• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nanotechnology

Test Finds Manufactured Nanoparticles Don't Harm Soil Ecology

The buckyballs , or fullerenes, that the scientists added to the soil did not disrupt the functions of the soil, or the microorganisms located in the soil.
by Staff Writers
West Lafayette IN (SPX) Mar 26, 2007
The first published study on the environmental impact of manufactured nanoparticles on ordinary soil showed no negative effects, which is contrary to concerns voiced by some that the microscopic particles could be harmful to organisms.
Scientists added both dry and water-based forms of manufactured fullerenes - nanosized particles also known as buckyballs - to soil. The nanoparticles didn't change how the soil and its microorganisms functioned, said Ron Turco, a Purdue University soil and environmental microbiologist.

Concerns surround the increased use of nanoparticles in everything from car bumpers, sunscreen and tennis balls to disease diagnosis and treatment. Questions have arisen about whether the microscopic materials could trigger diseases if they enter the soil or water through manufacturing processes or if medicines based on nanoparticles behave in unexpected ways in the body.

Turco's research team designed its study to test how different levels of buckyballs affect soil microorganisms, including bacteria that are responsible for breaking down organic material and producing carbon dioxide and other compounds. Results of the study are published online and in the April 15 issue of the journal Environmental Science and Technology.

The scientists collected information from soil found in farm fields, and then they mixed in buckyballs. The research results will serve as baseline data for comparison as research progresses on all types and sizes of nanomaterials, said Turco, the study's senior author.

"Fullerenes will be in the soil eventually, so it's good to know they aren't affecting soil microorganisms," he said. "Bacteria in the soil are the basis of the food chain, so you don't want to change them because then you affect everything up the food chain - plants, animals, people."

Two levels of carbon-based buckyballs were tested in soil collected from no-till plots at the Purdue University Agriculture Research and Education Center located northwest of the campus.

Dry buckyballs and buckyballs suspended in water were added to the soil in levels of one part per million parts of soil and 1,000 parts per million parts of soil. Over a six-month period, the scientists monitored the size, composition and function of the bacterial community in the soil samples.

Carbon dioxide levels in the soil, or soil respiration, the soil microbes' response to added nutrients, and enzyme activities in the soil were measured. No significant differences were found in soil containing no added nanoparticles and soil samples with either the low-level or high-level of buckyballs, the researchers reported.

If buckyballs were toxic to the soil environment, a reduction in the rate of carbon dioxide production, bacterial community activity and size, and enzyme activity would be expected, Turco said. Enzymes are produced as the bacteria degrade things such as organic matter.

"We thought we would see something negative in soil due to effects of fullerenes, especially at 1,000 parts per million," he said. "Lo and behold, much to our pleasure and surprise, our data shows no adverse effects on the soil microbiology."

Although some previous studies by other scientific groups concluded that buckyballs are toxic to microbes and, therefore, would be harmful to plants and animals if released into soil, Turco's research team doesn't believe that's the case.

"The results that have shown a negative effect from fullerenes are important and suggest a need for further investigation, but they did their studies in a purified culture," Turco said. "You can't look at the effects of manufactured nanoparticles in isolation. You have to put them in a natural environment where other things are reacting with the nanoparticles."

Naturally occurring microbes, organic matter and salts in the soil controlled the exposure level and toxicity of fullerenes, Turco said.

Purdue researchers are continuing a number of different studies on varying concentrations of nanoparticles of different sizes and made of different materials to find out if their effects vary from those found so far, he said. Nanoparticles range in size from 1 billionth to 100 billionths of a meter and can be many different shapes.

"Clearly, each manufactured nanomaterial is different so we do need to develop a better knowledge of each on a case-by-case basis," Turco said.

Buckyballs, or fullerenes, are multisided, nanosized particles that look like hollow soccer balls. The full name for the cluster of carbon atoms is buckminsterfullerene, after the American architect R. Buckminster Fuller. His design for the geodesic dome is much like the shape of Buckyballs.

First found in a meteorite in 1969, buckyballs are among three known naturally occurring pure carbon molecules. The others are graphite and diamonds. Experts say that tiny carbon-based manufactured nanotubes are 100 to 1,000 times stronger than steel. Turco and his colleagues will study nanotubes in future research.

In 1985 researchers began making buckyballs, which led to a Nobel Prize for two Rice University scientists.

The other researchers involved in the Purdue study were Larry Nies, civil engineering professor; Bruce Applegate, food science associate professor; and graduate research assistant Zhonghua Tong and research soil microbiologist Marianne Bischoff, both of the Purdue Laboratory for Soil Microbiology.

Turco is a professor in the Purdue Department of Agronomy and director of the Indiana Water Resources Research Center. All the researchers involved in this study are part of the Purdue Nanoscale Interdisciplinary Research Team.

The National Science Foundation and the Environmental Protection Agency are funding the project.

Nano

A Congressional Perspective On Nanotechnology's Past, Present And Future
27 Mar 2007

When upstate New York Republican Congressman Sherwood "Sherry" Boehlert retired last year, the U.S. Congress lost its most passionate "cheerleader for science."

In his 24 years in the House of Representatives, including the last six as chair of the House Science Committee, Boehlert engaged in numerous science policy debates and groundbreaking programs, including the establishment of America's National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) in 2000. He helped forge bipartisan support for the first U.S. government funds - $422 million - dedicated to nanoscale science and engineering research. And in his last year in Congress, Boehlert chaired several hearings on nanotechnology safety, particularly on the need to create and fund a prioritized federal nanotechnology environmental, health, and safety research plan.

What was it like to be present at the creation of the NNI? What are the promises and potential pitfalls of nanotechnology and nanomanufacturing, which many predict will enable "The Next Industrial Revolution"?

Robert Service, nanotechnology reporter at Science magazine, will interview former Congressman Boehlert about the beginnings of the NNI and about the future of this transformative technology at a Monday, April 16th, 2007, 12:30 p.m. event and live webcast at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

The event is organized by the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, a joint initiative of the Wilson Center and The Pew Charitable Trusts. Project Director David Rejeski will introduce the program, which will take place in the 6th Floor Moynihan Board Room of the Wilson Center (http://www.wilsoncenter.org/directions).

