• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'New Guidelines' On How To Report UFOs From U.S. Navy

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
The U.S. Navy Is Working On 'New Guidelines' On How To Report UFOs
The service says it has also 'provided a series of briefings by senior Naval Intelligence officials as well as aviators who reported hazards to aviation safety.'

The U.S. Navy is drafting new guidelines for pilots and other personnel to report encounters with "unidentified aircraft," a significant new step in creating a formal process to collect and analyze the unexplained sightings — and destigmatize them.
The previously unreported move is in response to a series of sightings of unknown, highly advanced aircraft intruding on Navy strike groups and other sensitive military formations and facilities, the service says.

"There have been a number of reports of unauthorized and/or unidentified aircraft entering various military-controlled ranges and designated air space in recent years," the Navy said in a statement in response to questions from POLITICO. "For safety and security concerns, the Navy and the [U.S. Air Force] takes these reports very seriously and investigates each and every report.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/23/us-navy-guidelines-reporting-ufos-1375290

To be quite honest I don't see the point in reporting 'sightings' at all...and I 'm referring here to lights in the sky type of things.
I suppose if a ufo crashed and started a fire or caused some building damage I would do the right thing and call the police but
just to report seeing something strange..? Nothing good usually ever comes from this to many witnesses. That might sound 'cynical' but it's true.
ps: I understand it's another matter for military personnel.

I think it's more a reflection of the fact that the American Agencies lost control or influence over this agenda and hope to re-claim it. The world has moved on and left them behind.

There is a very real risk that an unidentified aircraft could cause a collision or loss of control during an avoiding manoeuvre. Some of these unidentified aircraft could be drones, small civilian aircraft, balloons or flying lanterns, any of which could cause a hazard and which might possibly be controlled by terrorists or pranksters. Drone events in particular are very likely to increase in number and become more capable of causing events with real military significance, or create danger to civilians.

So this new procedure is a very good thing. Whether it will uncover any events with Fortean significance is another matter.

The U.S. Navy has drafted a procedure to investigate and catalogue reports of unidentified flying objects coming in from its pilots. But the service doesn't expect to make the information public, citing privileged and classified reporting that is typically included in such files.

Joe Gradisher, a spokesman for the office of the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, said in a statement that the Navy expects to keep the information it gathers private for a number of reasons.

"Military aviation safety organizations always retain reporting of hazards to aviation as privileged information in order to preserve the free and honest prioritization and discussion of safety among aircrew," Gradisher said. "Furthermore, any report generated as a result of these investigations will, by necessity, include classified information on military operations." He added, "Therefore, no release of information to the general public is expected."

The Navy's recent decision to draft formal guidelines for pilots to document encounters with unexplained aerial phenomena comes after the revelation in late 2017 that the Pentagon ran a secret "UFO" office that spent $22 million over five years to collect and analyze "anomalous aerospace threats." Funding for the office, known as the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program, or AATIP, officially ended in 2012, though operations continued.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/UFO-information-not-expected-to-go-to-general-13810876.php

maximus otter

There is a very real risk that an unidentified aircraft could cause a collision or loss of control during an avoiding manoeuvre. Some of these unidentified aircraft could be drones, small civilian aircraft, balloons or flying lanterns, any of which could cause a hazard and which might possibly be controlled by terrorists or pranksters. Drone events in particular are very likely to increase in number and become more capable of causing events with real military significance, or create danger to civilians.

So this new procedure is a very good thing. Whether it will uncover any events with Fortean significance is another matter.

Their is the very real risk that the US Military could cause significant loss of life. I'm with the drones, flying balloons and lanterns on this one.

Their is the very real risk that the US Military could cause significant loss of life. I'm with the drones, flying balloons and lanterns on this one.
Are y'all reading the articles, listening to the pilots who encounter them?? And you think these are lanterns? Swamp gas? :D

"Chris Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence and staffer on the Senate Intelligence Committee, was less laudatory.
“I don’t believe in safety through ignorance,” he said, scolding the intelligence community for a lack of “curiosity and courage” and a “failure to react” to a strong pattern of sightings.
In some cases, pilots — many of whom are engineers and academy graduates — claimed to observe small spherical objects flying in formation. Others say they’ve seen white, Tic Tac-shaped vehicles. Aside from drones, all engines rely on burning fuel to generate power, but these vehicles all had no air intake, no wind and no exhaust.

“It’s very mysterious, and they still seem to exceed our aircraft in speed,” he said, calling it a “truly radical technology.”
According to Mellon, awestruck and baffled pilots, concerned that reporting unidentified flying aircraft would adversely affect their careers, tended not to speak up. And when they did, he said, there was little interest in investigating their claims.
“Imagine you see highly advanced vehicles, they appear on radar systems, they look bizarre, no one knows where they’re from. This happens on a recurring basis, and no one does anything,” said Mellon, who now works for To the Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences. Because agencies do not share this type of information, it is difficult to know the full extent of activity. Still, he estimated that dozens of incidents were witnessed by naval officers in a single year, enough to force the service to address the issue."

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fravor+interview

From Chris Mellon:

"Since 2015, dozens of Navy F-18 fighter jets have encountered unidentified aerial phenomenon (UAPs) — once commonly referred to as UFOs — off the East Coast of the United States, some not far from the nation’s capital. Encounters have been reported by other military aircraft and civilian airliners elsewhere in the U.S. and abroad, too, including videos shot by airline passengers."

https://thehill.com/opinion/nationa...wn-force-flying-overhead-congress-should-find

Oh....they are just mirages...hallucinations......you know...... things not really there.
Not to worry.....

