• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nazi Yeti

FunkyTT

Ephemeral Spectre
I watched a program the other night that mentioned a " Nazi Yeti" . It was shot and brought back on an expedition by a nazi SS unit formed by Himmler , they were looking for evidence that the "Arayan race" originated in Nepal.

Hairs from the taxidermied bear were brought back to UK to be tested by Dr Brian Sykes , who has an interest in cryptozoology. ( sadly he recently died , i just found out on here from Lord Mongrove on the Almasty thread) . The hairs turned out to be a mix of Polar bear and brown bear, a hybrid breed that is a relic population ,msupposedly exctint over 10, 000 years ago !

Itsa funny looking ole bear alright! I can see how in low light , snow blizzards ect, people mistaking it for a "Yeti" . The stuffed nazi bear resides in a museum in Italy .

image.jpeg

I watched a program the other night that mentioned a " Nazi Yeti" . It was shot and brought back on an expedition by a nazi SS unit formed by Himmler , they were looking for evidence that the "Arayan race" originated in Nepal.

Hairs from the taxidermied bear were brought back to UK to be tested by Dr Brian Sykes , who has an interest in cryptozoology. ( sadly he recently died , i just found out on here from Lord Mongrove on the Almasty thread) . The hairs turned out to be a mix of Polar bear and brown bear, a hybrid breed that is a relic population ,msupposedly exctint over 10, 000 years ago !

Itsa funny looking ole bear alright! I can see how in low light , snow blizzards ect, people mistaking it for a "Yeti" . The stuffed nazi bear resides in a museum in Italy .

View attachment 44400
Here is a good account of Ernst Schäfer expedition to Tibet.

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...ion-to-send-zoologist-to-tibet-a-1140669.html

View attachment 44400
There is evidence after DNA tests were done that the creature was put together from bits of a dog and a bear.

"Genetic analysis has found that some of its teeth come from a dog, and the rest of it is a bear."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...behind-heinrich-himmler-s-nazi-yeti-xwdsmkqt0

Can't watch that Dailymotion vid on this crappy old iPad. It's good for Internet/Ebooks/FB, that's it. It supports NO apps . Hate apple. I'm getting a new tablet soon. Amazon Fire I think.... I can watch YouTube on it , so it's not all bad.

What the name of the doc. . .? I can watch it on my fire stick/tv.
Doesn't even show the name, just a "your browser is not supported" msg.

Can't watch that Dailymotion vid on this crappy old iPad. It's good for Internet/Ebooks/FB, that's it. It supports NO apps . Hate apple. I'm getting a new tablet soon. Amazon Fire I think.... I can watch YouTube on it , so it's not all bad.

The only info on the doc is this '

Series 12 Ep 6 -The Nazi Expedition​

From the history channel

Yes you might be right , I may have the DNA samples that came back as relic bear mixed up. Might have come from another Yeti sample and not this stuffed "thing" .
I seem to remember the sample of which you speak was matched to a relic bear which was found in 'Svalbard'.

I can't track it down anywhere else.

This is a good book about the expedition:

Himmler's Crusade by Christopher Hale

The story of Nazi Germany's extraordinary expedition into Tibet in 1938: a non-fiction 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' penetrating Nazism's darkest secret.

In 1938, on the eve of war, a Nazi expedition set out through British India on a mission sponsored by Himmler himself. Its aim was to trace the origins of the Aryan race, high in the sacred mountains of Tibet. The expedition was led by two complex individuals - Ernst Schäfer, a swashbuckling, gun-toting naturalist for whom Nazism promised a short-cut to personal glory, and Bruno Beger, an anthropologist whose racial theories were taken to their logical conclusion in Auschwitz.

Schäfer and Beger soon found themselves battling hostility from the British, being manipulated by the Tibetans and struggling with the primitive conditions in the holy city of Lhasa. Every detail of the expedition was recorded in diaries, letters and secret reports. It was also documented in thousands of extraordinary photographs (some of which are reproduced here for the first time in decades) and on film.

Despite this abundant documentation, the full story of Schäfer's ill-fated expedition has never been told. This encounter between the British and the Nazis so close to the Second World War forms a 'picture in little' of the conflict to come. HIMMLER'S CRUSADE explores the ideological roots of the Nazis' obsession with racial theory and the occult. Using the wealth of primary material as well as his own interviews with Bruno Beger, Christopher Hale has written a fascinating and thought-provoking book that brilliantly evokes this little-known prelude to the unimaginable horror of war.

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/himmlers-crusade-9781446488676

More on the Nazi expedition to Tibet.