*** Webcast LIVE at http://www.wilsoncenter.org/nano ***

What: Nanotechnology's Past, Present & Future: A Congressional Perspective

Who: Sherwood Boehlert, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and former Chair, House Science Committee Robert F. Service, Correspondent, Science, Interviewer David Rejeski, Director, Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, Moderator

When: Monday, April 16th, 2007, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. (Lunch available at noon)

Where: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, 6th Floor Moynihan Board Room, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20004

###

The Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies was launched in 2005 by the Wilson Center and The Pew Charitable Trusts. It is dedicated to helping business, governments, and the public anticipate and manage the possible health and environmental implications of nanotechnology.

Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies: http://www.nanotechproject.org/

Article URL:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=65922

March/April 2007
Nanocosmetics: Buyer Beware
Is that expensive jar of skin cream on my dresser safe to use?
By Apoorva Mandavilli
The following article appears in the March/April 2007 issue of Technology Review.

There's a lovely jar of night cream that's been sitting on my dresser for a month. According to the salesperson who spent a half-hour on the phone with me extolling its virtues, the cream will dig up the gunk that's clogging my pores, soak up excess oil, and "teach" my cells to make less of it.

Sounds fantastic, doesn't it? Too bad I'm too scared to use it.

The cream, which cost me $163 for half an ounce, is made by New York City-based Bionova. The company's website makes much of its "nano tech platform," and explana­tions of its products feature incomprehensible phrases such as "restoration of the malfunctioning biological information transfer." But details in plain English of how any of this would actually work are sketchy. And the sales­woman's explanation was similarly cryptic. The cream, she informed me, has various "nano complexes" in an exact ratio that is customized for my age, my gender, and my face's precise degree of oiliness--information gleaned from a number of probing questions she asked me.

How, I asked, did I know these tiny particles weren't going to creep under my skin and wreak havoc with my body? No, she assured me, the cream uses chemicals of a regular size, just in nano amounts. "See the difference?"

Not really. Scientists have for decades been doing experiments using chemi­cals in ­nanomolar quanti­ties, which simply means that they're ­extraordinarily dilute. So how was ­Bionova's product special? ­Alexander Sepper, Bionova's vice president for ­research and development, at first echoed the sales rep's statements. "Our nanotech slightly differs from the nano­tech that's made by most companies," he said. "We are not talking about nano­particles but about nano quantities."

I still didn't understand how the product could be called nanotech if it didn't actually use nano-sized particles. Sepper seemed to agree.

"You know, I should be honest with you. In the beginning, we called them simply biocomplexes," he said. "When nanotech came and everyone started to claim nanotech, nanotech, nanotech, of course the marketing people came to us and demanded that we have to accommodate the present situation. My understanding as a scientist is it's more marketing than science." According to Sepper, revenues from the product, which is sold in upscale stores such as Barneys, went up when Bionova began calling it nanotech. But when I pushed him a bit on the use of the word in marketing the cream, he quickly backtracked. "When I said we are using nano quantities, I thought you already knew that we are using nanoparticles. We are using nano quantities of the nanoparticles."

Confused yet? So was I. And so, it seems, is nearly everyone involved in the marketing of nanotech-based products. The fact is, Bionova is not an exception. Cosmetics are among the first consumer products to make use of nanotechnology--or at least to tout its benefits--but nobody, it appears, has a handle on exactly what is in these products, or how those mystery ingredients might affect people's health.

"You've got this situation where people are putting chemicals on the skin when we know very little about [nanotechnology's] safety," says Sally Tinkle of the North Carolina-based National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, a division of the National Institutes of Health.

Check the Label

According to the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, which is run by the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, DC, nearly 400 products on the market claim to use nanotechnology, and 64 of those are cosmetics. And yet no one in the federal government is responsible for overseeing the safety of nanotechnology. "People are miniaturizing the particles, nanosizing them," says Andrew Maynard, science advisor for the Woodrow Wilson project, but he says that companies don't necessarily recognize the risks associated with the unique properties of nanoparticles.

That nanoparticles have unique properties is, of course, exactly the point of using them. When particles of some materials become extremely small, they can exhibit unusual--and interesting--physical and chemical characteristics. Gold nanoparticles, for example, are red and are much more reactive than larger chunks of the metal. Nanoparticle versions of some ingredients used in cosmetics are more stable, improve product texture, and are absorbed better.

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which have been used for decades in sunscreens, are two examples of substances that benefit from nano­technology. Normally, each material forms a thick whitish coating, but nanosizing their particles makes them translucent--and, naturally, more popular among consumers. Some cosmetics companies use other nanoparticles, such as the 60-carbon soccer-ball-shaped molecules known as fullerenes or buckyballs. Zelens, a company based in London, England, claims that fullerenes in its skin cream help to suck up free radicals and slow aging.

But here's the rub: though some nanomaterials clearly have advantages, such materials might also pose risks. Will the smaller particles penetrate the skin? Can they clog airways and trigger immune responses? Will they lodge in the body's tissues, including the brain?

The simple answer is that no one knows. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency, and other federal agencies have research programs in place that may eventually answer some questions about the toxicity and environmental impact of nanoparticles. But such research will take time and a great deal more money. Through the federal government's National Nano­technology Initiative, the United States has spent an estimated $6.5 billion on various types of nanotechnology research, but only 4 percent of last year's budget went to assessing potential risks. In the meantime, the best the FDA can do is to say it has "no evidence at present to suggest that any of the materials currently in use pose a major safety concern."

Nano Mysteries

Unlike pharmaceuticals, cosmetics don't have to pass safety tests before they are sold. Cosmetics companies are free to sell their products without such testing--at least until a problem crops up. And so far, nanoparticles used in cosmetics seem to have a clean record.

John Bailey, executive vice president for science at the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association, an industry trade group in Washington, DC, points out that sunscreens using titanium dioxide and zinc oxide nanoparticles have been used "safely and effectively by consumers for decades" and have been reviewed and approved by the FDA. But whether that record of safety can be extrapolated to other nanoparticles in other types of cosmetics is less certain. The danger is that conventional safety tests for cosmetics and other products might not pick up the special risks nanoparticles pose.

