• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nasty Things Found In Food & Drink

They might be, I can't say I've given it a lot of thought.

There are flyers for other take aways too. Admittedly, the local pizza take away (which do a bloody amazing calzone) is muslim.

Scottish Cheese Mystery.

Makers of unpasteurized and artisan cheeses have always argued that food-poisoning by Listeria and other pathogens are much more likely to emerge from mass-market carelessness than their own careful regimes.

They have also claimed that the authorities are much heavier on them than on mainstream producers. They argued that no cases of food-poisoning could be attributed to them.

Now we have a death from E-Coli and conflicting laboratory reports. :confused:

Going off on a slight tangent - but still cheese-related.

The total ban on Tyramine in Florida makes cheese, wine and chocolate illegal there! Well, perhaps. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have been assured that its very hard to get poisoned by unpasteurized cheese. Possibly the person in question was only talking about hard cheese though.

Apparently the cheese itself will 'die' and taste inedible if it is infected. Of course, if you have rubbish taste buds, that's not a great help. Sounds a similar situation to real ale, though, which is also a 'live' product.

And it doesn't protect you against infection on the surface of the cheese if its been handled by someone contaminated in the few minutes before you eat it.

I've frequently just scraped the mould off old cheese and eaten it.

I should probably clarify that generally I eat the cheese, not the mould :)
Sorry, there was meant to be a reply to your post but I can't remember what it was .. I'm also a cheese scraper.

Probably a special order for Ozzy Osbourne.

(CNN)Two people were recommended for post-exposure rabies treatment after a consumer in Florida reported finding a dead bat in a packaged salad mix, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Saturday.

The bat was sent to the CDC after it was found in a bag of Fresh Express Organic Marketside Spring Mix.
"The deteriorated condition of the bat did not allow for CDC to definitively rule out whether this bat had rabies," the Atlanta-based agency said.

The CDC said the risk of rabies transmission was extremely low but not zero, so the two people who ate salad mix were recommended for treatment as a precaution.

They are fine and show no signs of having rabies, the CDC said.

Fresh Express has recalled packages of the salad mix that were sold at Walmarts in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/08/health/fresh-express-salad-bat-cdc/index.html

Probably a special order for Ozzy Osbourne.

(CNN)Two people were recommended for post-exposure rabies treatment after a consumer in Florida reported finding a dead bat in a packaged salad mix, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Saturday.

The bat was sent to the CDC after it was found in a bag of Fresh Express Organic Marketside Spring Mix.
"The deteriorated condition of the bat did not allow for CDC to definitively rule out whether this bat had rabies," the Atlanta-based agency said.

The CDC said the risk of rabies transmission was extremely low but not zero, so the two people who ate salad mix were recommended for treatment as a precaution.

They are fine and show no signs of having rabies, the CDC said.

Fresh Express has recalled packages of the salad mix that were sold at Walmarts in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/08/health/fresh-express-salad-bat-cdc/index.html
This makes a noteworthy change from frogs being found in salad bags I suppose.

This makes a noteworthy change from frogs being found in salad bags I suppose.
That might be what the bat was looking for in the salad.
batfrog-2.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fringe-lipped_bat

Can YOU see what's wrong with this toy? Woman says figurine she found inside her Kinder Surprise chocolate egg is 'disgusting'… so do you agree?
  • Woman found a little green bird striking a 'disgusting' pose in Kinder Surprise
  • Figurine held a microphone in hand, but what it held in the other had her fuming
  • 'It is a green man TOUCHING HIS GENITALS,' customer named Rachael wrote
By Max Margan For Daily Mail Australia PUBLISHED: 08:35, 20 April 2017 | UPDATED: 08:35, 20 April 2017

It's the popular chocolate egg treat which offers children a tiny plastic toy inside.

But one adult Kinder Surprise customer was outraged when she discovered her mystery figurine was a little green bird striking a 'disgusting' pose.

The bird held a microphone in one hand, but it's what it held in the other that had the customer, Rachael, fuming.

3F686E1700000578-0-image-a-1_1492672247188.jpg

+3
A Kinder Surprise customer was outraged when she discovered her mystery figurine was a little green bird striking a 'disgusting' pose

'I got a Kinder Surprise and it is a green man TOUCHING HIS GENITALS,' she wrote next to a picture of the toy she shared on Facebook.

