• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nasty Things Found In Food & Drink

SHAYBARSABE said:
ramonmercado said:
Ronson8 said:
She sounds like a bit of a drama queen what with the heart attacks and the nightmares. :roll:

All the better for compensation! Bet shes wheeled into court.

You're probably right. But a bolt that long? What happened to the metal detection? Much is suspect here.

I agree - to be honest I don't believe it was originally in the bag at all. Far more likely to have come from her freezer itself than the factory.

But then that would be a rubbish story.

CarlosTheDJ said:
SHAYBARSABE said:
ramonmercado said:
Ronson8 said:
She sounds like a bit of a drama queen what with the heart attacks and the nightmares. :roll:

You're probably right. But a bolt that long? What happened to the metal detection? Much is suspect here.

I agree - to be honest I don't believe it was originally in the bag at all. Far more likely to have come from her freezer itself than the factory.

Bolts that size don't just fall out of domestic freezers. Food production does, however, get outsourced to dodgy factories on anonymous industrial estates in out of the way places. Production costs v. profit margins. Dobbin in your burger, steel bolts with your chips. Why not?

Ronson8 said:
She sounds like a bit of a drama queen what with the heart attacks and the nightmares...

Yep.

Worth emphasising that the shop manager offered to refund or replace the offending bag of chips, so Mrs Brown would not have suffered any financial loss - but I suspect this is not going to be enough, what with the trauma and all. :roll:

God only knows how she dealt with the war.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
SHAYBARSABE said:
ramonmercado said:
Ronson8 said:

Bolts that size don't just fall out of domestic freezers. Food production does, however, get outsourced to dodgy factories on anonymous industrial estates in out of the way places. Production costs v. profit margins. Dobbin in your burger, steel bolts with your chips. Why not?

If a bolt can fall out of a machine in a dodgy factory it could just have easily have fallen out of a poorly maintained freezer at home or at any point in the production-distribution-retail journey surely?

I'm just saying I don't think its fair to assume either the factory or store are responsible, OR that the customer is trying it on. They all seem equally unlikely..........

I dunno though, a friend of mine once found a largeish nut'n'bolt assembly in her chip shop meal. She took it all back and learned that it had fallen from some chip shop machine and they'd been frantically hunting for it.

She got free chips for life! :D
Well, until that owner sold up anyway. :lol:

I think I'll stick to the gulubjani.

West Yorkshire confectionery 'contains banned food dye'

Potentially cancer-causing dyes have been found in traditional Asian sweets made in West Yorkshire, trading standards officers have said.

Fluorescent pink rhodamine B and yellow auramine are banned from use as food colourings.

But West Yorkshire Trading Standards said the dyes were found in products at five outlets in Halifax, Bradford, Cleckheaton and Huddersfield.

A spokesman said it would prosecute any food manufacturers found using them.

Principal officer Trevor Gray said: "It appears that there are at least three manufacturers that have been using the dye in West Yorkshire.

"We have seized stock from several outlets and we are investigating to determine who is responsible."

The European Food Safety Authority has found rhodamine B and auramine to be potentially carcinogenic or genotoxic, which means they can affect the genes and potentially cause cancer.

Leeds councillor Bill Urry said: "These brightly coloured sweets made from milk and sugar are especially attractive to children therefore, in order to protect their health, it is important they are removed from sale."

Trading Standards said businesses should contact their suppliers to check whether the dyes are in their products.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26226736

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17233766

Bristol's Chinese community is being warned not to eat daffodils after several people were treated in hospital for the symptoms of poisoning.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the 10 people who had eaten daffodil stalks and leaves were treated in hospital for severe vomiting.

Sounds like a UL but apparently true. Gotta say, the daffodils and chives don't look too much alike, and what would daffodils be doing in with the food anyway?

Around here they are often bundled as in the picture and displayed flat in the boxes used for fruit and veg. As they are seasonal they don't have a dedicated area but get placed near to the fruit, veg, and flowers/plants in the supermarket.

I'm just wondering how much of this (or how little) might be down to disaffected employees in food-packing outlets. I worked enough horror story-places as a temp to be aware of how bad management and bad treatment of staff can piss people off. Combine that with agency temp workers who have no rights and no job security, often on less pay per hour than the client company's directly-employed labour who work alongside doing exactly the same job (often to a lower standard) for more money... the scope for exploitation and a sense of resentment... you're just surprised it doesn't happen more often. Robert Anton Wilson talked about "the revenge of the repressed", after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17233766

Bristol's Chinese community is being warned not to eat daffodils after several people were treated in hospital for the symptoms of poisoning.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the 10 people who had eaten daffodil stalks and leaves were treated in hospital for severe vomiting.

Sounds like a UL but apparently true. Gotta say, the daffodils and chives don't look too much alike, and what would daffodils be doing in with the food anyway?

Hold on there. Chinese Chives look a lot like daffs that haven't flowered yet. Google some pics.

I have heard of a non English-speaking shopper buying flower bulbs in mistake for onions or shallots when they were displayed outside a greengrocery shop. He cooked and ate them and was poisoned, and died. The same scenario was shown on Casualty soon afterwards.