For example, NIH's Sally Tinkle has found that under certain conditions--if the skin is stretched a certain way or rubbed with enough force--nanoparticles can move below its top, dead layer. If the skin has cuts and abrasions or has been damaged in some other way, particles can get through to the layers underneath. "That's well established," says Tinkle. What happens once these particles reach the bloodstream is unclear. Some studies have found that smaller particles are cleared faster than larger ones and so are safer, but others suggest that once inside the body, nanoparticles travel through the blood, lodge in the lungs and brain, and accumulate over time, with effects that are still poorly understood.

Definitive answers to these toxicity questions may take some time to emerge. But given that nanoparticles behave differently from their larger counterparts, it makes sense to have a regulatory system that is able to recognize this size-dependent behavior. And it makes sense to provide regulatory oversight based on the unique chemistry of nanoparticles.

That kind of oversight might not be welcomed by the cosmetics industry, but without it, the entire promising field of nanotechnology could be in danger. If a safety problem is associated with a cosmetic product marketed for its nano ingredients (even if it doesn't really have any), the public perception of nanotech could be affected more generally. In Germany, there's already been one scare with a spurious nano product. In March 2006, after the "Magic Nano" spray bathroom cleaner was released, a number of people who had used it fell ill. Amid the confusion that followed, nobody, including the manufacturers, seemed to know exactly what was in the product. But the damage to nanotech's reputation had been done. "What it really highlights is the confusion about what people actually mean by the terms," says Maynard. "We need transparency in this whole area."

In Bionova's case, I'm still not sure whether the cream on my dresser contains any nanoparticles, and if it does, whether they will help or hurt me. Since the small dark-blue jar arrived, salespeople from the company have called me four times--ostensibly to check on whether I have any questions. During the first call, the sales rep told me that for the first few days of use, when the cream is opening up my pores and cleaning them out, "your skin is going to look aggravated. It's going to look itchy; it's going to look flaky."

I've yet to do more than smell the cream, and I doubt I ever will, so I won't know whether glowing skin would follow the flakiness, as the salesperson assured me. No matter how lovely the jar is or what lofty promises are made on behalf of its contents, the specter of tiny little nano-whatevers making their way through my body is enough to keep me away.

Apoorva Mandavilli is senior news editor at Nature Medicine.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/18302/

Widely Used Iron Nanoparticles Exhibit Toxic Effects On Neuronal Cells
01 Apr 2007

Researchers at UC San Diego have discovered that iron-containing nanoparticles being tested for use in several biomedical applications can be toxic to nerve cells and interfere with the formation of their signal-transmitting extensions.

"Iron is an essential nutrient for mammals and most life forms and iron oxide nanoparticles were generally assumed to be safe," said Sungho Jin, a professor of materials science at UCSD and senior author of a paper to be published in Biomaterials. The paper is currently available on the journal's website. "However, there are recent reports that this type of nanoparticle can be toxic in some cell types, and our discovery of their nano-toxicity in yet another type of cell suggests that these particles may not be as safe as we had once thought."

In their studies, the UCSD researchers used PC12 cells, a line derived from a rat pheochromocytoma. Nerve growth factor prompts PC12 cells to express a variety of neuron-specific genes and generate thin sprout-like cellular extensions called neurites, which are hundreds of times longer than the width of the cell, or up to several millimeters in length. These properties of PC12 cells have made them useful for studying the neurobiological and neurochemical properties of nerve cells.

Jin and the other co-authors of the paper, Thomas R Pisanic, II, Jennifer D. Blackwell, Veronica Shubayev, and Rita Finoñes began their laboratory experiments by coating iron oxide nanoparticles with DMSA (dimercaptosuccinic acid), a metal binding agent that polymerizes on the particles' surface. This coating keeps the particles from clumping together in an aqueous solution, and facilitates their engulfment by the PC12 cells via an inward pouching of the cell membrane called endocytosis. What happened next was a surprise.

Jin's group had initially investigated the nanoparticles for use in in vitro studies as a possible way to manipulate nerve cells remotely with magnetic force. Eventually they had hoped to conduct in vivo experiments, using nanoparticles-laden nerve cells to bridge regions of damaged neurons. However, when they added nerve growth factor to nanoparticle-laden cells in culture flasks, they observed toxic dose-dependent effects: some cells died, and many of the survivors exhibited a diminished ability to produce neurites.

In their experiments, PC12 cells that had not been exposed to magnetic nanoparticles generated three neurites in response to nerve growth factor. However, exposure to a low concentration of iron oxide nanoparticles resulted in the production of fewer than three neurites per cell in response to growth factor addition. A 10-fold increase in the concentration of nanoparticles led to the production of two neurites per cell, and a 10-fold increase of that concentration resulted in only one neurite per cell. Additionally, neurites produced in response to the growth factor in the presence of iron oxide nanoparticles were less well formed and also showed abnormal morphology and neurobiological characteristics.

The researchers also studied long protein polymers inside the PC12 cells that make up the cytoskeletal structure. They found that iron oxide nanoparticles resulted in fewer and less organized microtubules and microfilaments, protein polymers involved in cell motility and cell shape.

"It's worth noting that neither iron oxide nanoparticles alone, nor the coating material alone are overtly toxic, but combining the two to create water-soluble nanoparticles has a completely different effect," said Pisanic, who carried out the studies as a part of a Ph.D. thesis project at UCSD.

Iron oxide nanoparticles are considered promising because they are maneuverable by remote magnetic fields, and can be coated with various marker molecules to make them stick selectively to tumors and other targets within the body. The particles can also be made to carry anti-cancer drugs or radioactive materials directly to a tumor. Magnetic nanoparticles designed to attach to cancerous tissue can also be made to heat up by using a remote, alternating magnetic field, thereby selectively killing cancer cells in a process called magnetic hyperthermia.

Many researchers throughout the world are also studying the use of iron-containing nanoparticles in gene therapy, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and other medically important applications. While studies have focused primarily on the many potential uses of nanoparticles, Jin said more attention should be paid to their safety. "Our experience leads us to conclude that any analysis of the biocompatibility of nanoparticles should include not just a toxicological study of the component parts," said Pisanic, "but also an examination of the total structure as a whole."

