• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Necrolog (Deaths Of Folks Who Had Impact On The Fortean World)

Space 1999 or Cosmos 1999 as it was called on French TV in the 70's, was one of our favourites series my sister, cousins and I. We used to climb apple trees and pretend they were Eagles going on scary planets. My youngest cousin was inevitably the monster!
I liked the actors, especially the Professor I found funny at the time. RIP Martin Landau. His name means Pram in french and that made me laugh too!

Space 1999 or Cosmos 1999 as it was called on French TV in the 70's, was one of our favourites series my sister, cousins and I. We used to climb apple trees and pretend they were Eagles going on other planet. My youngest cousin was inevitably the monster!
I liked the actors, especially the Professor I found funny at the time. RIP Martin Landau. His name means Pram in french and that made me laugh too!

When I was living in Toronto, the actor who played the Professor (Barry Morse) lived downtown. He was working on various television shows as a narrator and also he did a lot of voice work. He used to ride his old bike all over the place at night, he was very popular with everybody, very charismatic.

When I was living in Toronto, the actor who played the Professor (Barry Morse) lived downtown. He was working on various television shows as a narrator and also he did a lot of voice work. He used to ride his old bike all over the place at night, he was very popular with everybody, very charismatic.
I see that for a while before he moved to Canada, Barry Morse lived in Peterborough, UK. Interesting to me as I lived there about 16 years ago.

I see that for a while before he moved to Canada, Barry Morse lived in Peterborough, UK. Interesting to me as I lived there about 16 years ago.

He really was a great guy. Charming, witty, urbane, courteous, modest, soft-spoken, you know the kind. He had "presence", just walking quietly through a mall would make people notice him. There used to be a vast shopping complex downtown called the Eaton Centre, he would sometimes stroll through there, and when people recognized him ("You were excellent in The Fugitive!") he would just smile and shrug ("You have an excellent memory, that was so terribly long ago.") And he didn't mind at all talking about his career, he seemed to have endless stories and anecdotes, a brilliant natural raconteur.

A tribute from the Aero Theater in Los Angeles
AeroTheaterLA.jpg

i missed martin landaus sad passing until just now ... a little known and quite fortean early film of his, welcome home johnny bristol, known by me as charles, vermont, is equal parts jacobs ladder and transdimensional gas station ... also incredible in crimes and misdemeanours woody allens strongest flick for me RIP

She saw her own death coming, well, sort of: The fortune teller had previously said she would die at an early age from heart failure, but was not worried as she would be "very pretty" in her next life

A Burmese fortune teller who advised some of South East Asia's most rich and powerful figures has died aged 58.

Family members told local media that Swe Swe Win, known as ET, died of natural causes on Sunday.

Her clients reportedly included former Burmese leader Than Shwe and former Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra, as well as ministers and wealthy business leaders.

She could not hear or speak so communicated with her clients in writing or through assistants.

Fortune telling and astrology are still widely trusted in Myanmar (formerly known as Burma) and ET - or E Thi - was one of the country's most famous soothsayers. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41224643

You are here: Home / Wildlife Biologist and Sasquatch Researcher John Bindernagel Dies
Wildlife Biologist and Sasquatch Researcher John Bindernagel Dies
John-Bindernagel-Bigfoot.jpg

John Bindernagel, 76, passed away during the evening of January 17, 2018.

John was a great friend to many in the field. I remember talking birds with him when we were together at Craig Woolheater’s conference in Texas, of Bigfoot at Beachfoot in Oregon, and about Sasquatch when at John Green’s tribute in British Columbia. His legacy will be profound.

unnamed-300x124.jpg

Texas Bigfoot Conference 2002

John Bindernagel, Bobby Hamilton, Loren Coleman, Chester Moore

Photo: Craig Woolheater

On January 8, 2018, Bindernagel informed his “circle of friends…of just how imminent” his death may be. “After two years of cancer chemotherapy and a year of radiation treatment,…my own terminal cancer is now restricted to pain management.”

For the last few days, Bigfoot community individuals have been sending messages to online forums and lists telling of their great respect for this gentle man.

Bindernagel-300x167.jpg

John in 2018

John A. Bindernagel was a wildlife biologist, since 1963. He published a book in 1998 entitled North America’s Great Ape: the Sasquatch, and later in 2010, The Discovery of Bigfoot.

Bindernagel born in 1941, grew up in Ontario, attended the University of Guelph and received a PhD in Biology from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He moved to British Columbia in 1975, largely because the region was a hot spot for Bigfoot sightings. Over the years, he collected casts of tracks that he felt belonged to Bigfoot. He also claimed to have heard the creature near Comox Lake in 1992, comparing its whooping sound to that of a chimpanzee. Bindernagel considered that the Bigfoot phenomena should receive more attention from serious scientists, but once remarked, “The evidence doesn’t get scrutinized objectively. We can’t bring the evidence to our colleagues because it’s perceived as tabloid.”

He penned the following about himself:

I am a professional wildlife biologist who is seriously studying the sasquatch or bigfoot in North America. My interest in this animal began in 1963 when, as a third-year-student in wildlife management at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada, I was laughed at for raising the report of an animal described as an “ape-man” for possible discussion. My field work began in 1975 when our family moved to British Columbia, partly in order for me to begin field work on this species. In 1988, my wife and I found several sasquatch tracks in good condition in the mountains not far from our home on Vancouver Island. Plaster casts which we made from these tracks provided the first physical evidence for the existence of the sasquatch. Wildlife biologists such as myself regularly depend on tracks and other wildlife sign as evidence for the presence of bears, deer, wolves, and other mammals, recognizing that tracks constitute a more reliable and persistent record of the presence of a mammal species in an area than a fleeting glimpse of the animal itself. I am satisfied that the sasquatch is an extant (or “real”) animal, subject to study and examination like any other large mammal, and am much more concerned with addressing ecological questions such as how it overwinters in the colder regions of North America, than with dwelling on the controversy of whether it does or does not exist. I remain aware, however, that many people—including scientific colleagues—remain unaware of the information that exists about this species.

