Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hasnt anyone in that street an axe?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Hampshire teenager 'used homemade bomb in fence row'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11517938

A Hampshire teenager used an improvised explosive device (IED) similar to those seen in Iraq and Afghanistan to blow up a neighbour's car, a court has heard.

Robert White, 19, is accused of placing the bomb by a car owned by neighbours of his aunt and uncle in Bishopstoke.

A row had previously broken out between the aunt and uncle and the neighbours over a broken fence, jurors heard.

At Southampton Crown Court, Mr White denies causing an explosion likely to endanger life.

The explosion sent shrapnel more than 30m (98ft) and caused substantial damage to the Vauxhall Vectra, the court heard.
Fireworks found

Stephen Parish, prosecuting, told the court that Mr White, of Truro Rise, Bishopstoke, near Southampton, had told friends that he planted the bomb because a neighbour had been "harassing" his uncle.

The argument was between Mr White's aunt and uncle, John and Jacqueline Hallett, and their neighbours Yvonne West and Sean Konczak, although Mr White's relatives had nothing to do with the bomb, the court heard.

Mr White is accused of creating the homemade bomb.

Jurors heard that he had handed himself into police and that a subsequent search of his house found fireworks, including a Proton Bomb, a disc saw, pipes and a metal press found to have been used on the actual bomb.

Mr White was also a registered shotgun keeper, the court heard.

The case was adjourned until Tuesday.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'd say White's neighbours got off lightly. :shock:

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Over the years, I've had a few neighbours that I wouldn't have minded doing that to them!!!!!!! :devil:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
lol i had some chavs down the street like that once, on the other side and about 10 houses down.

Their attic window was open a lot, and I often wonder if it was possible to get a rocket propelled grenade that would fly true enough to be fired from my attic window into theirs :twisted:

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
M'mm!!!!

A few times I wondered about a pipe bomb, lobbed through an open window, or taped under their, (untaxed, uninsured & unMOT'ed), car.

I can also remember a particlarly obnoxious boss, who DID have some air/sea rescue smoke flares taped to the wheel arch silencer of his Ford Cortina, (that dates me!). The police pulled him in just up the road & surprise surprise, he was over the drink drive limit. :D

He remained obnoxious however & considered that he had been set up & was no way at fault. :gaga:

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/th ... in-trenton

Parents: Dying Girl, 7, Taunted by Neighbors in Trenton

Updated: Friday, 15 Oct 2010, 3:26 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 07 Oct 2010, 11:56 PM EDT

Trenton MI

myFOXDetroit.com Staff - Her family says 7-year-old Kathleen Edward is in the final stages of a degenerative brain disorder diagnosed as Huntington's Disease - the same disease which killed her mother, Laura Edward, when she was only 24.

Neighbors Jennifer and Scott Petkov, who have been feuding with the family, admitted to posting grim depictions of Laura and Kathleen on Facebook. One photo depicts Laura in the arms of the grim reaper, while the other features Kathleen's face as part of a "skull and crossbone."

The couple hitched a coffin to a pick-up truck in front of the house, which they say is nothing more than a halloween decoration.

The big question: why would someone do this? Jennifer Petkov says "because it burns Rebecca Rose's ass raw." Police tell Ron Savage they have been called to this street before, dealing with long-standing "family-feud" issues.

A member of Kathleen's family says the bad blood started about two-years ago after the two families had a falling out over a birthday party at the Rose house. At the party, kids were using a "bounce-house" and playing games in the front yard. The source says that Jennifer Petkov texted someone in the Rose family, asking if her kids could come to the event. A response to the text did not come quickly enough and it angered Jennifer. According to the Rose family, she's been harassing them ever since.

A rally for Kathleen Edward has been planned for Saturday, Oct. 23 from 3 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at Elizabeth Park in Trenton. Search the terms "We Love You Kathleen" on Facebook or CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION.

The invitation reads: "She has been tormented by sadistic neighbors. Please come and join us in showing Kathleen there are good people that care."