###

University of California - San Diego

Article URL:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=66536

Nanotechnology Provides Green Path To Environmentally Sustainable Economy

James Hutchison, a University of Oregon chemist, uses DNA molecules in a novel process that holds promise for building nanoscale patterns on silicon chips and other surfaces. The experimental method saves materials and requires less water and solvent than the traditional printing - or lithography - techniques used in the deceptively resource-intensive electronics industry.
by Staff Writers
Washington DC (SPX) Apr 27, 2007
As products made with nanometer-scale materials and devices spread to more industries and markets, there is a growing opportunity and responsibility to leverage nanotechnology to reduce pollution, conserve resources and, ultimately, build a "clean" economy, advises a new report from the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies.
A "strong marriage" between nanotechnology and the principles and practices of green chemistry and green engineering "holds the key to building an environmentally sustainable society in the 21st century," concludes Green Nanotechnology: It's Easier Than You Think.

Summarizing proceedings at a national American Chemical Society symposium and four workshops held in 2006, the new report was authored by science writer Karen Schmidt for the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, an initiative of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and The Pew Charitable Trusts.

The report explores potentially beneficial links between nanotechnology - essentially, science and engineering practiced on the molecular scale - and green chemistry and engineering, which aim to minimize environmental impacts through resource-conserving and waste-eliminating improvements in processes and products. It concludes with recommendations for proactive federal policy measures to help the fast developing field of nanotechnology to "grow up" green.

The report cites examples of research progress toward using nanotechnology to accomplish environmental goals in combination with commercial or other objectives. "With greater ability to manipulate matter and tailor properties, it should be possible to make products and processes with reduced toxicity, increased durability and improved energy efficiency," according to the report.

For example, James Hutchison, a University of Oregon chemist, uses DNA molecules in a novel process that holds promise for building nanoscale patterns on silicon chips and other surfaces. The experimental method saves materials and requires less water and solvent than the traditional printing - or lithography - techniques used in the deceptively resource-intensive electronics industry. Other researchers are investigating nanoscale approaches to replace lead and other toxic materials in electronics manufacturing.

Chemist Vicki Colvin and her Rice University colleagues have discovered that 12-nanometer magnetic nanoparticles can remove better than 99 percent of the arsenic in a solution, while their counterparts at Oklahoma State University have engineered nanoscale sensors that can detect pollutants at the level of parts per billion.

Nanotechnology has opened promising new routes for making inexpensive solar cells as well as improving the performance and lowering the cost of fuel cells, eyed as the energy source for cars and trucks of the future. At the same time, work at the nanoscale is leading toward tools for removing toxic materials and cleaning up hazardous waste sites.

"Nanotechnology potentially is a 'doubly green dream.' It offers us the opportunity to make products and processes 'green' from the beginning," explained Barbara Karn, an environmental scientist who helped organize the green nanotechnology programs while with the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies. "It also allows us to substitute more environmentally-friendly chemicals, materials and manufacturing processes for older, more polluting ones."

The report defines four categories in which nanotechnology applications and environmental interests intersect:

+ Fostering new nanotechnology-enabled products and processes that are environmentally benign - or "clean and green";

+ Managing nanomaterials and their production to minimize potential environmental, health, and safety risks;

+ Using nanotechnology to clean up toxic waste site and other legacy pollution problems; and

+ Substituting green nanotechnology products for existing products that are less environmentally friendly.

"We think the United States is on track to be a global leader in green nanotech," said David Rejeski, director of the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies. "The country's research and development portfolio should be directed toward this goal. We believe green nanotechnology can not only help protect the environment but also be a source of American jobs and company profits in the future."

Looking ahead, beyond legacy environmental problems of today, the report suggests that the most effective approach to protecting the environment would be to "develop green nano policies that actively promote pollution prevention."

Ranging from developing metrics for evaluating bottom-line environmental impacts to using federal procurement to foster demand for green nanoproducts, the recommended policy steps outlined in the report would help to ensure that the $8.3 billion taxpayer investment in nanotechnology, since the U.S. National Nanotechnology Initiative was established in 2001, pays off for the country and the environment.

"We are on an unsustainable path," said Paul Anastas, director of the American Chemical Society's Green Chemistry Institute. "It is not as though nanotechnology will be an option; it is going to be essential for coming up with sustainable technologies."

Nano

Nanotube textile could make super-light armour
13:22 24 May 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Justin Mullins
Advertisement A lightweight material made from carbon nanotubes that is stronger than steel, and conducts almost as well as aluminium, has been unveiled by a start-up company in the US. The material could lead to lighter bulletproof clothing, wiring for aircraft and more efficient power-transmission lines, the company claims.

Researchers have long known that carbon nanotubes have extraordinary strength, transmit heat well and can act as semiconductors, depending on the method of construction. But these properties are of limited value in individual tubes and making bulk material with the same properties has not proved easy.

Now Nanocomp, a start-up based in New Hampshire, US, has figured out a way round the problem - announcing the development on Wednesday at Nanotech 2007, a conference in Santa Clara, US.

Longer tubes
"The trick is that our nanotubes are much longer than usual - millimetres in length rather than micrometres," says Peter Antoinette, who heads the company.

Antoinette says that using longer nanotubes allows them to bind together more effectively. Although Nanocomp has not revealed precise details of its manufacturing process, it has disclosed that the tubes are made through chemical vapour deposition, which involves condensing carbon out of a gas.

The resulting nanotubes form a kind of unwoven matting, which is treated chemically so that the tubes are aligned, giving the material has extra strength in the direction of alignment.

The company's prototype production method can make sheets roughly 1 metre by 3 metres, but it hopes to be able to make bigger sheets within a year or so. The company can also make nanotube thread by spinning nanotubes during chemical vapour deposition, instead of simply letting them settle.

Improving production
One problem ahead is how to characterise the properties of the material so that engineers can incorporate it into future designs.

David Lashmore, the company's co-founder and chief technical officer, says the textile is seven times stronger than steel of the same weight. But determining how properties such as strength and conductance will change when the properties of the nanotubes used are altered is a complex task.

Nonetheless, various organisations are eager to test the company's product. The US Army's Natick Soldier Center in Massachusetts, US, which part-funds Nanocomp, hopes to use the textile to reduce the weight of bulletproof armour and make it better at resisting heat. Antoinette also suggests that aerospace companies might reduce the weight of aircraft by replacing conventional wiring with nanotube threads.

