• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

New York, New York

Urvogel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In a few weeks I'll be off to New York city and fancy checking out some more...Fortean attractions. Any suggestions of interesting places I can visit?

I was going to suggest seeing if there was a way to get to North Brother Island, but apparently it's quite difficult (see here. You could go guerrilla, but I suspect that's even harder.

I posted some other links with photographs etc a couple of posts down this page.

Also, it's probably well worth checking out the following link which I recently came across while looking into another matter. Like so many things you trip over on the net, it was kind of irrelevant (although interesting) in regards to my search then, but has now found it's purpose: New York Secrets. I love it when that happens.

If I had the money, I'd buy it. I'm struggling to think of why no developer would touch it.

... I'm struggling to think of why no developer would touch it.

The following reasons occur to me:

- It's surrounded by less-than-scenic / less-than-'upper shelf' areas (e.g., lots of industrial facilities; the Rikers Island detention complex; residential neighborhoods not known for affluence)

- North Brother Island has a long history of serving as a place for isolating diseased people (e.g., Typhoid Mary), and it was the shore nearest the General Slocum disaster. The place might therefore induce 'the creeps' in some folks.

- Development would require overturning its status as a wildlife sanctuary - a big project in and of itself.

- Any development project would entail huge expenses for demolishing the many decrepit buildings, etc., still decaying in place there.

In the video, it is suggested that the main disincentive is the need to transport building materials and equipment to the island.

Enola's third objection is unmentioned in the video but it may be the clincher, along with those less-than-scenic issues. :)

The video comment about the disincentive resulting from being under the flight-path for La Guardia Airport struck me as a very odd factor. Surely NYC is awash with every conceivable noise at all times?

Surely NYC is awash with every conceivable noise at all times?

I suppose it would detract from the remote-island-of-calm feeling which any luxury development might hope to make a selling-point.

It seems caught in a cleft stick: too expensive for utilitarian purposes but too small, close and noisy to be properly exclusive. :frust:

Meanwhile, if its Wildlife Sanctuary is official, it is probably not up for sale anyway!

Back