Nasty Neighbours

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Go Granny Go!

In the hands of the experts, opera is one of the most sublime art forms known to mankind. In the hands, however, of an angry pensioner with an axe to grind — and a parrot to sing along — it can become a weapon in a long-running dispute between neighbours.

A court has heard how 81-year-old Catherine Searle used her parrot as part of a campaign of harassment against the couple who lived next door.

Searle threw dog mess into her neighbours’ garden, scratched their car and encouraged her parrot to torment them with its singing.

Her victims described the bird’s operatic repertoire as “Chinese torture”.

Searle, of Seal in Kent, was caught on CCTV 38 times as she smeared grease over the bonnets of her neighbours Paul and Lydia Appleton’s van and car in 2018.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...inging-parrot-to-torment-neighbours-ndt5kpg73

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A tenant in an upscale Amsterdam neighborhood has been ordered to vacate after all attempts to mitigate his noise-making (however medically based) proved futile.
Tenant ordered to vacate apartment for howling like a wolf

A tenant was ordered by a judge to move out of his apartment in the expensive Amsterdam Zuidas due to multiple noise complaints from his neighbors dating back to October 2019. ...

The man was accused of making “loud, frightening cries” that at times sounded like a howling wolf.

At the beginning of last year, the tenant admitted that the accusations were true. During preliminary hearings, it was revealed that he suffered from vocal tics caused by a psychological disorder. He underwent treatment in a psychiatric facility and began taking medication.

For a while, it seemed as if the situation had calmed down, however, a few weeks later neighbors reported noise complaints to the police 13 times within three days. Sound-proof walls installed in April of 2020 also did not help alleviate the situation.

In October of last year the housing corporation Eigen Haard, asked the man to move ... This was not possible at the time due to the coronavirus pandemic and the tenant appealing that he wanted to continue living in the neighborhood.

Multiple residents sold their apartments and moved out of the building in the mean time ... In January, after complaints from residents that the tenant was “back in full force”, Eigen Haard took the case to court. A judge ruled that due to the situation not showing any improvement, the tenant had to vacate the premises.
FULL STORY: https://nltimes.nl/2021/02/22/tenant-ordered-vacate-apartment-howling-like-wolf

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
A tenant in an upscale Amsterdam neighborhood has been ordered to vacate after all attempts to mitigate his noise-making (however medically based) proved futile...
Reminiscent of my post #104.

I kind of wonder how you approach making a complaint like that. Do you actually ring some anonymous local authority line and say 'my neighbour howls like a wolf' - or do you make less specific references to loud noise? I suppose these days you could make recordings. In fact I think the friend mentioned in my earlier post actually did film the guy running around the street. I suppose if you are met with official indifference then at least you still have a potential YouTube hit on your hands.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Go Granny Go!

In the hands of the experts, opera is one of the most sublime art forms known to mankind. In the hands, however, of an angry pensioner with an axe to grind — and a parrot to sing along — it can become a weapon in a long-running dispute between neighbours.

A court has heard how 81-year-old Catherine Searle used her parrot as part of a campaign of harassment against the couple who lived next door.

Searle threw dog mess into her neighbours’ garden, scratched their car and encouraged her parrot to torment them with its singing.

Her victims described the bird’s operatic repertoire as “Chinese torture”.

Searle, of Seal in Kent, was caught on CCTV 38 times as she smeared grease over the bonnets of her neighbours Paul and Lydia Appleton’s van and car in 2018.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...inging-parrot-to-torment-neighbours-ndt5kpg73

Her own lawyer sees more trouble coming -

She pleaded guilty to criminal damage and harassment halfway through the trial in December, and was given a restraining order and suspended sentence.
Defence lawyer Francis Conteh warned the restraining order was a "recipe for disaster", given their proximity as neighbours.
Mr Appleton said: "I think the sentence is a good outcome, she has been given a warning - offend again and you go to prison."
Her neighbours know too. The minute she slams a door the police will be there.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cr...amily-next-door-in-spite-of-restraining-order

A woman's bizarre explanations for harassing her neighbours have been rejected by a judge.

Napier woman Mary O’Neill has been found guilty of harassing a couple and their two young children after Judge Gordon Matenga found her evidence to be “self-serving” and “evasive”.

The four guilty verdicts relate to acts performed by O’Neill in late February last year. Judge Matenga reached the verdicts late last month after a hearing in September last year.

The verdicts are the latest chapter in an 18-month conflict that began when Peter Malcouronne, partner Nicola Spicer and their two young children moved into a house on Shakespeare Road, next door to O’Neill, 56, and husband Thomas O’Neill, in June 2018.