John Hart, a nanotechnologist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, US, says the work is impressive. "It's important to scale the properties of nanotubes," he told New Scientist. "Nanocomp is the first company to produce a competitive textile and yarn that does that."

But Hart believes the company has plenty of work ahead in ramping up production to commercial levels. "They've got to go from making a few kilograms a year to many tonnes," he says. "There's a long way to go."

Related Articles

Atom-thick carbon transistor could succeed silicon
http://www.newscientisttechnology.com/article/dn11276
28 February 2007

Tangled nanowires morph water droplets
http://www.newscientisttechnology.com/article/dn11229
21 February 2007

Nanoscopic 'coaxial cable' transmits light
http://www.newscientisttechnology.com/article/dn10911
08 January 2007

Weblinks

Nanotech 2007
http://www.nsti.org/Nanotech2007/

Nanocomp
http://www.nanocomptech.com/

Natick Soldier Center
http://www.natick.army.mil/

John Hart, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
http://pergatory.mit.edu/ajhart/

www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn1192 ... rmour.html

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Practical Nanowire Devices
A way to align nanowires could lead to better sensors and flexible displays.
By Kevin Bullis

Researchers at Harvard University and the University of Hawaii have developed an easy way to align nanowires and carbon nanotubes over areas 100 times larger than is possible using existing methods. The researchers are also able to fabricate the nanowires on a number of different surfaces. The advance potentially paves the way to mass production of electronics devices based on these promising nanostructures.

The technique, based on high-volume manufacturing methods used to produce plastic bags, could make it practical to employ nanowires and carbon nanotubes for controlling pixels on large, flexible displays and for accurately detecting multiple chemicals, viruses, and biomarkers for diseases. (See "Drugstore Cancer Tests.") The results were published online this week in the journal Nature Nanotechnology.

Researchers had previously developed small-scale prototype devices based on nanowires and carbon nanotubes. But moving beyond prototypes to commercial products requires a fast and easy way to arrange the tiny structures over large areas, says Charles Lieber, professor of chemistry at Harvard. "The lack of large-scale alignment and organization strategies has forced researchers to make small chips in a one-by-one process," he says. "This is the antithesis of economical manufacturing." Whereas previous methods could arrange nanowires over areas of only about a square centimeter, Lieber's new technique works on areas of hundreds of square centimeters, and it could be used to produce many chips at once. Or it could be used to make large arrays of transistors needed to control pixels on displays.

The new technique involves blowing bubbles made of an epoxy polymer mixed with either nanowires or carbon nanotubes. The researchers pour the mixture onto a circular surface equipped with a small hole; the polymer-nanowire mixture forms a membrane over the surface. The researchers then force nitrogen gas through the hole, expanding the membrane until it forms a bubble about 25 centimeters wide and 50 centimeters tall. A metal ring stabilizes the bubble as it grows, with the polymer material stretching to become a 200-to-500-nanometer-thick film containing evenly spaced nanowires or carbon nanotubes lined up and facing in approximately the same direction. The researchers speculate that sheer forces caused by the growth of the bubble make the nanowires line up.

The resulting film can be transferred to a number of surfaces, including silicon and flexible plastic. To do this, the researchers position silicon wafers or other materials so that when the bubble inflates, the surface of the bubble presses against them.

To demonstrate the usefulness of the technique, the researchers transferred the films to silicon wafers, then used conventional techniques to deposit electronic contacts on the films. The nanowires bridged the contacts, serving as semiconducting channels for working transistors.

Lieber says that early applications could include accurate home tests for illnesses such as cancer, influenza, and sexually transmitted diseases. In such a device, a protein biomarker for prostate cancer, for example, would connect to the nanowires, changing the wires' conductivity and registering the protein's presence. Nanowires provide three-orders-of-magnitude-greater sensitivity than current tests, Lieber says. And because the nanowires directly detect the proteins by generating an electronic signal, such tests would provide results right away, making it unnecessary for researchers to wait for results to come back from the lab. What's more, tests for multiple biomarkers can easily be combined on a chip. An array of hundreds of nanowires, each chemically modified to react with a specific protein, could be used to create a highly accurate cancer test.

The nanowires could also be used in flexible displays to turn pixels on and off. Conventional high-speed transistors require fabrication temperatures that would melt the plastic substrates used in flexible displays. But nanowires can provide the same performance without the need for high temperatures.

The researchers are now studying the process to find ways of packing the nanowires closer together, which could allow for applications beyond those for sensors and displays, such as for memory. Before the process can be used for manufacturing, though, it will need to be automated, possibly in ways similar to the blown-bubble techniques now used for high-volume production of plastic bags. Lieber says that the method could be used in nanodevice manufacturing within one to two years.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/18802/

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Key Nanotech Patents Licensed
Nano Terra has acquired a massive patent portfolio covering technologies developed by Harvard's George Whitesides.

By Kevin Bullis

Print E-mail Audio » New! Listen now Download MP3 Subscribe to podcast What is this? Powered by Share » Digg this Add to del.icio.us Add to Reddit Add to Facebook Add to Newsvine Add to Connotea Add to CiteUlike Add to Furl Googlize this Add to Rojo Add to MyWeb

Cellular printing: A rubberlike stamp containing microscale features was used to create specific shapes (a square and a triangle) that control the locations and spacing of cells.
Credit: Whitesides Laboratory
Multimedia
• View images of technologies covered by the patents.

In one of the largest nanotechnology patent deals to date, a startup based in Cambridge, MA, called Nano Terra has licensed rights to more than 50 patents from Harvard University. The wide-ranging set of patents--the result of research done in the Harvard chemistry lab of George Whitesides--covers everything from techniques for designing materials that assemble themselves into microscopic lenses and data storage devices, to tools for patterning complex nanoscale circuits over large, irregularly shaped surfaces.

Nano Terra says that it will use the massive intellectual-property portfolio as the basis for a business strategy that will market its ability to quickly adapt the tools covered by the patents to create products that its clients either could not make themselves or could not make cheaply. Founded in 2005 by Whitesides and his former Harvard chemistry fellow Carmichael Roberts, Nano Terra has already signed development agreements with the Department of Defense, the German specialty chemical company Merck, and the materials giant 3M, based in St. Paul, MN.

