• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Natural Selection of Universes

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This article is worth a read.
Link is dead. No archived version found. Thread is therefore of questionable value.

A scientist explains that only universes with intelligent life will be parents to new universes, and these child universes will themselves therefore be suitable for the evolution of new intelligent life.

The ideas he proposes put a new spin on several philosophical and scientific questions, such as who/what created the universe, and why it so so finely tuned to support life when minute variations in the physical constants would most probably lead to a universe without stars and planets - a place totally barren and inhospitable to any form of life we can imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW

That makes a certain kind of sense. Metaphorically, logically and metaphysicaly I like it, I like it a lot. :)

Niles "Fiat Lux" Calder

Theres a Greg Bear book on exactly this subject. Kinda makes you think it should happen - until you consider he describes the most "user-friendly" version of the event.

The whole thing screams out for Occams Razor doesn't it? It is a possibility, but the "How did the first universe start?" question is just moved instead of being solved.

I don't think we are ever going to get an answer to the one big question in science:
Why is there something instead of nothing

Like Stephen Hawking said, there can only be nothing in one way, but there can be something in many ways.

If our universe is an artifical construct akin to an eleven dimesional computer simulation, maybe the designers left some shortcuts/ cheat codes that would allow you to 'hack' reality, or in other words, magic.
BTW - what is the Greg Bear book called?

But why bring life into it? The idea of black holes spawning new universes worked too. And as for the universe being perfectly tuned to bring about life, I'm guessing it is also perfectly tuned for garden gnomes and whatever else exists.

This sounds very similar to physicist Lee Smolins theory of "cosmological natural selection"... Although Smolin feels no need to invoke hyper-intelligent designers. He seems more interested in self organisation and emergence...

His book "The Life of the Cosmos" is definately worth a look...

More here:

http://www.disinfo.com/pages/dossier/id461/pg1/
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020810234721/http://www.disinfo.com/pages/dossier/id461/pg1/

along with some good links...

Maybe the whole of the universe itself is it's own unconcious designer...

Bye

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also shades of Rupert Sheldrake's theory of morphic resonance - all living things share a morphic field, and once one creature learns something, that knowledge is transmitted to all others in the species through the morphic field.
So once a universe 'learns' how to support life, this knowledge is shared by all other universes in the multiverse.

chatsubo said:
I don't think we are ever going to get an answer to the one big question in science:
Why is there something instead of nothing

That's something I was considering the other day as I was lying in bed suffering from a migraine . . . it's not something my mind coiuld get itself around . . .

Carole

I don't see it has anything to do with the resonance field theory.

Xanatic said:
I don't see it has anything to do with the resonance field theory.
Well, Sheldrake uses the Gaian/ecosystem model as a possiblity of a meta-organism that could have a morphic field, so if you follow his thinking, the same could apply to galaxies, superstructures and ultimately universes. Still if life is very rare in the universe, then I guess the morphic field effect wouldn't have much signifigence.
Of course the frustrating thing about Sheldrake is, despite me wanting his theory to be correct (old fan of the Grant Morrison comic Animalman), it is damn hard to prove.
I knew that there was a reward for anyone who could prove morphic resonance, whether the reward still exists, I am unsure.

Here's the introductory text from the MIA Lee Smolin article ....
lee smolin: the new einstein?

The basic idea is that black holes give rise to new regions of space and time, and that at these events, which resemble our Big Bang, the laws of physics can change. When worked out in detail, this idea leads to a scientific theory which makes predictions which are testable. The basic prediction is that no small change in the masses of the elementary particles or the strengths of the forces would lead to a world with more black holes than ours. So far, although a number of astronomers have tried to find counterexamples, this prediction has held up . . . What for me is most provocative is the possibility that, for this to work, we will have to extend the Darwinian idea that the structure of a system must be formed from within by natural processes of self-organization' to the properties of space and time themselves.
~~ Lee Smolin, "What is the Future of Cosmology?"
Lee Smolin: The New Einstein?

Penn State University professor and theoretical physicist Lee Smolin has written some of the most provocative theories about cosmology and theoretical physics in the 21st century. Once touted by Discover Magazine as "the new Einstein", Smolin's contribution to a cosmological Theory of Everything will redefine how you perceive time-space and the grand evolution of the universe.

Early 20th century physics was shaped by two opposing models: Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity (which dealt with large-scale matter such as planets, solar systems and galaxies) and the quantum mechanics models explored by Niels Bohr, Erwin Schroedinger, Werner Heisenberg, Wolfgang Pauli and others (which dealt with small-scale atoms, molecules and subatomic particles). What complicated both theories were their different views on the geometric viewpoint of space-time: Einstein concluded that space arose out of object relationships whereas quantum mechanics defined space as a pre-existing entity whose rules could be uncovered and manipulated. The incompatibility of these two theories has doomed attempts to discover a cosmological Theory of Everything.

The Event Horizon as Cosmological Sacrament

Roger Penrose and Stephen Hawking captured the public's imagination with their respective theories. Relativity physicists such as Smolin, who perceive the universe as an unfolding of dynamic events and processes, are a professional minority. While many scientists treat matter in terms of quantum mechanics, they still define space-time in classical terms. Smolin entered the fray with his dazzling book The Life of The Cosmos (New York: Oxford University Press, 1997), which posed an intriguing question: Could Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection be applied to cosmology and theoretical physics? His answer received critical praise and public attention.

The centerpiece to Lee Smolin's answer to how cosmological evolution actually works was his "Theory of Cosmological Natural Selection." The general theory of relativity contended that time and space have a relational structure and that the universe evolves through changing relationships. Astronomers have discovered that chaotic dynamics and self-organizing systems (cycles and feedback loops) influence the evolution of stars and galaxies. Astrobiologists and biochemists have noted that the universe has been defined by narrow "laws" that support life. Smolin's insights about cosmological time merged these streams with theoretical biology and post-quantum mechanics.

Smolin noted that when a black hole reached a state of infinite density/gravitational field, not only was the space beyond its event horizon unobservable, but also time essentially stopped. This configuration of space-time was possibly similar to the Big Bang cosmology and the Big Crunch scenario. If a "singularity" inside a black hole spawned a new universe, then this meant that universes were subject to Darwin's natural selection and self-organizing principles of complex systems. The new "baby" universe would have "laws" that were slight variations of its "parent" universe. Those universes with a greater number of star systems and black holes would create more "baby" universes, as Darwin predicted with biological life-forms, than those that didn't. Eventually the only universes that would survive would also contain stars. They would come into being ex nihilo: no need for an external creator, god or independent observer.

SOURCE: https://web.archive.org/web/20020810234721/http://www.disinfo.com/pages/dossier/id461/pg1/

Back