• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Need Help: 1960/65 Epoch Soviet Antarctic Discovery Of Ancient Amphora

Gambeir

Devoted Cultist
I am trying to locate information on what I think was a Soviet Team in Antarctic in 1965 that stumbled on some ancient amphora pottery filled with artifacts. This discovery was recorded in News Papers of the time. I've seen a clipping but have lost the link to the story. I cannot find any references to this now.

This team might have been Australian or on there way to an Australian Camp, or the might have been a New Zealand team, I just cannot recall but was told recently that it was a Soviet team which made the discovery. The story however I do recall. This team became somewhat lost, either trying to go to another base camp or coming from some other base camp. Hence the confusion in my own mind about who made this discovery and so forth. At any rate, if I recall correctly, someone fell in a crevasse and while extracting them, as they had life lines naturally, the person being winched up spotted some brass or bronze amphora pottery. This all took place in the first half of the 1960's and as I say it was reported in print media.

Can anyone help with this?

I am trying to locate information on what I think was a Soviet Team in Antarctic in 1965 that stumbled on some ancient amphora pottery filled with artifacts. This discovery was recorded in News Papers of the time. I've seen a clipping but have lost the link to the story. I cannot find any references to this now.

This team might have been Australian or on there way to an Australian Camp, or the might have been a New Zealand team, I just cannot recall but was told recently that it was a Soviet team which made the discovery. The story however I do recall. This team became somewhat lost, either trying to go to another base camp or coming from some other base camp. Hence the confusion in my own mind about who made this discovery and so forth. At any rate, if I recall correctly, someone fell in a crevasse and while extracting them, as they had life lines naturally, the person being winched up spotted some brass or bronze amphora pottery. This all took place in the first half of the 1960's and as I say it was reported in print media.

There's an amphora alright but it's a living creature:

https://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/biodiversity/taxon_profile.cfm?taxon_id=114599

Reactions: Jim
...while extracting them, as they had life lines naturally, the person being winched up spotted some brass or bronze amphora pottery.
If it's brass or bronze, is it pottery?
Brass or bronze would make it relatively recent.

This would be an amazing find. Antarctica has never been inhabited permanently and has only had temporary occupants since WW2 (aside from some ill fated attempts earlier). It been covered by a ice for millions of years. It did support a somewhat tropical climate but that was during the Mesozoic era if my memory doesn't fail me.

Back