• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods 2017 Trailer

You are currently making me rethink my decision not to get Amazon Prime.

Presuming that the first series covers the entirity of the book, yes it should all get tied up by the end of the series with some time to do some wrapping up of a couple of loose ends.

As for it lacking focus, part of that is due to the way the book is set up. As I said in my early post there are a lot of things that happen that don't seem to be that important at the time they happen but are revealed to be fairly important later on when things are as neatly tied up as they can be.

If it doesn't scare you off before the end I would suggest that you rewatch it soon after you finish watching it the first time round. Hopefully with the second watch through you will then see how the various strands tie together.

AFAIK there's only 8 episodes in season 1 out of a planned 5 seasons, looks like they're aiming to end season one on the House on the Rock meeting... a long time since I read the book but it's not that far in?

Yeah that could roughly be called the end of the first act. At that point somethings should start making some sense. Don't expect everything to to be tied up until the very end of the last series though GNC if this series does not cover the entire novel.

And from the sounds of it they are adding quite a bit onto the story if they are planning on taking it through 5 Series.

The House on the Rock was referenced right at the end. Oh well, that was that, I'm a little the wiser and it was well enough produced (v. slick), but I'm not sure it was an artistic success, when you started to think about it the waters of clarity grew muddier. Still not sure what Gillian Anderson was supposed to be doing (goddess of media?). The multiple Jesuses were amusing.

Oh yeah, with this episode Jeremy Davies has now played Jesus Christ and Charles Manson!

Not sure whether it was an intentional fourth wall nod or not, but I got to say I loved how they ended the first season by ending the first season...

Old gods are hard to kill.

Season 2 premiering on Starz on 10th March - will have to check what else it's on besides illicit download.

Media turning into New Media could work out, given the themes to the show.

Love the book! The anniversary audio book is also highly recommended!

The House on the Rock was referenced right at the end. Oh well, that was that, I'm a little the wiser and it was well enough produced (v. slick), but I'm not sure it was an artistic success, when you started to think about it the waters of clarity grew muddier. Still not sure what Gillian Anderson was supposed to be doing (goddess of media?). The multiple Jesuses were amusing.

You've probably figured it out now, I thought Anderson's Media was well creepy, very hollow with a sense of being all mask and nothing behind it.

I had expected season 1 to go out on a high with a pivotal event at the House on the Rock, bit miffed they left it on a bit of an odd cliffhanger of sorts, at least for non book readers.

The dead wife/Sweeney stuff went on for way too long for my taste, most of that is new for the show.

The first season was included with Amazon Prime when it launched - I think they have a deal with Starz, Black Sails was always shown on there at the same time too.

Anderson won't be in the second season, she jumped ship along with half the production team, apparently. There might be a reason it's taking so long to come back.

Well, it's back now, with some stuff happening but not much progression, though I appreciated the explanatory monologue from Lovejoy. Obviously very expensive, but hard to like. I see Gaiman co-scripted the episode, so he's still on board. The House on the Rock is a great location, though, surprised it hasn't been used more often.

Wouldn't it have been better casting to get the younger Shadow played by an actor who actually looked like him? Anyway, have to admire the way they're avoiding mentioning Gillian Anderson walked off the show between seasons.

I'm glad Emily Browning won't spend more episodes looking dreadful from now on. Unless they find a new way to muss her up.

Too... much... talk... Good to see William Sanderson, though, sort of a mini-Deadwood reunion before the real thing.

Well, Emily Browning takes her clothes off to keep me awake (and Pablo Schrieber is a lot more coy, despite their characters supposedly enjoying each other's intimate company), but this is not really engaging me much. Wondering if I should persevere? A friend of mine keeps telling me there's a point with TV series you never connected with much but you watch because they're popular, where you think, why am I bothering? See also: Westworld.

Too... much... talk...
Well, Emily Browning takes her clothes off to keep me awake (and Pablo Schrieber is a lot more coy, despite their characters supposedly enjoying each other's intimate company), but this is not really engaging me much. Wondering if I should persevere? A friend of mine keeps telling me there's a point with TV series you never connected with much but you watch because they're popular, where you think, why am I bothering?

I agree with you, at times it devolves into talking heads. Faces taking up the entire screen and saying little worth hearing.

It doesn't surprise me that Gillian walked after seeing the final cut of the first series. She was probably embarrassed by it all, I know I was.

It's all style and little substance with seemingly no point, "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Also, enemies meet far too often to leer and pose at one another without furthering the plot one iota.

There is no real threat anywhere and everyone is saying the same things ad nauseum.

It's now at the point where the opening titles are the best bit.

Yes, no real threat! That's a big problem, you're right. All the characters are gods or have superpowers, so there's no stakes, they just try and talk each other into oblivion. There's only so much "arch" a man can take (not that kind of arch).

I've been watching from the beginning also....some good actors in the show but I'm not surprised that Anderson left.
Too much talk and not enough action as already mentioned.
I'm a fan of McShane but even he can't save the show from being boring at times.

Just interested - has anyone been to the House on the Rock in Wisconsin ?

5219-house-on-the-rock-carousel-big.jpg 4918-house-on-the-rock-whale-room.jpg

I read about it first in Donna Kossy's classic tome Kooks, the architect was a real eccentric. I'm not sure I'd like to visit it now, though, it does sound very tourist-y these days.

Actually, although it was yet another flashback episode, it wasn't that bad this week, I even laughed a couple of times. Maybe because Rachel Talalay was directing (she did very fine work on Doctor Who).

I have to say I'm really enjoying this season, seems to be a lot more going on and a lot more new material for the show that wasn't in the books.

McShane really is genius level casting for the old fraud. I can't imagine anyone else who could carry off Odin: The Burlesque Years. :D

Yeah, Lovejoy even has a twinkle in his blind eye, but I just don't care about any of them. Mad Sweeney's history this week... so what?

Oh, er, was that it then? Just sort of cut off without resolving anything. I know there's a third season on the way, but I'm having difficulty getting interested. Preacher did this with better humour.

I've enjoyed this season more than the first, s1 strung out the book material way too much, at least S2 has a lot of and is mostly new content.

Some of the backstory on the characters does get a lot more attention than it needs.

No idea why they feel the need to end both seasons in such a meandering downbeat way, S1 could have ended at the House on the Rock and S2 with Shadow getting to Lakeside and meeting Hinzelmann. Instead they just leave it all hanging.

Really hoping they don't bugger up the bit with the Thunderbirds, which is one of my favourite bits from the book. Probably they will.

Orlando Jones has been fired from season 3:
Orlando news

And he's not happy. Sounds like a real shitshow behind the scenes. Presumably they'll replace him with a small Japanese woman.

I agree with you, at times it devolves into talking heads. Faces taking up the entire screen and saying little worth hearing.

It doesn't surprise me that Gillian walked after seeing the final cut of the first series. She was probably embarrassed by it all, I know I was.

It's all style and little substance with seemingly no point, "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Also, enemies meet far too often to leer and pose at one another without furthering the plot one iota.

There is no real threat anywhere and everyone is saying the same things ad nauseum.

It's now at the point where the opening titles are the best bit.

Gives me a feeling of sitting round an open fire in a thatched log hut listening to the Sagas being related, house after hour...

Keep forgetting to mention this, but it's back for season 3. It was OK, but it still has the tone of a Media Studies student who's caught up in all this new information about their subject and is trying to pack it into an essay. Emily Browning didn't last long, either.

Back