... In 1935, Himmler set up a unit within the SS called the Ahnenerbe - or Bureau of Ancestral Heritage - to find out where people from Atlantis had gone after the bolt from the blue and the deluge, and where traces of the great race still remained and could be discovered. In 1938, he sent a team of five Germans to Tibet on this "search operation".

Two of the team's members stood out from the rest. One was Ernst Schafer, a gifted 28-year-old zoologist who had been to the India-China-Tibet border twice earlier. Schafer had joined the SS soon after the Nazi triumph of 1933, long before Himmler became his patron for the Tibet expedition.

Schafer was crazy about hunting and loved to gather trophies in his Berlin home. On one hunting expedition, while attempting to shoot a duck from a boat he and his wife were in, he slipped when taking aim and shot his wife in the head accidentally, killing her.

The second key man was Bruno Beger, a young anthropologist who had joined the SS in 1935. Beger would take measurements of the skulls and facial details of Tibetans and make face masks, he said, "especially to collect material about the proportions, origins, significance and development of the Nordic race in this region".

The ship carrying the five Germans docked at Colombo in Sri Lanka early in May 1938. From there, they took another one to Madras (now Chennai) and a third one to Calcutta (now Kolkata).

British authorities in India were wary of the travelling Germans and thought them spies. They were initially reluctant to allow them to pass through India and the then British-run Times of India even ran the accusatory headline: "A Gestapo Agent in India". The British political officer in Gangtok, in the north-eastern Indian state of Sikkim, which was an independent mountain kingdom at the time, was also not enthusiastic about granting the men entry into Tibet through Sikkim.

But ultimately, the Nazi team's resolve won. By the end of the year, the five Germans, with swastika flags tied to their mules and baggage, had entered Tibet.

The swastika was a ubiquitous sign in Tibet, known locally as "yungdrung". Schafer and the team would have seen plenty of it during their time in India too where, among Hindus, it had long been a symbol of good fortune. Even today, the symbol is visible outside homes, inside temples, at street corners and on the backs of tempos and trucks. ...

Vaibhav Purandare is the author of Hitler And India: The Untold Story of His Hatred For the Country And Its People, published by Westland Books

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-58466528

The swastika is a reversal of the symbol for samsara. Samsara refers to reincarnation.

Also, Aryan is or was not a race of people. Aryan refers to the qualities a person has regardless of race and literally means 'one who knows the true purpose of life' which in context was spiritual, and not a physical attribute. This is mentioned numerous times in books like the MahaBharat, Ramayana and thought out the Vedas.

Both men and women could be known as Aryans.

I think the confusion came about because the warrior class of men, known as ksatryas, mentioned in those books were called Aryans and their life when not fighting was devoted to serving God either as Maha Visnu or Krishna.

The swastika is a reversal of the symbol for samsara. Samsara refers to reincarnation.

Also, Aryan is or was not a race of people. Aryan refers to the qualities a person has regardless of race and literally means 'one who knows the true purpose of life' which in context was spiritual, and not a physical attribute. This is mentioned numerous times in books like the MahaBharat, Ramayana and thought out the Vedas.

Both men and women could be known as Aryans.

I think the confusion came about because the warrior class of men, known as ksatryas, mentioned in those books were called Aryans and their life when not fighting was devoted to serving God either as Maha Visnu or Krishna.
Although this is good research and is quite true. The the Nazi's conducted the worse was and the most murderous war in history. People won't forgot the Nazi pageantry, parades and swastikas' flying from the Pyrenees to an area in the USSR the size of the USA east f Mississippi. Basically this is what the swastika will stand for and not so much the reverse one from the east. Just ask my mus side (emigrated from Britain after the war. God they hate Germans. BTW the country f Germany is wonderful now a wonderful visit a few years back. Sorry if I've wandered abit.

Yes you might be right , I may have the DNA samples that came back as relic bear mixed up. Might have come from another Yeti sample and not this stuffed "thing" .
I believe I saw the program you are remembering, where they (researchers, not Nazis) took samples from some relic in Tibet (or Nepal, maybe?) and it came back as a hybrid bear. I think that relic was a supposed Yeti scalp, not the object pictured. Sorry I'm no help on remembering what the program was called, but there was definitely no Nazis in it!

Interestingly, they have found brown/polar bear hybrids on the west coast of Alaska and Canada. They just look like slightly dis-proportioned brown bears.

Here is the object I think the bear result came from, cant find the program.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/saga-of-the-yeti-hand

(edited: spelling)
(edit 2: add link)

The bear link is kind of amazing, actually. Not that it might be a Yeti, but that it might be a relic hybrid extinct bear remains! That's why I remember the program.

Bears are known to eerily resemble humans, (or at least primates) once they have been skinned, and their paws look suspiciously like human hands as well, minus the claws.

