• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

New Thunderbirds Series For ITV

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Thunderbirds to be remade for ITV series in 2015
Page last updated at 12:29 GMT, Monday, 4 February 2013
By Del Crookes, Newsbeat reporter

The team behind visual effects on films like The Hobbit and The Adventures Of Tintin is to help produce a remake of 1960s TV series, Thunderbirds.
The Weta Workshop, which has also worked on King Kong and Avatar, is co-producing the new show with New Zealand-based Pukeko Pictures.

Thunderbirds Are Go! will broadcast on ITV in 2015 and will feature CGI animation and live-action model sets.

The show was created by Gerry Anderson, who died in December aged 83.
Thunderbirds, created by Anderson and his second wife, Sylvia, was first broadcast on ITV in 1965.

With the catchphrase "Thunderbirds are go!" and featuring the secret emergency service run by the Tracy family and helped by London agent Lady Penelope and her butler, Parker, it became popular again in the 1990s.

In 1966, Thunderbirds was made into a major feature film, which was followed by a sequel two years later, Thunderbird 6.
A live-action film version of Thunderbirds was released in 2004.

ITV Studios' UK managing director Denise O'Donoghue said: "Thunderbirds is a highly respected brand that continues to hold recognition around the world. This cult series is often credited as changing the history of animation and action-adventure."
ITV and children's channel CiTV will broadcast the new series in 26 half-hour episodes.

Anderson, famous for the use of "supermarionation", or the use of modified puppets, was also known for creating TV Shows Captain Scarlet and Stingray.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21321230

Darn it, I was saying the other week this needed doing! Should be good though with Weta on the job. :)

The Star Wars Clone Wars show does a good job of looking almost like wooden puppets in a CGI manner.

But, really, what is wrong with just repeating the old Thunderbirds. Can only imagine how many ways this new version will appear lame to older viewers.

And, what is the point of making a new Thunderbirds for anyone older than twelve, anyway?

From Comic Book Resources
link to article

(emphasis added to important details)

Thunderbirds Are Go Again
Monday, February 4th, 2013 at 10:45am

* by TJ Dietsch
* Animation, Television

Thunderbirds Are Go Again

When it comes to vehicle-piloting marionettes traveling around the planet and thwarting evil, Thunderbirds is where it’s at. The original series created by Gerry Anderson aired in the United Kingdom for 32 episodes between 1965 and 1966, and while it didn’t last long, it became an enduring cult favorite. And now it’s heading back to television

Deadline reports ITV Studios is joining forces with Weta Workshop and Pukeko Pictures to get Thunderbirds back in the air with 26 new episodes. The series, called Thunderbirds Are Go! after the original’s iconic battle cry, will still focus on former astronaut Jeff Tracy and his five heroic sons, but will look a bit different. The producers will employ live-action sets along with CG-animated figures.

Rob Hoegee, who has been a writer and story editor on cartoons like Legion of Super-Heroes, Teen Titans Go! and Generator Rex, will act as head writer. Thunderbirds Are Go! is slated to return to U.K. television in 2015, with no word yet on how, when or where it will make its way to the United States.
Tags: ITV Studios, Pukeko Pictures, Rob Hoegee, Thunderbirds, Thunderbirds Are Go!, Weta Workshop

I wonder if they'll go along with Gerry Anderson's wishes and leave "ugly bastard" John stuck in Thunderbird 5 all series?

I love Thunderbirds, but i would love to see a remake of U.F.O. instead, so long as they kept the original theme music.

And i hope they do something about those stupid Intercepters, one shot each is just ridiculous. I like the UFOs tho, altho they could have done with some stabilisers, tad wobbly sometimes.
My fav Thunderbird is two :D

My fav Thunderbird is two
Everyone's favourite Thunderbird is 2.

It's a nice design that's hard to mess with. It's the only one from the 2004 movie that looked any good, primarily because the changes from the original design were minimal.

Everyone's favourite Thunderbird is 2.

Not necessarily, when I was a kid my favourite was Thunderbird 3, because it went into space. Obviously Thunderbird 5 was permanently in space, but that didn't occur to me at the time.

Not necessarily, when I was a kid my favourite was Thunderbird 3, because it went into space. Obviously Thunderbird 5 was permanently in space, but that didn't occur to me at the time.

When I was little I was convinced the Scott Monument in Edinburgh was an early version of Thunderbird 3

Just had a quick google and they do have that look about them. As long as the Thunderbirds themselves are okay, that's the important bit :)

I totally expect to see them relaxing around the pool sipping cocktails with umbrellas in and vaping continuously on ecigs this time around.

I would have thought Team America had the last word on this franchise.

Not sure if you've ever had the dubious pleasure of watching "Tree-Fu Tom", but that's what that image put me in mind of.
Well spotted! It might be the same animators.

There's something very important missing in that trailer

Yeah, they might at least have added the "this episode" montage music at the beginning of the 60s episodes. Still, it does look like the sadly neglected Captain Scarlet reboot of ten years ago, which may be no bad thing.

They did at least use the original countdown. I can't see a credit for Jeff Tracy on the IMDB page, either, but Peter Dyneley died in 1977.

I take back my earlier comment about not being able to mess up Thunderbird 2. Something about those massive jet intakes doesn't look right. And I don't think FAB-1 should fly, either.

Last edited:
Not too bad, good use of colour and pleasing dramatic music - just felt the episode rushed through everything too much.

Back