• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Necrolog (Deaths Of Folks Who Had Impact On The Fortean World)

I didn't realise that Jeremy Beadle was buried in Highgate Cemetery.

uibsiekk91i41.jpg

It appears that writer Daniel Cohen's death in 2018 has been missed here. Cohen was a former editor of the defunct magazine Science Digest in the 1960's, I believe, and later helped found the skeptic's group CISCOP (although he later withdrew from it, disagreeing with much of their tactics, evidently). Cohen wrote books mainly aimed at younger people, but some for adults as well. Some(very few sample titles) include Myths of the Space Age (1967), A Modern Look at Monsters (1970), The Great Airship Mystery:A UFO of the 1890s, (1981), and The Encyclopedia of Monsters (1982), amongst many more. Cohen suffered a stroke circa 2011, and never really recovered from it. He was 82 when he passed, and seemed a truly nice fellow from my correspondence with him, despite our not agreeing on most issues. RIP, fellow, if belatedly.

Am saddened to report the passing of ufologist Ted Phillips, 10 of March, 2020 at age 78. Ted was perhaps best-known for his Physical Traces Associated with UFOs: A Preliminary Catalgoue (1975), with regular updates since issued then. Ted was an assistant to Dr. J. Allen Hynek at the U..S. Air Force's Project Bluebook initially in the 1960's, and after its conclusion in 1969, continued on as-such to Dr. Hynek's passing in 1986. Ted helped Dr. Hynek establish his Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) in the 1970's, and also took part in the United Nations meeting on UFOs in 28 November, 1978, an event which also involved Dr. Hynek, U. S. astronaut Gordon Cooper, Dr. Stanton Friedman, Dr. Jacques Vallee, and 1970's UFO sighting witness then- United States Army Lt. Colonel Lawrence Coyne. Ted is survived b y his wife, Ginger, along with a number of their beloved animal friends. My condolences to Ginger, and I am sure many here join me in wishing her the same.

Canadian ufologist and early UFO artist Gene Duplantier died at the age of 94, on December 17, 2019.

Duplantier, whose illustrations grace the pages of several classic saucer publications, was the editor of the UFO magazine Saucers, Space and Science. In The Night Mutilators, he presented a round-up of cases up to 1980. This book contains plenty of unsettling details about various abduction and mutilation incidents, culminating with the incidents in New Mexico, around the Dulce area, as investigated by researcher Gabe Valdez.

http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2020/03/Duplantier-obit.html

Sorry to know Gene has passed through the veil. I had contact with him from time to time over the years, and always found him a cordial, and kind gentleman, as well as somebody who contributed a good deal of valuable work to the field both as an author and editor. RIP, Gene.

Am sorry to learn of Sherry Steiger's passing as well, I would be remiss if I did not add. Hope they are together again now.

Ted Phillips, one of the most respected UFO researchers in the US has passed away at age 78. I had the honor of interviewing Ted by phone about 10 years ago. At that time he was hard at work investigating a site in MIssouri called Marley Woods. Here is Kevin Randle's recent article:

https://kevinrandle.blogspot.com/2020/03/ted-phillips-has-died.html

I found a link to an article originally posted on the old Department 47 discussion site here:

https://anomalien.com/hard-ufo-evidence-the-ted-phillips-story/

I hope that responsible people come forward to take charge of the storehouse of artifacts Ted accumulated over the years. He probably has the definitive collection of physical trace case evidence, dating all the way back to Socorro.

It seems here hasn't been any discussion of Rosemary Ellen Guiley's death 22 of July, 2019@ the age of 69 from what seems to have been a fairly-sudden recurrence of cancer. Rosemary was probably better-known in recent years for her appearances on such television series as Paranormal Caught on Camera, (sixteen episodes) and an earlier series, Lost Tapes (2009-2010). I am unsure how much Paranormal... has regularly been seen in the UK. I would assume quite a bit, though, as much footage of UFOs, and other subjects such as haunted houses/mansions, and other Fortean phenomena from the UK show up frequently here. Guiley also appeared in two horror films, Requiem for a Vampire, (2006), and Dreams of the Dead/The Haunting of Danbury House (2007), as well as scripting such documentaries such as Children of the Grave (2009), among many other television appearances. She was also the author of fifty-plus books dealing with the unknown in general. These included The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits (2007), The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology, (2009) Monsters of West Virginia: Mysterious Creatures in the Mountain State (2012), and Slips in Time and Space, (2019), although some of these maybe be later, revised editions. I did not always agree with the lady's conclusions, but she certainly contributed a great deal to Fortean literature, as this is a VERY limited sampling of her writings. Guiley was also associated with the long-running U.S. Fortean/occult magazine Fate (founded in 1947 by Ray Palmer (as "Robert N. Webster," until selling his share in the magazine around 1955), and Curtis G. Fuller, for some years. Ms. Guiley has possibly been replaced on the series Paranormal... by folklorist Lynne McNeil. If something positive cane be said about her passing, I am happy your suffering has ended, Ms. Guiley.

