• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nengraphy

MrRING

Android Futureman
Anybody heard of this ability, which I think roughly translating to writing with the mind? I read about it in the following quote:

I was born into a poor farming family. My agricultural chores made it impossible for me to advance beyond elementary school, but I studied on my own whenever I could find time. When I was 16, I had an extraordinary experience: I felt that someone other than myself was acting upon my consciousness. One day I went to a second-hand bookstore in Takayama, where I stumbled upon Fukurai Tomokichi's Clairvoyance and Nengraphy. Thumbing through it, I was astounded to discover descriptions of the very same experiences I had had.

Later, I learned that Fukurai Tomokichi was an assistant professor at Tokyo Imperial University in 1910, when he discovered nengraphy. That discovery was the direct cause of his ouster from the University by perverse, materialist scholars. Since I personally had experienced telepathic phenomena, I knew that Fukurai was right. I felt terribly sorry that he had been so cruelly treated, in spite of the fact that both clairvoyance and nengraphy are genuine. I vowed to embark on a quest for the principles behind both supernatural skills.

I continued with my studies, combining them with my farming duties. My thoughts were continually focused on finding a way to explain clairvoyance and nengraphy. At 7:00 p.m. each evening I would write down any ideas that had occurred to me that day in a notebook. In the spring of my 18th year, I was building ridges in the rice paddies, when the idea of a six-dimensional dialectic came to me. I filled 30 notebooks with my thoughts. Writing them down is a practice I maintain even today, except that I now use manuscript paper instead of notebooks.

There is a documented case in Japan of a valedictory message written on the flesh of a corpse reappearing on the body of an infant. In the U.S., Dr. Ian Stevenson published a book describing his scrupulous studies of 20 children with recollections of past lives. Thus, it would seem that reincarnation actually occurs. However, we know for certain that the DNA (one of the most significant discoveries of the 20th century) of the person who lived the past life is different from that of the person currently alive. Therefore, they are two distinctly different people. Then, what is the significance of memories of past lives? How can this inconsistency be explained?

The answers to these questions can be derived from nengraphy. The discovery of nengraphs, which were consigned to oblivion when Fukurai was driven out of academia, was a momentous one. Fukurai performed numerous successful experiments with a gifted clairvoyant named Mita Koichi. One of them involved placing two photographic plates one meter apart, and having Mita project the Chinese characters for sincerity on both of them at once. Mita felt that he had been successful in transmitting the characters. But when the plates were checked and no images were found on them, both men assumed the experiment had been a failure. Two days later, however, a public nengraphy demonstration was held. At that time, Mita was asked to project an image onto the sixth plate in a stack of 12. He obliged, and the demonstration was a success. But incredibly, the characters for sincerity, which he had attempted to project onto two plates in the previous experiment, appeared on the fifth and seventh plates!

This phenomenon showed that consciousness transcends time and space. Furthermore, the images on the fifth, sixth and seventh plates in a stack of 12 were all discrete. If light had penetrated the plates, the images would have been jumbled. However, the images were projected only onto the specified plates. Therefore, we now know that consciousness is free, purposeful energy that in no way resembles mechanical energy. The experiment in question was a public one, sponsored by a newspaper publisher, and conducted under the most rigorous of conditions.

The discovery of nengraphs demonstrated that consciousness possesses free energy. The importance of the revelation that there are two types of energy in existence — mechanical energy and free energy — cannot be overestimated. When Fukurai Tomokichi, the discoverer of nengraphy, was, incredibly, ousted from Tokyo Imperial University, nengraphy shared his fate, and has remained suppressed to this very day. Since Einstein's time, theoretical physicists have sought a unified theory of the cosmos. However, they have succeeded only in offering a unified theory of matter, which means that they are seeing no more than half the universe. Today, when science is so preponderant, even biology is heavily materialistic. This mechanistic, materialist outlook has wrought havoc on the human mind. If science continues to progress in this fashion, our minds will be further corrupted, and humans will be reduced to a bestial, demonic state.