Bindernagel Speaks Out Against “Squatch” & “Squatching”
Before his death, Bindernagel registered the following complaint against the casual shortening of the term, Sasquatch:

I would be remiss if I did not register my disappointment at the recent and increasingly widespread use of the terms “squatch,” and “squatching,” which denigrates the Halcolmelm (Coast Salish) name Sasq‘ets, anglicized many years ago as “sasquatch,” and which has been more-or-less accepted by the relevant Aboriginal people. ...

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/bindernagel-obit/

Science Fiction Author Ursula K. Le Guin Is Dead At 88

Ursula K. LeGuin, the best-selling author of beloved science fiction and fantasy novels like The Left Hand Of Darkness and the Earthsea series, has died at her home in Portland, Oregon. She was 88.

She is survived by her husband, son, two daughters, two brothers, and four grandchildren.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/...ed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html

maximus otter

Sad news:

GUY LYON PLAYFAIR (1935 – 2018):
Obituary Notice

By Alan Murdie

It is with great regret and sorrow we record the death of psychical researcher Guy Lyon Playfair who died in London early on 8th April 2018, at the age of 83.

Born in Quetta India, the son of Major General Ian Playfair and novelist Jocelyn Playfair he was educated in England and studied modern languages at Cambridge. After National Service as a translator with the RAF in Iraq, he pursued a career in journalism and working for Life magazine. In the early 1960s he moved to Rio de Janeiro where he worked for the next 10 years as a freelance journalist for a number of international business magazines, The Economist, Time, The Guardian and Associated Press. He also served for four years with the press corps of the US Agency for International Development (USAID).

It was during his time in Brazil. in the late 1960s, that he became interested in paranormal, following direct experience with a psychic healer. Initially, sceptical he was satisfied from first-hand observations that psi phenomena existed in the country and began studying the subject in depth. In 1973 he investigated a poltergeist outbreak in a private apartment in Sao Paolo where he succeeded in capturing unexplained rapping sounds on tape. He joined the British Society for Psychical Research the same year and was also became a member of the Ghost Club. On his return to Britain in 1974 he wrote the first of a series of best-selling books on psychic topics. He also translated into English a large number of original texts on psychic experiences from Latin America previously available only Spanish and Portuguese.​

Continued:
https://europaranormal.com/poltergeists/guy-lyon-playfair-1935-2018-obituary-notice/

The well-known investigator of monsters, mysteries, Fortean phenomena, UFOs, the Heaven’s Gate cult, conspiracies, and so much more, author Brad Steiger, 82, of Mason City, Iowa, died on Sunday, May 6, 2018, at the Muse Norris Hospice Inpatient Unit, according to the Major Erickson Funeral Home.

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/steiger-obit/

Aww, no. I loved his books. My first UFO book was one of his.
RIP, Brad.

The well-known investigator of monsters, mysteries, Fortean phenomena, UFOs, the Heaven’s Gate cult, conspiracies, and so much more, author Brad Steiger, 82, of Mason City, Iowa, died on Sunday, May 6, 2018, at the Muse Norris Hospice Inpatient Unit, according to the Major Erickson Funeral Home.

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/steiger-obit/

R.I.P. Brad. Have you reached Heaven's Gate? If so, let us know!

Sorry to learn that Brad Steiger has Departed the Physical Vehicle, although if he made it into his 80s, we should all rejoice that he lived a long life.

I'm showing my age, but I have many fond memories of Brad's books, which often keep me company on lonely nights.

One that I knew of back in the late 1960s, Flying Saucers Are Hostile, I finally got a copy of within the past year or so, and it was a real joy to read.

While I think that The Rainbow Conspiracy, one of Brad and Sherry Hansen Steiger's joint works, got a bit too far fetched, I'd say that on the whole Brad, as a solo writer, and later with Sherry made some valuable contributions to UFOlogy.

Sorry to learn that Brad Steiger has Departed the Physical Vehicle, although if he made it into his 80s, we should all rejoice that he lived a long life.

I'm showing my age, but I have many fond memories of Brad's books, which often keep me company on lonely nights.

One that I knew of back in the late 1960s, Flying Saucers Are Hostile, I finally got a copy of within the past year or so, and it was a real joy to read.

While I think that The Rainbow Conspiracy, one of Brad and Sherry Hansen Steiger's joint works, got a bit too far fetched, I'd say that on the whole Brad, as a solo writer, and later with Sherry made some valuable contributions to UFOlogy.
The very first UFO book I got was one of his.

It's sad that Mr Friedman, like J A Hynek before him, was never given any definitive answers despite all his hard work.

It's sad that Mr Friedman, like J A Hynek before him, was never given any definitive answers despite all his hard work.

I think that for many people long beating less-trodden paths it is a mix of hope and consolation that means they never quit or retire: the former is a combination of the remote but twinkling hope that a breakthrough could be tantalisingly near and the fear that you may be giving up yards from the invisible finishing-line; the latter is a faith that even if you personally never reach the goal, you may have inspired a few others to take up the torch and carry on after you are dust.

Last edited:
I'm always impressed by the determination and will of these people to pursue these subjects, no matter what I might feel about them myself.
People like Richard Dolan and John Greenwald somehow manage to retain their enthusiasm despite little return in physical evidence.
I know that both of them have uncovered government documents that show the main authorities on and off attitude to the subject, but I'm not sure we're any nearer getting a simple answer.

Back