shareintl.org

Click the linked article for pics ;)

Is Benjamin Creme still alive? I remember him being interviewed on the radio back in the nineties and he sounded pretty ancient then.

Oh, I'm sure an entire crowd of people would instantly recognise a complete stranger as Jesus... :roll:

"His appearance was in keeping with the crowd’s expectations of Jesus Christ, hence his bearded face and biblical robes."

Forgive my theological ignorance, but I never before realized that the Messiah is a willy-nilly reed in the wind whose physical appearance is dictated by the whim of the crowd. What a RELIEF it must have been to the fellow that the multitude hadn't just exited a Mickey Mouse cartoon.

And whatever happened to the promised trumpets and bands of angels descending "with a shout"? I'm disappointed.

I've always been fond of the old hillbilly preacher who taught that "when the Lord comes ag'in with his angels, this sucker's gonna be LOUD!"

It was Robert Powell on his hols......

No wonder he never has to pay for a hotel room, though being redirected to the local stable is wearing thin for him.

Benjamin Creme has been doing the rounds with thiis stuff for years - apparently he was due to appear in 1982 or thereabouts but didn't because we have to will him to emerge.. cont page 94......

Rrose_Selavy said:
"Benjamin Creme has been doing the rounds with thiis stuff for years - apparently he was due to appear in 1982 or thereabouts but didn't because we have to will him to emerge.. cont page 94......"

I first heard Benjamin Creme interviewed by Bob Larson on a Christian radio station around 1982 or 1983. (In fact, I think I taped the interview.) Larson of course argued ag'in him.

During the 1980s a lot of Christians who obviously should have known better believed that Creme was really dangerous stuff and perhaps even the False Prophet (a sort of demonic mirror image of John the Baptist) foretold in John's Revelation.

But it now all seems so limited to the 1980s. Even the "Messiah's" appearance in Nairobi is 18 years in the past.

Rrose_Selavy said:
"....we have to will him to emerge...."

Surely the orthodox Christian and Jewish view is that when the Messiah arrives it will have absolutely nothing to do with whether we are ready or not nor whether we desire it or not.

Addenda - Let me make clear that the above quote is Rrose referencing Bejamin Creme, not a statement of her own belief.

Mythopoeika said:
Oh, I'm sure an entire crowd of people would instantly recognise a complete stranger as Jesus... :roll:

I get that all the time.

Creme has been interviewed on CoasttoCoast, people complain that they cannot listen because he makes them physically ill, because he is the rep. of the antichrist. :miaow:

tonyblair11 said:
"Creme has been interviewed on CoasttoCoast, people complain that they cannot listen because he makes them physically ill, because he is the rep. of the antichrist. :miaow:"

While I doubt that Mr. Creme is a "representative of the Antichrist," and perhaps of anything else paranormal, and seems personally to be a "nice guy," his writings often leave me feeling just a trifle queasy. There's something not quite right about them. There's oftentimes a wrongness to them, in a very nearly Chestertonian sense of that word.

For what it's worth here's his Wiki entry : A useful summary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Creme

Creme says that Christ is already here on the Earth. Creme claims He materialized a physical body in the Himalayas on July 7th 1977 which is in the form of a tall Pakistani-looking man (see picture in Maitreya (Share International) article). Supposedly He usually wears a white robe and a turban. He supposedly went from the Himalayas to Pakistan and then on July 19th, 1977, He boarded an airplane to London. Reputedly, He has been living secretly in the Brick Lane neighborhood of London since July 1977, and has made some public appearances, most notably in front of a crowd of 6000 in Kenya in 1988, during which photographs were taken. Creme asserts that Maitreya, whom Creme usually refers to as Christ, will at some future date publicly declare his presence (the "Day of Declaration"). This event will be synonymous with what has been called the second coming of Christ. Alice A. Bailey in her book The Reappearance of the Christ stated that the second coming would occur "sometime after the year 2025" and that the purpose of it was so that Christ could inaugurate the New Age, i.e., the Age of Aquarius; she said that Christ would then stay on Earth for the whole approximately 2,000 year period of the Age of Aquarius. Thus the millenium will actually be a bi-millenium. This is precisely the same New Age doctrine taught by Creme, except that Creme believes it will occur sometime before 2025.

In April 1982, Creme put full page advertisements in 19 of the world's major newpapers, stating that the second coming would occur on June 21st, 1982 (the summer solsticein the Northern Hemisphere). On May 14th, 1982, he held a press conference in Los Angeles announcing the imminence of the second coming, and revealing to the world for the first time his claim that Christ is living in London. When asked at the press conference what would happen if someone tried to assassinate Christ, he said that would be impossible because Christ is invulnerable. When the second coming failed to occur on the scheduled date of June 21st, 1982, Creme said in July 1982 that "he Christ still has to be invoked" by the people of the world, and he will make himself known publicly when the people are ready for him

So all they had to do was check the Brick Lane electoral register for J Christ or similar .....Yeah right.... :roll:
-

So if he's already here, why's he going to wait until after 2025 to give us all a little surprise?

I can't imagine an old Jesus... he'd look just like his dad.

It's perhaps worth noting that many Christians who've given thought to the issue believe that the genuine Maitreya, like the genuine Mahdi, will be Jesus Christ.

Whether we regard the New Testament as a factual document or just a collection of fables, the text teaches fairly clearly that Christ's return is going to be a big store production, accompanied by a lot of crashing and banging and "with a shout" heard all around the world.

But then we have all these cults claiming that Christ actually returned in 1874 or 1914 or 1977, but that he had to sort of sneak back in. Then he had to go to ground, laying low for years or decades, until humanity was ready for him - or indeed he was ready for us. If he wants to travel he has to fork up dough for a commercial airliner ticket. If he wants to communicate with the multitudes, there's the telegraph or radio or television - "Will that be cash or credit card, Mr. Christ?"

Doesn't resonate all that well with the original game plan.

gncxx said:
"I can't imagine an old Jesus... he'd look just like his dad."

The stereotyped pictoral representation of the Father is just good old Cronos/Saturn/Father Time.

"[T]he man left the meeting in a car belonging to a Mr Gurnam Singh, who offered to give him a lift. But it will probably take Mr Singh his lifetime to recover from the shock he got two minutes later. On reaching the bus terminus, the man informed Mr Singh to stop the car. On getting out, he walked a few paces beside the road and simply vanished into thin air."

I hate to always be such a spoilsport, but if the Messiah can vanish (and presumably re-appear) at will, why does he have to hitch rides to bus stations?

It's worth nothing that according to this chart the Maitreya hasn't appeared anywhere for nearly 4 1/2 years.

According to the page, the Messiah's miraculous appearances have been "temporarily halted." So what happened? Did he run out of money? Lose his credit card? Bus fares go up? Oooh the things the churches never taught me!

A Pome

Ben Creme is a sort of amateur priest
Who sez we must all at the very least
Bow down to some guy from the Middle East -
Seemingly the same chap John called "the Beast."
Personally I'd rather be deceased [sorry]
Than partake of that particular feast.

(This post moved here from the Doppelgangers thread ... )

I'll put this here:

On 11 June 1988, Jesus reportedly appeared in Kawangware, in Nairobi. This is a photo of him. He apparently blessed the crowd in Swahili, "after which left in a car driven by one Mr. Grunam Singh. On reaching the terminus, he got out of the car and vanished into thin air."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back