• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

New Insect Order (Mantophasmatodea / Notoptera)

A

Anonymous

i thought some of you guys might find this interesting. Now we have 31 insect orders instead of 30. Isnt that great?

It doesnt tell much about what this new insect is like but aparentlyi the insect has had no interaction with other species and may have been like that for thousands of years.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200203190253.html

hi Tang

CBS news reported it as being a cross between a cricket and a locust, they didn't give a source though.

Does that mean it runs round wearing lycra and throwing other insects from heights onto padded landing areas? :D

No, it means it enjoys overly long movies and bears a striking resemblance to Russell Crowe.

Nonny

heres a pic of the new insect.

story.cricket.ap.jpg

I assume its facing toward the front of the frame. To me it looks like something ropy from a Jon Pertwee Dr Who ( He says, showing his age)

8¬)

Im not sure Harley, by looking at its legs id say its facing to the right but then again i could be wrong, it doenst have a destinctive head.

Is it possible that the new insect (Mantophasmatodea, featured in the July issue) could be living in places other than Namibia? I was in the Yucatan about a year ago when a strange insect landed on me, which freaked the hell out me because its was just so odd. And then low and behold I open up Fortean Times and there is that THING.

These insect types have more recently been found in South Africa.

It seems the taxonomists have reorganized things so that this group and another are now combined into the more recently established order Notoptera.

Mantophasmatidae is a family of carnivorous wingless insects within the order Notoptera, which was discovered in Africa in 2001. Originally, the group was regarded as an order in its own right, and named Mantophasmatodea, but, using recent evidence indicating a sister group relationship with Grylloblattidae (formerly classified in the order Grylloblattodea), Arillo and Engel have combined the two groups into a single order, Notoptera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantophasmatidae

Back