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Ah, Autumn! And that distinctive smell of smoke as people collect and burn the fallen leaves...

And a woman yelling down the street

"Oi! I've got my washing out!"

(Happened here, 30 minutes ago... 8) )

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
rynner2 said:
Ah, Autumn! And that distinctive smell of smoke as people collect and burn the fallen leaves...

And a woman yelling down the street

"Oi! I've got my washing out!"

(Happened here, 30 minutes ago... 8) )
A lot of councils say that bonfires should be after dusk.

Having said that, I can remember households, where washing hung on the line until it was requirerd............

You just couldn't win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
At last...

Towering 35ft trees given the chop after being left to grow out of control for 20 years
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 2:24 AM on 5th November 2010

A man who left long-suffering neighbours in the dark by growing giant 35ft trees in his front garden has finally given them the chop.

Stubborn David Alvand, 66, enraged his neighbours by filling his front garden with the enormous Leylandii trees.

He planted 16 in his front garden and they soon completely covered his semi-detached home as he refused to prune them - for 20 years.

Dozens of furious neighbours complained to the council after the trees blocked out the sun and obscured their view.

But now Mr Alvand has finally caved in employing a gardener to hack the trees back to a mere 6ft - a job which took just one hour.

But he continued to enrage neighbours by refusing to clear the cuttings which are piled up in his garden.

Relieved Roger Coath, who lives immediately next door to Alvand, said his property was now 'finally out of the shade'.

He said: 'I'm just relieved and pleased that they're down. He did a great job.
'I hadn't realised how dark it was in the house until they were gone. We've noticed a real difference.'

Another resident, Anne Brownlow, said the trees, now 6ft high, were in keeping with the rest of gardens on the street.
She added: 'I'm absolutely thrilled they're down. It's about time too. we just want the wood removed now.'

Mr Alvand refused to comment, but speaking earlier, said: 'I do not want to talk about this. This is my land and they are my trees.'

A spokesman for Plymouth City Council said: 'Mr Alvand cut the trees himself and they are now under two metres in height.
'The neighbour who made the complaint is satisfied with this and we will be writing to both parties to confirm that the complaint has now been closed.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

jeff544

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
There are some true horror stories here. The thing that makes this problem so bad is the feeling that there is nowhere to turn. Past experience shows that you need to contact the correct council department for your particular complaint, - for noise it is usually environmental health. Be persistant but reasonable. KEEP A DIARY if that is what is recommended, and if the police are called get a call number from them. Our small community discovered to our horror that the dozens of calls (some of them 999) made to the police over a long period of time about the goings on at a local pub could not be considered when they were applying for extended hours, more music etc, because no numbers were issued, because we did not ask for them.
I am not surprised at the amount of house moves because of problem neighbours - in fact i dare say it is higher - many people do not reveal the problem, because apparently there can be comeback about it after you have moved (if it is privately owned)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
At first this reads like Strange Crimes or Stupid Rules (both of which apply), but ultimately it's another un-neighbourly dispute:

Cautioned for pruning his next door neighbour's honeysuckle... and all because he didn't return the clippings
By Chris Brooke
Last updated at 7:51 AM on 8th November 2010

It is a fast-growing plant better known for leading to the odd neighbourly quarrel than to a criminal record.

But Stephen West was astonished to find himself on the wrong side of the law after he pruned a honeysuckle overhanging from next door and threw away the cuttings.

The 54-year-old electrician received a police caution - and a criminal record - after a Police Community Support Officer came to question him about the ‘theft’ when his neighbour complained. :shock:

He was told it was perfectly legal to snip the parts of plant on his side of the boundary wall behind his flat in Bridlington, East Yorkshire, but that he had broken the law by disposing of them in his bin instead of returning them to the owner. :roll:

The PCSO then told him he faced prosecution unless he accepted a caution. Mr West - who was also told he would have to give fingerprints - reluctantly signed the documentation and now has a criminal record for the first time in his life. :(

He said he trimmed the plant in August and received an initial visit from the PCSO a month later.
He said: ‘When it grows over the wall I trim it back. I didn’t know I was doing anything wrong and told the officer that.’
The officer returned on October 9 to tell him he would receive a caution ‘in lieu of prosecution’. Under civil law, Mr West should have returned the cuttings or asked permission to dispose of them.

