• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

New FOAF Story!

A

Anonymous

a friend from work told me today that chester was under threat from terrorist attack. someone's wife from work was in mcdonalds chester when a man with a broad irish accent asked her for twenty pence as he didnt have enogh to pay for his meal. The woman gave him the money and she left. Outside the restaurant the man again spoke to the woman and again thanked her and also warned her to stay out of chester for three weeks. The woman went to the police and told the story and was shown a book of mugshots. She then picked out the man who was an ira terrorist. I have heard this story from three different sources today !

Yup, Urban myths breed from our greatest fears, and with everyone mindful of terrorist attack at the moment, it's inevitable that terrorism myths will gain more popularity.

What's astonishing me is the speed in which these have sprung up... as well as the US Attack-themed chain emails (I've already got the "add your name to this long list and send it to George Bush" one, and the fake Nostradamus prediction one) and sick hoax rumour/myths (someone told me they'd heard George Michael was on board one of the planes that crashed into the WTC!).

WTC crash passengers

I was actually present (yes, me, not my friend or HIS friend) when an urban legend was still-born.

Talking to a guy who runs a furniture shop near my home, about the WTC incident he suddenly says "Did you know that the comedian (sic) Chevy Chase was on one of the planes?"
I was startled as I had followed the events all day and felt sure such a big name would have been mentioned.
He continued "I was watching CNN and they were scrolling the names at the bottom of the screen when I spotted it"
It was then the penny dropped, CNN was giving the names and home town or State, he'd seen (say) "Charles Smith, Chevy Chase" - which is in Maryland - I told him and he admitted he'd never heard of the place...
So I can take credit for strangling that particular UL at birth !!

The first time I saw the list with names and hometowns I said to myself "I'll bet someone is going to think that Chevy Chase was on the plane." Guess I was right!

sureshot

lycanthrope said:
Ok don't hurt the newbie but my cousin who uses these boards told me another board user who is friends with James Whitehead said that he channels this alien. James channels this alien to gain information to write so many well written posts.

Well it would explain a lot but let's not jump to conclusions. There has to be a logical explanation for JWs level of quality posts. Actually I don't think there is.

Cujo

I heard the George Michael thing, but there have been many mis-reports about the recent terrorism, especially early on...

I did also hear that the hijackers on one of the 9/11 flights used plastic knifes.

Other stories to go down in history (I heard this in the early hours one morning on BBC New 24) must include that of a man who in the week following, went to a flying school in morroco. When they tutor tried to show him how to land and take off, he wasn't interested - he said he simply wanted to learn to fly in a straight line. He was promptly arrested.

lycanthrope said:
Ok don't hurt the newbie but my cousin who uses these boards told me another board user who is friends with James Whitehead said that he channels this alien. James channels this alien to gain information to write so many well written posts.

You do realise that having friends disqualifies you from using this Message Board?

:D

James Whitehead channeling an alien!

I have heard some silly stuff before but lycanthrope that takes the biscuit! If I recall James knows all his stuff because he has a lot of books. He just reads a lot.

lucydru

"James Whitehead" is actually the name of a government focus group employed to ready the world for future announcements of a Fortean nature... he has 60 years of "Real X Files" to draw from for his informed replies!

BTW I have both cousins AND friends, but do I hell as like talk to any of them...

Ok James has a big purple head! That isn't normal (for us even). He has admitted it himself.

luce

Back