Free energy exists in the cosmos. Life begins when mechanical energy and free energy become one. In this book, I present my concept of life, which is a harmonious amalgam of the material and the spiritual, engendered by the Life Ring (created by a union of material and volitional quarks). This concept was suggested by Dr. Fukurai's nengraphs.

In the early years of the 20th century, nengraphs were discovered and then, tragically, suppressed. But they have not languished in vain. I am certain that the materialist science of the 20th century will undergo a revolutionary transformation in the 21st century, all because of the principles on which nengraphy is based. If this book helps to accelerate that transformation in any way, I will be very grateful.

The remarkable Dr. Fukurai and those who lost their lives helping to further his work shall, along with nengraphy, live on for all eternity.

Yamamoto Kenzo

http://www.twilighttimesbooks.com/UnifiedTheory_synopsis.html

Hmmm...

Google only turns up 2 references, one being the one you quoted above, and the other one

http://www.twilighttimesbooks.com/ArtofHealing_ch1.html

is about the same book, The Art of Healing by Transmitting Life Energy, by Dr. Kenzo Yamamoto (with Kimiko Yamamoto). It begins
Since I first cured a disease by concentrating on prayerful repetition of the word “heal,” I have helped many people recover from illnesses. Over time, I came to understand that this healing operates on the same principle as nengraphy. If there is a principle, then anyone should be able to put it into practice, so I have taught my methods to other people, and they have cured ailing family members. Nengraphy was discovered in 1910 by Fukurai Tomokichi, a native of Takayama city in Hida, Gifu prefecture, Japan. This was a monumental discovery – great enough to overturn previous scholarship – and for that reason Fukurai found himself driven from Tokyo University, and his nengraphy discovery was effectively covered up until the present day. Nevertheless, nengraphy is real. A nengraph itself is a reproduction of a mental concept on a photographic dry plate; but the principle behind nengraphy can also be effectively applied toward curing people who are struggling with illness, by praying for them to heal. What is more, prayer of the word “heal” is something that can be done by anybody - by parents for their children, or by children for their parents. A heart devoted to this prayer for healing is a heart of utmost nobility, the purest a person’s heart can be. This heart also resembles a prayerful feeling of profound gratitude to Nature.
Interesting. How did you stumble on this little gem, Mr R.I.N.G?

You Cannot be Serious...

Let's not forget the infamous Ted Serios and his "Thoughtographs".

Last edited by a moderator:
I was researching about the Ring when I found this great page about some of the events alluded to in the original Japanese version. I was trying to find more about it and I stumbled accross the other link. But I don't think this is on Fortean Times yet, so here it is:

http://www.theringworld.com/fact.php

FACTUAL BASIS BEHIND THE RING

One of the most memorable scenes in the Ring is the grainy, black-and-white flashback of Yamamura Shizuko's psychic demonstration being held in Tokyo. In the demonstration, Shizuko is branded a fraud, after which she falls into despondency and commits suicide a year later. What you probably don't know is that this event, and the character of Yamamura Shizuko herself, is based on a real person.

Mifune Chizuko was born in 1886 in Kumamoto Prefecture. By 1909, rumors of her powers of foresight, which developed one day while practicing a kind of meditation involving deep breathing, had begun to spread throughout Kumamoto and beyond. These rumors eventually reached the ear of one Fukurai Tomokichi, Assistant Professor of Psychology at the prestigious Tokyo University. Fukurai had a deep interest in the supernatural, and used Chizuko as one of his test subjects in proving the validity of extra-sensory perception--the culmination of which was the infamous public demonstration held on September 15th, 1910.

While the actual demonstration was free of the fatality portrayed in the movie, Chizuko--like Shizuko--was accused of being a charlatan, a blow from which she never recovered. Whereas Shizuko threw herself into an active volcano, Mifune Chizuko ended her life in 1911 by ingesting poison. She was 25.