He said he agreed to the caution ‘because I’ve got better things to do with my time than take on the law’.

Mr West, a bachelor who has lived above a hairdresser’s salon for 25 years, said: ‘The caution is for not returning the pruned branches to the lawful owner.
'I want people to realise the absurdity of the law, the waste of police time and the stupidity of my neighbour.’

The incident followed a long-running row with neighbour Michael Lawrence over access to the back of their properties.
Mr Lawrence, who runs an antique shop, owns part of the yard and claims Mr West has no right to park his car there or ‘drag his bins’ across his land.

The row led to relations between the men, who were once friends, collapsing and Mr Lawrence reporting his neighbour to the police. Mr West said he had received eight visits from PCSOs in the past year over ‘trivial’ complaints.

Mr Lawrence, who says he is in his 70s, described Mr West as ‘aggressive’ to him and ‘thuggish’. He added: ‘There’s a lot more to this than the honeysuckle.’
He said his wife, June, had seen Mr West lean over and chop back branches on his side of the wall.

Humberside Police confirmed there had been allegations of harassment, assault and theft, one involving ‘theft of part of a honeysuckle plant’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z14fzBKzBW

'Under civil law, Mr West should have returned the cuttings or asked permission to dispose of them.' How many people know that?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I knew that. It's one of those 'Did you know..?' spacefillers that come up regularly in newspaper and magazine columns, along with the one about pregnant women peeing in policemen's helmets.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
escargot1 said:
I knew that. It's one of those 'Did you know..?' spacefillers that come up regularly in newspaper and magazine columns...
And I thought your extensive legal knowledge came from years of dedicated study. But no, you picked it up from a pile of newspaper clippings...! ;)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I can remember first reading about the clippings problem in something like Weekend or Titbits back in the early 70s.

In those days, as Esther Rantzen discovered, the legal profession guarded their knowledge jealously. If you wanted advice, you paid for it. Solicitors were not enthusiastic about the idea of lay people knowing what was what without coughing up first. ;)

So while in 2010 we're bombarded with free consumer and legal advice through the media, years ago all that ordinary people hadwithout paying were magazine and newspaper columns.

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
Reaction score
That's all very well but tell us more about pregnant women peeing in policeman's helmets......

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Heckler20 said:
That's all very well but tell us more about pregnant women peeing in policeman's helmets......
I think there's a thread on it somewhere! 8)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Vandal who waged campaign for years finally caught by CCTV throwing flour and eggs at cars... and it's the leader of the local Neighbourhood Watch
By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 3:50 AM on 8th December 2010

Plagued by years of petty vandalism, a group of neighbours decided enough was enough.
They clubbed together to buy a CCTV system and waited to gather evidence of crimes committed by what they thought were local yobs.
Sure enough, two cars were soon spattered with a mixture of flour and eggs and the cameras revealed the culprit.
Not some teenage hoodie but 63-year-old grandmother Jennifer Bibby, the Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator, a regular churchgoer and a police sergeant’s widow. :shock:

Confronted with the evidence of her actions, Mrs Bibby was arrested and accepted a caution for causing criminal damage.
She has since sent a humiliating letter of apology to her victims but remains persona non grata in Nursery Road, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire.

Beautician Clare Leverton, 44, a mother of two whose black BMW convertible was one of those targeted by Mrs Bibby, said: ‘We were all in shock when we saw the CCTV footage because no one expected Jennifer to be responsible.’ Relations in the area soured several years ago after Miss Leverton claimed ownership of a piece of land next to her three-bedroom end-of-terrace home.
The neighbourhood was effectively split into two camps after some residents signed a petition of complaint but Miss Leverton insisted it had been obtained legally under the Land Registration Act as she had maintained it for 12 years.