In fact, just awhile ago out here, someone dumped dozens of "hands" in a ditch. It took some investigation to determine they were bear paws. (Sadly and disgustingly poached... :mad:)

I believe I saw the program you are remembering, where they (researchers, not Nazis) took samples from some relic in Tibet (or Nepal, maybe?) and it came back as a hybrid bear. I think that relic was a supposed Yeti scalp, not the object pictured. Sorry I'm no help on remembering what the program was called, but there was definitely no Nazis in it!

Interestingly, they have found brown/polar bear hybrids on the west coast of Alaska and Canada. They just look like slightly dis-proportioned brown bears.

I watched the same programme, and cannot remember the name either, pretty sure it was a 'history channel' or 'animal planet' production shown on one of the freeview channels, 'Blaze' probably.

Last edited:
I have seen photos in books of what was said to be a yeti scalp. Though as I recall it was a forgery, made with goat skin.

I've seen the prog about he yeti scalp too. Destination Truth if i remember correctly. I used to love that show! Wish it was still online. They had some great adventures. ... The scalp has been on a few docs I'm sure.

The recent doc I saw on blaze deffo took DNA from the " nazi yeti/bear" and it deffo came back as a relic hybrid.

It was on Blaze channels few week ago.

I've just joined the local library. Will see if Himmlers Crusade is in..... Sounds v interesting. Thanks Ramonmercado.

Compared to the Hollow earth interests this seems tame.

"Lukewarm Nazi collects in Tibet"

Id heard of hollow earth before , but not the Nazi Yeti.

Your post seems a bit sarcastic. I may be wrong.

It's comments like this which put newbies off starting threads

Id heard of hollow earth before , but not the Nazi Yeti.

Your post seems a bit sarcastic. I may be wrong.

It's comments like this which put newbies off starting threads

That's harsh.

Isn't it comments like that which might put people off, rather than something said in wry humour?

That's harsh.
Isn't it comments like that which might put people off, rather than something said in wry humour?
As harsh as casting shade on a thread topic by comparing it to an unrelated subject? I think not - especially if the "wry humour" is left un-flagged so as to be possibly - even reasonably - construed as a put-down.

Neither does "wry humour" justify the frivolous extended tangent about sharks foisted upon this thread, which has now been flushed into the void.

If all you can contribute to a thread is drive-by dismissal or distracting horseplay, maybe it's best you keep it to yourself.

I've seen the prog about he yeti scalp too. Destination Truth if i remember correctly. I used to love that show! Wish it was still online. They had some great adventures. ... The scalp has been on a few docs I'm sure.

The recent doc I saw on blaze deffo took DNA from the " nazi yeti/bear" and it deffo came back as a relic hybrid.

It was on Blaze channels few week ago.
I remember watching the same show, I'm pretty sure the samples they took from the 'Nazi Yeti' came back as too degraded to get a DNA sample, the samples which returned DNA sample as 'relic bear'were from the samples from Bhutan, which matched a sample from an extinct bear discovered in Svalbard.

"In the latest analysis, he looked at hairs from two animals, one found in the western Himalayan region of Ladakh and the other from Bhutan, 800 miles away. The objective, he said, was to give the samples a thorough scientific examination. "These creatures are under the umbrella of cryptozoology and the last 50 years have been off-limits to science – it's been handed over to a more eccentric fringe over the last 50 years."

Sykes examined a gene in the mitochondrial DNA from the hair samples. Mitochondria are the tiny powerhouses in biological cells, turning food into the type of energy required for the body to carry out its functions. They are passed down from mothers and have a small genome that can be examined to map out the how a specimen might be related to other specimens.

Specifically, Sykes's team looked at the 12S RNA gene, something that has already been analysed in all known mammalian species. By comparing his samples with those in GenBank, the international repository of gene sequences, Sykes was able to identify the animals that the hair might have from. "In the case of these two yeti samples that we're talking about, they matched a sequence in the GenBank from a polar bear jaw found in Svalbard, which is at least 40,000 years old." This was around the time that the polar bear and the related brown bear were separating into different species."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/17/yeti-dna-ancient-polar-bear-scientists

View attachment 44400
The yeti is no bear. It walks on two legs habitually. It has a flat gorilla-like face lacking the bear's muzzle. It's ears are on the side of it's head not the top. It's shoulder bones face outwards not downwards like the quadrupedal. This gives it wide shoulders, unlike the bear that has sloping shoulders when it stands up. The yeti has opposable thumbs and can hurl rocks and swing clubs. Some confusion may stem from the term Duz-teh, meaning 'hulking thing' and applied to both the brown bear and the yeti. The yeti is clearly come kind of primate, either a great ape or a relic hominin.

Back