;)

Since 2015, dozens of Navy F-18 fighter jets have encountered unidentified aerial phenomenon (UAPs) — once commonly referred to as UFOs — off the East Coast of the United States, some not far from the nation’s capital.
Dozens? Really? The encounters described by Elizondo happened in 2004, and the author of this piece, Christopher Mellon, seems to be basing his statement on a quote by a US Navy spokeman which says "There have been a number of reports of unauthorized and/or unidentified aircraft entering various military-controlled ranges and designated air space in recent years". This is not "dozens since 2015"- Mellon should either check his facts or provide better evidence.

Concerning the reports in 2004, the excellent analyses by Metabunk seems to show that the objects sighted were probably a bird and a terrestrial aircraft (possibly a drone). I only wish that we could get this standard of evidence in every case, so that the mundane causes of every UAP could be determined (or otherwise).

Concerning the reports in 2004, the excellent analyses by Metabunk seems to show that the objects sighted were probably a bird and a terrestrial aircraft (possibly a drone). I only wish that we could get this standard of evidence in every case, so that the mundane causes of every UAP could be determined (or otherwise).
Hopefully more footage will be released soon, there is apparently, a lot more. I'm sure there is a lot of old footage being held, too.

Another NY Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/us/politics/ufo-sightings-navy-pilots.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The pilot and his wingman were flying in tandem about 100 feet apart over the Atlantic east of Virginia Beach when something flew between them, right past the cockpit. It looked to the pilot, Lieutenant Graves said, like a sphere encasing a cube.

This has been posted elsewhere on the forum, but thanks, anyway. The clips are certainly real, but the objects they show are not necessarily alien, and do not display any characteristics that cannot be replicated by mundane aircraft or other objects. They are, as noted by the Navy, unexplained at present, and probably will remain so.

Pentagon officially releases UFO videos

Source: CNN
Date: 27 April, 2020

Washington(CNN)The Pentagon has officially released three short videos showing "unidentified aerial phenomena" that had previously been released by a private company.

The videos show what appear to be unidentified flying objects rapidly moving while recorded by infrared cameras. Two of the videos contain service members reacting in awe at how quickly the objects are moving. One voice speculates that it could be a drone.

The Navy previously acknowledged the veracity of the videos in September of last year. They are officially releasing them now, "in order to clear up any misconceptions by the public on whether or not the footage that has been circulating was real, or whether or not there is more to the videos," according to Pentagon spokesperson Sue Gough.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/27/politics/pentagon-ufo-videos/index.html

P.S. Where's feinman?

:exercise:

I recommend this short video by Mick West. He has also produced much longer ones- but the results are the same; these clips can be explained by mundane objects.

Today the Navy officially released three videos of UFOs. They are called FLIR, GIMBAL and GOFAST. The internet immediately took this as meaning that aliens are real. But the videos are not actually new. They were internally declassified back in 2017, and immediately released by Tom DeLonge's To The Stars Academy. I started writing about them in December 2017. With the help of others, I quickly arrived at likely explanations for all three videos.

The FLIR video is most likely a distant plane. The video was taken well after the famous encounter with a hypersonic zig-zagging tic-tac by pilots from the NIMITZ. This object doesn't actually move on screen - except when the camera moves, and it resembles an out of focus low-resolution backlit plane. I don't know what the pilots saw, but this video does not show anything really interesting.

The GIMBAL video is also probably of a plane. .... It's not rotating. What you see is the infrared glare of the engines, larger than the plane. It looks like it is rotating because of an artifact of the gimbal-mounted camera system. This is all a bit confusing, so I made several videos explaining it. Oh, and the "AURA" around the plane, that's just image sharpening. It happens all the time in thermal camera footage. It's not an alien warp drive, it's just the unsharp mask filter.

The GO-FAST video probably shows a balloon. It's not moving fast, it's not skimming the water, and you can verify this yourself because all the information you need is in the numbers on screen. It's just an effect caused by parallax.

Over the last few years, I've made a variety of videos explaining all this.
You can find the playlist here: Source: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CVnqTx_c0P3O2t

That's good Eburacum, thank you. I watched this one too
where he explains how something that is apparently "haulin' asss" is (when you do some trigonometry using the data in the video, rather than relying on your puny human eyes and everyday experience) probably a weather balloon. I know, it's a cliche. But he's very polite about it ('perhaps they didn't do the maths, or perhaps they didn't like the answer').

This is pretty good:

The Nimitz Encounters (2019) - A short documentary on the Nimitz carrier strike group encounters with unknown objects tracked and intercepted by Navy pilots. The subject of recently authenticated and declassified video by the U.S Dept Of Defense.

The Japanese military will not be reporting any sightings it seems...

Japan’s military pilots have never encountered UFOs, defence minister says

A UFO researcher in
Japan
has expressed surprise at the announcement by Defence Minister Taro Kono that military pilots have not previously encountered an unidentified flying object (UFO), but that a plan will be drawn up on how best to respond in such a scenario.
Kono was on Tuesday responding to a question in a press conference about the release of videos taken by US Navy pilots that allegedly show a series of
encounters with UFOs
. The Japanese Ministry of Defence will ask its counterparts at the Pentagon for additional details about the clips, Kono said, including analysis of just what the footage shows.
“No SDF [Self-Defence Force] pilot has encountered a UFO. The videos have come from the US Defence Department so I would like to hear their analysis,” Kato said. “I don’t really believe in
UFOs
. We would like to establish procedures in the event an encounter takes place with a UFO.”
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/poli...ry-pilots-have-never-encountered-ufos-defence

Back