Unlike a number of other nanotech companies, which focus on specific structures such as carbon nanotubes or nanocrystals and have developed working prototype devices, Nano Terra is focusing on supplying manufacturing techniques, says cochairman Roberts. The company's approach is also a departure from earlier Whitesides ventures, which have included a number of successful health-related companies, such as the biotechnology giant Genzyme, based in Cambridge, MA and the startup Surface Logix, based in Brighton, MA. (See "Carmichael Roberts.") Nano Terra's licenses specifically exclude biomedical applications for the related technology.

Roberts points to a few examples of technologies described by the patents that could be valuable to manufacturers. A process called contact printing, for example, uses a rubber-based stamp bearing a pattern of micro- or nanoscopic lines so small that they are invisible to the naked eye. The stamp is then inked, and the pattern is transferred to a large surface. The ink is designed to attract metal molecules, which, when deposited on the inked surface, arrange themselves into wires along the lines of ink. The contact-printing techniques could work over the large, curved surface of a windshield, embedding it with invisible wires to defrost it, Roberts says.

There are many other potential applications, Roberts says. For example, the military might be interested in developing novel coatings for windshields that keep them clear of sand. Nano Terra's technology could also be used to improve the properties of military uniforms. Indeed, the company's tools could be used to improve a wide variety of materials by altering their surfaces.

The 50-plus patent licensing agreement with Harvard is unusual in its size, says Lita Nelsen, director of the technology licensing office at MIT. The institute, she says, has "never done anything that huge." It's likely that not all the patents are breakthroughs; many simply improve on earlier work. But, she says, "George Whitesides has been very prolific."

http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/18829/

There's some light bed time reading.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Nanocurry vs. Cancer

Researchers hope that curcumin encapsulated in nanospheres will spice up clinical trials for Alzheimer's, cystic fibrosis, and cancer.
By Ganapati Mudur

In recent years, laboratory and animal studies have suggested that curcumin--the pigment that gives the Indian curry spice turmeric its bright-yellow hue--may have some power to kill tumors and clear the brain plaques that characterize Alzheimer's disease.

But because curcumin is insoluble, it mostly passes through the gut without making it into the bloodstream. While doctors in the United States, Europe, and Asia have conducted more than two-dozen clinical trials using curcumin, most have required patients to swallow up to 12 grams, or even more, of curcumin every day. That's a lot--even for the most ardent lovers of Indian food.

Now researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the University of Delhi, in India, have invented curcumin-carrying nanospheres that could far more easily slip into the bloodstream.

Call it nanocurry--a marriage of 21st-century nanotechnology with an ancient ingredient from the East. The nanospheres open up the possibility that low doses of oral curcumin could be used far more widely in clinical trials, a key step toward getting the ingredient from the spice aisle to the pharmacist's shelf.

Animal studies to determine whether nanocurcumin has any effect against pancreatic tumors in mice are expected to begin within weeks; the development of the particles was published in the Journal of Nanobiotechnology in April.

Anirban Maitra, a professor of pathology and oncology at Johns Hopkins, and his collaborators in Delhi--including his father, Amarnath Maitra, a professor of chemistry--used special polymers to synthesize tiny nanoparticles about 50 nanometers in diameter. The particles have hydrophobic interiors and hydrophilic exteriors. The hydrophobic component holds the curcumin, while the hydrophilic exteriors make the particles soluble. This way, they can pass easily from the gut to the bloodstream. Once in the blood, the curcumin leaks out as the polymers slowly degrade.

The Johns Hopkins team has already shown in laboratory experiments with pancreatic cancer cells that nanocurcumin retains its ability to activate key events that destroy tumors. What's more, early animal studies have revealed that the nanoparticles are nontoxic, the team says.

There's a big need for these little particles. Over the past five years, evidence of curcumin's clinical potential has steadily mounted. Studies in the United States, India, and elsewhere have shown that curcumin can fight tumor growth in breast, colon, ovarian, and pancreatic cancers.

Curcumin has also shown promise beyond fighting cancer: earlier this year, researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital reported that in mice, curcumin cleared and reduced plaques associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Two years ago, a University of California, Los Angeles, team generated other data suggesting that curcumin may be able to treat and prevent Alzheimer's disease. And three years ago, pediatricians at the Yale University School of Medicine showed in animal studies that curcumin can correct a defect associated with a chloride channel in cells that causes the most common form of cystic fibrosis.

"Even with existing free curcumin, we're seeing very encouraging results," says Bharat Bhushan Aggarwal, professor in the department of experimental therapeutics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and a cofounder of Curry Pharmaceuticals of Research Triangle Park, NC, which is developing curcumin-based drugs.

Over the past year, animal experiments at the Anderson center have demonstrated the efficacy of curcumin in its free form against tumors of the bladder, pancreas, ovaries, and brain.

Aggarwal and his colleagues have also tested curcumin in patients with lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, and multiple myeloma--a type of leukemia--with what he considers encouraging results. "We also know that even in high doses of up to 12 grams per day for several months, curcumin is very, very safe," Aggarwal says. In addition, his team demonstrated earlier this year that curcumin has the ability to enhance the antitumor effect of drugs used to treat pancreatic and bladder cancers.

Such promises notwithstanding, curcumin has yet to be more widely embraced by the medical community because its insoluble form demands high doses. "The single most important reason for the limited use of turmeric in human clinical trials is its poor solubility," Maitra says. Among other things, patients find the aftertaste of huge curcumin doses unbearable.

Now Maitra and his colleagues are about to begin new animal studies in which they will pit nanocurcumin against pancreatic cancer, cystic fibrosis, and Alzheimer's disease. "Nanocurcumin is expected to dramatically improve the clinical potential of this promising drug," says Maitra. And he says that someday, curcumin nanospheres could be decorated with special molecules that have an affinity for cancer cells, allowing the curcumin to home in on specific tumors.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/18849/

Nanoethics, The Journal: The Watchdog Of A New Technology?
24 Jun 2007

The field of nanotechnology is broad and has the potential to be used in a wide range of industries and fields, but the question is whether it is a good investment. Will it solve fundamental social problems that assure a better future" In an article just published in the debut issue of the journal NanoEthics entitled, "Ethics and Technology 'in the Making': An essay on the Challenge of Nanoethics," an expert discusses how nanoethicists can be among the actors who shape the meaning and materiality of an emerging technology. The first issue of NanoEthics is available online free of charge at http://www.springerlink.com/.