'WTF is this?! Children are exposed to this disgusting act - what has the world come to?

'It's f****** disgusting and clearly we are desensitised to these sort of things. F***** Ferrero who owns Kinder needs to look at this s***.'

Rachael, who doesn't have any children of her own, said the toy wasn't appropriate for youngsters. ..

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...prise-toy-disgusting-agree.html#ixzz4en1WirQX

Can YOU see what's wrong with this toy? Woman says figurine she found inside her Kinder Surprise chocolate egg is 'disgusting'… so do you agree?
  • Woman found a little green bird striking a 'disgusting' pose in Kinder Surprise
  • Figurine held a microphone in hand, but what it held in the other had her fuming
  • 'It is a green man TOUCHING HIS GENITALS,' customer named Rachael wrote
By Max Margan For Daily Mail Australia PUBLISHED: 08:35, 20 April 2017 | UPDATED: 08:35, 20 April 2017

It's the popular chocolate egg treat which offers children a tiny plastic toy inside.

But one adult Kinder Surprise customer was outraged when she discovered her mystery figurine was a little green bird striking a 'disgusting' pose.

The bird held a microphone in one hand, but it's what it held in the other that had the customer, Rachael, fuming.

3F686E1700000578-0-image-a-1_1492672247188.jpg

+3
A Kinder Surprise customer was outraged when she discovered her mystery figurine was a little green bird striking a 'disgusting' pose

'I got a Kinder Surprise and it is a green man TOUCHING HIS GENITALS,' she wrote next to a picture of the toy she shared on Facebook.

'WTF is this?! Children are exposed to this disgusting act - what has the world come to?

'It's f****** disgusting and clearly we are desensitised to these sort of things. F***** Ferrero who owns Kinder needs to look at this s***.'

Rachael, who doesn't have any children of her own, said the toy wasn't appropriate for youngsters. ..

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...prise-toy-disgusting-agree.html#ixzz4en1WirQX
How does she know it's a male toy and not a female one ? .. female rappers do that as well. I am highly offended at her sexist presumption in that case.

The latest thing that is going to kill you? Licking the bowl when you are making cakes. Yes. It KILLS YOU. DEAD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42236702

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warned against eating raw dough, batter or cake mixture because of the risk of E. coli from flour.

The FDA updated its guidelines following an investigation into an E. coli outbreak in the US in 2016 where flour was found to be the cause.

Cooking the flour kills any bacteria that can cause infections.

The FDA says commercially made cookie dough ice-cream products are OK as manufacturers use treated flour.

Buy only processed food products. They are safe.

Dozens. Literally DOZENS of people out of the US population of hundreds of millions have been made ill. DOZENS.

FEAR THE FLOUR.:tank:

The latest thing that is going to kill you? Licking the bowl when you are making cakes. Yes. It KILLS YOU. DEAD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42236702

Buy only processed food products. They are safe.

Dozens. Literally DOZENS of people out of the US population of hundreds of millions have been made ill. DOZENS.

FEAR THE FLOUR.:tank:
I don't remember getting ill and dying whenever I did that as a kid (the last time I baked a cake and ate the raw mix).
Why was it safe then and not now?

We need an inquiry!

We were allowed to then we weren't cos of Sam and Ella then we were allowed again now we can't again cos of Colin.

Strewth it's a tooth!

A horrified Australian passenger discovered a suspected human tooth in a meal on a Singapore Airlines flight, prompting the carrier to apologise and open an investigation.

Bradley Button was eating rice on the flight on Tuesday when he heard a crunch and spat out what appeared to be a molar.

"For the rest of the flight I was not well, just the idea of having someone else's body part in my food is not nice," he told the Australian Associated Press.

He said a flight attendant was "adamant" that she needed to take the object away for testing and that it was a small rock.

"It was without a shadow of a doubt a tooth," he added. After the discovery, Mr Button said he was given a voucher to use on the airline's duty-free products.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0228/1033398-singapore-airline-tooth/

Couple's horror as they find a BAT inside a jar of peaches
A man has claimed he found a small bat while eating from a plastic jar of peaches.

The man's wife claimed her husband had already eaten two mouthfuls of the fruit before finding the dead micro-bat in the jar of Goulburn Valley peaches.

