• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

NASA UFO Team Public Meeting

SimonBurchell

Justified & Ancient
Just posted on the BBC, currently live news feed:

NASA UFO team holds public meeting ahead of report

Is the truth out there?

Do aliens exist? It’s a question that’s been asked by millions of people for thousands of years. Are we about to get a bit closer to the answer?

Maybe.

Last year Nasa set up a panel to look at unidentified anomalous phenomena, which it defies as "observations of events in the sky that cannot be identified as aircraft or known natural phenomena from a scientific perspective”.

Today, they are holding the first ever public meeting for final deliberations on their findings before their report is released later in the year.

1. Nasa is holding its first public meeting on its study of UFOs, before a report on its findings is released
  2. The panel set up last year has been looking at data on unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP)
  3. UAP is defined by Nasa as "observations of events in the sky that cannot be identified as aircraft or known natural phenomena from a scientific perspective"
  4. Nasa's study is separate from the Pentagon's investigation into unidentified aerial phenomena, which has been studied by US intelligence officials

Last edited:
A related article from The Independent:

NASA holds first public meeting about sightings of UFOs

Nasa has convened a public meeting to discuss sightings of unexplained phenomena in the sky.

The space agency has convened a panel to examine sightings of what it calls UAPs, or unidentified aerial phenomena, which many refer to as UFOs.

Now the group has given its first public discussion, ahead of a report due to be published later this year.

As a note, the live feed noted the updating of the term UAP to Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena, to widen the scope to include both aquatic and space phenomena.

The presenters showed the GOFAST clip as an example of apparent motion caused by parallax effects. According to their calculations, the speed of this object was only about 40mph, as opposed to the apparent extreme velocity seen in the clip. I note that this agrees with Mick West's analysis over at Metabunk, although he may not have been the first one to come up with it.

Astronaut Scott Kelly gave a few examples of misidentifications he has been involved with; one was a rogue bolt floating in the Space Shuttle cargo bay, which turned out to be the ISS 40 miles away; and a mysterious balloon seen off the coast of Virginia, which turned out to be a Bart Simpson balloon. One notes that this is the same general location where the notorious Batman balloon UAP was observed.

My opinion on this situation is that there a lot of stuff “ out there “ as was mentioned in the meeting, and UFO reports are only increasing, but we will lose our our jobs if we say the world “ extraterrestrial “.

It seems this is the corporate answer for NASA “ we need to organize the data “.

This meeting was another wasted chance for real progress.

This is 100% what is going on:

... in all seriousness, looking forward to further disclosures.

Nick Pope on Sky News this very minute (20:46) praising the NASA public initiative!

With respect, I didn't see any disclosures, just a few anecdotes which showed how unreliable witnesses are, and promises to set up new detection systems.
I haven't watched it yet!

The presenters showed the GOFAST clip as an example of apparent motion caused by parallax effects. According to their calculations, the speed of this object was only about 40mph, as opposed to the apparent extreme velocity seen in the clip. I note that this agrees with Mick West's analysis over at Metabunk, although he may not have been the first one to come up with it.

Astronaut Scott Kelly gave a few examples of misidentifications he has been involved with; one was a rogue bolt floating in the Space Shuttle cargo bay, which turned out to be the ISS 40 miles away; and a mysterious balloon seen off the coast of Virginia, which turned out to be a Bart Simpson balloon. One notes that this is the same general location where the notorious Batman balloon UAP was observed.
I remember I read this explanation very early on during the whole Tic-tac flap (possibly Metabunk). The big mystery is why the US military wanted to perpetuate the UFO myth as the evidently must have known these where all down to parallex and the only answer I can come up with is "disinformation" and the advent of hypersonic missiles...?

I blame the 'disinformation' on the so-called 'invisible college', a group of UFO proponents in the US military who think that any evidence is good evidence, even when it can be explained. They really, really want it to be aliens.

After all, the GOFAST video clip may show a small object, about a metre long, flying approximately with the wind; but it is still unidentified. Was it a balloon, a bird, a drone, or a tiny UFO?

In 1952 the “ ultimate “ UFO study was started called Project Blue Book.

More than 12,000 reports were reviewed coming down to a few as unexplainable.

Jump to 2023 and NASA is doing the same “crap “ over again calling for more organized data and more data collection.

It seems the government has 75 years of data, eye witnesses, and video recordings.

The government knows what is happening even though the government claims they don’t !

No, 'the government' patently has no clue. Don't forget there are other countries than the US. Why would the US government 'know what is happening' when none of the others do?

The US has only 5% of the population and 5% of the land area of the Earth. They should have only 5% of the knowledge.

No, 'the government' patently has no clue. Don't forget there are other countries than the US. Why would the US government 'know what is happening' when none of the others do?

The US has only 5% of the population and 5% of the land area of the Earth. They should have only 5% of the knowledge.
But the US has 31.5% of global wealth, so perhaps 31.5% of global knowledge to match?