Hold on there. Chinese Chives look a lot like daffs that haven't flowered yet. Google some pics.

The pic on the Beeb site was misleading, then, I Googled as you suggested and they did look alike in a few pics. Maybe more obvious packaging would help?

Like something out of Hemingway.

b9wcm5nciaaohuk.jpg

''Teen finds Chicken Organ in KFC, Just Wants his $4 Back''

Posted 7:45 PM, February 9, 2015, by Kay Recede, Updated at 07:42pm, February 9, 2015

Full story here, http://fox40.com/2015/02/09/teen-finds-chicken-organ-in-kfc-just-wants-his-4-back/

I keep free range chickens just for my self, but that has put me off eating chicken for now; I'll be sticking to the eggs for a while!

Definitely sounds nasty!

Shoppers are being warned not to eat particular food products being recalled by Sainsbury's and Tesco as the items 'may contain small pieces of metal.'

Sainsbury's said it was recalling its Be Good to Yourself Potato Salad, its by Sainsbury's Potato Salad 180g/300g/500g and its by Sainsbury's Deli-Style Coleslaw & Potato Salad 500g from stores.

And Tesco is recalling its Tesco Finest Charlotte Potato Salad 275g, Tesco Finest Coleslaw and Potato Salad 400g, Tesco Potato Salad 300g/600g, Tesco Healthy Living Salad 300g and Tesco Coleslaw and Potato Salad Twin Pack 500g.

Both supermarkets are warning people that, if they have bought this product, they should not eat it.

Lincolnshire Echo

I've had potato salad that had bits of grit in it (presumably embedded in the potato).
Nasty stuff.

b9wcm5nciaaohuk.jpg

Posted 7:45 PM, February 9, 2015, by Kay Recede, Updated at 07:42pm, February 9, 2015

Full story here, http://fox40.com/2015/02/09/teen-finds-chicken-organ-in-kfc-just-wants-his-4-back/

I keep free range chickens just for my self, but that has put me off eating chicken for now; I'll be sticking to the eggs for a while!

I had a girlfriend who was on the tube (London) in the early 90's, bit into her KFC and found a weird small grey lump that "looked like a brain" ... she kept it in her fridge, reported it to the food authorities only to learn that a lot of chickens bred for KFC customers developed cancer tumours. They even had a vacuum device to remove them before final processing. Sally was told that that was just one that the KFC operatives had missed .. that's what this above pic looks like to me.

b9wcm5nciaaohuk.jpg

Looks like a gizzard to me, perfectly edible but a bit chewy and they often appear an off putting greenish colour! I use them in home made cat food, from a local Turkish butcher so I presume people must use them in stews etc.

I looked up "do chickens get cancer?" online and found this handy page:
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2012/may/16/straight-hip-chicken-breast-cancer/#

The answer being, they do, but not in their muscles, that is the meat you would eat, because cancer is mostly related to age and chickens bred for eating don't get that old, as you can imagine. The only way you'd find a tumour in your chicken meal would be if you were eating the bones or right up the parson's nose, but even then it's unlikely.

Back in the early 1950's, when I was a very little girl (probably 4 years old) my mother was asked to do the odd day's Supply Teaching at the local Girls'Secondary School.
As there was no-one to look after me at home, I was allowed to come to the school with her, and was handed over to some "big girls" to be looked after .
I had school dinner with them, and -to my horror - found a decent sized dead but recognizable slug in my pudding!
I was too shy to show my minders what I'd found, but pushed the offending piece of pudding to one side, and said bravely "I don't want that bit!" To my great relief the big girls said "That's alright". (I was afraid they would tell me I'd got to clean my plate :))

My mother and I laughed about it afterwards .Apparently we'd had salad for the first course -the slug must have crawled off that and headed straight into the sponge pudding mixture.

Air India has insisted that there is "absolutely no truth" in reports that a lizard was found in an in-flight meal on a Delhi-London flight on Thursday.

Its denial follows the publication of a picture on social media which purportedly shows the reptile's head underneath a bun on a meal tray.

It is not clear from the photo if the creature is dead or alive. ...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33122456

No photos of the cake or the sex toy. Hmph.

Can someone reading here please make a cake with a sex toy sticking out of it and post the pic here just so we can all have a bit of a laugh (and satisfy Mythopeika at the same time) ... I would but I can't do cakes ..

Can you provide the sex toy? I might be able to bake a cake.............:)

Can you provide the sex toy? I might be able to bake a cake.............:)
I could contact an ex, she had a cardboard box full of them but I doubt her new fella would be pleased ..

Perhaps someone could put a vibro through a swiss roll ? .... or anal beads around a wedding cake as decoration ? ...

I could contact an ex, she had a cardboard box full of them but I doubt her new fella would be pleased ..

Perhaps someone could put a vibro through a swiss roll ? .... or anal beads around a wedding cake as decoration ? ...
Frides, you still got that dildo we could we could bake into a Victoria Sponge?

Back