• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I didn't speak to them directly but I was told it was around £500 per call out (this was in the early to mid 90's). I can't remember if that included expenses or you got those as an extra. You were part of a team (obviously), I was told that more often than not, it would be kids I'd be scraping up so I didn't want to do it.
On top of the basic salary, were you allowed to pick up tips?:cool2:

Oh I know LOTS of stories about that particular job, often heard from first-hand witnesses.

There was this one time...

*pushes plate away*

Oh I know LOTS of stories about that particular job, often heard from first-hand witnesses.

There was this one time...

*pushes plate away*
That job reminds me of the notorious film 'Nekromantic' ... a guy paid to pick up body parts from accidents starts taking them home to spice up his and his girlfriend's sex life .. as you do ..

WARNING .. VERY SICK AND VERY NSFW but it's on Youtube somehow ..

Here's a candidate for the award:-

Child seen lying over edge of Trowbridge railway platform

A child was witnessed lying with his head over the edge of a railway station platform prompting an investigation by British Transport Police.

A photo posted online of the incident, which took place in Trowbridge, Wiltshire on Saturday afternoon, has since gone viral on social media.

Tim Brown, who took the photo, said when he challenged the boy's guardian he was told he was a "do-gooder". (c) BBC'18

Escapologist feared dead after failing to surface whilst replicating famous Houdini underwater stunt.
Tragic story obviously, but I must admit the bit in the article about him having been almost lynched in 2013 when crowds suspected him of trickery, made me smile. Presumably they believed he had genuine supernatural powers and insisted on seeing "real" magic only.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...hiri-feared-dead-in-houdini-style-river-stunt

The Chinese have a reputation for eating anything, likely seen as a way of keeping the population down

I'm not exactly sure why Youtube thinks I might want to see this!

Maybe I do but it's a long time since I searched for a video on the subject of circumcision. This one was posted in the last week and the word is just in the title as a conjecture.

Anyway, you might as well see it too.

Despite the title, "Asian Kid Gets Circumcision By Fire," he looks old enough to know better. He would have got off lightly, if any of his tackle was left after this inferno. :omg:

I saw that. Apparently some people believe if they didn't catch the virus they're invincible.

Anyway, you might as well see it too.

You can't now - I see it has been removed from Youtube, leaving people only to speculate what it was!

Nothing to do with the horrid operation in the title, iirc the video depicted a youth showing off by drinking a blazing cocktail.

It did not reach his mouth but spilled onto his crotch, still blazing. If anything at all remained down there, he would be lucky! :(

Man Blowing Up ATM Killed in Philadelphia

A man was killed in Philadelphia while allegedly blowing up an ATM machine early Tuesday morning.

atm-explosion.jpg

The incident appears to have been part of the riot mayhem in the city. Young men have reportedly been bombing ATMs in several neighborhoods.

In all, a source tells CBS3 some 30 ATMs have been damaged and an undisclosed amount of money has been stolen.

Police say the deceased 24-year-old man tried using an explosive device to blow up the ATM by Sidekicks Sports Bar, but when the device went off, he was thrown to the ground with serious injuries. He was rushed to a nearby hospital and died.

https://www.policemag.com/557873/man-blowing-up-atm-killed-in-philadelphia

maximus otter

This bizarre case was on today's Quora.
I know it's rather old, but I felt it merited a place here:

On July 9, 1993, Toronto lawyer Garry Hoy was doing his favorite party trick: hurling himself at his office's windows to show their strength. But this time, his stunt failed.
In 1993, lawyer Garry Hoy fell 24 floors to his death while demonstrating the tensile strength of his office windows to a group of visiting law students. Far from being an unusual incident, body-checking window safety was his signature - and fatal - move.

Garry.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Garry_Hoy

This bizarre case was on today's Quora.
I know it's rather old, but I felt it merited a place here:

On July 9, 1993, Toronto lawyer Garry Hoy was doing his favorite party trick: hurling himself at his office's windows to show their strength. But this time, his stunt failed.
In 1993, lawyer Garry Hoy fell 24 floors to his death while demonstrating the tensile strength of his office windows to a group of visiting law students. Far from being an unusual incident, body-checking window safety was his signature - and fatal - move.

View attachment 63653

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Garry_Hoy

Actually, I remember reading about this case. He was half right. He was making the point that the windows were shatterproof and would not break. And indeed, they didn't break. However, the impact knocked the whole pane out of its socket and he descended to the ground - accompanied by an unbroken window panel.
I doubt if it survived the fall, however.

Actually, I remember reading about this case. He was half right. He was making the point that the windows were shatterproof and would not break. And indeed, they didn't break. However, the impact knocked the whole pane out of its socket and he descended to the ground - accompanied by an unbroken window panel.
I doubt if it survived the fall, however.
It might have been the same pane that he'd bashed countless times before. He probably broke the seal the previous time he did it.

Last edited:
It might have the same pane that he'd bashed countless times before. He probably broke the seal the previous time he did it.

Whatever the precise causality, Hoy's unnecessary demise would appear to be a prime candidate for the Darwin awards.

I wonder when and why he came up with the idea to do that. A sort of eureka moment perhaps as in, 'Ah ha, I've got it, I'll throw myself at this window on the 20th floor.... that'll impress them'.

Back