Quick addenda on Fate magazine, since I mentioned in Rosemary Guiley's obituary. it IS still issued, although only seems able to manage 2, or three issue per-year rather than the six it is supposed to publish. The digital-era hasn't been kind to so many print publications. On Ray Palmer, he used the Robert N. Webster name originally as he was still employed by Ziff-Davis publications when Fate first saw light of day. Curtis Fuller died in 1991, followed soon by spouse and co-editor Mary Margaret Fuller the following year. Slightly off-topic perhaps, but the issues up to 1959 had the best covers, very pulp-magazine- like in nature, garish and lurid by most modern standards, but certainly eye-catching. The "respectable" lettered-covers it bore for many years after were much less-attractive, but, still, the magazine reached its peak in sales in the late 1960's, it seems. It again uses full-cover artwork today, when an issue can be managed.

Agree with you in-re to Ted Phillips's collection. I suspect he made arrangements for it to go to MUFON, though, so I think there are no worries there.

Astronaut U.S. Air Force Colonel (Retired),, Alfred "Al" Worden, Command Module Pilot on the 1971 Apollo 15 mission, died 17th March, 2020, age 88. Worden orbited the Moon 74 times in Command Module Endeavour while his companions, mission Commander David Scott, and the late James B. Irwin, Pilot of the Lunar Lander Falcon, spent nearly 67 hours on the Lunar surface. Worden performed an extra-vehicular space walk while on the way home to retrieve cameras left on the outer surface of the spacecraft, the first such to be done at a great distance from any planetary body. Worden's views on extraterrestrial life warrant him an obituary here, I believe, as when asked about this on the UK news program Good Morning Britain (29th September, 2017), Worden said that he believed humanity had descended from "ancient aliens," to use a term now popular, and cited ancient Sumerian oddities, and legends as evidence of this. Colonel Worden was among several astronauts who have expressed positive views on either UFOs, or related subjects, including the late Gordon Cooper, the late Edgar Mitchell, and others. RIP, Colonel -- I hope all of your questions have now been answered about the mysteries of our existence.

Although Richard Winer died in 2016, his passing seems not to have been noted on the Forum here. Born 14th of May, 1925, Winer died 11 October, 2016, age 91. Winer contributed several works dealing with mysteries of the sea, starting with The Devil's Triangle (1974); The Devil's Triangle 2 (1976), and From the Devil's Triangle to the Devil's Jaw (1977), all from Bantam Books in the U.S. With Nancy Osborn Ishmael, he wrote several works on ghosts, Haunted Houses (1979), More Haunted Houses, (1981), and by himself, Houses of Horror, (1983), all again from Bantam Books, in the US. His final work appeared after a long gap, Ghost Ships in 2000. The 1973 documentary film The Devil's Triangle was largely based on his own work leading to his later books,and was narrated by Vincent Price. Winer was known for owning one of the largest collections of vintage autos in the United States. A certain grim irony was that Winer served in World War 2, apparently coming through relatively unscathed; then, undesirable criminal elements began appearing in his Florida retirement city. After leading opposition to this sort of activities, Winer was rewarded for his efforts (some decades ago, if memory serves, possibly the late 1980's/early 1990's period), with an ignition bomb in his auto, which pretty much ruined one of his legs, although he survived reasonably intact for victims of such a device otherwise. Contrary to some online information, Winer did believe in supernatural events, or unexplained occurrences in various places, as his ghost works obviously show, although he was not as sensational as many others who wrote about the Devil's Triangle (or Bermuda) Triangle region in the 1970's, in particular. Having had some contact with him, Winer seemed a cordial enough old boy, and was good enough to sign some items of his for me. I do hope the more traumatic events in his life have not prevented him from resting in peace.

Being that Martian Landau received mention here, I thought I would make note the passing of U.S. actor Stuart Whitman on 16 March @ age 92. Whitman appeared in several films which would likely be of some interest to many here, including early appearances in both George Pal's When Worlds Collide and Robert Wise's The Day the Earth Stood Still, both 1951, and un-credited bit-appearances. Much later, he co-starred in Irwin Allen's 1971 failed TV pilot-film The City Beneath the Sea, and the infamous sf/horror film Night of the Lepus the following year. Whitman appeared in a much-better TV-film in 1973, Robert Bloch's The Cat Creature, starring Meredith Baxter. Other films include Ruby (1977), Demonoid (1981), and The Monster Club that same year. Ruby involves a haunted drive-in theater, which, for non-Americans, was an outdoors theater in-which people could drive into, and watch the films from their autos, if not young people otherwise engaged, an institution which has now largely-disappeared from the U.S. landscape. Some television appearances include an episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery in 1972 (involving a captured mermaid), as well as episodes of the original Fantasy Island several times, and once on Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected. The only such effort he appears to have regretted was Night of the Lepus, not surprisingly,I suspect given that film's rather poor-quality. Many of his films, and TV appearances were either "westerns," or war dramas, although he was just able to miss combat duty in WW II. RIP, Stuart.