After Mifune's death, Prof. Fukurai (who was the model for Ikuma Heihachiro of the Ring films) took a woman named Nagao Ikuko under his wing. Ikuko's power was nensha, the focusing of will to produce an image on film or some other medium. Nagao too was branded a fraud, which filled her with such emotion that she developed a raging fever which ultimately led to her death. Undeterred, Fukurai would take on yet another subject--a woman by the name of Takahashi Sadako.

Sadako also practiced heavy breathing / mental concentration exercises similar to what Chizuko is reputed to have, with the result that Sadako, too, developed foresight. By 1911 (just one year later), Sadako had also developed the power of nensha. Her ability is often referred to as "latent," possibly by her husband (with whom she began the breathing / mental exercises, and who aided her in the development of her powers).

Fukurai met Sadako in 1913, and through her was able to breathe life into his sagging studies. That same year he published a book called TOUSHI TO NENSHA, which was later translated and sold in the US as Clairvoyance and Thoughtography.

Fukurai's theories never quite seemed to catch on, however, and in 1919 he quit (or was made to quit, depending on the source) his position at Tokyo Imperial university. Currently, his work lives on in the form of the Fukurai Institute of Psychology, Inc.

To the right is a page from the original Japanese edition of Fukurai Tomokichi's Clairvoyance and Thoughtography. It was Fukurai's assertion that his test subjects created these photographs using the power of nensha.

EN NO OZUNU

In the Ring novel, Shizuko's psychic powers manifested as a result of her encountering something on the ocean floor--a stone statuette that had been deliberately tossed beneath the waves. The statuette was of a religious figure whose real name was said to be Edachi-no-kimi Ozunu, but who came to be known as En no Ozunu or En no Gyoja (in English, "En the Ascetic.") Far from being a fictional character, however, records dating back more than 1,000 years indicate that En actually existed.

Born 634 AD in present-day Nara, En was said to be able to conjure spirits, walk on water and fly great distances. At age 19 he left home to devote himself to his religious studies, and spent decades meditating in the mountains and moving from region to region (the result of banishment, say several texts). In 699 at the age of 66 he arrived in Izu--which, as we saw in Ring, was the hometown of the Yamamura family.

At some point in the 7th century En no Ozunu founded Shugendo, a sect that combines Buddhist, Taoist and Shinto thought. Not only does the sect remain active to this day, its home temple is none other than Ryoanji, which has been declared a World Heritage by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

En no Goyja? very cool

the Yamabushi need a thread of their own, a cult of weird ascetics who grew their hair long, married shamanesses and got up to hi jinks in the mountains.

They were often involved in psycic scams

a favorite trick of the Shugenja was to throw stones into a persons house, so they would be hired to exorcise the demon.

The little Tengu devils are often portrayed in the dress of a yamabushi

In the novel of the Ring, Sadako's psychic ability (or her mum's, can't remember) is originally discovered by Nengraphy - the evil videotape obviously becoming an extreme example of this!

On Google, the only references to the characters mentioned are from the same story.
This makes me wonder whether this is simply a PR effort for the movie with no basis in external reality...like the 'this is based on a true story; tag for Fargo...

Here's another mention of the parapsychologist:

Fukurai Tomokichi: A Japanese Scholar Between Science and Spiritism
Lisette Gebhardt, Deutsches Institut fur Japanstudien

Fukurai Tomokichi (1869–1952) is one of the most fascinating persons in the modern Japanese history of thought and science. He studied psychology at the Faculty for Philosophy of the University of Tokyo and in 1905 earned his doctoral degree with a study on hypnosis (saiminjutsu). He became an assistant professor at the faculty in 1908. Then, his interests shifted more and more to the fields of "abnormal phenomena." While testing several persons, Fukurai encountered a strange phenomenon he called nensha (psychography), the existence of which he vigorously tried to prove during the next years. Fukurai’s inclination to a world of mysteries was not approved by his academic colleagues, who interpreted his research as non-scientific and declared that the phenomena belonged to the realm of popular belief (meishin) and should not be studied by modern scientists. Finally, Fukurai was forced out of the University of Tokyo.