Some homeowners then began finding rubbish dumped on their driveways.
Miss Leverton said she had twice had pet food thrown through her window and was visited by the RSPCA following an unfounded complaint about how she cared for her dog.

She and some other neighbours raised £1,000 to buy four motion-activated CCTV cameras – which filmed Mrs Bibby attacking Miss Leverton’s car and a green Ford Fiesta belonging to Suzanne Hoole. Mrs Bibby has since posted a note of apology through Miss Hoole’s door.
It said: ‘I am just writing to apologise about your car. It will come off with hot water and washing-up liquid. Pass on my apologies to Clare.’

Diana Reed, 40, a full-time carer for her disabled son, has also suffered vandalism over the past few years. She said Mrs Bibby ‘should be stopping behaviour like this happening rather than committing anti-social crimes herself’.

Mrs Bibby, whose husband Kenneth died six years ago, yesterday repeated her apology and said she would be stepping down from her Neighbourhood Watch role.
‘It was a mistake,’ she said. ‘I admitted it to the police and put my hands up and said “I’m sorry”. The flour was unprovoked but it was the build-up of a number of years of provocation. All I can say is someone round here has got a bad attitude.
‘Now I’m being persecuted. I can’t think of anything terrible I have done apart from the flour.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z17VqZKhUA

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Asbo tycoon 'threw bucket of bleach over neighbours'
By Ryan Kisiel

A former neighbour of a property developing tycoon wept yesterday as he told a court how she threw bleach over him in their luxury apartment block.

Ali Yousefian said he and his wife Deborah were targeted by Patricia Bailey – whose continuous bad behaviour has earned her a ‘nationwide’ Asbo.

Bailey is also said to have given another neighbour homophobic abuse and a Nazi salute with the words ‘Heil Hitler’ after finding out his mother was German.

The allegations came to light in the 61-year-old’s appeal against the unusually wide-ranging ‘nationwide’ Asbo handed to her last year following a catalogue of complaints.

Bailey, who lives in an apartment overlooking Lord’s cricket ground in North London, was told she must not use threatening or abusive behaviour towards any person in any part of the country.

Yesterday, at the appeal hearing, Southwark Crown Court heard from former neighbours who lived alongside her at exclusive apartment blocks in sought-after central London areas.

Mr Yousefian, 47, broke down in tears as he described how the bleach was thrown over him and his wife as they got into a lift in the block, in Mayfair, which they shared with Bailey in the 1990s.

‘It is absolutely true,’ he said. ‘I still shake about this when I think about it. Deborah rang the police and when they came the stench of bleach was so strong they didn’t even wait for the ambulance to come, the put me in the back of the car and took me to hospital.’
Jonathan Manning, for Bailey, put to Mr Yousefian that he was lying and his client had in fact thrown soapy water.
But he replied: ‘That’s not the truth sir – you know the truth. I got bleach in my eyes and I still suffer from it. I have a reduced cornea in my left eye.’
He later added: ‘It distresses me to see her. She is an evil woman.’
The court heard from Dr Daniel Kellett, who shared a block in Great Titchfield Street, where Bailey lived from 2002.

He said he was greeted by a Nazi salute by her when he saw her creeping around her neighbours’ front doors. He also said he was subjected to homophobic abuse about his boyfriend, with whom he lived.

Dr Kellett told Recorder Jeremy Donne QC the Asbo should not be lifted. ‘It [Bailey’s behaviour] has been going on for years, and it will simply carry on,’ he said.

The Asbo was given after a court heard Bailey had pursued a campaign of antisocial behaviour against her neighbours in Great Titchfield Street, including allegedly shouting ‘whores’ at women attending a charity meeting.

The appeal continues.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z17X8p2t4u

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
The day an irate Lord Steel told his neighbours: You're disgusting!
By Sam Greenhill and Dennis Rice
Last updated at 12:12 AM on 11th December 2010

As black-tie invitations from the House of Lords go, it was unusual to say the least.
It was torn in half and scribbled on the back were the words: ‘You are disgusting!’

