Neil Gaiman's American Gods 2017 Trailer

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
You are currently making me rethink my decision not to get Amazon Prime.

Presuming that the first series covers the entirity of the book, yes it should all get tied up by the end of the series with some time to do some wrapping up of a couple of loose ends.

As for it lacking focus, part of that is due to the way the book is set up. As I said in my early post there are a lot of things that happen that don't seem to be that important at the time they happen but are revealed to be fairly important later on when things are as neatly tied up as they can be.

If it doesn't scare you off before the end I would suggest that you rewatch it soon after you finish watching it the first time round. Hopefully with the second watch through you will then see how the various strands tie together.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
AFAIK there's only 8 episodes in season 1 out of a planned 5 seasons, looks like they're aiming to end season one on the House on the Rock meeting... a long time since I read the book but it's not that far in?

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
Yeah that could roughly be called the end of the first act. At that point somethings should start making some sense. Don't expect everything to to be tied up until the very end of the last series though GNC if this series does not cover the entire novel.

And from the sounds of it they are adding quite a bit onto the story if they are planning on taking it through 5 Series.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The House on the Rock was referenced right at the end. Oh well, that was that, I'm a little the wiser and it was well enough produced (v. slick), but I'm not sure it was an artistic success, when you started to think about it the waters of clarity grew muddier. Still not sure what Gillian Anderson was supposed to be doing (goddess of media?). The multiple Jesuses were amusing.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Oh yeah, with this episode Jeremy Davies has now played Jesus Christ and Charles Manson!

BaronHardacre

Justified & Ancient
Not sure whether it was an intentional fourth wall nod or not, but I got to say I loved how they ended the first season by ending the first season...

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Old gods are hard to kill.

Season 2 premiering on Starz on 10th March - will have to check what else it's on besides illicit download.

Media turning into New Media could work out, given the themes to the show.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :)
Staff member
Love the book! The anniversary audio book is also highly recommended!

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
The House on the Rock was referenced right at the end. Oh well, that was that, I'm a little the wiser and it was well enough produced (v. slick), but I'm not sure it was an artistic success, when you started to think about it the waters of clarity grew muddier. Still not sure what Gillian Anderson was supposed to be doing (goddess of media?). The multiple Jesuses were amusing.
You've probably figured it out now, I thought Anderson's Media was well creepy, very hollow with a sense of being all mask and nothing behind it.

I had expected season 1 to go out on a high with a pivotal event at the House on the Rock, bit miffed they left it on a bit of an odd cliffhanger of sorts, at least for non book readers.

The dead wife/Sweeney stuff went on for way too long for my taste, most of that is new for the show.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
The first season was included with Amazon Prime when it launched - I think they have a deal with Starz, Black Sails was always shown on there at the same time too.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anderson won't be in the second season, she jumped ship along with half the production team, apparently. There might be a reason it's taking so long to come back.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Well, it's back now, with some stuff happening but not much progression, though I appreciated the explanatory monologue from Lovejoy. Obviously very expensive, but hard to like. I see Gaiman co-scripted the episode, so he's still on board. The House on the Rock is a great location, though, surprised it hasn't been used more often.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Wouldn't it have been better casting to get the younger Shadow played by an actor who actually looked like him? Anyway, have to admire the way they're avoiding mentioning Gillian Anderson walked off the show between seasons.