NanoEthics: Ethics for Technologies that Converge at the Nanoscale provides a multidisciplinary forum for exploration of ethical issues related to nanotechnology. It contains a philosophically and scientifically rigorous examination of both the ethical and societal considerations as well as the public and policy concerns inherent in nanotechnology research and development. The journal is of interest to researchers, scholars and students as well as scientific and technological policymakers and decision-makers in corporations involved in nanotechnology.

Editor-in-Chief John Weckert of the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics, part of Charles Sturt University, ANU and the University of Melbourne, said, "Not only are the impacts or likely impacts of nanotechnologies the subject matter of this journal, but so are the uncertainties about nanoethics. Nanotechnologies encourage examination, or reexamination, of some basic issues in the ethics and philosophy of technology and science. This journal will help stimulate these discussions."

###

NanoEthics will be published three times a year online and in print. The journal is available on Springer's online platform http://www.springerlink.com/ and includes Online First™, Cross Reference Linking, and Alert services. In addition, all NanoEthics authors, via the Springer Open Choice program, have the option of publishing their articles using the open access publishing model.

Springer (http://www.springer.com/) is the second-largest publisher of journals in the science, technology, and medicine (STM) sector and the largest publisher of STM books. Springer is part of Springer Science+Business Media, one of the world's leading suppliers of scientific and specialist literature. The group publishes over 1,700 journals and more than 5,500 new books a year, as well as the largest STM eBook Collection worldwide. Springer has operations in over 20 countries in Europe, the USA, and Asia, and some 5,000 employees.

The first issue of the journal can be viewed free of charge at http://www.springerlink.com/content/1871-4765

Springer

Article URL:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=74902

It sounds like good news... But can we trust them?

FDA finds no proof of harm with nanotech products
15:19 26 July 2007
NewScientist.com news service
New Scientist staff and Reuters
Advertisement The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says the rising number of cosmetics, drugs and other products made using nanotechnology do not require special regulations or labelling.

In the US, at least 300 consumer products, including sunscreen, toothpaste and shampoo are now made using nanotechnology, according to a Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars report.

The recommendations come as the agency looks into the oversight of products using particles as small as one billionth of a metre (one nanometre). Some consumer groups fear that such tiny particles could have unforeseen health impacts.

A task force within the FDA concludes that although nano-sized particles have very different properties to larger particles, there is no evidence that they pose a major safety risk at this time.

"We believe we do not have scientific evidence about nano-sized materials posing safety questions that merit being mentioned on the label," says Randall Lutter, the FDA's associate commissioner for policy and planning.

Different properties
The FDA treats products made with nanotechnology in the same way as other products – requiring companies to prove their safety and efficacy before allowing them to come to market.

However, some product categories, including cosmetics, foods and dietary supplements are not subject to FDA oversight before they are sold, which already worries some advocates. Producing them with nanotechnology adds another layer of concern.

Non-profit policy group, the International Center for Technology Assessment, is suing the FDA, calling for more oversight of nanotechnology.

"Nano means more than just tiny. It means these materials can be fundamentally different, exhibiting chemical and physical properties that are drastically different," says George Kimbrell, staff attorney at the group. "The consumer is being made the guinea pig."

The group cites studies showing that certain nanoscale particles can cause inflammatory and immune system responses in animals.

However, the FDA says it will issue guidance documents for companies using nanotechnology, including pharmaceutical firms, medical device makers and consumer products firms.

Related Articles
The great nanotech gamble
http://www.newscientisttechnology.com/a ... 526121.400
14 July 2007
Editorial: Governments dithering over nanotech safety
http://www.newscientisttechnology.com/a ... 526122.800
11 July 2007
Experts demand more research into nanotech risks
http://www.newscientisttechnology.com/article/dn11480
28 March 2007

Weblinks
Food and Drug Administration
http://www.fda.gov/
Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
http://www.wilsoncenter.org/
International Center for Technology Assessment
http://www.icta.org/template/index.cfm

www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn1235 ... ducts.html

Hopefully they will save the world from being turned into a heap of goop.

Nanomaterials: Promise or Peril?
By Robert F. Service
ScienceNOW Daily News
17 August 2007

The U.S. government has finally begun to get down to brass tacks on the tricky subject of nanotoxicology. Yesterday, federal officials released a long-awaited interim report that lays out a strategy for addressing nagging questions about the possible dangers of tiny particles that appear in many consumer goods. But although critics praise the effort as an important first step, they argue that for now the overall strategy seems uncoordinated and could leave critical questions unaddressed.
Nanotechnology--a catchall term for engineering materials sized between 1 and 100 billionths of a meter--is widely seen as having enormous scientific and commercial potential. Much of the buzz is due to the fact that nanosized particles often have different chemical, electrical, and optical properties than their bulk counterparts. More than 500 products containing nanomaterials are already on the market. And federal officials estimate that nanomaterials will balloon into a $1.4 trillion industry by 2012--that is, unless worries about health and environmental concerns scare consumers and companies away. Those concerns have been prompted by research that shows that nanomaterials can enter the body and even cells (ScienceNOW, 15 June 2006). But just how different nanoparticles will affect humans and other organisms is largely unknown.

To help find out, last year, representatives from more than two dozen federal agencies that help oversee the U.S. National Nanotechnology Initiative released a laundry list of research questions they needed addressed. But with no way to determine, say, whether it's important to study the biological effects of nanoparticles before gauging workers' exposure to them, Congress was left with little guidance as to how best to fund research in the field. The new report--prepared by a subpanel of the National Science and Technology Council--takes a first stab at setting those priorities by outlining five priority research categories, such as the effect of nanomaterials on human health and the effect on the environment.

Within each category, the report then outlines the top five research priorities. Under human health, for example, the report lists the top needs as finding ways to quantify biological exposure to nanoparticles and understanding how nanoparticles move through the body. The report's authors hope the list will help guide federal agencies in determining which internal and external research projects to fund.