Hardly what Lord Steel’s next-door neighbours expected him to push under their front door.

It seems the usually mild-mannered 72-year-old former Liberal Party leader had turned into a ‘neighbour from hell’ over that eternal source of domestic disputes – rubbish collections.

Yesterday hotelier Danny Karne and his girlfriend Anastasia Kosova told how they fell out with the veteran peer shortly after moving in to their £800-a-week Thameside apartment in South London.

Mr Karne, 34, said: ‘Anastasia called me in tears saying a man had been banging on the door demanding to know why she had left rubbish in the corridor.
‘She told him it was because she was pregnant and didn’t feel well enough to go outside to put it in the communal bins.
‘He screamed: “I don’t care. Take it down there now.” He then watched as she hobbled downstairs with the rubbish.’

A few days later, there was another alleged altercation.

Mr Karne, who owns the Pavilion Hotel near Hyde Park, claims the concierge spoke to him about the Union Flag doormat he had recently put outside his door.
‘He said someone had objected to my mat. He told me it was no laughing matter, because the person who had complained was Lord Steel.’

A few days later Mr Karne claims he found the mat on top of a bin bag in the corridor.

‘I asked Anastasia if she had seen anyone taking the mat away, and she said, “No. But that guy was banging on the door again.” At that very moment I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw a card being pushed under the door.’ On the card was the message: ‘Please keep your rubbish bags in your flat until you take them down. You are disgusting!’

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z17na0eBbj

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Why would Steel object to a union jack doormat? Clearly not a patriot.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Mythopoeika said:
Why would Steel object to a union jack doormat? Clearly not a patriot.
Perhaps he feels wiping your feet on the flag is unpatriotic?

coaly

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
It was a Union flag, not a Jack. (Rynner will know the diff!) :D

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
'Stupid' row over hedge ends in bill for £140,000
A three year neighbourly row over a hedge which ended up costing £140,000 in legal fees was described by a Court of Appeal judge as “one of the most ludicrous” disputes he had encountered.
By Caroline Gammell 8:00AM GMT 09 Feb 2011

The conflict was based on a disagreement about pipes and cables belonging to one house straying on to land owned by another.

Lord Justice Ward told the two men involved: “You together have spent close to £140,000 arguing about whether some cables everyone knows are there are, or are not, on the claimant's land. It is mind-boggling.”

The dispute between Paul Langridge and Anthony Mead began in 2007 over the boundary between their properties on Warreners Lane on the St George’s Hill estate in Weybridge, Surrey.
Mr Langridge wanted to rent his house out to tenants but was concerned about a series of cables running through the laurel hedge between the two properties.
He asked Mr Mead to remove the pipe system – which included a high voltage cable – but the latter refused, the court heard.

Instead, Mr Mead said Mr Langridge would receive an injunction from him if he “interferred” with the irrigation system.
The men went to court and Mr Langridge claimed the cables trespassed onto his land.

Last February, Judge Robert Winstanley sitting at Kingston County Court said he was not convinced the cable belonged to Mr Mead and ordered Mr Langridge to pay a majority share in legal costs.

Yesterday, that decision was overturned after it emerged that Mr Mead had since agreed the cables did belong to him.
The Court of Appeal ordered Mr Mead to pay the £32,000 cost of th appeal, his own legal costs and 25 per cent of Mr Langridge’s costs.

Lord Justice Patten said: "The sensible thing to do would have been to try and agree about it. That would have been the most sensible and cost-effective way of resolving this dispute.
"Instead, everyone gets on their high horses, things get completely out of hand, and the best part of £150,000 is spent resolving it."

The private estate was involved in another boundary row in 2008 – this time costing £300,000 - which prompted Lord Justice Ward to remark:
“There must be something in the water in St George's Hill.” 8)

He added: “I once described a boundary dispute there as 'completely potty', but I think that is something of an understatement in relation to this case.
“I should think this appeal will be one of the most stupid I have had in 16 years.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/83 ... 40000.html

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Allotments war! Police called in to evict prize-winning couple as neighbours judge them too big for their wellies
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:36 PM on 29th March 2011

Angry allotment owners had to be broken up by the police after they clashed over an eviction notice.
A patrol van and two officers - with sirens blaring and lights flashing - raced to the site in Heanor, Derbyshire, to keep the peace.