Thought I would mention the passing of actress Andree Melly at age 87 on 31 January, 2020, in Spain. Ms. Melly is probably best-known, at least in the U.S., as the ill-fated "Gina" in The Brides of Dracula (1960), with the great Peter Cushing as Doctor Van Helsing, the best Dr. Van Helsing of them all, I believe. She also appeared in the 1964 horror/comedy, The Horror of It All with Pat Boone, of all people, as well as the "Ancient Sorceries" episode of UK series, Tales of Mystery, which I gather was based entirely on the works of Algernon Blackwood. She does not seem to have credits of especial interest here, and seems to have retired from acting in 1990. Her passing appears to leave only one, or two major players who were at least young adults in 1959/1960 period, from The Brides of Dracula (Yvonne Monlaur passed in 2017, regretfully).

He had wife and four kids. Looks like they haven't visited the grave since he died.

Bit of a harsh assumption.

It doesn't take long before stone gets discoloured and winter is just coming to an end.

Bit of a harsh assumption.

It doesn't take long before stone gets discoloured and winter is just coming to an end.

Nah, I know a neglected gravestone when I see one and nobody's been NEAR that.
I'd love to get over there and give it a scrub!

Unexpectedly found myself with time to come online again awhile today.

In reply to Frideswide, the film The Horror of It All from 1964, is actually fairly-good; had the chance to see it lately.

On the matter of neglected tombstones, some burial grounds in my own generally area have fallen, and/or broken tombstones. It seems to depend in part on cemetery policy as well as the families. One such has been making overdue efforts to correct some of these problems, and a salute to them for-same.

About brad Steiger, his 2011 book The Werewolf Book:the Encyclopedia of Shape-Shifting Beings is worth some attention. It covers both cryptids, beings from legend, and cinema as well, for those who haven't seen it. Worth a look, certainly.

That's as may be--and it would be nice if it were cleaned--but I just don't want to say 'his family don't care about him' before that's known for sure.

We'll never know so it doesn't matter.
Anyway, you'd think whoever cared enough to erect that rather splendid monument would want it to stay presentable.

Both smooch around West London so I'm not surprised there are no articles about them. JB hardly fitted the bill as being part of the upper-class Knightsbridge set.

John Tomikel publisher of The Creature by Jan Klement passed away today [May 20, 2020].

He was a teacher, a storyteller, and a friend. He never got to see the finished documentary – Mountain Devil 2 which is based on The Creature. He was 92. 1928 – 2020 ~ Ryan Cavalline, Legend Hunters, Facebook announcement.

John C. Tomikel, PhD., age 92, of Summit passed away on Wednesday, May 20, 2020. He was born on April 30, 1928 in Cuddy, PA a son of the late Joseph and Julia (Klement) Tomikel. Both were immigrants from Slovakia, and many close relatives still live there.John received his Bachelor of Science degree from Clarion University in 1950. After graduation he served as a corporal in the U.S. Army in Germany as a member of the ballistics meteorology teaching staff. John went on to receive his Masters of Literature from the University of Pittsburgh in 1956, his Masters of Science from Syracuse University in 1962 and his Doctorate from the University of Pittsburgh in 1972. He was a member of Gamma Theta Epsilon, the honorary geographical society.John was a teacher for all of his professional life, first as a high school teacher in Fairview then as a professor of Earth Sciences at California University of PA. and later at Edinboro University. He was an author having published several books.He was an avid outdoorsman and wild food enthusiast. For many years he was actively involved with Nature Wonder Weekend in West Virginia. He was inducted into the National Wild Foods Hall of Fame. ...

The Mystery of Jan Klement

Who was John C. Tomikel? How is he related to the question, who is “Jan Klement”?
The question as to the identification of the author of The Creature (1976) has been around for years. It was first brought to my attention by my friend and research associate, the late Mark A. Hall in the 1970s.

Was Klement an earth sciences professor? A biology professor? A high school science teacher? Is he still alive? Did he ever exist? Did he see what he says he saw happening between a cow and a Bigfoot?

I once wrote that Jan Klement is the “Deep Throat” of the Bigfoot field. ...

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/tomikel-obit/

Back