Yeah. And how many UAPs have been observed by NASA space probes and telescopes?
(answer- none).

I've met a lot of rich people. Trust me: there is no correlation between wealth and knowledge.

But knowledge doesn't work the same way as population, land area, or even money. You can share some of the things you know with me and it doesn't decrease your knowledge at all.

The big problem with these kinds of inquiries into UFOs (assuming they are serious and not being staged by people who know some secret truth) is that everyone comes to them with preconceived ideas. You believe the strangest cases are either mundane occurrences, secret aircraft, or some kind of alien/transdimensional/time traveling vehicles, and seek confirmation of the same. Public opinion is even less nuanced.

What we call UFOs/UAPs are likely a number of different types of phenomena: many explainable as mundane events, some probably very odd and due to factors not fully understood, and some - maybe - due to something truly spectacular and wondrous. The way to investigate is to first compile as many first-hand contemporary accounts as possible, including existing records going back to the 1940s, and then:
  1. Put them into groups based on common traits.
  2. Try to find simple explanations for each group, but look out for elements that defy those explanations.
  3. Hypothesize possible explanations (even partial ones) for the cases that still seem "unexplained".
  4. Research and test those hypotheses.
  5. Repeat as necessary.
I doubt we'll ever have this.

I prefer Avi Loeb's solution. Build a sky-facing system of cameras, designed to record any intruders. We do already have a small-scale system of sky-facing cameras, operated by various meteor-watch groups; additionally there are 'permanently-on' security cams, doorbell cams and dashcams. These are quite successful at finding meteors, and often observe weird shapes in the sky caused by rocket launches, airplane fuel dumps and so on. They do not find many unexplained UAPs, but that may change as numbers increase.

This is an almost inevitable consequence of the increasing ubiquity of camera recording devices - before long cameras will be almost everywhere, and record almost everything; Charlie Stross reckons people will start recording their everyday experiences, like police bodycams, as a matter of course. There will no doubt be issues of privacy involved, but if the police can do it, so can the public. If there are cameras everywhere the chances that UAPs will go unrecorded will decrease significantly.

I suspect that the result of this will be a large number of UAP clips to examine, and if possible explain; some of these clips will no doubt be fakes, but hopefully these could be eliminated by cross-checking against other sources. Mick West and his crew have been very good at disentangling the evidence in various UAP clips from the US Navy and elsewhere - once we have good video of UAPs we may be able to understand exactly what is going on.

NASA replied that they were sad that there 16 member panel received online harassment but did not specify.

In my opinion NASA only increased the stigma of UFO/UAPs by saying that they lacked better data and information.

This is being going on for 75 years !

In my opinion NASA only increased the stigma of UFO/UAPs by saying that they lacked better data and information.

why isn't that true? more of the same aren't better data, just more data.

I don't get why what they said can't be true?

In some cases it must be true that the US military has unreleased data. At the very least, they know exactly when GIMBAL and GOFAST were filmed, and they know what the pilots saw when they shot down the recent (unidentified but non-Chinese) balloons.

If we had all the data in these cases we might be able to determine exactly what the pilots saw.

I guess that NASA has never talked to the 54 year old organization MUFON that has thousands of organized data. ?

I guess that NASA has never talked to the 54 year old organization MUFON that has thousands of organized data. ?

but if it isn't better data - different in other words - then it isn't er... better data.

NASA claims it is releasing a second UFO report to the public before the end of August claiming the public needs more information about UFOs as interpreted by NASA.

The first report followed the ideas of the Pentagon of lots of bad data and absolutely no proof of aliens.

This is very strange, a second report ?

September 14
14:00 UTC
10:00 EDT
September 15
AEST 00:00

NASA will release its study of UFOs.

Since this study only used unclassified information, I don’t expect too much.

Let me guess the result, there are no UFOs !

Last edited:
Reactions: BS3
After almost a year and $100,000 dollars spent, NASA reports there is nothing extraterrestrial going on.

NASA says past data was not collected scientifically and a scientific way of collecting UAPs data is needed.

What a waste of $100,000 dollars ! !

Full report here.
https://science.nasa.gov/science-pi...P Independent Study Team - Final Report_0.pdf

There are a few anomalies they haven't identified yet, (like the Mosul Sphere, which I think is some kind of anti-drone balloon).
smartselect_20230914-162027_samsung-notes-jpg.62572

-----------------

But they do agree with Mick West's analysis of the GoFast video, which is probably a small object moving with the wind, so probably a bird or balloon.
smartselect_20230914-163424_samsung-notes-jpg.62588

...we find the object moved about 390 meters during this 22-second interval, which corresponds to an average speed of 40 mph.

--------------
A conclusion of sorts:
1694701396584-png.62571

and a recommendation for action
smartselect_20230914-162526_samsung-notes-jpg.62585

Back