Plot owners Gary and Jane Wells claim their prize-winning allotment had turned their neighbours green with envy - leading to them being booted off.
But when they refused to leave, committee members of the Roper Avenue Allotment locked the gates, trapping them inside, before calling police.

Gary, 40, who won best vegetable plot in the 2009 Gardener of the Year competition, said: 'We had been there for about 30 minutes when three committee members came over to us and told us to get off the land as we had been given an eviction notice and were therefore trespassing.
'They said they had locked us in and called the police.
'The officers came within minutes with all the "blues and twos" going.
'They said I had to leave as I had been given an eviction notice and if we didn't they would arrest us for breach of the peace. It is a ridiculous situation.'

The baffled allotment owner has lodged an appeal against the eviction, which he believes is over his attempts to open up his prize-winning plot to the public.
Gary added: 'We feel we are being harassed off the site as other plot holders are jealous after we won the competition.
'In hindsight, winning it was probably the worst thing that could have happened to us.
'The committee just want us off the site for whatever reason. It is us two versus 20 of them and the whole thing stinks.'

Terry Wright, secretary of the allotment committee, said: 'I was not there on Sunday and until I know what is happening I will not be commenting.'

The committee of the Roper Avenue Allotment issued the eviction notice after receiving five letters of complaint between July and November last year claiming the Wellses' behaviour has 'besmirched the good name and good standing' of the society and had 'brought the Allotment Movement as a whole into disrepute'.

A spokesman for Derbyshire police confirmed officers were called to the allotments on Sunday.
He said: 'We attended for a potential breach of the peace.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1I4vid5L8

A friend of mine has an allotment. Such rows between members and other members, and/or the committee seem pretty common. (Usually because some 'Captain Mainwaring' type wants to run everything!)

rev_dino

Administrator
Reaction score
I love this comment:

Is it me, or does anyone else think that shed looks like Mike Tyson?
- Maris Piper, whitley bay, Republic of Geordieland (Retired), 30/3/2011 08:29

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
rev_dino said:
I love this comment:

Is it me, or does anyone else think that shed looks like Mike Tyson?
- Maris Piper, whitley bay, Republic of Geordieland (Retired), 30/3/2011 08:29
:rofl:

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Not literal neighbours, but publishing neighbours:

Down girls! Rival dog magazine editors go to war
By Valerie Elliott
Last updated at 11:39 PM on 18th June 2011

They spend much of their time doling out advice on how to keep your pet’s behaviour in check. But now the owners of rival dog magazines are struggling to keep themselves under control after becoming involved in a furious dispute.

Insults have been traded, legal threats issued and police called in. There has even been a report that the c-word was shouted into a mobile phone while one of the parties was travelling home on a busy commuter train.

The remarkable row started when Beverley Cuddy, editor and publisher of the long-established Surrey-based monthly magazine Dogs Today, discovered that Lizette Roux had set up a quarterly publication, Surrey Dog Life, which claimed to be the county’s ‘first and only dog magazine’.
Ms Cuddy, 48, said: ‘I wrote a very polite email to her pointing out that obviously it wasn’t the case that her magazine was the first and only dog magazine in Surrey and asked if she could please remove that claim.’

In a further twist, both Ms Cuddy and Mrs Roux, 42, live at properties called The Dog House, and Ms Cuddy said: ‘I also pointed out to her that as she was operating from a remarkably similar address to ours, some people might imagine she was part of our outfit, which obviously wasn’t the case.’

Ms Cuddy later authorised her husband, Graham Smith, the magazine’s legal officer, to issue a formal warning giving Mrs Roux 14 days to drop her claim that she was running the first and only dog magazine in the county.

