NASA Wants To Pay You To Isolate On Fake Mars For Eight Months

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
lf life under house arrest lockdown seems inadequately restrictive to you, here’s a job vacancy that should satisfy your deepest desire for confinement:

“The successful applicants will spent eight months in isolation with a small international crew in Moscow, Russia. The aim of this “analog mission” is to help NASA learn more about the physical and psychological impact that confinement and isolation has on humans. The research conducted during this time will include performing robotic operations as well as various tasks using virtual reality.

The idea is to use this information to prepare for Artemis exploration missions to the Moon as well as future missions to Mars, which would last for an extended period of time. Participants will be paid for their time in isolation in Russia at different levels, depending upon whether or not they are already associated with NASA.

Here are the requirements:

• U.S. citizenship
  • Between the ages of 30-55
  • Proficient in both Russian and English languages.
  • Have a M.S., PhD., M.D. or completion of military officer training. (Though participants with a Bachelor’s degree and other certain qualifications—e.g., relevant additional education, military, or professional experience—may be considered as well.) “

https://lifehacker.com/nasa-wants-to-pay-you-to-isolate-on-fake-mars-for-8-mon-1843598007

maximus otter

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
lf life under house arrest lockdown seems inadequately restrictive to you, here’s a job vacancy that should satisfy your deepest desire for confinement:

“The successful applicants will spent eight months in isolation with a small international crew in Moscow, Russia. The aim of this “analog mission” is to help NASA learn more about the physical and psychological impact that confinement and isolation has on humans. The research conducted during this time will include performing robotic operations as well as various tasks using virtual reality.

The idea is to use this information to prepare for Artemis exploration missions to the Moon as well as future missions to Mars, which would last for an extended period of time. Participants will be paid for their time in isolation in Russia at different levels, depending upon whether or not they are already associated with NASA.

Here are the requirements:

• U.S. citizenship
  • Between the ages of 30-55
  • Proficient in both Russian and English languages.
  • Have a M.S., PhD., M.D. or completion of military officer training. (Though participants with a Bachelor’s degree and other certain qualifications—e.g., relevant additional education, military, or professional experience—may be considered as well.) “

https://lifehacker.com/nasa-wants-to-pay-you-to-isolate-on-fake-mars-for-8-mon-1843598007

maximus otter
Bugger, I only fail on one criterion. And after an eternity four months cooped up with my in-laws, I'd pay them for the privilege.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
It wouldn't work for all autistics but I wonder if they are trying us out for this?

Roland Deschain

All things serve the beam
Reaction score
Have a M.S., PhD., M.D. or completion of military officer training. (Though participants with a Bachelor’s degree and other certain qualifications—e.g., relevant additional education, military, or professional experience—may be considered as well.)
I’m guessing the military officer is there to ensure the group meet mission objectives and stop the boffins going down interesting rabbit holes when problem solving. If that’s the basis (because knowing which knife and fork to use at a regimental dinner and how to wear a Sam Browne don’t seem overly valuable in space) then a businessman or tech project manager would seem equally suitable.

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
I’m guessing the military officer is there to ensure the group meet mission objectives and stop the boffins going down interesting rabbit holes when problem solving. If that’s the basis (because knowing which knife and fork to use at a regimental dinner and how to wear a Sam Browne don’t seem overly valuable in space) then a businessman or tech project manager would seem equally suitable.
Ah yes but when the big nasty space alien is running around the habitat I would rather have a trained military officer with me than Brian who got an NVQ in Marketing Management from Leeds Polytehcnic back in the day.

Last edited:

Roland Deschain

All things serve the beam
Reaction score
Ah yes but when the big nasty space alien is running around the habitat I would rather have a trained military officer with me than Brian who got an NVQ in Marketing Management from Leeds Polytehcnic back in the day.
My money is on Ripley not the Marines!

Actually now I’ve thought about this I think we need Simon Pegg to check this out. I can see him as Brian from marketing.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't qualify in any of those criteria.
Although, I'm pretty sure I'd be mentally rock-solid if I was isolated in a Mars simulation. Perhaps even on Mars, I don't know.
You'd drive all the others nuts though:D