"It's good to see [federal officials] making progress," says Andrew Maynard, chief scientist for the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C. However, Maynard argues that what's missing is a sense of the field's immediate versus long-term needs, as well as how the stated priorities will help manufacturers, regulators, and consumers know when nanomaterials are safe. Federal officials say they will be accepting public comments on the report until 17 September.

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/co ... 2007/817/3

Do you really believe anyone is going to trawl through all that cut and paste, it wouldn't be so bad if you had anything to add yourself.

I think I've sussed out this cut and paste news stories posting. Basically I reckon people hope that they can come across as being inteelligent, erudite or just coherent by pasting news stories, without actually having to strain themselves with an original thought.

hedgewizard1 said:
I think I've sussed out this cut and paste news stories posting. Basically I reckon people hope that they can come across as being inteelligent, erudite or just coherent by pasting news stories, without actually having to strain themselves with an original thought.
Hmmm...

Which inteelligent poster were you quoting there? :roll:

Ronson8 said:
Do you really believe anyone is going to trawl through all that cut and paste, it wouldn't be so bad if you had anything to add yourself.

THis is a thread about nano-tech , so I reckon yes, those interested will actually read it. You obviouly are not interested so why go and vent your spleen elsewhere?

hedgewizard1 said:

This is a thread where stories about nano-tech are collated. If you're not interested then dont diss it. contribute to a thread you are actually interested in and which would benefit from the input of your towering intellect.

Another article on Nano-Tech. This story deals with practical research into contolling the speed of assembly and the structures of the Nan0-Clusters which result.

WARNING
If you are not interested in Nano-Tech then you should not read the article. There is a danger that you might be infected by Nano-Memes which may result in you getting liverish.

Using life's building blocks to control nanoparticle assembly

Using DNA, the molecule that carries life’s genetic instructions, researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Brookhaven National Laboratory are studying how to control both the speed of nanoparticle assembly and the structure of its resulting nanoclusters.

Learning how to control and tailor the assembly of nanoparticles, which have dimensions on the order of billionths of a meter, could potentially lead to applications ranging from more efficient energy generation and data storage to cell-targeted systems for drug delivery.

Mathew Maye, a chemist in Brookhaven’s newly opened Center for Functional Nanomaterials, will present the latest findings in this field at the 234th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society.

“We can synthesize nanoparticles with very well controlled optical, catalytic, and magnetic properties,” Maye said. “They are usually free-flowing in solution, but for use in a functional device, they have to be organized in three dimensions, or on surfaces, in a well-controlled manner. That’s where self assembly comes into play. We want the particles to do the work themselves.”

Using optical measurements, transmission electron microscopy, and x-ray scattering at Brookhaven’s National Synchrotron Light Source, Maye and his colleagues have shown how to control the self assembly of gold nanoparticles with the assistance of various types of DNA.

Their technique takes advantage of this molecule’s natural tendency to pair up components called bases, known by the code letters A, T, G and C. The synthetic DNA used in the laboratory is capped onto individual gold nanoparticles and customized to recognize and bind to complementary DNA located on other particles. This process forms clusters, or aggregates, which contain multiple particles.

The research group previously used rigid, double-stranded DNA to speed up and slow down the speed of nanoparticle assembly. Most recently, they also perfected a method for regulating the size of the resulting particle clusters by incorporating multiple types of DNA strands.

“Self-assembly is really a frontier of nanoscience,” Maye said. “Learning how to take a solution of nanomaterials and end up with a functional device is going to be a great achievement.”

Source: Brookhaven National Laboratory

http://www.physorg.com/news107002430.html

Ramon, this started out as a thread where nanotechnology was discussed, and I read it with interest, the posters were raising some interesting points and the odd cut & paste article appeared to add something to the discussion.

A quick scroll shows that the last few pages have been made up almost entirely of cut and paste articles, it's hard on the eye with the small typeface and even though I'm interested in the subject, I have been put off reading this thread because of what it's become.

I guess when I arrived here, the discussion had already petered out. I dont think I can do much about the size of the type (or can I?). But as links often die, I think its better to have the full article here. It can always be printed off if someone is really interested.

I thought the article in question was interesting because it dealt with regulation, there are fears both valid and irrational regarding Nano-Tech research.

Hopefully, discussion of NT will now kick off. This id the appropriate forum for it, New Science.

Just had a look. My first post on the thread was 28-09-2005, it had more or less become C&Ps by June 2004. So I'm not the cause, I guess I just went with the trend.

The point I didn't make very well, and that others have been making in different ways, is that the cut and paste articles are probably very interesting, but there doesn't seem to be any accompanying attempt to pick out a point from the article or ask a question that might spark off the discussion again.

Fizz32 said:
The point I didn't make very well, and that others have been making in different ways, is that the cut and paste articles are probably very interesting, but there doesn't seem to be any accompanying attempt to pick out a point from the article or ask a question that might spark off the discussion again.

As I wrote, thats the way things stood when I started posting on the thread. Your comment was constructive, but I really dont think the other 2 (given the tone of their comments) were interested in debate.

Anyway, what do you think? Do we need safeguards of a positively paranoid level on the use and development of NT? Are we giving into the anti-tech back to knitting your underwear mob if we do so? Or is it just sensible caution, given the tendency of scientists and industrialists to cut corners?

I will come back to you on this, Ramon, I'm just catching up with some reading first... ;)

Fizz32 said:
I will come back to you on this, Ramon, I'm just catching up with some reading first... ;)

Heh, Heh! Actually I get more scared of Nano-Tech from SF rather than from anything I've read in the Science press.

It would be interesting to have a stock list of nanocompanies and other businesses that are beginning to utilize nanotech. It would be nice to jump on board now when the share prices are low before it is virtually involved in every product we use on a daily basis. :twisted:

tonyblair11 said:
It would be interesting to have a stock list of nanocompanies and other businesses that are beginning to utilize nanotech.
How would I spot a nanocompany? I could be sitting on half-a-dozen right now, for all I know.

Peripart said:
tonyblair11 said:
It would be interesting to have a stock list of nanocompanies and other businesses that are beginning to utilize nanotech.
How would I spot a nanocompany? I could be sitting on half-a-dozen right now, for all I know.

A patch of grey goo stuck to the arse of your trousers when you get up? ;)

Back