'My husband took two mouthfuls, the third mouthful had this micro-bat as big as a tablespoon,' she told 2GB.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...ut-it-in-his-mouth/ar-BBUep0Y?ocid=spartandhp

Eight Ohio middle school students could face felony assault charges for allegedly putting bodily fluids in crepes that were consumed by teachers, according to police who say that the young suspects recorded their acts and shared the video with fellow classmates.

twocrepesxx19.jpg

The suspects are all 14 years old, with the exception of one student who recently turned 15, a police spokesperson said.
Investigators say the May 16 incident occurred at Hyatts Middle School in Powell, a city 15 miles north of Columbus.

As part of a “Global Gourmet” home economics class, students competed in a cooking competition that was judged by teachers. It was during the food preparation that the suspects reportedly placed urine and semen into crepes (which were later consumed by several adult victims).

Lab tests are being conducted.

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/crepes/ohio-crepe-caper-216590

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst at secondary school, I can remember people finding deep fried ants in amongst their chips one day. That went down well.

On a more personal note, nearly twenty years ago I was eating a strawberry Mueller Corner for breakfast in semi-darkness in my kitchen when I encountered a hard bit. I fished it out of my mouth, glanced at it and thought, "Oh, it's the top of a strawberry" before finishing the yogurt. I then inspected the "strawberry top" more thoroughly under a light and realised it had legs... Cue one phone call to the parent company, during which I MAY have mentioned that I worked in a microbiology lab and we knew people in Food Safety. They actually sent someone out to collect said artefact plus the packaging! A few weeks later I had a letter to say that after investigation, it had turned out to be some kind of scarab beetle that must have been caught up in the picking in Poland and was processed along with the strawberries. They did also send a cheque - I think it was for £25 - so I wasn't too unhappy. I figured there were worse things to find in food. However, I've not been keen on strawberry yogurt ever since!

Whilst at secondary school, I can remember people finding deep fried ants in amongst their chips one day. That went down well.

On a more personal note, nearly twenty years ago I was eating a strawberry Mueller Corner for breakfast in semi-darkness in my kitchen when I encountered a hard bit. I fished it out of my mouth, glanced at it and thought, "Oh, it's the top of a strawberry" before finishing the yogurt. I then inspected the "strawberry top" more thoroughly under a light and realised it had legs... Cue one phone call to the parent company, during which I MAY have mentioned that I worked in a microbiology lab and we knew people in Food Safety. They actually sent someone out to collect said artefact plus the packaging! A few weeks later I had a letter to say that after investigation, it had turned out to be some kind of scarab beetle that must have been caught up in the picking in Poland and was processed along with the strawberries. They did also send a cheque - I think it was for £25 - so I wasn't too unhappy. I figured there were worse things to find in food. However, I've not been keen on strawberry yogurt ever since!
Years ago, my Mum found a dead scarab beetle in a packet of dates. More recently, she found a small piece of masonry in a packet of dates, which almost cracked a tooth. I told her to just stop buying them, as they clearly don't care about their customers. 'Eat Me' dates, in case anyone wonders about the brand.

Years ago, my Mum found a dead scarab beetle in a packet of dates. More recently, she found a small piece of masonry in a packet of dates, which almost cracked a tooth. I told her to just stop buying them, as they clearly don't care about their customers. 'Eat Me' dates, in case anyone wonders about the brand.

My dad (who had served in North Africa with the RAF in WWII) told me a tale which may have been either an UL or a bullshit “dad story”. Anyway: he assured the young Maximus that date-packing factories in Egypt employed old crones, specially selected because each only had one remaining tooth in the upper jaw. Their job was to stone the dates by a deft application of said solitary gnasher.

lt didn’t put me off dates.

maximus otter

Similar outcome in my case. Not quite 20 years ago I was seriously into weightlifting and bodybuilding and consumed a lot of protein bars post workout. Eating one one day found me biting down quite hard onto a smallish stone around 5mm in size.
I spat it out, put it into a plastic zip lock bag along with the remainder of the bar and write a terse note to the company.
Some weeks later in the mail I received a cheque for $100 plus 3 months supply of protein bars which in itself was worth almost $500. A pleasing and unexpected result.

Back