Mrs Roux, from Woking, replied in an email: ‘I have taken abuse of the highest standard from your boss and have handed this to the police. If you threaten me one more time I will get the police to caution you and Ms Beverley Cundy [sic]. I am fed up of your threats and disgusting abuse to me and my company.’

Police visited Ms Cuddy at her offices in Chobham earlier this month in an attempt to resolve the dispute. She said: ‘The officer said he was here to see me and Graham and that we were accused of making threats.
‘I was shaking. There are seven of us here and we all stopped work. I have not spoken to this woman since February but I showed the officer all the emails and messages. He told me to have nothing further to do with her.’

Mrs Roux told The Mail on Sunday: ‘I complained to the police of intimidation and harassment. All I want to do is be happy and have a nice life. But she is a rottweiler as far as I’m concerned. It’s all been very upsetting. Mine is the first and only dog magazine in Surrey. Dogs Today is a national publication which is just based in Surrey.
‘All I want to do is run a happy magazine for dog-lovers and I’m going to carry on.’

Surrey Police said: ‘On June 8, police received an allegation about an offensive communication and officers have made inquiries with both parties. At this stage there is no evidence to support any criminal inves-tigation. The parties have been advised to cease direct contact and resolve any civil dispute through legal representatives.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1PiR4Ybq8

Quite a pithy headline, by Mail standards! And it was a good idea to avoid any use of the B-word... ;)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Neighbours at war... over TV reception: Man who felled trees to get a better signal is told to pay compensation
By Kerry Mcqueeney
Last updated at 8:02 AM on 26th September 2011

A fuming neighbour was so annoyed about the poor signal his television was receiving that he cut down the trees he thought were responsible for it.
Andrew Partridge felled 11 of his neighbour's trees and damaged another 21 near his house because he thought they were interfering with his channel reception.

The 30-foot high Scots pine trees he cut down were growing on agricultural land backing on to his home and he has now been ordered by a court to pay the landowner £2,500 in compensation.
However this figure could rise again if civil action is taken against 55-year-old Partridge to recoup more of the £17,000 of damage he caused to the trees.
Partridge was also given 80 hours community service at Norwich Crown Court.
The court heard that Partridge had been warned several times in the past to stop cutting back the trees - which he ignored - and was even personally asked by the landowner Julian Taylor, whose farm backs on to Partridge's house.
Mr Taylor, a seventh-generation arable farmer in Starston, Norfolk, said after the hearing that it will take between 15 and 20 years to repair the damage caused to the belt of mature trees.
He also suggested he might pursue a civil claim against Partridge.
He said: 'The compensation covers some of the damage but not the loss of amenity. We will have to go back to our lawyers and see if it is worth chasing.
'We would like to get on and replant this autumn so the screen has a chance of growing back as quickly as possible.'

Partridge, of Harleston, Norfolk, told the court - via his solicitors - that he felled the trees to help his neighbours.
Despite the court hearing how the total damage was more than £17,500, Partridge, who used to be a HGV driver, was only ordered to pay £2,500 and given the community sentence, as he is out-of-work and has no assets.
Judge Alasdair Darroch said: 'That may still happen to you. You had no right to do what you did.'
The judge also told him he should not have denied the criminal damage charge, adding: 'It was a great pity you chose to defend this action. You had absolutely no defence and no business to cut down the trees.'
Partridge made no comment after the case.

Mr Taylor said he had noticed branches on his belt of mature trees were gradually being cut down, but he had no idea who it was until he spotted Partridge in 2009.
He also said he believed Partridge's motives were to create a view from his property.
He told the BBC: 'He made some lame excuse that he needed to improve his television reception.
'The fact was he was clearing the branches from the ground up to about 25ft, which was really, I think, so that he could get a view out to the west.'

He added: 'If he had stopped the first time or even the second time I asked, we wouldn't have asked for a prosecution to take place.'
Mr Taylor, a farmer and vice-chairman of the Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association, said he hoped the sentence would send out a warning to others in the same situation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1Z3O2zdrg