In my paper I shall show how Fukurai’s position is typical for those intellectuals in modern Japan who were disappointed by Western scientific "rationalism" and looked for alternative ways to explain the conditions of human existence. In doing so, they turned to premodern Japanese models as well as to Western ideas outside of the academic mainstream such as spiritism.

http://www.aasianst.org/absts/1998abst/japan/j26.htm

And more (which is on an Asian horror site, but he is presented as real, along with other real sci-fi writers):

Fukurai, Tomokichi : Psychic researcher and Associate Professor of Psychology in the Philosophy Department of Tokyo University (1869-1952). He translated William James’s Psychology, A Briefer Course into Japanese. Originally he was interested in hypnotism which was the subject of this doctoral dissertation.

He gradually became an avid believer in the paranormal, and he studied the psychic abilities of Mifune Chizuko. Plagued with bad luck, skeptics ridiculed the results of his experiments, and Mifune committed suicide when public opinion turned against her.

Undaunted, Fukarai continued his research with the psychic Takahashi Sadako, who resigned over criticism of the research he was doing into the paranormal.. Tokyo University professor interested psychic research was not taken seriously.

Fukurai continued with the study of nensha (psychography) well into the 1930s. Work with psychic Mita Koichi, he had Mita project images of the far side of the moon in 1931 and again before an audience in 1933. Since no one knew what the far side of the moon looked like, there was no possibility for fraud. A Russian spacecraft took the first pictures of the moon’s far side in 1959 and more accurately with the Apollo missions of the 1970’s. According to Dr. Goto Motoki, the nensha do match the actual photographs of the moon’s far side.

This kind of shinrei shashin or spirit photography is the appearance of ghost and spirits on photos. This happened in Japan as well as Western countries. People in Japan still have many such photos, though such study is extremely vulnerable to fraud.

Fukurai is still a subject of interest and controversy today. The 32nd Convention of the Japan Society for Parapsychology (JSPP) featured a panel discussion about Fukurai’s work.

http://www.angelfire.com/sk3/asianhorror/f.html

EDIT to add this site, which has the Japanese language website of the still-operating Fukurai Institute of Psychology, Inc.

http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/islis/misc/links.htm

And he's on a page of Japanese mystics:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis-Mars/1237/mystics.html

Well, I had never heard of him....

But theres so much fastinating Japanese stuff that has never been translated.

More explicit detail about what the psychic experiments were that Chizuko Mifune did. She was initially diagnosing sickness, and sensing things like valuable coal deposits, which led to her being tested:

https://medium.com/the-crime-scene/...une-the-owner-of-the-sixth-sense-73c3b1ed3145

News reports about Chizuko's ability stirred up the Japanese scientific community, which then held a proving event. An invitation asking for Chizuko to came to Teikyo University, Tokyo. Precisely on September 14, 1932, scientists from all over the country came together to witness the greatness of Chizuko.

The test that day used a small tube made of metal in which there was a paper written with three kanji letters and sealed by the committee. Chizuko was asked to show what letter was written on the tube without opening it. Through concentration for a moment, Chizuko wrote the three letters referred to on another paper. After the committee opened the box, it was proven that none of the three letters she had guessed had missed. But the committee at that time did not admit and accused Chizuko of fraud. The scientists who witnessed asked the committee to conduct a retest.

The retest, this time, in a different place and was carried out more strictly. The scientist who came asked to check the seal, making sure the tube's writing was safe. The three kanji were deliberately written differently from the letters on the first test, and again Chizuko manages to guess the three kanji characters correctly. Scientists were amazed by it.

Despite witnessing the greatness of vision, scientists were still trying to deny it. Even in an interview conducted by the media, they still did not want to acknowledge Chizuko’s abilities. The next mistake was made by the media, who also conveyed the views of scientists.

The media writes that her clairvoyance was not proven, and considered a con artist. The news made Chizuko hurt, and she eventually left Tokyo to return home. The negative impact of media coverage apparently made the surrounding community also reproach her.

Back